Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ever wondered what happens if you inflate a tyre until it explodes?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 02:24 PM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

(starts at 8:30) Don't try this at home, kids
Old 12-03-18, 02:34 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Back in the '70s before hookbead was developed, inflating a tire was an adventure, you never were quite sure the
tire would hold or not on the basis of friction and air pressure. I had a number of blowouts over the years, sounds
like a 22cal pistol being fired. Hook bead tires do this on rare occasions when the hook is not fully seated. If you
are looking at the right spot you can see and sometimes catch the herniating tube before it blows with a bang.
Old 12-03-18, 02:36 PM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Found out the hard way when a girlfriend decided to put air in the tires of my mountain bike. 100 PSI in clinchers (not tubeless) blew about an hour after she filled the tires...the front had a bent rim and torn sidewall and the rear just had a shredded sidewall.
Old 12-03-18, 02:40 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Back in the '70s before hookbead was developed, inflating a tire was an adventure, you never were quite sure the
tire would hold or not on the basis of friction and air pressure. I had a number of blowouts over the years, sounds
like a 22cal pistol being fired. Hook bead tires do this on rare occasions when the hook is not fully seated. If you
are looking at the right spot you can see and sometimes catch the herniating tube before it blows with a bang.
I posted about this in another thread, but one night I woke up to the strange and sickening sound of what sounding like my spokes creaking (sort of like the ping them make sometimes when you relieve stress on them), following by an almighty bang. It was about 3 am, and I was worried someone in the apartment building would call the cops. It's disturbingly loud.
Old 12-03-18, 02:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Any one who has worked in a LBS knows that creaking sound. Often accompanied with a "Ooo S..T!" then the bang if one's hands are not fast enough to purge the valve. (Actually more often one hand, the other one is madly trying to keep the creeping off tire in the rim). Andy
Old 12-03-18, 03:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ears ring for quite a while..
Old 12-03-18, 03:57 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Ugh I reflexively flinch just thinking about this.

2 stories:

When my now-wife and I started dating I was at her apartment one evening and I had brought my commuter bike inside with me. We were watching TV, the bike was leaning against the wall, not being touched, when BAM! the tire blew off. Turns out the rim tape had gotten out of place so one of the spokes was poking into the tube and it decided to fail at that moment.

It took several hours for the cats to reappear.

Second time: I had bought an old gas-pipe Raleigh and converted to a fixie/beater bike for getting around town. Having grown up in the 80s and 90s I wasn't familiar with the old cheap steel clincher rims from the 70s, and I also was not familiar with the fact that they don't have much of a hook to hold the bead. So I inflated the tires to 90 PSI which was normal, for the time.

I had two tires catastrophically blow out from under me before I figured out I should run lower pressure. I didn't crash either time, but something that loud and unexpected, during a ride, certainly made my heart rate numbers spike up a bit.
Old 12-03-18, 04:09 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
If you are looking at the right spot you can see and sometimes catch the herniating tube before it blows with a bang.
It's been awhile but I can't ever remember being quick enough to save it once I saw the tire start to swell on the rim.
Old 12-03-18, 04:42 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
In the early 70's I had a Raleigh Grand Prix and a guy was working on it in the shop. I have always had a practice of putting talcum powder on the tube, more back then than now. The steel rims were not hook bead. He was using a compressor. Suddenly I hear a "POW" and see a white cloud billow out of the shop entrance . . . .
Old 12-03-18, 04:52 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Any one who has worked in a LBS knows that creaking sound. Often accompanied with a "Ooo S..T!" then the bang if one's hands are not fast enough to purge the valve. (Actually more often one hand, the other one is madly trying to keep the creeping off tire in the rim). Andy
Yes, that's the sound. What is it that is actually happening? I noticed the bead on my tire was slightly striated, so I wasn't sure if it was the sound of those striations creeping toward the edge of the rim, or the spokes somehow making the sound?
Old 12-03-18, 05:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Will manufacturer warranty cover this defect?
Old 12-03-18, 06:05 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
215 psi on a carbon clincher rim. Inflated with a floor pump! Some delamination at 150 psi first.

From pinkbike. Action starts at 2:30. Note the full face shield on the operator.
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/336672/
Old 12-03-18, 06:19 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Yeah, Every kid growing up in the 60's and '70s who filled up their ballon tire bomber at the local service station with the air hose has done this.
Old 12-03-18, 11:53 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
I remember working in the bike shop during the transition from 27" to 700C. We had many tires available in both sizes. If you put a 27" tire on a 700C rim it would work fine- then you'd pump it up to 80psi or so and it would crawl off the rim and go BOOM. Yes, Andy, I know that sound.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 12-04-18, 05:22 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I'm probably the only person who didn't know this but my exploding tube experience went like this: I had a flat tire on my touring bike - not a puncture, but the stem pulled away from the tube. So, I got a new tube and decided to test out my floor pump on the new tube before installing it in the tire (I had been having some issues with my floor pump sealing to the stems on my other bike and wasn't sure if it was a pump issue or a tube/stem issue with the other tubes). This was a heavy duty, puncture resistant tube and I started inflating it, again, outside the tire. I don't think I got above around 35 psi and I noticed the tube was looking somewhat distorted as it was inflated - some sections seemed to bulge more than others. So, I'm thinking the tube is defective since the tube isn't inflating evenly ... of course, at around 35 or so psi, the tube exploded. Was loud, and startling, as I'm thinking I'm well below the threshold psi that the tube could support and was NOT expecting the tube to burst.

So, if a burst tube is loud when it explodes inside the tire, I'm here to say it's even louder when outside the tire.

I always have to learn things the hard way ......
Old 12-04-18, 08:51 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
In the early 70's I had a Raleigh Grand Prix and a guy was working on it in the shop. I have always had a practice of putting talcum powder on the tube, more back then than now. The steel rims were not hook bead. He was using a compressor. Suddenly I hear a "POW" and see a white cloud billow out of the shop entrance . . . .
I like the detail about the talcum powder cloud.
Old 12-04-18, 10:39 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Yeah, Every kid growing up in the 60's and '70s who filled up their ballon tire bomber at the local service station with the air hose has done this.

My thoughts as well.
Old 12-04-18, 11:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Poorly installed tires can do this.. tube pushes the bead off the rim..

Inner tube goes boom..
Old 12-04-18, 12:01 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Poorly installed tires can do this.. tube pushes the bead off the rim..Inner tube goes boom..
Put this into the "Slow Learner" category.

The very day in summer 1993 we bought our first tandem, a Burley Duet (still going strong!). It's in the living room and it's 2am. BOOM! Those kids at the shop must not have mounted the tire correctly.......

A couple of months later, on a club ride, front tire, BOOM! in the middle of a pace line. Miraculously stayed upright and took out none of our friends. Gee, I thought I was so careful installing that tire.....

A couple of weeks after that, another club ride, another front tire detonation, this time at around 22mph on a turn. We were down in a split second. Lots of road rash but nothing broken and no other riders hurt. We limped home with about 50psi and I did some research. It turned out Specialized had made a run of Armadillo tires that were slightly oversize and they offered to replace my tires for free. They then proceeded to send me 2 27in tires instead of 700x25c. I donated them to a friend with full disclosure and he was going to use them to hang stuff up in his barn or something.

Continental ever since with 0 issues.
Old 12-05-18, 08:54 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
LOL, I hate when that happens. This summer while working in my shop ( very hot day mind you ) I heard what sounded like a shot gun going off, scared me as it was loud and didn't sound like a bicycle tire exploding. I went outside and looked around at my car & truck tires and all was good & I never found what it was, fast forward to last month when I found what went boom. A good friend had his kids old Yamaha quad here for a bunch of work and the new tubes he put in the rear tires exploded ripping the tires apart lol.

Glenn
Old 12-05-18, 09:05 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Long ago, I asked my son to use my compressor to blow up the tires on a garden cart. 25 years later we still have the discussion of whether "blow up" means "inflate" or "explode". I was a good 20 feet away and my ears rang for half a day.
Old 12-05-18, 11:53 AM
robertorolfo

Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
25 years later we still have the discussion of whether "blow up" means "inflate" or "explode".
Ha, now that is a funny story. As someone who sometimes takes instructions too literally, I might take your son's side on this one.
Old 12-05-18, 12:28 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Wilson!
Old 12-05-18, 12:44 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i use a pump, never happens.
Old 12-05-18, 04:46 PM
dabac

Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
.... I'm well below the threshold psi that the tube could support and was NOT expecting the tube to burst.......
Tubes are only meant to provide an air-tight cavity, and rely on the tire for structural strength. Puncture-resistant or not, outside the constraints of a tire they will stretch unevenly to resemble a cartoon or a recently fed snake and eventually burst at a fairly low pressure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.