Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

reliable old SS cranks

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

reliable old SS cranks

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 08:25 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
reliable old SS cranks

I have a Traitor Crusade singlespeed cyclocross bike. fun for long urban rides on mixed surfaces and gravel races. I have the stock 36/16 gearing, but the FSA Comet crankset (modular spider with 96mm asym BCD) is making it challenging to put a bigger ring on it. FSA and their silly proprietary stuff that is never in stock!

I would like to replace the crankset with something that is reliable and cheap, and will have easy-to-find 38-42 tooth rings. Shimano 24mm road cranks would be great, but I am considering other options. New cranksets for this kind of riding are an option are limited, so I am going to check out the used/ co-op market. what would you want in a cheap, old crankset for this kind of thing? square taper is probably fine. 10 speed Shimano 105? Octalink Ultegra 9 speed are probably cheap and easy to find. what else would be a solid performance oriented option that I can find used or pretty cheap? lightweight would be nice, but I am not a weight weenie.
Old 07-19-18, 03:11 PM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
SRAM S300's or Sugino RD2's. Both are solid 130 BCD cranks. If you pick up a new set of S300's beware that you may have to drill out the factory chainring bolts. When I got mine the chainring bolts were impossible to remove due to the green loctite SRAM uses at the factory. Other than that I've been really happy with them.
Old 07-19-18, 03:16 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
SRAM S300s look like a good option.

I think I am going to get some "old" modern ten-speed 105 cranks. 24mm spindle and all that.

since this is a singlespeed drivetrain and not a 1x, is there any reason I should not just use the 39t inner chainring instead of buying a singlespeed specific chainring? it's a standard road double, so I could remove the big ring, install some short chainring bolts, and keep the smaller 39t ring. to the best of my knowledge, the 39t on a double ring looks an awful lot like a SS ring.