Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Idiot with dog in the car window

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-18, 10:41 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts

I was riding my recumbent trike in my own neighborhood when I came to a side street with a car stopped at the stop sign I was just about to cross in front of the car when I realized the driver could not see anything coming from my direction because her dog was between her and the open window. If I couldn't see her it was likely she couldn't see me either. I stopped and yelled about getting the damn dog out of her window so she could see to drive. I only rode past after I was sure she knew I was coming.
Old 10-28-18, 10:50 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Curious

Do you think riding a trike is more dangerous than a two wheel bike? I could imagine the sight lines in many cars is bad.

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I was riding my recumbent trike in my own neighborhood when I came to a side street with a car stopped at the stop sign I was just about to cross in front of the car when I realized the driver could not see anything coming from my direction because her dog was between her and the open window. If I couldn't see her it was likely she couldn't see me either. I stopped and yelled about getting the damn dog out of her window so she could see to drive. I only rode past after I was sure she knew I was coming.
Old 10-28-18, 11:12 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
If you could see her, why do you think she couldn't see you?

Dogs like to put their heads out the window. They perceive the world primarily though their sense of smell, so driving along with your head out the window is probably the doggie equivalent to an acid trip.
Old 10-28-18, 11:15 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott

Dogs like to put their heads out the window. They perceive the world primarily though their sense of smell, so driving along with your head out the window is probably the doggie equivalent to an acid trip.
Then My dogs are always tripping out. I drive a convertible so for them a topless car ride is a total head trip.

BTW I agree with you, if the OP could see the driver, I am certain that she could see the OP.
Old 10-28-18, 11:22 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts

The OP wrote "... If I couldn't see her it was likely she couldn't see me either. ..." Where do you and eja_bottechia get that the OP could see the driver? (Just askin'. I wasn't there.)

Ben
Old 10-28-18, 12:34 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The OP wrote "... If I couldn't see her it was likely she couldn't see me either. ..." Where do you and eja_bottechia get that the OP could see the driver? (Just askin'. I wasn't there.)

Ben
Well, somehow he figured out it was a woman. (I'm willing to bet he wouldn't have been yelling at some huge guy with a red MAGA hat).
Old 10-28-18, 12:44 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Then My dogs are always tripping out. I drive a convertible so for them a topless car ride is a total head trip.
Sounds like the closest a dog will ever get to going to a Grateful Dead concert.

Old 10-28-18, 01:58 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Cyclists and good drivers should also look out for this kind of thing. If you can't see the driver's face directly or in any of the mirrors, he or she can't see you either. And that would be true for large trucks and busses. I wouldn't have yelled, but honked with my loudest bicycle horn.
Old 10-28-18, 02:07 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts

BTW I agree with you, if the OP could see the driver, I am certain that she could see the OP.
Do you know what the # 1 excuse by motorist is after an auto/cyclist accident?
Old 10-28-18, 02:22 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Do you know what the # 1 excuse by motorist is after an auto/cyclist accident?
I will bite? What is it? The Chihuahua blocked my view?

Old 10-28-18, 02:56 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
thats funny
Old 10-28-18, 03:14 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
I could see that it was a woman when I passed in front of the car and could see the driver. To the question about a trike being more dangerous than a regular bike, this is one that is often asked by someone who has not ridden one. The trike is 7 feet long from tip to tail and my head is just about 36" above the pavement. I was also using a very visible flag, not the one that you buy at your local bike shop. I was dressed in bright red sweatpants and orange and brown sweatshirt so clothing should also be visible. It is just that the dog took up the entire space where the driver should have had a clear view.

I have had just one accident in over 40K miles on recumbent trikes. It had to have been an impaired driver. It was a 35 mph zone on a street with 4 regular lanes and a turn lane. Sunday morning at about 11 am in bright sunlight. It is a marked bike route and the road is straight with nothing to block line-of-site. The driver came straight up the right lane and clipped the handlebars on the trike. I lost my mirror and safety light but otherwise neither I nor the trike was damaged.
Old 10-29-18, 01:39 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
My recumbent trike is invisible to motorists. I've only ridden it on my own street and neither a neighbour reversing off their drive, nor a car at the T-junction, gave way to me as they should.

From a distance I recon they think i'm a child in a go-kart, and once near enough i'm under their window line.

The start of the nearest MUP is off the next street from mine. On my bikes I use the pavement in this bike-fiendly town, wherever there isn't an MUP, but the trike is not so easy to negotiate the kerb and it's relatively crashy over bumpy stuff.
Old 10-29-18, 01:58 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
I misread what the OP wrote. In my defense, the painkillers that I am taking for my recently fractured ankle are making me dopey. My apologies, dogs in the front passenger seat can be a distraction.
Old 10-29-18, 07:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
AirZound Airhorn. Coupla friendly toots, crisis averted (dog possibly agitated).

Old 10-29-18, 12:54 PM
KraneXL

I misread what the OP wrote. In my defense, the painkillers that I am taking for my recently fractured ankle are making me dopey. My apologies, dogs in the front passenger seat can be a distraction.
You answered your own question: The excuse is "I didn't see him."
Old 10-30-18, 12:05 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Originally Posted by BobbyG
AirZound Airhorn. Coupla friendly toots, crisis averted (dog possibly agitated).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8e36yfiwaE
Mine's electric so I can fit a car horn, as I have to my e-bike. Perhaps it'd have been useful for the driveway incident (I sat there by her car with my arms crossed, waiting for the penny to drop when she saw me halfway off the drive) but, as with the bike, incidents like the T-junction would be too late.

I generally don't find horns useful for their purpose, on any vehicle - usually the first thing you do is avoid the accident first, and the horn then only becomes useful for releasing a signal of disapproval... which isn't helpful or constructive.
Old 10-30-18, 12:34 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
I've often seen dogs in between people and the steering wheels and/or windows. Can block the view, and can also block the driver's ability to effectively steer the vehicle. It's one of the warning signs I try to watch out for. Like inattentiveness, failure to make eye contact, anger (judgment impairment), weaving/wandering, etc.

Unsafe.
Old 10-30-18, 06:52 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
...the horn then only becomes useful for releasing a signal of disapproval... which isn't helpful or constructive.
...but more socially benign than cursing.
Old 10-30-18, 06:59 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It happens, what I hate is dogs barking at me when they pass. A few weeks ago someone passed, too close, it was at a slow speed and she was passing in an intersection too I may add. Would have been fine except for the German shepherd type dog half out the window that was inches from my face snapping and barking as he went by.

Last edited by Rootman; 11-27-18 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-30-18, 01:16 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Mine's electric so I can fit a car horn, as I have to my e-bike. Perhaps it'd have been useful for the driveway incident (I sat there by her car with my arms crossed, waiting for the penny to drop when she saw me halfway off the drive) but, as with the bike, incidents like the T-junction would be too late.

I generally don't find horns useful for their purpose, on any vehicle - usually the first thing you do is avoid the accident first, and the horn then only becomes useful for releasing a signal of disapproval... which isn't helpful or constructive.
That was peculiar. Horns are warning devices before the fact -- in coordination with your accident avoidance. They're useless afterwards.
Old 10-31-18, 12:57 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Originally Posted by KraneXL
That was peculiar. Horns are warning devices before the fact -- in coordination with your accident avoidance. They're useless afterwards.
Contrary to what a horn should or shouldn't be, the issue is in the resource available - if someone pulls put on me, I'm on the brakes. And if i'm on the brakes, where's the horn..? Its near my thumb but it's still not easily attainable whilst i'm busy trying to avoid getting killed.

I didn't see that this needed expansion, but as I'm here, the motorists here should be aware that motorcyclists have the same problem, which is why videos of motorcycle near misses and accidents feature very little in the way of horn accoustics.
Old 11-01-18, 11:43 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Just stay back from that car.

How hard is that?

I got my doctorate from a Crackerjack box before they took the surprise out, but hey.
Old 11-01-18, 11:45 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
guess it's back to Foo...
Old 11-02-18, 12:15 PM
tsheeran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While everyone understands that dogs like to put their heads out of a vehicle's window, it should be illegal for this to occur in the front driver or front passenger windows. We wouldn't allow children to sit on laps even though they perceive the world through an intimate connection with their parents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.