Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trade all your bikes to help a sick puppy

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trade all your bikes to help a sick puppy

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 04:41 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
No anonymous poster has not contributed otherwise. But I did post a link upthread to the thread & post in question.
I didn't think it prudent to blow up either the guy or his inbox with what essentially is a jumping off point for a seperate discussion concerning how we value our bikes. He is free to read & participate in the resulting discussion all he wishes though.

I reject the virtue signaling of the anonymous poster X" & I think @Maelochs was on to something in regards to status, ego, & charity.
Thanks for your reply, though I didn't see, or could find the uplink.

I have been noting and wrote to the Suggestions Forum, that MENTIONS no longer appear on my usual PC, but do on my I-phone, though I did note one when posting my reply.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-13-19 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 04:42 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I consider a $10K bike to be lavish and luxurious. I'm not about to police other people's spending, though, and there are places in life for lavish and luxurious..

If you think it's normal, though, you're very abnormal. There's a whole universe of households with total income of less than $50K/annually, and too many who take in less than $20K, including government benefits. It would be seemly to remember that.
"Normal" is defined by the people you are surrounded by. Gautier, Mississippi operates on a different scale than Manhatten.
5% of $50k is still a $2500 bike. Pretty squarely mid-range & close to the national average annual income. 5% (or $600) of a $12,000 annual income would in no way be valued less by that bikes owner. For that person, a $1200 bike would be the top of the 10% scale. We can gawk all day at the range of incomes for various professions in various areas of the country, but the question is purposely asked in such a way to scale to individual circumstances.

I see $10k bikes all the time. It's pretty common occurrence, ergo in my area "normal."

To draw a parallel: If I was in Silicon Valley it'd be Tesla's & in Monaco it'd be Lamborghini's & Bugatti's. In Nome Alaska or Austin, Texas, "normal" would be diesel F350's & Dodge Rams, both of which can be run up to $60k. Even if not the most common vehicle/variant, they are there & probably seen with some regularity.

Last edited by base2; 06-13-19 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 04:48 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for you reply, though I didn't see, or could find the uplink.
Post #39 of this thread.
No worries.
Old 06-13-19, 04:54 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
I guess the bikers in my area are relative paupers (me included). I had no idea. dave
Old 06-13-19, 05:51 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
To draw a parallel: If I was in Silicon Valley it'd be Tesla's & in Monaco it'd be Lamborghini's & Bugatti's. In Nome Alaska or Austin, Texas, "normal" would be diesel F350's & Dodge Rams, both of which can be run up to $60k. Even if not the most common vehicle/variant, they are there & probably seen with some regularity.
What's the population of Silicon Valley? How many people work there? How many own Teslas?

What's the population of Monaco? How many people work there? How many Lamborghinis and Bugs?
Old 06-13-19, 06:51 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Where can I trade in all my sick puppies for a bicycle?
Old 06-13-19, 06:56 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
I would never spend $10,000 on "A" bike .

Old 06-13-19, 07:05 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
I don't care if someone rides a 10k bike. I've conversed with several owners of 10k bikes, and ridden with a few (they're just people that like to ride). I don't care if people think I spent too much on my bike, and I've seen several here that think I did, some of them on this thread.

My bike, my money, my business. Your bike, your money, your business.
Old 06-13-19, 07:13 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
This is like those old Sunday newspaper puzzles which would be something like "how many birds can you find in this picture". In this case I can at least see evidence of 19 bikes. What is the real answer?

dave
Old 06-13-19, 07:46 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I guess there are two ways to look at it.

From a luxury item/want perspective who's to say how much some one should spend. People buy $50,000 watches when a $100 Timex will do. Some people live frugally and save up for that one grail item while others spend a lot on all aspects of their lives.

From a practical perspective, unless you are a professional racer, a $10,000 bike is fairly ludicrous. It's also weak. There is nothing more pathetic than soneone who says they have fine taste and prefer expensive things - like no sh_t. How uninspired can you be. "I like the best this, and the best that.." is something someone with little practical experience often says because they have no real grounding to base specific preferences on. They want what they've been told they ought to want which in N.A. is excess.

For people who are serious it would be plausible to buy a level or two above their current skill level and appear reasonable but like someone above said; if you have crap skills and a champagne bike be prepared for some well deserved mocking related to the paragraph above.

In another practical vein, the technology for bikes is pretty mature and still not at a point to warrant $10,000 builds unless it's someone's grail bike. The law of diminishing returns dictates that, for the average rider, a bike in the 1-3K range provides all the technological advantage they can utilize. If you think you need to spend > 5K because of your skills... you don't.

The problem with bikes is that they are made to be ridden but can become status symbols wherein owners or lusters argue theoretical advantages of minutiae.
Old 06-13-19, 07:55 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If riding a $10,000 bike pleases you and you can afford it, what's the problem? Just because the OP doesn't have the sensibilities to discern the difference between a cheap bike and an expensive one doesn't mean he's right and all those big spenders are wrong. I wonder how much, in his mind, is an acceptable amount to spend on a bike? $300?

Sounds like another anti-snob superiority thread.
Old 06-13-19, 08:03 PM
flyjimmy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
The key to understanding the original post lies with “if I had..”.
Likes For flyjimmy:
Old 06-13-19, 08:04 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
If riding a $10,000 bike pleases you and you can afford it, what's the problem?
Absolutely!!
Old 06-13-19, 08:08 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
I would never spend $10,000 on "A" bike .

We're with you on that! Although we don't have the lovely room you've got them in!
Old 06-13-19, 08:08 PM
flyjimmy

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
If riding a $10,000 bike pleases you and you can afford it, what's the problem? Just because the OP doesn't have the sensibilities to discern the difference between a cheap bike and an expensive one doesn't mean he's right and all those big spenders are wrong. I wonder how much, in his mind, is an acceptable amount to spend on a bike? $300?

I find that with most nonessential purchases the critics acceptable maximum price is whatever they paid for their similar purchase.
Likes For flyjimmy:
Old 06-13-19, 08:28 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by flyjimmy
I find that with most nonessential purchases the critics acceptable maximum price is whatever they paid for their similar purchase.
Exactly, and very Carlinesque. Anyone riding a more expensive bike is a lunatic and anyone riding a cheaper bike is an idiot. Or some variation thereof. People are funny creatures.

-Matt
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 06-13-19, 08:59 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
In another thread a poster made the following comment: [edited for brevity]
So my question is this: Who here considers a $10,000 bike to be a lavish luxurious extravagance?
i do. but what the heck, spend your money the way you see fit. just have fun riding.
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-13-19, 09:00 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
If riding a $10,000 bike pleases you and you can afford it, what's the problem?
To be clear, I don't see any problem with that.

The problem I see is the blindness to what is really normal.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 06-13-19, 09:23 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
$10,000 seems like a lot to me, but I'm not in the right income bracket to make those choices. In real life, I know people with $10,000 bikes and those bicycles seem absolutely delightful. I also know people with $60,000 vehicles, $500,000 houses, $3,000 dogs, and $120,000 university degrees. Of those things, I would choose the expensive bicycle and leave the rest. Other peoples' choices differ, and some people have to make more choices than others.

In the end, we are all morally blameworthy - at least according to this classic 1972 article that is taught in pretty much every freshman level ethics course in the US: https://www.utilitarian.net/singer/by/1972----.htm
Old 06-13-19, 09:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
In the end, we are all morally blameworthy - at least according to this classic 1972 article that is taught in pretty much every freshman level ethics course in the US: https://www.utilitarian.net/singer/by/1972----.htm
Thank you for this.

Bookmarked for when I have time to read it slowly.

-Tim-
Old 06-13-19, 11:55 PM
ridingfool

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
The way I see it is not really can u afford it as I have a few bikes some close to ten thousand and the others in the 5000 dollar range .but I also happen to ride alot so if I'm on a bike upwards of 25 hours a week .why not do it in confort and for the most part not have to worry to much about going down a hilll at speeds close to 50 mph. I have ridden cheaper bikes in the thousand dollar range . And too me at least not the same nothing like taking the f10;dogma out and knowing it can take much more than I can give it for years to come so for me it's money well spent. Not to mention all the money I save by riding so much as not having to see doctors all the time and be on all kinds of medicine.
Old 06-14-19, 12:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
How do u know where he lives as he said where he rides many ride good bikes i ride a route near where I live in North Jersey I'm sure some on here will know it. Called 9w and very commen to see 10.0000 dollar bikes with 5000.00 dollar rims guess most of them are from New York City or maybe not I have a few bikes that cost alot too. But the area I live in is far from weathty .in fact when I ride to get out of my area to get to 9w . Mostly all you see is riders on Walmart bikes

I don't bloody care where either of you ride, I don't believe that even one percent of the bikes either of you encounter are worth $10k or more. It's just bs.
Old 06-14-19, 12:10 AM
mattleegee

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I have spotted a few $10k bikes on my trail riding, some very nice to admire
One of them was actually on his knees fixing another bikers wheel (tube) on the side of the trail, these are people to, just like "us"

Components, paint jobs, wheels, frame material, or brand can place you in your category quick... could be $100 or $10k easy

Some that spent more might answer with "buy right once" or "yolo"

I file most of my bike expenses under health both mental and physical, probably saves some people money spending $10k on a bike, thats a couple weekends in Vegas with hookers and blow
Likes For mattleegee:
Old 06-14-19, 12:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts

It's a stupid thread reacting to a stupid post in another thread.

Who cares what other people think is the right amount of money to spend on a bike? The feed the beggar bit is a red herring --likely no one is really considering it that way except for the universally ridiculed post quoted in the op.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-14-19, 12:33 AM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by ridingfool
How do u know where he lives as he said where he rides many ride good bikes i ride a route near where I live in North Jersey I'm sure some on here will know it. Called 9w and very commen to see 10.0000 dollar bikes with 5000.00 dollar rims guess most of them are from New York City or maybe not I have a few bikes that cost alot too. But the area I live in is far from weathty .in fact when I ride to get out of my area to get to 9w . Mostly all you see is riders on Walmart bikes
Hmmm..... A ten dollar bike with five thousand dollar rims. I have never seen one....pictures???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.