Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Do you carry anything on your bike when you ride?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 12:34 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

Obviously I do not mean if you are commuting or traveling I am just asking what your basic, if anything, you carry always on your bike? For me I have a mini pump, metric allen wrench set, tire gauge, patch kit, Gerber multi tool, and of course a water bottle and phone, & wallet.
Anyone else have a "don't leave home without it" list?
Be safe, Frank.
Old 10-30-18, 12:56 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Everything but the kitchen sink. I like longer rides and my wife is not much of a navigator. So in the event that I break down I might have to hoof it for a long way if I can't fix it on the spot.

I carry:
  • A spare tube
  • A foot pump (fills faster than a hand pump)
  • Nitryl gloves
  • A rag
  • A patch kit (in case of a second flat
  • A few wrenches
  • Tire irons
  • Cable lock
  • Magnifying Glasses (help to spot that tiny sliver in the tire)
  • Tire gauge
  • Tire bead jack
  • Multitool
  • Knife
  • Pen
  • Small bottle of baby powder (for tubes)

Last edited by Rootman; 11-01-18 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-30-18, 12:59 PM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
While I may keep track of pounds added to what I carry, I'm not an ounce / gram counter. So with that in mind, I carry a bike specific multi tool (Crank brothers), CO2 along with the inflator valve for it, a spare tube, a couple of band aides, very small needle nose pliers, tire lever tool, master link and a mini pump mounted to the down tube which has a tire gauge incorporated in the hose... accurate to within 5 lbs and plenty close enough to get me home. Like you a water bottle (2 during the hot months), phone mounted on the handlebar and my wallet... also a pocket knife. Once in awhile I ride an old beater bike that doesn't have quick release wheels so I'll carry a small adjustable wrench with that one in case I need to get one of the wheels off.
Old 10-30-18, 01:36 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Always (commuting included):
  • U-lock
  • mini pump
  • multi-tool
  • a folding knife
On longer rides (in addition to the previously mentioned):
  • spare tube
  • tube patch kit, including tire mounting levers
  • water bottle
  • a few paper tissues
  • a few zip ties
The only of all those thing that goes on my bike is the water bottle, everything else goes into my backpack.
Of course, phone and wallet too, but I always have those on me when leaving home.
Old 10-30-18, 01:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Old 10-30-18, 02:41 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
bottle
flip phone
tube
patch kit
CO2 inflator
tire lever
wallet
Abus key lock chain sometimes

When I deliver, God knows what’s in the messenger bag!
Old 10-30-18, 05:32 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Card (credit), cash (usually a $20 bill), and house key. Mini-pump with spare tube strapped to it. That's it.

I maintain my bike so that chain/cassette etc. is always in new/near new condition. Bearings (b/b, hubs, headset) are checked twice-yearly. I check bolt torques (bars; seat post; that sort of thing) every month or so. Ditto tires. I use at present Specialized Roubaix Pro 32s, w/black belt puncture protection. I do not let the tread depth diminish below the 'wear dots'.

Never had an issue. Don't understand the need to carry everything but the kitchen sink on rides that take less than one day -- up to and including 'century' rides. If I were doing a multi-day tour, different story.
Old 10-30-18, 06:21 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I have started carrying a trunk bag on most rides (except for on my MTB, where I don't carry near as much). In my trunk bag, I have tire changing tools (tire levers and a tire jack), a tire boot and a couple of tube patch kits, a mini pump, a multi-tool, a few grease rags, a KMC Missing Link for a 7/8 speed chain and one for a 9 speed chain, and a compact chain tool. That stuff will let me fix nearly any flat, regardless of how tight a tire might be on a wheel, and will get a broken chain going again. I also have light medical stuff (bandages, and healing cream) and my daughter's inhaler when we go together. I may also add a brake and shift cable to the bag and a small pair of needle nose pliers with snippers. This stuff weighs hardly anything, and I'm already carrying the trunk bag anyway. And then my phone and wallet and keys go into the trunk also.

I don't carry this stuff as much for me, but to be able to help others while out riding.
Old 10-31-18, 09:18 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
As little as possible - keys, garage remote, phone. That's it. I should carry some ID and a medical card in case I get snuffed out by a car.
Old 10-31-18, 10:32 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
As little as possible - keys, garage remote, phone. That's it. I should carry some ID and a medical card in case I get snuffed out by a car.
Heh. Never worried much about ID, but now I have to (well, 'should' but I'd be stupid not to!) wear a MedicAlert ID at all times, so that base is covered in a fashion.
Old 11-02-18, 11:19 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Obviously I do not mean if you are commuting or traveling I am just asking what your basic, if anything, you carry always on your bike? For me I have a mini pump, metric allen wrench set, tire gauge, patch kit, Gerber multi tool, and of course a water bottle and phone, & wallet.
Be safe, Frank.
First, what I don't carry:

I carried a mini tool set with a total of nine bits including hex wrenches and phillips and flat screwdriver. But then I came to the realization that it had gone unused over the course of several years. So I leave it home now. I mean really, on a typical 15-60 mile ride what am I going to need it for? My derailleurs are dialed in. Indexing is by twist adjustment. All of the bolts on the bike are checked frequently enough. Why carry this thing around?

Now for what I do carry:
  • Topeak Road Morph Mini in its frame clip, zip-tied to the bottom of the downtube.
  • Two bottle cages with one or two bottles depending on distance and temperature.
  • Topeak medium wedge bag under the seat.
    • A tube
    • Tire levers (2)
    • Small adhesive patch kit.
    • A velcro strap cinched down around the spare tube.
    • Sometimes a couple of CO2 cartridges and a CO2 dispensing bit.
    • Three pouches of gummy fruit snacks.
    • A cliff bar.
    • $20 bill.
  • On the handlebars:
    • Small cycling computer.
    • Headlight sometimes (L&M Taz 1200)
  • On the seat post:
    • Tail light (Cyglolite HotShot Pro 150)
  • On the back
    • Tubus Fly Evo rack
      • Occasionally one or two Ortlieb panniers for commuting or trips to the store.
  • Jersey pocket:
    • Ziploc
      • Cell phone
      • ID
      • Credit card
      • Sometimes a banana or other snack.
That's about it. The rack is so lightweight, and with no top-plate it presents no appreciable aerodynamic drag, so I never remove it. But I only affix panniers when I know I'll be needing them. The decision whether or not to bring CO2 is something I go back and forth on. I have the pump, and it has never failed me. CO2 is just trading weight for speed. On a flat ride I don't care. On the hills there's a .00000001% placebo advantage leaving the CO2 home. The additional snacks come along if my ride is going to exceed 2 hours. Less than that I don't really need to be eating on the bike.
Old 11-03-18, 02:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Whatever I can fit into a Serfas medium expandable Speed Bag. Which is a heckuva lot, for a smallish looking bag.

The hybrid is my casual riding and errand bike, so I'll carry as much as I need that day. It doesn't have the fenders and racks on it at the moment since I'm swapping cables, housing and upgrading other stuff. But pretty soon it'll be back into full all-purpose mode so it'll be ready to haul whatever I need.

My road bike is my minimal bike -- just a flat repair kit and multi-tool.
Old 11-03-18, 02:52 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
bottle
flip phone
1990s much?
tube
tire repair/patch kit
CO2 inflator

tire lever
wallet
Abus key lock chain sometimes
Levers come with the tire repair kit.

When I deliver, God knows what’s in the messenger bag!

I would add I.D., multi-tool, phone, cash card or $5. I rarely carry cash though. I just recently realized bills had been updated with color. Cool!

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-03-18 at 02:58 AM.
Old 11-03-18, 07:51 AM
3speedslow

^^The poster asked, I listed what I carry. It’s too bad you felt the need to snark on my input. This is a friendly Forum, I hope it stays this way.
Old 11-03-18, 03:26 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
^^The poster asked, I listed what I carry. It’s too bad you felt the need to snark on my input. This is a friendly Forum, I hope it stays this way.
As do I. The quote was actually an expression of similar taste (the bolded parts), and the phone reference reminded me of my primitive phone which my friends make fun of. The emoji was added to show the comment was in jest. It wasn't intended to offend, just the opposite.

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-03-18 at 10:04 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-03-18, 07:00 PM
442dude

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Trek 800. Liv Sedona DX (hers)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
For fear of kind of repeating what everyone else said...here's my list

phone
wallet
pump
2 tubes
patch kit
tire irons
multi tool
metric allen wrenches
snack of some sort and water
and a pack of gum since it tastes better than trail dust
Old 11-03-18, 08:32 PM
3speedslow

Talking

Originally Posted by KraneXL
As do I. The quote was actually an expression of similar taste (the bolded parts), and the phone reference reminded me of my primitive phone which my friends make fun of. The emoji was added to show the comment was in jest. It was intended to offend, just the opposite.
All’s good with me then! I understand things better when people explain things to me...
Old 11-03-18, 09:15 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
On the trail bike, lights. All else goes in camelbak
On the city/commuter, lights, rack, pannier, pump, camera. Sometimes said camelbak also.
Old 11-04-18, 06:05 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Another flip phone user. I had a really small one for several years that fit nicely in my under seat bag, but this year I was issued a new one from work and it is much larger and heavier. On the plus side, it is robust and waterproof.
I also carry a spare tube, tire levers, wallet, energy bar, and a multi-tool. I usually have a frame mounted pump. For water I use a 24 oz. insulated bottle. When the weather is cooler, I'll take arm warmers and a head band.
Old 11-06-18, 07:35 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Some of the above and...

1. latex gloves to keep the grease off of me during a roadside repair.
2. Individually packaged alcohol Wet-Wipes.

I can't stand having my hands all greasy and dirty after a repair and still have another 10 - 40 miles to ride before I can properly clean up.
Old 11-09-18, 01:53 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I always carry basic repair stuff in an under seat bag, and frame-mounted pump. When I'm not commuting, I carry wallet, phone, and small first aid kit, usually in a trunk bag. When I am commuting, it all goes into my saddlebags.
Old 11-12-18, 02:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Front Panniers , Rain cape and hat in one , tools at the bottom ,

other one has my man purse contents . mini pump and spare tube in the bottom.
Old 11-14-18, 10:09 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
The usual repair kit

Water and lots of it. Depending on what kind of ride it is. Just an hour or so after work, 1 bottle in the cage (I only have 1 cage) and 2 bottles in the trunk bag mounted on my rear rack. I've switched a little now as I have small front panniers and I'll use a single front pannier mounted on the back since the trunk bag makes quite a racket.

Usually add to the after work ride, dinner. I am 8 miles from the lake and if I leave work after 8 hours at 3, I like to ride out to the lake to eat. At rush hour time, not so much as it's western PA, lot of hills, and lot of traffic.

On a weekend ride where we will be out for 12 hours or so, I carry at least a gallon and a half of water plus usually 2 bottles of Gatorade. I'll refill two more times also through the course of a 60 - 70 mile ride and probably stop at least twice for more Gatorade. I sweat a ton (whether it's 90 and humid or 40 and dry.)
Old 11-14-18, 10:22 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Be safe, Frank.
Anyone who sets out more than walking distance from home without the ability to fix a puncture or pinch flat is eventually going to have to call for a pick-up or walk a lot farther, in less comfortable shoes, than is desirable. A bike tool is less important if the bike is well maintained and dialed in. But even so, it's possible that a bike tool can save the day.

My kit is: mini-pump, adhesive patch kit, tube, tire levers, small mini-tool, some cash, a photocopy of ID, and a velcro strap. Those things never leave my bike except to be used. I fix flats one or two times a month, on average, and it's always goatheads.

If you're riding around the neighborhood and could just walk home, travel light. But there's nothing worse than being 7 to 50 miles out without the means of rescuing yourself from an event that is almost assured to happen from time to time.
Old 11-16-18, 08:35 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
I'm not recommending that anyone leave their pump and patch kits behind, but AAA has a bicycle breakdown service for members.

https://ohio.aaa.com/membership/lp/b...n-service.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.