Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Ridley size question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-07, 09:26 AM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridley size question.

To make a long story short, I have a chance to buy a Ridley supercross for a good deal. The only thing is the size. The seat tube is a 58cm, and this thing is a tall 58 that would need long legs to clear. The strang thing is, the top tube is a 55cm, and the bike is listed on the Ridley site as a 54cm. I'm 6 foot, and the bike is a good fit (maybe a little short in the tt, but it also has a 100mm stem that can be swapped for a 110, or 120), but I could't see anyone shorter being able to ride this thing. A local cross guru said he would rather deal with a shorter top tube because he could adjust with a stem and seat post, than a tall seat tube that you're stuck with.

If you have ANY info on these funny bikes, please put your 2 cents in. Thanks in advance.

BTW, my current cross bike is a 58cm, and this thing seems bigger everywhere BUT the tt. As I said, there is nooo way this thing is a 54 or a 56! I'm guessing Ridley shortened the tt for sharp handling and light weight.
Old 04-19-07, 02:27 PM
damocles1
The mods changed this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridley cross bikes are TALL! At 6', a 58cm Ridley is going to be way to big for you. The height of the bike and a short stem will be problems that add up. Cross bikes size out big because of the higher BB shell and different geometry.
I'm 6'1" and ride a 54cm Ridley and a 54cm Salsa with 120 stems and normal amounts of post showing. If you plan on just 'riding' a cross bike, a 56cm should fit you fine. If you plan on racing, a smaller bike is the way to go.
Old 04-19-07, 03:15 PM
sfcrossrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you sooooo much for the in-put damocles1. The 54cm with the 120mm stem seemed the way to go IMO as well. BTW, I plan on using this as a race bike.
Old 04-19-07, 03:30 PM
damocles1
The mods changed this...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You want your cross race rig to be about the same size, or a bit smaller than your normal road bike.

My Damocles has a 56.5 top and a 120mm stem. Both cross bikes have 55mm top tubes with 120mm stems. The 1.5cm difference is noticeable at first, but after about 15 minutes, I don't feel it anymore.
Old 04-19-07, 05:15 PM
sfcrossrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 54cm Ridley looked WAY too big for anyone under 6 foot. As I said, this thing is bigger than my 58cm everywhere but the tt. 54.5 with a 120mm stem seems tight, but fast... just what I'm looking for.
Old 04-23-07, 09:58 AM
somnambulant
So I says to Mable I says

Bikes: '05 Urbanite Fixie, '06 Lemond Croix de Fer, '06 Jamis Dragon Pro, '07 IRO Bikeforums Track, '07 Planet-X Uncle John

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah.. Ridley's definitely run on the "enormous" side of things.
Old 04-25-07, 04:43 PM
JimmyMack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My road bike is a 56 ctc old school steel frame. The tt is 56 as well.

The ridley I owned was a 52, and I could barley stand over it. The 50 was to small to shoulder so I went with the 52. Ridley's felt like a highwheeler dueto the high BB. I hated it, and I love my current Kona JTS.