Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

DC Rainmaker on the Strava vs. Relive.cc Backstory

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-12-19, 07:17 AM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

DC Rainmaker just posted regarding the real reasons for the "breakup" between Strava and Relive.cc.

In a nutshell, he argues Strava lawyers are being dumb. I'm inclined to agree. I stopped paying for Premium about a year ago, and if anything, this is just making me want to continue moving away from Strava.

Originally Posted by DC Rainmaker
It’s thus somewhat ironic that Strava’s own breakup letter to Relive users actually sums it all up the best: “Rest assured, nothing’s changed about how your information is stored or the control you have over how it’s accessed by API partners.”

However, it’s missing the next line to complete it and make it more accurate. So I’ll finish it for them: “Ultimately, what’s changed is that we sat down and decided that instead of creating new features for you as Strava users, we’d spend that time on removing functionality from the greater Strava ecosystem.”

Last edited by ZippyThePinhead; 07-12-19 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Added quote
Likes For ZippyThePinhead:
Old 07-12-19, 07:55 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I think this is interesting actually. I am a strava user, free version for the segments. They are kind of fun to me but anyways I think its really funny everyone is complaining that its their data being used and that strava shouldn't be able to control its use? Uhhhhh better not be using social media then because its the same thing. And a lot of people put way more personal information on other platforms then they do strava.

I am not sure what strava is doing but I don't really care. This seems just a business decision and I would bet there is something in the pipeline for them. They have issues no doubt but if they wanted to fix all the issues they would probably drop the completely free use and then they would die because most won't pay for its use I bet. I sure wouldn't!

I do like how DC is a pretty much completely neutral in its reviews. He doesn't hold out the stops. I would be willing to bet he won't be dropping his subscription though
Old 07-12-19, 08:14 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It's like supermarket tabloid or soap opera drama.

-Tim-
Old 07-12-19, 08:17 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
There's definitely something going on in the background at Strava that they apparently don't want us end-users to know about. They've been quietly dropping support for third-party apps for years now-- they killed KOM Defender, and the cool one that showed how many square mile sections were contained inside a loop route. It's a shame about Relive, the videos were really cool. I wish there was some other alternative, but I recognize the reality. Strava is cycling's Facebook to everybody's everything else.
Old 07-12-19, 09:07 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Wahoo apparently approached Relive on Twitter... stay tuned!
Likes For ChinookTx:
Old 07-12-19, 09:23 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I think this is interesting actually. I am a strava user, free version for the segments. They are kind of fun to me but anyways I think its really funny everyone is complaining that its their data being used and that strava shouldn't be able to control its use? Uhhhhh better not be using social media then because its the same thing.
Yeah. Who was it who said something like “if the product is free, you are the product.”
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 07-12-19, 09:55 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I think this is interesting actually. I am a strava user, free version for the segments. They are kind of fun to me but anyways I think its really funny everyone is complaining that its their data being used and that strava shouldn't be able to control its use? Uhhhhh better not be using social media then because its the same thing. And a lot of people put way more personal information on other platforms then they do strava.

I am not sure what strava is doing but I don't really care. This seems just a business decision and I would bet there is something in the pipeline for them. They have issues no doubt but if they wanted to fix all the issues they would probably drop the completely free use and then they would die because most won't pay for its use I bet. I sure wouldn't!

I do like how DC is a pretty much completely neutral in its reviews. He doesn't hold out the stops. I would be willing to bet he won't be dropping his subscription though
Strava has where you live. Twitter has a photo of your dinner.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-12-19, 09:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
There's definitely something going on in the background at Strava that they apparently don't want us end-users to know about. They've been quietly dropping support for third-party apps for years now-- they killed KOM Defender, and the cool one that showed how many square mile sections were contained inside a loop route. It's a shame about Relive, the videos were really cool. I wish there was some other alternative, but I recognize the reality. Strava is cycling's Facebook to everybody's everything else.
I find Garmin Connect more useful.

I know that's kind of heresy in here. But it's true.
Old 07-12-19, 09:57 AM
jimincalif

I don't look at the Relive videos all that often, but they can be fun sometimes. It was simple enough to login there and link to my Garmin account directly. No need for Strava as a gatekeeper.
Old 07-12-19, 10:57 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
...and Google knows your brand of toothpaste...
Old 07-12-19, 10:58 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Well...I respectfully disagree. If you think my friend they are only collecting your dinner info you are very mistaken. You social accounts are well tracked I promise and they are using your data for all sorts of uses.

now most of this tracking is really harmless, more about ad targeting but some can be very damaging in the wrong hands. If your giving your information no matter how trivial it is on a FREE place, your the item they are after.

Its all mute I know with our world. Strava has something in the pipe for certain though...….when Garmin systems and Strava no longer get along I will dump strava then. but until then its fun to use.
Old 07-12-19, 11:34 AM
jimincalif

Strava recently dropped the "Remember Me" box on their login (maybe still there for paying members?), just making it a bit more annoying to use. Our club has been trying to use it to track members mileage, but you cannot even get a report of year-to-date mileage by member out of the system. there is a support thread going back more than 5 years I think requesting this. A couple of times a Strava person chimed in they were working on it, but it's obvious they are not.

Overall the functionality seems pretty stagnant over the last few years and now this is a downgrade.
Old 07-12-19, 11:50 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
I don't look at the Relive videos all that often, but they can be fun sometimes. It was simple enough to login there and link to my Garmin account directly. No need for Strava as a gatekeeper.
Same here, and life goes on...

Strava recently dropped the "Remember Me" box on their login (maybe still there for paying members?), just making it a bit more annoying to use. Our club has been trying to use it to track members mileage, but you cannot even get a report of year-to-date mileage by member out of the system. there is a support thread going back more than 5 years I think requesting this. A couple of times a Strava person chimed in they were working on it, but it's obvious they are not.

Overall the functionality seems pretty stagnant over the last few years and now this is a downgrade.
Box disappeared for paying members as well.
Old 07-12-19, 12:41 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

He has stated elsewhere that Training Peaks is (at that time) his main, go-to Web site. Strava may have been at one time, but no longer. I can’t recall what he said about how the data flows, but presumably to Strava from TP?

Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Wahoo apparently approached Relive on Twitter... stay tuned!
A link to the tweet is in the comments on the DCR post.

I like them for special rides. But I use Garmin Connect to pipe data to Strava about 99% of the time, so I can continue to do that. Wahoo users, OTOH, can’t do that... yet.
Old 07-12-19, 03:19 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I find Garmin Connect more useful.

I know that's kind of heresy in here. But it's true.
I am doing the same...I use garmin connect for data collection and review in my training and such. You can say what you like about Garmin but My 520 has been excellent and the connect program and app have been nothing but 99% flawless for me. I will keep that as my go to place for data. I just have a free strava account that is linked to my garmin connect app so I can watch the segments and maybe do a few special events.

Strava is still a fun thing to play with to me but I could really take it or leave it.
Old 07-12-19, 03:32 PM
Seattle Forrest

Well...I respectfully disagree. If you think my friend they are only collecting your dinner info you are very mistaken. You social accounts are well tracked I promise and they are using your data for all sorts of uses.

now most of this tracking is really harmless, more about ad targeting but some can be very damaging in the wrong hands. If your giving your information no matter how trivial it is on a FREE place, your the item they are after.

Its all mute I know with our world. Strava has something in the pipe for certain though...….when Garmin systems and Strava no longer get along I will dump strava then. but until then its fun to use.
You're right, of course. Strava have to the location of secret military bases. Years ago, Yahoo published a number of searches, and people were able to identify a lady and her medical condition from them. Plus, servers get hacked, and social platforms have sensitive and sometimes valuable data there.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people say that if you're sharing your data with Google, you don't have a right to complain about others having it. I can trust Google (but I can't type that with a straight face!) and not trust Strava. Of course I really don't trust Google, and basically trust Strava. I guess auto-argue got the best of me. I'm mostly replying to say you're right.
Old 07-12-19, 03:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

I am doing the same...I use garmin connect for data collection and review in my training and such. You can say what you like about Garmin but My 520 has been excellent and the connect program and app have been nothing but 99% flawless for me. I will keep that as my go to place for data. I just have a free strava account that is linked to my garmin connect app so I can watch the segments and maybe do a few special events.

Strava is still a fun thing to play with to me but I could really take it or leave it.
My Garmin hardware has been working pretty well for me. They've been improving Connect too. I can get my mileage for the year, or for a pair of shoes or whatever. I can see my critical power, for one ride or for years. I can see my TSS going back (this could be improved). Some of the data is frankly easier to get at than on Strava.

The only thing I really use Strava for is the global heat map. Great tool to done new routes. I share some of my rides with Strava, the ones that will show up on their map, because it seems to me like I owe them (and other cyclists) that.
Old 07-12-19, 03:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I think we are all a bit guilty of being liberal with our information on places online. We are guilty of giving up our information to all places. You don't think amazon and google are working together for no reason do you?

Back to the point, strava can do what it wants with its policies and how to enforce them. So they want to dump a company for insider reasons who are we to argue or complain......just be careful what you put on line, someone is reading it.

DC rain was just doing wheat he does. I like his views on things....I don't share all of his ideas or opinions but he is a much more reliable source than most. I feel this article was a bit of clickbate/subscribers boost because its defiantly a hot topic. Has to stay relevant too.
Old 07-12-19, 03:48 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

You're right, of course. Of course I really don't trust Google, and basically trust Strava. I guess auto-argue got the best of me. I'm mostly replying to say you're right.
thanks, I wasn't calling you out or calling you wrong. I don't really know what the do with all the data collected but I am sure its not in our favor.

FWIW....nobody in my house has ever told me I was right before, I don't know if my wife knows those words. I am not sure how to feel....kind of woosy actually
Old 07-12-19, 06:42 PM
jimincalif

Just got back from a ride, looked at my segments on Strava, it appears they've done away with the time deltas on the full web site, (the mobile doesn't show them either). Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
Old 07-12-19, 06:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

My KOM/PR/yPR splits are still there-- your ride also doesn't have the Chase the Ladder summary for the first time I can recall. So something is amiss.
Old 07-12-19, 07:18 PM
jimincalif

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
My KOM/PR/yPR splits are still there-- your ride also doesn't have the Chase the Ladder summary for the first time I can recall. So something is amiss.
Are you a paid member?
Old 07-12-19, 07:21 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
My wahoo still auto uploads to MapMyFitness which is linked to Relive. I’m still getting instantaneous notifications that Relive is ready to create my ride. Still don’t need to do anything manually. Strava is auto linked to my Wahoo and I just use it to track KOMs and my socialize with my friends. For data analysis, wahoo gives me everything I need and it is interactive. Never had the need for premium version of Strava. It doesn’t give me anything that Wahoo already doesn’t already do for free.
Old 07-12-19, 07:22 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

I am-- and I'm sure hoping isn't crippling features in the hopes of getting more paid members. The (hopefully) coincidental loss of added functionality the very day after the ReLive breakup is definitely concerning.
Old 07-12-19, 07:29 PM
jimincalif

Yeah, I’m guessing they are crippling the free membership further.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.