Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Sprite

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh Sprite

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 01:08 PM
Rigmarole7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help With Raleigh Sprite

Hello! I am completely new to the biking world and would like some advice on purchasing my first "real" bike. The bike I am considering is a Men's Raleigh Sprite for $175. As you all already know since this is my first post, I can't post pictures but I'll put where the listing can be found below. Does it look like it's worth it? What things should I ask or look out for? I am probably going to use it just a normal riding bike to use around my parks trails or to go to the store and such. Thanks for hearing out another total newbie, I can imagine these questions get redundant after a bit lol.

Craigslist: Dallas

Title: nice antique bikes

Last edited by Rigmarole7; 05-16-19 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 01:33 PM
lorenzo_de_leon

Bikes: '76 B-Stone Kabuki (SS) / '90 B-Stone MB-6 (1x5) / '94 B-Stone MB-6 (with bobike seat for the boy) / '96 Kona Hahanna / Salsa Journeyman (Claris 650b...for gravel or something...)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

I just refurbished an old Sprite. It is an older model - 1967 or 68 I believe. It's a fun bike and able to haul quite a bit with a basket on the rear rack.
That being said it is very heavy and has some fairly mediocre components. The brakes are pretty terrible and the obsolete cottered crank is not easily serviced.
For the price I would probably opt for a 1980s or 90s mtb, i.e. Specialized, Bridgestone, Trek, GT, etc. Something along these lines:

Dallas CL Specialized

They're easy to work with, fun to ride and can haul a lot of stuff (check for rack mounts above the dropouts).

Good luck!

Last edited by lorenzo_de_leon; 05-16-19 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 01:56 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Sprites are nice, but $175 seems a bit high. Maybe Dallas is more expensive, but I would offer less.
Old 05-16-19, 03:55 PM
Rigmarole7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lorenzo_de_leon

I just refurbished an old Sprite. It is an older model - 1967 or 68 I believe. It's a fun bike and able to haul quite a bit with a basket on the rear rack.
That being said it is very heavy and has some fairly mediocre components. The brakes are pretty terrible and the obsolete cottered crank is not easily serviced.
For the price I would probably opt for a 1980s or 90s mtb, i.e. Specialized, Bridgestone, Trek, GT, etc. Something along these lines:

They're easy to work with, fun to ride and can haul a lot of stuff (check for rack mounts above the dropouts).

Good luck!
That looks quite nice! I really like the color.

Yes, while researching it online I read it was pretty heavy. What really attracted me to this bike was the aesthetic of it, but practically it makes more sense to get a newer bike since I plan to use it frequently. Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-16-19, 03:56 PM
Rigmarole7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
Sprites are nice, but $175 seems a bit high. Maybe Dallas is more expensive, but I would offer less.
Yes, it is pretty high. I am offering 150 so hopefully, they will accept that instead.
Old 05-16-19, 03:58 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Trek 4300 for 125 and and a Centurion D.S. Ironman for $150. I'd grab the Sprite for $10 or $20, but that is about it.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 05-16-19 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 03:59 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

The Centurion... Dallas CL also... 8
Old 05-16-19, 04:10 PM
cycleheimer

Above is a photo of the bike in question. A variation of the Raleigh Record. The verdict .. nyet. Not a fun bike to ride compared to better quality options.
Old 05-16-19, 04:21 PM
Rigmarole7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Above is a photo of the bike in question. A variation of the Raleigh Record. The verdict .. nyet. Not a fun bike to ride compared to better quality options.
Thanks for posting the photo!

Okay, I see. I'll probably check those out and others and then compare. Thanks for posting the other bikes, I was kind of at a lost where to look for different options.
Old 05-16-19, 05:25 PM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
I have a ‘69 sprite that I hold dear. Not a performance machine but that’s not the point here. It’s about utility , ride quality, and style. If you like the bike buy it. For that price it should be in exceptional original condition.
Old 05-16-19, 06:41 PM
lorenzo_de_leon

Bikes: '76 B-Stone Kabuki (SS) / '90 B-Stone MB-6 (1x5) / '94 B-Stone MB-6 (with bobike seat for the boy) / '96 Kona Hahanna / Salsa Journeyman (Claris 650b...for gravel or something...)

Originally Posted by Slowride79
I have a ‘69 sprite that I hold dear.
That is pristine! Very nice.
Old 05-16-19, 06:53 PM
Senior Ryder 00 
Old bikes, Older guy

Bikes: A few modern, Several vintage, All ridden when weather allows.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 115 Posts
Craig’s List sellers typically go high and expect some bargaining. Personally, I’d offer $100 if the tires were new ,everything worked and it was extremely clean.

Regards,

SR 00
Old 05-16-19, 08:29 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts

Dallas CL Specialized

Good luck!
That has to be 1969 or newer. 67/68 the only option was the SA S-5 internal 5 speed. Starting in 69 you had the choice of S-5 or Huret derailleur 5 speed.
Old 05-16-19, 08:44 PM
lorenzo_de_leon

Originally Posted by dedhed
That has to be 1969 or newer. 67/68 the only option was the SA S-5 internal 5 speed. Starting in 69 you had the choice of S-5 or Huret derailleur 5 speed.
I had trouble with the dating of this one. The decals, logos, chainguard and those awful brake calipers with the hooks (no pull-thru cable bolt) led me to believe it was an earlier model, but I'll take your word for it.
Old 05-16-19, 09:55 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
I had trouble with the dating of this one. The decals, logos, chainguard and those awful brake calipers with the hooks (no pull-thru cable bolt) led me to believe it was an earlier model, but I'll take your word for it.
I bought a bunch of those brake cables from Ben's when they had a "garage sale"

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retrora...9/pages/03.htm

https://www.jaysmarine.com/1968raleighcat_us_03_lg.jpg
Old 05-16-19, 10:08 PM
Rigmarole7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Senior Ryder 00
Craig’s List sellers typically go high and expect some bargaining. Personally, I’d offer $100 if the tires were new ,everything worked and it was extremely clean.

Regards,

SR 00
Okay, thanks for the tip!
Old 05-17-19, 11:42 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts

Dallas CL Specialized

Good luck!
Now, that is an interesting bike, a rendition of the Sprite that I've never seen before. From my knowledge, in the US market, a 60's Raleigh Sprite is essentially a Sports with the Sturmey-Archer S5 hub, and dual white plastic shift levers on the top tube. Derailleur Sprite 5 and 10's were essentially Raleigh Records (27" steel rims, Huret Allvit, the 10-speed had the same crank guard as the Record, going by faulty memory, the 5-speeds chain guard was somewhat Sports-ish) with fenders and flat bars, replacing the earlier version in 1970, definitely by 1971 when I started working at the Schwinn/Raleigh dealership. Regarding the dating, it could be a regional thing. Over the last twenty years I've noticed that other Raleigh dealers were carrying slightly different inventory than we were in Erie, PA.

Here's my 1969, according to the stamping on the hub and I'm almost certain that the bike is original. The right shift lever snapped and was reglued, so I've just added a regular 3-speed handlebar switch until I can find a replacement. The carrier and bag are Schwinn accessories.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 05-17-19 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Another damned spelling correction. And other mistakes.
Old 05-17-19, 01:11 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Rigmarole7
Okay, thanks for the tip!
Also remember to buy a bike that fits! There are articles online about how to find your fit.
Old 05-17-19, 01:22 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Also remember to buy a bike that fits! There are articles online about how to find your fit.
+1 on fit, and give some thought to where and how you might use the bike, pavement, hills, gravel, errands, commuting, bar hoping??. As someone said above Old mountain bikes (rigid forks not suspension) are plentiful, cheap (in Seattle there are scads in the $100-120 range and you can find better deals if you look), versatile and pretty basic to work on. Many of the old steel MTBs can take racks, fenders, wide tires and make excellent commuters, grocery getters, touring bikes etc. albeit without the panache of a bronze green Raleigh 3/5 speed . Good luck with whatever you choose OP lots of resources on the web and here of course.

Last edited by ryansu; 05-17-19 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For ryansu:
Old 05-17-19, 05:46 PM
cycleheimer

The older Sprites (Raleigh Sports variation) are alot different than the "Raleigh Record" Sprites. They were better made. I owned a "Sports" version, and it was pretty decent. The quality, though, isn't there on the one you were looking at. It also has steel rims, with reduced braking power when wet, and cottered cranks that are a nightmare when they loosen up. The seats tear apart (no comparison to a top-notch saddle like the leather Brooks saddles shown above) , the fenders rattle, and the gears and brakes offer lack luster performance. It's not going to deliver an optimal cycling experience. Think alloy wheels and components...Hybrids, mountain bikes, sports touring bikes, touring bikes, etc.

Last edited by cycleheimer; 05-17-19 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 08:05 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
The older Sprites (Raleigh Sports variation) are alot different than the "Raleigh Record" Sprites. They were better made. I owned a "Sports" version, and it was pretty decent. The quality, though, isn't there on the one you were looking at. It also has steel rims, with reduced braking power when wet, and cottered cranks that are a nightmare when they loosen up. The seats tear apart (no comparison to a top-notch saddle like the leather Brooks saddles shown above) , the fenders rattle, and the gears and brakes offer lack luster performance. It's not going to deliver an optimal cycling experience. Think alloy wheels and components...Hybrids, mountain bikes, sports touring bikes, touring bikes, etc.
The B-line bikes were decent bikes for the money. I've owned a few, usually kept them a year at a time, commuted the hell out of them. then sold them to college students. Have to agree with a saddles on the cheaper bikes, though. The original saddle pictured on the Ranger is on the shelf, replaced with a Schwinn Suburban saddle, both for Maggie's comfort and the realization that the original saddle won't last long in daily use. Rarely if ever ran into problems with cottered cranks, still love them. Fender rattles are easy to fix, just insert thin rubber or cardboard into the mounting brackets.

Biggest single weakness of the B-line bikes was frame size availability. It's very rare that I seen anything available other than a 21-1/2" frame in those. 23-1/2" are definitely far and few between, assuming they were available in the first place. I don't think I've ever seen a 191/2" frame in a cheaper line bike, unless you were looking at a model marketed specifically to kids. That's the whole reason Maggie rides the Ranger - it fits here, where I have to have a lot of seat post showing to fit me.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 05-17-19 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 09:19 PM
Rigmarole7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride79
I have a ‘69 sprite that I hold dear. Not a performance machine but that’s not the point here. It’s about utility , ride quality, and style. If you like the bike buy it. For that price it should be in exceptional original condition.
Wow, that is a very nice bike.

Yes, I agree, that is mainly why I want this type of bike. Okay, I'll keep that in mind, thanks!
Old 05-17-19, 09:23 PM
Rigmarole7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Okay, I'll definitely keep that on mind. I'm over 6' so it is not so easy finding something that fits well.
Old 05-17-19, 09:28 PM
Rigmarole7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
+1 on fit, and give some thought to where and how you might use the bike, pavement, hills, gravel, errands, commuting, bar hoping??. As someone said above Old mountain bikes (rigid forks not suspension) are plentiful, cheap (in Seattle there are scads in the $100-120 range and you can find better deals if you look), versatile and pretty basic to work on. Many of the old steel MTBs can take racks, fenders, wide tires and make excellent commuters, grocery getters, touring bikes etc. albeit without the panache of a bronze green Raleigh 3/5 speed . Good luck with whatever you choose OP lots of resources on the web and here of course.
Okay, yes, I am planning to use it mostly for light riding and such but that make sense. A part of me leans towards maybe getting a mountain bike just because it is much more versatile like you said. Versatility has to beat the old Raleigh aesthetic though, so I guess this is the test to see how practical I am lol.
Old 05-17-19, 09:30 PM
Rigmarole7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see, thanks for the advice! I almost got a sports actually before finding this bike, but it was a little too beat up for me to shell out over a hundred.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.