Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Old 01-30-14, 05:57 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pedaled to the downtown library today. About a 45 min ride each way. The headwind coming home provided an extra workout.
Old 01-30-14, 07:15 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Beautiful ride to work and back today! With warmer temperatures in the 20s, a few inches of snowfall, and heavy cloud cover, it reminded me of the Michigan winter days of my youth
Old 01-31-14, 01:24 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Beautiful ride to work and back today! With warmer temperatures in the 20s, a few inches of snowfall, and heavy cloud cover, it reminded me of the Michigan winter days of my youth
We haven't made it up to the 20s in the last couple weeks. Tomorrow it's supposed to 24, but of course 6 more inches of snow. One meteorological model shows a major winter storm for Wisconsin and Michigan on February 6. Get ready!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-02-14, 12:41 AM
wilfried

Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Rode to work and back, which is just under three miles each way. They I rode 13 miles each way to go to a birthday party way uptown, almost to the northermost tip of Manhattan. The party was '80s themed, and got to relive some of my salad days. And I got a glitter tattoo. Between the riding and the dancing, I guess I got my aerobic exercise for the day.
Old 02-02-14, 01:38 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Walked about 2 km round trip to the bank and drugstore. Too snowy/slushy/puddly to ride, and anyway I usually walk that short a trip for the exercise. Hardly worth it to ride.
Old 02-04-14, 04:28 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
I walked across the attic, twice. It's approximately 4 feet high in the middle with not much to stand on, so carrying stuff there is a challenge. That's worth a mile or two of walking outside.
Old 02-04-14, 09:26 PM
seafoamer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stayin' at my folks new house for a few days before I rent my next place. Took an "exploring ride" today between snowstorms:
Old 02-04-14, 09:36 PM
Limpytheduck

Bikes: Cervelo S2 & State Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rode to the office today, 28 miles round trip. great workout!
Old 02-04-14, 10:37 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
We got freezing rain all day, so all the trees looked like shiny glass. In the evening, I went to a meeting in North Little Rock, across the Arkansas river. I took the bus between my apartment and the downtown Little Rock transit center. Then I had a little extra time so I opted to walk across the river to the meeting. Oops. The streets were fine but the sidewalk along the bridge was covered with broken bits of ice, so I had to watch where I stepped and walk carefully.

After the meeting, I walked out and couldn't find any bus stop signs even though the street I was on should have been directly on the bus route. So I opted to walk back over one of the the train bridges that was converted to a pedestrian bridge. That turned out to be downright slick with ice all the way across the river. One section of the bridge is raised and there is an elevator at each end of the raised portion. But they were out of commission so I had to go up and down the icy steps. Happily, my arms were just long enough to hold on to the railings on both sides of the steps. But I made it back to the transit center in time for the last bus home.

It wasn't a walk, it was an adventure.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 02-04-14 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-05-14, 04:32 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
On the weekend, we did a relatively lengthy ride ... for fun! And to work on fitness and endurance.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...eports-Feb-1-2

This week, I have not been walking home after work ... Rowan is able to pick me up again. But, as usual, I've been walking at lunch.

Today, I did a very enjoyable 2 km walk up to the local Office Works to buy school supplies!! It has been quite cool for a couple days, but today was a little bit warmer and sunny, so it was a lovely walk.

Last edited by Machka; 02-05-14 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-05-14, 11:56 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Trudged 1.2 km through fresh snow (about 1/3 of it already cleared) to the subway station, then 800 m from the streetcar to the office, so 2 km so far today, in slightly suboptimal conditions. I like walking in snow and appreciate the modest extra exercise.
Old 02-06-14, 03:07 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Brrr, ride to the store.
Uh, oh! Forgot my pannier.
It's still on the porch.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-06-14, 03:37 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Quick walk at lunch today to get photos taken ... passport-like photos.
Old 02-08-14, 03:41 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

It's a long weekend here in Hobart! The Hobart Regatta Weekend.

Friday - just out of curiosity, I walked from work to the local aquatic centre and back ... to see how long it would take me should I decide to do a lunchtime spinning class. Then I walked along the waterfront. All up ... 3.6 km.

Saturday - 50 km on a bright, sunny, and warm (+33C) day in the country. We're visiting a very quiet area ... empty country roads. It's beautiful!

You don't need cycling infrastructure when the whole empty road works just fine!! I could move here in a heartbeat if my employer would agree that I could do my job from home.

Last edited by Machka; 02-08-14 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-08-14, 07:20 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It snowed a couple of inches last night. Today I walked up the hill to the library, discovered it was closed, so I walked a mile and a half to Kroger's and got some groceries and then walked home. I brought my winter walking stick to get across any ice slicks I might find, but for once we had gotten real snow so there were no problems. About 3.5 miles of walking.

Old 02-12-14, 06:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

More walks at lunch, and today's walk took me to a map place where I purchased three 1:25,000 topographical maps of the area where we currently live, and the areas we're considering moving to.

I'm hoping to use these maps to explore the areas by bicycle.
Old 02-12-14, 07:38 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by Machka
More walks at lunch, and today's walk took me to a map place where I purchased three 1:25,000 topographical maps of the area where we currently live, and the areas we're considering moving to.

I'm hoping to use these maps to explore the areas by bicycle.
You paid money to buy a paper map? I haven't done that for years!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-12-14, 10:59 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Roody
Do you use a cellphone or tablet etc. for geographical support for an exploratory ride? I still like paper maps.
Old 02-12-14, 11:03 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Same combined 2 km walking to and from public transit as part of my morning commute. Downtown sidewalks are mostly bare now, but the streets, and also the sidewalks near home, still have lots snow and ice, and it's been -8C to -15C every day for a couple of weeks so they aren't clearing up.

Going home I may only walk about 1 km.

Last edited by cooker; 02-12-14 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-12-14, 11:07 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Have you traveled anywhere lately on your own transportation vehicle far (or off the beaten track) from your normal routine?
Old 02-12-14, 11:51 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Have you traveled anywhere lately on your own transportation vehicle far (or off the beaten track) from your normal routine?
No I haven't. I probably wouldn't need a map anywhere within 50 miles of my house.

Also, I pretty much have a photographic memory for maps, so I can look at it once in the morning and not have to check it again all day. Even if a bridge is unexpectedly closed, I can "look" at the map in my memory and plot a new course.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-12-14, 11:57 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by cooker
Do you use a cellphone or tablet etc. for geographical support for an exploratory ride? I still like paper maps.
No, like I said to ILTB, I usually memorize the map before I leave home. That would be on a tablet or computer rather than a paper map. For a truly exploratory ride, I don't even consult a map beforehand. I just poke around on my own to see what I discover randomly.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-12-14, 12:51 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

I have no trouble with the "big picture" and navigating to any destination by bike or car, based the map in my head. However, sometimes I set out on a long rec ride across the city specifically intending to link a series of ravine trails and power corridor paths and so on, that have limited access points to city streets, and I have to periodically check the city bike map to make sure I haven't missed a connection. See eg. https://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20T...gMap_tile7.png
Old 02-12-14, 02:02 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by cooker
I have no trouble with the "big picture" and navigating to any destination by bike or car, based the map in my head. However, sometimes I set out on a long rec ride across the city specifically intending to link a series of ravine trails and power corridor paths and so on, that have limited access points to city streets, and I have to periodically check the city bike map to make sure I haven't missed a connection. See eg. https://www1.toronto.ca/City%20Of%20T...gMap_tile7.png
Those trails do look inviting, and also more than a little confusing. I can see why you consult the map from time to time! Remember, I live in a minor provincial capital, while you are in one of the great megacities of the world.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-12-14, 03:30 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

1. I like paper maps, and have a large collection of them.

2. The area where we live is not a flat grid of roads. It's very hilly and the roads meander, twist, and turn up and down those hills. Sometimes they end abruptly. Sometimes they turn to gravel or narrow tracks.

3. Google Maps is inadequate. Many roads exist that it does not show. Many roads have changed, and it does not show the changes. It doesn't tell you if a road suddenly turns to a narrow dirt track, and it isn't really good at showing elevation changes. But my new maps show all of that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.