Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti GP5000 after 400 miles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Conti GP5000 after 400 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 06:00 PM
bluezurich
Team Concussed/AARP

Bikes: Pinarello Stelvio, Ritchey Logic, Trek Roscoe 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Over time I have learned to stop trying to get it done fast. The longer I take, the more at ease I am and the calmer I am restarting the ride. Probably do a better job that way as well, don't you think?
Old 05-12-19, 06:11 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Different tires and rims affect how long it takes. Tires that are hard to mount take longer. A strike against GP5000s?

Also, it depends on how easy it is to diagnose the cause of the flat. If I'm pretty sure it was a puncture, but I can't find the offending penetrating object, I'll take some time to hunt in order to guarantee that I don't get a second flat a few miles down the road.

But as I'm not racing, and also many of my group rides (including the fastest ones) are no-drop affairs where the group will wait until the flat tire is fixed, a modest increase in the time by the side of the road is no big deal
Old 05-12-19, 10:22 PM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Slightly off topic, but what I find so interesting is that some people LOVE the GP4000s tires (including me!!) and have had generally good results, while other have frequent problems with flats and sidewall issues.

I suppose it depends on road conditions, but I also wonder if sometimes there are "good" batches and "bad" batches of these tires? Or maybe two different factories, one that does a better job than the other.

Thoughts?
u might have a point have got a few off of amazon and they were really pronevto flats and sidewall puncures maybe just bad like or a bad batch but for the most part am satisfied with gp11 can get almost 3 thousand miles out of a tire and am a very heavy rider at 230 pounds. Also as others have said the all seasons are really good for flat protection and great handling in the rain .a little bit slower. But if you flat with another tire u will lose 10 to fifteen min on side of road changing tube out so time lost more than makes up for a little speed lost riding the all season for peace of mind of hardly ever getting a flat
Old 05-12-19, 11:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Jeebus. I don't even carry enough spares/patches to address 5 flats, but if I did, I still would have called it quits by #3 , maybe #4 , and made the call of shame.
I passed a fellow roadie in the middle of nowhere last summer, and checked the flyby thing. Comment on his ride said he didn't realize ~30 miles of the loop he was doing were gravel, and he got some crazy number of flats. No phone reception out there, so instead of a call of shame it's a long walk or hitchhiking.

I never carried enough to deal with 6 flats. I'm with you, I'll say F it after 3.

And I try to have some idea what I'm getting myself into.
Old 05-12-19, 11:55 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Different tires and rims affect how long it takes. Tires that are hard to mount take longer. A strike against GP5000s?

Also, it depends on how easy it is to diagnose the cause of the flat. If I'm pretty sure it was a puncture, but I can't find the offending penetrating object, I'll take some time to hunt in order to guarantee that I don't get a second flat a few miles down the road.

But as I'm not racing, and also many of my group rides (including the fastest ones) are no-drop affairs where the group will wait until the flat tire is fixed, a modest increase in the time by the side of the road is no big deal
And on the pump. 1/2 the time is spent pumping. CO2 or a good pump makes the exercise a lot easier.
Old 05-12-19, 11:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
My approach to tires is one that I haven't seen in this thread.. To my mind, tires have a job that outranks everything else. Keeping me upright. Two years ago I found the best clincher yet for that job. I like also that they are not especially heavy and roll very nicely. Yes, they are not cheap. But at my age and with this body's lifetime crash quota having been met, I look at the $70/tire I pay as cheap insurance.

Vittoria Corsa G+ (so far all in 28c). Yes I do get more flats with these tires, mostly from those near invisible tire wires. They don't attract them too much in their early miles but they last a good long ways and their magnetism increases as they wear.

What those tires do so well is climb out of pavement ruts and crack and back onto the pavement if you had to leave it. I think this is a combination of the graphene technology and going back to the old ribbed tread we trained on 40 years ago. Over the past two years, since I started riding the G+ tires, I have been really enjoying how much less attention I have to pay to the pavement. Glass and debris, yes. But cracks, water, slide starters and the like don't phase these tires. Today I got to see them pull me through a completely unplanned maneuver. I was riding a 2 lane rural road when an oncoming sporty Camaro decided to hit the throttle and pass. Oh ****! Well there was 12' of wider shoulder right there for the entrance to a dirt farm path. Pulled over and immediately that Camaro passed where I just was. Then just as fast, that godsend of pavement was ending and returning to the ditch I'd been paralleling. Pile of gravel on the last foot of pavement. Well I had no other choice so I planted the front wheel in the gravel and turned left hard. And no big deal! The bike just cut over and I was riding like nothing happened.

I hope I never start thinking I can plan on that kind of performance from these tires but I love that when I've asked, its always been there. (And I've been let down - quite literally - by a few tires that simply didn't do their job.)

I will agree with others on this thread. There is no free ride. Every tire I've ridden with that extra "emergency grip" has been faster wearing and/or more prone to both glass and cuts and/or been slow to very slow. But this G+ (now G 2.0 which I haven't ridden yet) raises the bar. They are fast. Decently long wearing. OK at the flat end. (One poster above talks of one flat offsetting the time savings of a few thousand miles of lower rolling resistance. For me, one crash that doesn't happen offsets an awful lot of flats. Maybe not in terms of time spent on the side of the road, but quite probably the next year in bed with pads around my injuries. (Remember, I've filled my quota. Now when I land, I land on an old injury. Re-injured old injuries don't heal for beans.)

Ben
Old 05-13-19, 10:15 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I feel its time to have a bit of a poll here.

How long does it take you to change a flat tube??
1:45 of watching someone else do it before I pull a Nick Burns:

I do so many in the shop daily that I just don't think about it. There's a ton of variables but let's just say that in each scenario I seem to be faster than most. I don't race it though so...

Old 05-13-19, 10:20 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

I do so many in the shop daily that I just don't think about it. There's a ton of variables but let's just say that in each scenario I seem to be faster than most. I don't race it though so...

I'm no champ...but if I'm working fast on the side of the road with a full group ride waiting on me...I can do it in around 5 minutes I think.

At home, with a beer, being paranoid about finding whatever caused the flat, spending extra time making sure a tube didnt get pinched, massaging the bead to make sure it's even all around the tire, pumping up 3+ times, letting air out, massaging again etc,...probably 10-15 minutes.

The point I was after above is that a flat really shouldn't ruin an afternoon....if it does, you probably need some practice.
Old 05-13-19, 10:23 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I'm no champ...but if I'm working fast on the side of the road with a full group ride waiting on me...I can do it in around 5 minutes I think.

At home, with a beer, being paranoid about finding whatever caused the flat, spending extra time making sure a tube didnt get pinched, massaging the bead to make sure it's even all around the tire, pumping up 3+ times, letting air out, massaging again etc,...probably 10-15 minutes.

The point I was after above is that a flat really shouldn't ruin an afternoon....if it does, you probably need some practice.
Absolutely.

Old 05-13-19, 11:09 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Depends

I feel its time to have a bit of a poll here.

How long does it take you to change a flat tube??
Quicker on a warm day, but about 5 minutes. Not including the 9 billion times I have to push the mini-pump. No, I don't carry a CO2 pump. Hate them.

I'm hoping I don't flat the new tires. They really went on tight.
Old 05-13-19, 11:14 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Changed so many goathead flats last summer and fall, that the first joint in my right thumb developed arthritis from re-installing too many ultra-tight tires by hand.
Old 05-13-19, 11:26 AM
stephanlinn

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 2012 Litespeed C3, 2018 Canyon Endurace, 2015 Giant Talon converted to gravel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For context, I ride 100 miles/week in an urban environment. My new bike(6 months old) came with 4000's and I had a flat every month. Otherwise they were a dream to ride compared with gators on my old bike.
I thought of going tubeless with 5000's but they were muy expensive, so I got some Schwalbe pro-one and mounted them tubeless. They also have a very nice feel, let you know how durable.
Old 05-13-19, 11:54 AM
zigmeister

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Interesting thread....8yrs I've been using GP4000S tires. For training/racing. Only have had 2 flats. Tens and thousands of miles. I've thought of switching and trying something new lately. Last time I did that, I moved to Schawble tires, think the thread is around here still...Never Again Schawble is the title..and I got flamed beyond belief to have the nerve to blame their crappy tires, 2 of them, that lasted 1 week.

Switched to GP4000S, never looked back.
Old 05-13-19, 12:06 PM
francov

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ran the GP4Ks for a 1/2 a season and had two flats, replaced them with Conti 4 Seasons last fall and and have had no troubles, roughly 1000 miles on them, though I'm regretting saying that, damn Murphy's law...
Old 05-13-19, 12:19 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Quicker on a warm day, but about 5 minutes. Not including the 9 billion times I have to push the mini-pump. No, I don't carry a CO2 pump. Hate them.

I'm hoping I don't flat the new tires. They really went on tight.
Some mini-pumps are better than others. I like this one - it has a foot-stand and a rotating handle so you can get better leverage than just holding the two ends in either hand.
Old 05-13-19, 12:21 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by zigmeister

Switched to GP4000S, never looked back.
They are cheap now that the 5000s have arrived and the old ones are remaindered . Buy up a bunch and you won't have to migrate for a long time.
Old 05-13-19, 03:19 PM
llegger

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
When I bought a second set of wheels for my ride I decided to outfit them with the new GP 5000 tires. After 400 miles I'm replacing them. In short, the ride, handling, and rolling are absolutely top notch. But they're just too delicate for me. I ride roads only, and mostly good. Every so often I ride through an intersection with some small scattered debris (small stones, pebbles, etc.). I've never flatted going through them, until this year. After my second bad puncture, well, it's got to be the tires. Neither puncture was fixable, either, even using a boot, so I ended up calling for a ride.

In short, I'll choose a more durable tire, even if I give up a little speed. Looking at the Michelin Power Endurance as replacements.
Yep. I stopped buying Conti 4000 tires after multiple side wall tears that my friend also got. I never had this problem with other brands.
Old 05-13-19, 04:48 PM
dmanthree

Hate That

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Changed so many goathead flats last summer and fall, that the first joint in my right thumb developed arthritis from re-installing too many ultra-tight tires by hand.
Understood. But, I always like impressing my friends when I can roll the tire on without using tools. It remains to be seen if my latest rubber will allow that. They went on really tight and I needed a tire spoon. Shoot.
Old 05-13-19, 04:56 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Try soapy water or oil or something liquid before using tools. I finally had to resort to that with may last two sets of Panaracer tubeless compatible tires. I got one of the Kool Stop tire bead jacks too, those Panaracer tires are really something else to get on.
Old 05-13-19, 06:20 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
GP4000s II - Suuuuure. Everyone loves that tire. I have sold piles of them over the years. I completely agree with the sentiments above being that it is a Jack of many trades but master of none. It's a race worthy tire that can help against flats but rides like a concrete prophylactic.
Okayyyy, whatever. I think you mean Vittoria tires, maybe? I ride 4k-5k miles a year. Was 263 when I started 2 years ago, down to 238 by now. On my 3rd set of GP4000s II and couldn't be happier. Not one flat and they are smooth riding and handle beautifully.

When GP came out with the 5000 I thought to myself, "Why 'fix' what doesnt need fixing?" But a good thing happened right after the 5000 tires came out! The price on 4000s II dropped to below $35/tire! So now I'm set for a while to come...

Gary

Last edited by BrazAd; 05-13-19 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-14-19, 07:12 AM
dmanthree

You're Soaking In It

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Try soapy water or oil or something liquid before using tools. I finally had to resort to that with may last two sets of Panaracer tubeless compatible tires. I got one of the Kool Stop tire bead jacks too, those Panaracer tires are really something else to get on.
I did have to resort to some dishwashing soap, and even after that I still needed a spoon for the last section of the bead. Just couldn't roll that last section over, dammit.
Old 05-14-19, 06:57 PM
BarryCW

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot PSV10. 1996 KHS Aero Turbo. 1985 Healing Triathlete. 1985 Bosomworth. 1980's Nishiki Cresta Repco. 1980's Nishiki Tri-A. 1985 Miyata 912. 1976 Holdsworth 531 Special. 1985 Kuwahara Siera G.Trek 1979 Frame 730. 1990's Bauer Momentum 4000.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Tyre repair, old school NZ

Terry my mate gave me an old steel bike with his conti repair. Had to share
Likes For BarryCW:
Old 05-15-19, 01:49 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Which would you guess are the ones that check both the "Fast" and "durable" boxes, but handle poorly?
Steel belted steel. No rubber. Trains have low rolling resistance so are fast. In a straight line. I'm guessing the rock hard solid core rental bike tires may be similar.
Old 05-15-19, 02:02 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
Steel belted steel. No rubber. Trains have low rolling resistance so are fast. In a straight line. I'm guessing the rock hard solid core rental bike tires may be similar.

Well train 'tires' have optimal grip for cornering as well haha.

They would still suck on pavement though, and be comically slow, even in a straight line.
Old 05-15-19, 04:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts

Stopping for someone else's flat on the group ride, sometimes it's all I can do not to start shoving people aside and hollering commands. Pump! Tube! Fill it! Some air in the new one! Use your thumbs! Does someone have a pump that works?

But I don't. Not socially acceptable. Unsolicited advice is the worst possible thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.