Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fixed Gear Freestyle
Reload this Page >

Can I fixie this Fuji?

Search
Notices
Fixed Gear Freestyle Trickbikes and Freestylers, here's your home! Here, you can discuss the ins and outs of building and riding these bikes.

Can I fixie this Fuji?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-18, 08:30 AM
RollingBuffalo

Bikes: '13 Schwinn Solitaire, 84' Miyata 310, '82 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I fixie this Fuji?

Parts bike I got laying around.. Was going to see if I could turn it into a fixie for a cheap flip.. Can I convert this thing? Don't ask me what happened to this bike, it was like this when I got it, lol.

Old 08-05-18, 01:51 PM
RollingBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by RollingBuffalo; 08-05-18 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 08:28 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Gross... But ya, you can turn anything into a fixed-gear with the right amount of spending... Just hope you can find someone that will buy it.

Last edited by SeanBikes; 08-10-18 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 08:37 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Probably wanna have bolt on wheels instead of QR (at least in the back), new crankset and probably a BB replacement, throw on a cog and lock-ring and voila! A "fixie"...

The main selling point on these flips is style though... Things like a nice colourful seat, grips/handlebar tape, chain, pedals, straps, and cable housing for the front brake (if you're keeping that) fetch top dollar for people who prefer fashion over function. Here's a pic of an old Norco Monterey I converted to FG. Rides like a dream and looks decent too... Hopefully you can find some inspiration in it:

Happy building!
Old 08-08-18, 04:46 PM
RollingBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanBikes
Probably wanna have bolt on wheels instead of QR (at least in the back), new crankset and probably a BB replacement, throw on a cog and lock-ring and voila! A "fixie"...

The main selling point on these flips is style though... Things like a nice colourful seat, grips/handlebar tape, chain, pedals, straps, and cable housing for the front brake (if you're keeping that) fetch top dollar for people who prefer fashion over function. Here's a pic of an old Norco Monterey I converted to FG. Rides like a dream and looks decent too... Hopefully you can find some inspiration in it:

Happy building!
That's a lot of new parts there my man..Not sure if I'd be able to recoup all that $$$ on the resale in my market....I like how you did yours though.....I would like to do something similar in terms of style...something that is catchy or cool, lol...I know that sells, and if it does why not cater to it , lol....I was going to do just the front brake but could I do a coaster brake on the back as well ? I see you didn't bother taking off the eyelets for the cables...I was thinking of grinding mine off, or are they " cool" ?? do they like to have those left on?

Also, do they sell a conversion bolt or something so I can get rid of the QR ? or, do I have to find a new rim ? thanks

Last edited by RollingBuffalo; 08-08-18 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 04:52 PM
RollingBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, debating whether to use spray can enamel, and put many many layers on it so it's more durable...Or perhaps, enamel applied with an artist's brush ? Lastly, I could always call the local auto parts store that mixes paint and ask them if they have any leftover goofs or something (I have a compressor and spray guns). EDIT: Also just saw they sell cans of plastidip at home depot..maybe that too

Last edited by RollingBuffalo; 08-08-18 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 04:54 PM
RollingBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gross... But ya, you can turn anything into a fixed-gear with the right amount of spending... Just hope you can find a sucker that will buy it.
Oh don't you worry...I got lots of tools...Once I get going maybe I'll do a thread on it, or maybe just post the pics in this thread.....She's gonna look purdy.
Old 08-08-18, 05:30 PM
RollingBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow, I see they got colored aluminum alloy handle bars on ebay for only $10 shipped.
Old 08-08-18, 07:54 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Originally Posted by RollingBuffalo
That's a lot of new parts there my man..Not sure if I'd be able to recoup all that $$$ on the resale in my market....
Fair concern... If you live in a university town, they usually have co-op bike shops that let you use whatever old parts they have laying around... good way to save some cash. Otherwise:
  • You may be able to repair the BB instead of replacing it unless it's sealed (doubtful)
  • Cranksets can be pretty expensive, so if that one's still usable maybe you can just add a new chain ring (or a used one from the aforementioned co-op)
  • You can get a cheap cog and lock-ring on Amazon for like $7
  • You don't necessarily need straps if you keep the front brake. You could throw a coaster brake (or a rear v-brake for that matter) on there as well -- I don't really have much experience with them though (aside from when I rode one as a 5 year-old), so I can't really comment on that... Cheaper to just keep the rear brake and/or go for the true fixed approach. I always keep the front brake regardless, in case of emergency
  • Handlebar tape/grips and seat probably need to be new to get the aesthetics you want (about $40 for both on Amazon)
  • Pedals look like junk, but replacing them is your call
  • Can probably re-use cable housing (unless you want to get some matching colours for whatever seat and handlebar tape you use)
  • Tubes are pretty cheap
  • Chains are like $10 on Amazon
... do they sell a conversion bolt or something so I can get rid of the QR ? or, do I have to find a new rim ? thanks
Not sure about this, but I know you can get some good locking quick release pins that are meant for anti-theft... Just wouldn't want the back wheel falling off during a hard skid-stop or something. You could probably also just re-build the hub with a bolted axle, but I haven't done that conversion myself, so I'm not sure if the hub would be compatible.... It can probably be done.

I see you didn't bother taking off the eyelets for the cables...I was thinking of grinding mine off, or are they " cool" ?? do they like to have those left on?
I just kept them because a) I don't own a grinder and b) I didn't want to deal with re-painting the frame. I think it is "cooler" not to have them but whatever. This bike also has sentimental value to me, so I don't plan on flipping it. I may want to revert to a 10-speed in the future, so it's probably good that I left them on.

All the prices I state are in Canadian dollars...

I'm curious to see where you take this!
Old 08-08-18, 07:56 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

wow, I see they got colored aluminum alloy handle bars on ebay for only $10 shipped.
That ain't bad! Though if you're trying to save cash you can probably keep the flat bars. In the past I've taken a hacksaw to them to shorten them down, but I think a lot of fixie riders like the longer flat bars...
Old 08-08-18, 07:58 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Also, debating whether to use spray can enamel, and put many many layers on it so it's more durable...Or perhaps, enamel applied with an artist's brush ? Lastly, I could always call the local auto parts store that mixes paint and ask them if they have any leftover goofs or something (I have a compressor and spray guns). EDIT: Also just saw they sell cans of plastidip at home depot..maybe that too
I've never tried a re-paint, but I've always wanted to. From what I understand you've gotta strip the old paint down to nothing and prime the metal before the new paint will stick. Seems like a lot of work...
Old 08-09-18, 05:57 AM
RollingBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never tried a re-paint, but I've always wanted to. From what I understand you've gotta strip the old paint down to nothing and prime the metal before the new paint will stick. Seems like a lot of work...
SeanBike..thanks for your replies...I'm interested in seeing where I take this bike too, lol....Definitely going to try and keep the cost as low as I can so we'll see....You don't have to strip all the old paint off..You do have to at least sand/scratch the old paint so the new paint will stick....I'll probably try an air sander and or wire wheel to take most of it off....I might do some work to this bike today...I'll take some pics if I do.
Old 08-09-18, 06:00 AM
RollingBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What should I be looking for in terms of # of teeth for the chain ring and rear cog ?
Old 08-09-18, 06:24 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
42x16 is a good start. A 42 ring should be extremely easy to find used, and a 16 fixed gear you can get for $10-15 on Ebay. You still need to get a flip flop hub though, and rebuild the rear wheel. Hubs are a little more expensive, I have not priced them recently.

If you find a hub that's the same diameter as the one that's on there now, you might be able to re-use the spokes, saving more money there. Plus the wheels will match.
Old 08-09-18, 09:59 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

What should I be looking for in terms of # of teeth for the chain ring and rear cog ?
I just built up a 44:16 single speed that rides really easily. I prefer a bigger ratio, but I think anything in the 42-46:16-18 range is decent for a casual rider.

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
You still need to get a flip flop hub though, and rebuild the rear wheel.
You don't necessarily need the flip-flop hub... just adds some versatility by giving the rider another gear option. You will, however need to re-dish the wheel to center it and ensure you have a straight chainline if you keep this hub/wheel.

EDIT: Here's a useful link: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed-conversion.html

Last edited by SeanBikes; 09-14-18 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 10:06 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
I'd just singlespeed it. Decent fixed gear will require rear wheel.
Make sure you get short pull levers for the brakes.

If you really wanna fixie it, wait 'til Nashbar has another 20% off sale and get these wheels.
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...eelset-vl-zltw
Old 08-09-18, 10:23 AM
RollingBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I'd just singlespeed it. Decent fixed gear will require rear wheel.
Make sure you get short pull levers for the brakes.

If you really wanna fixie it, wait 'til Nashbar has another 20% off sale and get these wheels.
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...eelset-vl-zltw
thanks for the link...Maybe if I was buliding my own but can't put those on a flip in this market....Short pull ? You mean like the kind on mtn bikes ?
Old 08-09-18, 10:38 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
thanks for the link...Maybe if I was buliding my own but can't put those on a flip in this market....Short pull ? You mean like the kind on mtn bikes ?
Yeah, that's why I say to just single speed it. Gonna be a tough flip anyways, as you'll need brake levers, grips, chainring, freewheel, at the very least.

As for brake levers, the kind on MTBs with cantilevers, or some city bike levers. V-brake levers won't work well with those brakes.
Old 08-11-18, 11:16 PM
Thetank

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you already have all the parts necessary to convert this bike, by the time you buy all the parts necessary you're already past the price point of a brand new value fixed gear that's all too common. If you're looking to flip it for a profit that's even worse considering the condition and age of the bike, especially when you can get a pure fix or similar all complete bike for $150 on craigslist nearly new.
Old 08-12-18, 06:58 AM
RollingBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thetank
Unless you already have all the parts necessary to convert this bike, by the time you buy all the parts necessary you're already past the price point of a brand new value fixed gear that's all too common. If you're looking to flip it for a profit that's even worse considering the condition and age of the bike, especially when you can get a pure fix or similar all complete bike for $150 on craigslist nearly new.
I may have the parts laying around. I did just check out the co-op recently and found out the prices are nice and cheap there, so I might be alright.
Old 08-13-18, 01:35 PM
STSCOWBOY

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything is possible
Old 08-18-18, 11:02 AM
Thetank

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What you have to consider in all this, specifically if you're looking to flip it and the prices you found are cheap, what price are you looking to sell this conversion at?
Even at $100 it's a tough sell for a bike made from such an old frame considering as I mentioned before that you can get a new ish fixed gear for $150. hell, there's a guy in my local bike sell group selling a bareknuckle for $200

Good luck1
Old 09-14-18, 08:38 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Progress pics?
Old 09-16-18, 03:34 PM
RollingBuffalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Progress pics?
Life's gotten in the way....besides bicycling and bikes becoming a hobby it's also become a side business for me...What started out this year as a new exercise has developed into a lot more, lol...Last count I was around 24-27 bikes...Unfortunately that Fuji is down on the list of bikes to work on...I still have it, and if and when I get to it I will post pics and progess.