Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Clipless or not for touring?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-06-19, 11:31 PM
jockstick

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Do you use clipless pedals for touring? Why or why not?
Old 01-06-19, 11:32 PM
jockstick

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Bonus: which pedals do you use?
Old 01-06-19, 11:41 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
$.02 it comes down to power output. If you aren’t putting out much hp it’s kind of academic. If you are then it enables you to do so efficiently. My hp output at 64 is close to what it was when I was 14 and I’m not touring so I don’t use them. Last tour was 8yrs ago and I did. Shimano type work fine, so do others. Just make sure you have them and your knees dialed in before charging off into the great beyond.
Old 01-07-19, 12:19 AM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm one of the rare breeds that uses road pedals and shoes when road touring. I bring along an old pair of sneakers in my panniers. The nice part is if the cleat fails for any reason, the pedal itself is a better platform to use with sneakers, at least compared to SPDs.

SPDs when bikepacking. Only one pair of shoes total, one of those hybrid sneakers with SPD cleat on bottom. Bikepacking makes it harder to carry large items, like spare shoes, without racks and traditional panniers.

I'd love to see an in-between solution. Like...a thin "platform" pedal with a standardized shape (I picture something like a squared-off figure eight), and firm shoes with the exact same shape cut into the bottom of the outsole. So the pedal rests in the notch in your shoe, which means you can kinda-sorta kick forward and pull back, but can't pull upwards. Your foot also won't slide off easily.
In the end, you'd get some engagement with the pedal, with no moving parts and without having to bring an extra pair of shoes. And if you don't have your bike shoes? It's still a platform pedal.
For slightly more engagement, maybe put Velcro on the pedal and the shoe?

Last edited by BlarneyHammer; 01-07-19 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 01:44 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
If my main goal is riding I use a dual purpose pedal (clipless/platform) and a cleated shoe that also has a tread. I can walk and clip in with them.

Like this: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5028-9...lipless-Pedals https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5057-4...-Cycling-Shoes

If my goals are mixed cycling and walking/hiking I use a wide platform pedal and a leather walking shoe.

Like this: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5037-6...wn-Hill-Pedals https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-2...ht-Trail-Shoes

Either/or I like to pack minimally and only take one pair of shoes.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-07-19 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 03:26 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I have used clipless for many years, starting with Time Atac with its bronze-type shoe cleat that wore out in a time that became disconcerting. Still have the five or so Atac pedals in storage, but I now use Shimano pedals.

For touring and shopping, I use the pedals that have clipless on one side for cleats, and flat on other side as ordinary pedals... means I don't have to wear cycling shoes on bikes. The Shimano cleats are steel which makes them last much longer.

Best to wear bike shoes on tour that accommodate weather needs -- temperature, wind and rainfall. Good depth of the soles and a good size for taking cleats are important features for wear off the bike, including shopping and hiking.. The shoes I have used always let me put the cleats far enough back to make them comfortable in the soles and calves on long rides.
Old 01-07-19, 06:33 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I only ride clipless on my road bike. For touring, I use platforms. My favorite long-wearing and comfortable platform pedal is the Shimano Saint.
Old 01-07-19, 07:06 AM
tourisme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It has varied. If I'm doing a lightweight/credit card tour on a road bike, then I'll ride my usual setup with SPD SL clipless pedals. If I'm going on a longer tour on one of my heavier-duty touring bikes, carrying panniers etc, I'll generally use Shimano Saint platforms. The studs in those pedals give plenty of retention if one isn't sprinting, there are likely to be periods during the day when I'm walking around off the bike, and it reduces by one pair the number of shoes I'm hauling around.

And you're just as efficient at touring speeds with platform pedals. Being clipped in is not about maximising efficiency, it's about keeping your feet on the pedals at high power outputs.
Old 01-07-19, 07:25 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Pick the shoes you'd like to wear all day, then chose pedals accordingly. My touring style often includes more time on my feet than on my bike, so I cycle in walking shoes. The platform pedals and toe clips I wore as a teenager work fine with those. I used clipless for a decade or two, never did like the shoes, so I switched back.
Old 01-07-19, 07:41 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Yes, I use pedal and shoes.
Old 01-07-19, 07:50 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Shimano A530 pedals, Shimano XM9 SPD hiking boots. I like to do some long hikes when I'm touring, for that you need decent hiking boots, the XM9s have Vibram soles and a good solid shank and are way better for walking long distances than sneakers or whatever. I'd rate them as good backpacking boots too, better than most brands cheaper brands of walking boots (I usually use Scarpas SLs for walking) They also look pretty good for travelling in. I carry the inserts to replace the cleats for travelling or long walks. Means I only have two pairs of shoes, the XM9 and a pair of flip flops that are OK with the flats on the A530s
Old 01-07-19, 08:02 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
When I built my touring bike, I built it with platforms. My riding style involves getting on and off the bike frequently and some occasional walks along the way. Just way easier with platforms and shoes with stiff soles and a little tread for traction. I have platforms on my MTB as well. I have clipless on my road bike and may soon do away with them. After using both styles extensively, I just can't find a real advantage to clipless.

Old 01-07-19, 08:31 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
eons ago I did a small test on my commute which involved hills, and it was abundantly clear to me that climbing with clipless enabled me to climb the same hill a gear higher than without.
To this lifelong skinny legged weakling, I appreciated that.

but you gotta ride your own ride mr athleteunderarmprotection, use what you prefer.
Old 01-07-19, 08:33 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
I din't realize it had been two weeks already since we had this discussion.
Old 01-07-19, 08:59 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Yes, I use pedal and shoes.
lameass, I use two pedals myself but only bare feet.
Old 01-07-19, 09:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by jockstick
Bonus: which pedals do you use?
I would suggest mountain bike shoes and mountain bike clipless for all your riding. Road bike shoes and pedals just don't make sense for much of anything except just riding. If you want to go into a store or a museum or just walk around, road shoes are impossible to walk in for very far. They basically have no advantages over mountain bike shoes.

For pedals, Shimano M20s are hard to beat. More expensive Shimano pedals may be lighter but the M20 is cheap and durable. As a bonus, they use a regular pedal wrench which makes them easier to install and tighten properly. They are also easier to take off. Pedals that need an Allen wrench to install from the back can be difficult to remove. You are also more likely to end up busting a knuckle on a chain ring...ouch!

Finally, there are other mountain bike pedals out there from Wellgo and others. They don't function quite as well as the M20 and aren't that much less expensive. I've broken some of the off-brands. I've never had a Shimano M20 wear out or break.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-07-19, 09:41 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Both. I ride two sided pedals, and I often find myself clipped in on the left and riding flats on the right. I've done straight flats as well. No real difference IMO, at least for my purposes.

I prefer SPD so I can walk around off bike. I really like these pedals: https://www.rei.com/product/116154/s...000-spd-pedals. Got mine dirt cheap at a Garage Sale, but I'd definitely drop the full price (well maybe sale price) on another set. If you want flats, RaceFace Chesters are nice.
Old 01-07-19, 10:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I usually use clipless (SPD) on pedals that are one side SPD and one side platform. I want the platform side for when I am wearing regular shoes around the campsite and want to go to the grocery store or the pub or other short trip. I also wear regular shoes (hiking shoes) if I am on very difficult terrain and might have to get my feet on the ground very quickly. I have been on some roads where there were more cobbles than gravel, on those roads I really liked the platform side.

A few years ago I wrote up an comparison of A530 pedals and M324 pedals at this link:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...l#post18306425

There are a few other pedals that work with both kinds of shoes, but I was only familiar with the two that I compared.

A friend of mine always tours with platform and toe clips. He does not want to carry the weight of a second pair of shoes, so he uses his sneakers for everything.

Another friend of mine always used platform until he hit a speed bump in Ireland last summer, his foot slipped off the pedal and he woke up when the EMTs were prepping him for a trip to the hospital. I do not know what he will be using in the future, but it might be something different.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 01-07-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 10:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Old gear

No, I used my old steel Campag pedals & toeclips , I could then wear loose fitting shoes for better circulation & arch supportive insoles..
So, comfortable for the many hours in the saddle..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 01-07-19, 11:11 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 247 Posts

Not the welogos
Originally Posted by jockstick
Do you use clipless pedals for touring? Why or why not?
Five-Ten Freeriders. I'm also OK with other similar flat shoes. Did 5 days in a set of canvas TOMs. They are not so durable.....
Platform Pedals - right now Wellgo B17 (maybe not B17. Bxx or something).

Why - I want to only take one set of shoes and I want them to be pretty close to normal walk-able / hike-able shoes that cost less than $100. I'd rather go less than $50, but the 5-10s were $85 after getting an addidas website discount then adding in shipping.

- i went bike / camping with a friend. He had cycling shoes, sneakers, flip flops and maybe shower shoes. It was crazy. I had a set of sneaker-TOMs. Shortly after I switched to 5-10s.

Last edited by mrv; 01-07-19 at 11:17 AM. Reason: oops - those were my cheap wellgos- they got sold with a different bike. how the heck does one shrink photos from a phone?
Old 01-07-19, 12:49 PM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I began touring in toe clips, then migrated to SPD's for a number of years, then returned to toe clips. Among my reasons:
  • It was annoying to me to have to click in and click out numerous times when riding through areas with back to back stopping. With toe clips I can either slip in or just ride on the back side of the pedal.
  • The toe clips allowed riding in any make of shoe. My riding preference is a stiff soled SPD specific shoe but without installing the cleats. This gives power to the pedal when riding yet remain reasonably comfortable when walking around during the day. I carry a comfortable, lightweight pair of walking shoes for when the day's riding is over.
  • On some floors, even a recessed SPD cleat still has a tapping or grinding sound as you walk around. I like to stop at museums, et al and got tired of the sound drawing attention to me as I walked around the exhibits.
Old 01-07-19, 01:09 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
I din't realize it had been two weeks already since we had this discussion.
Yes, most of us took some time off over Christmas. Next thread: what to you use for chain lube?
Old 01-07-19, 01:33 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Yes, most of us took some time off over Christmas. Next thread: what to you use for chain lube?
Old 01-07-19, 02:08 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
A friend of mine always tours with platform and toe clips. He does not want to carry the weight of a second pair of shoes, so he uses his sneakers for everything.
Years ago when I attempted more ultra light touring, I would do the same thing but of course there are times when you just have to ride in the rain, and if your only pair of shoes gets wet, they can make your life miserable when done for the day. I use spd clipless for touring because that's how I ride my other few thousand miles a year and my knees and form are accustomed to them AND when I get into camp or hotel, it's sooo nice putting on a pair of dry warm shoes.
Old 01-07-19, 02:28 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
Years ago when I attempted more ultra light touring, I would do the same thing but of course there are times when you just have to ride in the rain, and if your only pair of shoes gets wet, they can make your life miserable when done for the day. I use spd clipless for touring because that's how I ride my other few thousand miles a year and my knees and form are accustomed to them AND when I get into camp or hotel, it's sooo nice putting on a pair of dry warm shoes.
I can't agree more. But if it is cool enough out to be using rain pants, then shoe covers can be nice, my feet did not get overly wet on the day I took this photo..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.