Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the most comfortable 32C tire capable road bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the most comfortable 32C tire capable road bike?

Old 08-02-19, 08:14 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
This is why I started with the recommendation to go to a bike shop you trust for your test rides. If it's not a good bike shop, they won't go to the trouble of switching the stem. And if a bike needs a stem swap, it's not the "perfect bike" without it.
And how is some bike newb that can't fit themselves, or know to switch a stem, going to know a bike ship is "one they can trust"? You might as well tell people to only fly with an airline they "trust".
And obviously, I meant "the otherwise perfect bike", now you're just being obtuse. If I spot a bike on Craigslist, that's exactly what I'm interested in, in minty nice condition, in my size, for a killer price, but the seat isn't comfortable for me, then for all intents and purposes, that bike can still be reasonably described as "perfect" for me. Having to change some piddly part in order to make it literally 100% perfect for me, doesn't invalidate the point.
Old 08-02-19, 11:36 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
I think it's far more reasonable for a newbie to ask around and find out which is(are) the better shop(s) in the area, than to expect that newbie to know how to fit a bike on craigslist. If the shop chosen doesn't suggest (and even perform) the stem swap, maybe they don't have the right bike. And again, if the bike the buyer leaves the shop with doesn't fit, it's not the perfect bike. Do you really think a cyclist, new to the sport, will have the knowledge and understanding to change out stems, bars, or saddle, or how to adjust the bars and saddle? This site has an entire sub-forum dedicated to bike fitting -- it's not like going to a car dealer and saying, "I like the red one best."
Old 08-02-19, 02:35 PM
frogmorton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I have a Specialized Roubaix that will take 32mm. But that is the absolute limit. If I could do it again, I would get the Diverge because it will allow even bigger tires and open up more possibilities for gravel. There are lots of good bikes out there though and you should try before you buy.
Old 08-03-19, 02:24 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Mostly good advice here, agree with almost all of it.

My advice, which is hopefully an aggregate of the above, is to find a bike that seems close, then see if the shop will work with you to get it dialled in... it shouldn't take more than a trying a couple of stems to position the bars where you want them.

I also agree with the advice that Rivendell makes very good 'comfort' oriented road bikes, but you certainly pay handsomely for the privilege of owning one.
I would echo this. While test rides are good, the real question will be how you feel after a few weeks of riding. For me as an endurance rider, a test ride would have to be longer than what is generally accepted and changes to the bike are inevitable. On my recently completed Trans Am Bike Race, I rode a Specialized Diverge that I had modified over the last year. Shortened the crank arms, replaced the rear cassette with an 11-40 for the 16-18% grades, played with the aero bar positioning numerous times, raised the handlebars, rotated the handlebars several times, went with a little wider tire than most (32mm) all while putting around 3500 miles on the bike before the race. Initially after I purchased the bike, it was not as comfortable as my go-to bike, a Volagi. But I thought that with the future shock and the ability to fit wider tires, eventually it would be the wiser choice for the TABR. It definitely was, but it took a lot of tweaking to get there.