Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sirrus Sport, Trek FX 3 or Cannondale Quick Disc 5?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-18, 05:48 AM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I have tried all 3 and can't really decide. I suspect you can't go wrong with any of these, but any thoughts would be welcomed. These are all in the $700ish range. I am not a big rider but have aspirations of getting into it a little bit more. As such I was also looking at the lower end versions ie. regular Sirrus and Trek FX 2 etc. Those are in the $500 range. Second part of my question is whether it is worth the additional $200 to go up in quality. Thanks!
Old 07-03-18, 07:26 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I presume you're comparing the disc brake versions of each.
  • Specialized Sirrus Sport ($800): 2x9 Shimano Sora drivetrain with Microshift shifters and Tektro hydraulic disc brakes.
  • Trek FX 3 Disc ($780): 3x9 Shimano Alivio/Acera drivetrain with Shimano shifters and Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. Extra credit for the through-axle front hub!
  • Cannondale Quick Disc 5 ($650): 3x9 Shimano Acera/Altus drivetrain with Shimano shifters and Tektro hydraulic disc brakes.
Because they're all equally comfortable to you, it looks like the Cannondale probably offers the best value, at $650. It's another $130 to the Trek, with a marginally better drivetrain (splitting hairs, really), and similar shifters and brakes. The through-axle front hub is nice, though. The Specialized does not seem to offer the level of equipment that I'd expect of the most expensive choice of the three. I wouldn't prefer the 2x9 Sora drivetrain (lower level road drivetrain), and it doesn't appear to offer any other advantages over the others. Maybe you like that color the best, though! There's value in that.
Old 07-03-18, 10:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I have the non-disk version of the FX 3. Can't really comment on the other 2, and would defer to hokiefyd's opinion on the drive trains anyway.

What I would mention is that I really like the fork/handlebar combination on the FX 3. I find that the carbon fork smooths out the ride a lot, and I like the Isozone handlebars for the same reason--I'm not taking a lot of vibrations and bumps to the hands. The shape of the handlebars is proprietary, so you do need to buy a $12 pair of adapters to mount bar ends, but that's a very trivial annoyance.

Maybe somebody can offer some perspective about the other two, but I can say that the FX 3 is a very fast hybrid, definitely leaning to the road bike end of the spectrum. I can regularly crank it up to about 23-24 mph in the flat, and am comfortable cruising at 19.5-20.5 mph. I did upgrade the tires to a slicker road tire, don't know if you're intending to take some dirt, and whether the nobbier tires might lower speed.
Old 07-03-18, 01:55 PM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
What I would mention is that I really like the fork/handlebar combination on the FX 3. I find that the carbon fork smooths out the ride a lot...
This is a great point. I neglected to look at the fork construction. The Cannondale uses an alloy fork, while the Trek and Specialized both use carbon fiber, which definitely explains the cost difference, and why the Cannondale is $130 cheaper. It looks like the Quick 4 ($700, with carbon fork and rim brakes) or the Quick 3 Disc ($870, with carbon fork, hydraulic brakes, and Shimano Sora 2x9) are closer competitors.
Old 07-03-18, 04:08 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
They are all comparable, but I think the Sirrus is the nicest looking hybrid on the market, I love mine and just added a road bike a week ago after two great years on the Sirrus, and yes, I'm keeping the Sirrus.

So what it comes down to since they are all similar is what bike do you LIKE the most and see yourself on? which one speaks to you? Get that one.
Old 07-03-18, 05:04 PM
HobieKen 

Bikes: 2021 TREK Rail 5, 2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy, 2017 Cannondale Quick 5 Disc

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I bought a Quick 5 Disc after riding it and a Sirrus(not a sport IIRC) side by side, no one close had a TREK in my size, XL. The Quick just felt better to me, but not by much. And it had hydraulic brakes instead of cable disc, for what its worth. The bike has been flawless, not even a squeak, I don't know if it's the bike or great set up by the shop or what, but it's just been perfect for my needs. Not crazy about the color, but it is what it is. Not a recommendation, honestly, I believe any of the 3 would have been great. Just my experience. Get what looks best to you, consider the shop, what feels best to you.
Old 07-03-18, 06:49 PM
kosmo886

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
So I took the Sirrus Sport, Cannondale Quick Disc 5 and Giant Escape 1 (all with disc brakes) for a quick spin today. I rode the Trek FX 2 and 4...they didn't have the 3 in stock. The only thing I am sure of is that I did not like the Cannondale. Just felt funny and shifting wasn't as smooth as the others. I think I like the Giant the best, but frankly it is pretty tough to distinguish. Would the Giant be a solid bike/decent value at $700? Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-04-18, 06:23 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by kosmo886
Would the Giant be a solid bike/decent value at $700? Thanks for all the help!
Yes. It comes with a carbon fork, Tektro hydraulic disc brakes, and a 3x9 Alivio/Altus drivetrain. The Escape also has frame clearance for larger tires if you're interested in that.
Old 07-06-18, 05:08 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have a Sirrus and 2 Giants (Defy and Cypress). Overall I think that Giant gives you more bang for the buck.