Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Living on a MUP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 01:00 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Living on a MUP?

Anyone here live on a MUP? How do you like the experience overall? We've been house shopping and stumbled on one that checked all of our boxes, with the addition of having a bike path run along the back of the property. At first I thought it would be an awesome bonus, but I'm curious if anyone experiences any drawbacks. The trail itself is separated by decent forest coverage for some privacy, but is there any concern about the public by your lands?
Old 04-09-19, 01:21 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
I have 2 friends that live on MUPs. In both situations, its fantastic. This is due directly to the specific MUPs they live on.
One has a fenced back yard, then a seasonal runoff stream with bridge, then the MUP. So the MUP is set back about 40' from the edge of their back fence. Its an extremely popular trail(really more of a paved trail that MUP overall) in the region and them being in town makes it very heavily traveled. Never an issue yet in the maybe 12 years they have lived there.
The other couple has 3 kids and live on a true suburban MUP that connects to more MUPs that then eventually connect to paved trails. Its basically a glorified wide sidewalk and is again- fantastic. Its their house, 5' of grass, a 10' wide MUP(or 12?...not sure), and then a 4 lane main access road. That MUP makes for easy and safe access to neighborhood friends and weekend ice cream rides, etc. Having super wide sidewalks is awesome(except in winter, but pretty much nobody is walking or riding then anyways).
Old 04-09-19, 03:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Some MUP in cities have become lined with homeless camps , because the houses
& condos, went to Air B&B and got unaffordable ..

Maybe Detroit is different,

I'm 1/2 block off a 4 lane highway & 1 more block from the River with its MUP,
shared with a Trolley that the tourists love .. tricky negotiating the tracks down the middle..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-09-19 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 03:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I rather live a block away. Depending on how busy it gets, it can get annoying. I have a friend that loves his house backs a school. But he found out that every weekend there are team sports played there so between the noise and cars parked all over the place... he rather just have quiet neighbors.
Old 04-09-19, 05:39 PM
jefnvk

Eh, not in Detroit proper, out in basically outskirts farm land, unincorporated township area. It is an abandoned railroad grade. When the last couple links of this are finished over the next few years, it should have 50 or so miles on it that I could go to the east, and ten or so to the west, and it connects to a few other trails. Haven't ridden on this part specifically, but I have ridden other large chunks of the realized route regularly.
Old 04-09-19, 05:48 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Here in a town of 300,000 people its very desirable to be close to the MUP....I am 1/4 mile off and its awesome! I would love to have it in my backyard. the housing that is close to our MUP is higher end housing and quite beautiful. We have a homeless population that does live near the MUP but its in one section by a section of RR yard area but they usually don't wonder off that area.
Old 04-09-19, 09:43 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
My local MUP runs along the arroyo, I am a few blocks away and can take residential streets to get to it. However, I usually take 300ft of main road to connect to the other side which has newer pavement. The biggest problem I could foresee from commuting on it would be:

- Rodents due to it running along an arroyo
- Homeless tend to live on or near it.
- Noise
- Less privacy, some homes only have a chain link fence and you can see their whole backyard.
Old 04-09-19, 11:00 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
In general, in rich neighborhood, living close to MUPs are nice.
In pissy neighborhood, then get away from MUPs
Old 04-10-19, 05:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
It really does depend on the area. The major trail that runs N/W from Philadelphia has spawned a couple of apartment complex developments that tout the backyard trail as an amenity. And the trail is well managed, patrolled and mostly passes through nicer areas, so you don't get many problems. In nicer areas, trails usually increase housing values. Many people objected to a new trail in the 'burbs, in part because they saw it as a way to give "thugs" access to the area. The trail was built anyway. It's now so popular with local residents, many of whom walk it with their dogs, that I won't go near the thing on a bike on nice weekends.
Old 04-10-19, 06:38 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
It depends on what you mean by "living on". We have a city green space of about 1/4 mile wide that runs along the creek behind our house. This provides a nature buffer to other neighborhoods behind us so we can't even see them. Gives the illusion of living in a less populated area.

Also, the creek physically separates the MUP that runs through the green space from our property. So never could anyone cross, it's deep and wide and rocky.

It's also far enough back from the property it isn't really a distraction.

However, we have chickens. When the greenery is gone in winter people can see and will sometimes gawk. I'm nice, but sometimes if I'm busy doing lawn work I just gawk right back like they're a zoo animal on the MUP.

I'd also check out that access isn't right at your house. Access to this MUP is about 1/4 mile up the street from us, so no person would ever want to try to cut through our yard.

That's a good consideration.

Check out your local city maps for property lines and types and for "buffer" spaces and see how they fall so you don't miss something.

We enjoy it, but we chose wisely. I couldn't imagine being one of my neighbors up the street where the creek doesn't protect them and the trail runs right through the back of their lots. Those people have put up weird little "screens" strung up between the trees to keep bike lights from commuters from shining into their house at night.
Old 04-10-19, 08:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Eh, not in Detroit proper, out in basically outskirts farm land, unincorporated township area. It is an abandoned railroad grade. When the last couple links of this are finished over the next few years, it should have 50 or so miles on it that I could go to the east, and ten or so to the west, and it connects to a few other trails. Haven't ridden on this part specifically, but I have ridden other large chunks of the realized route regularly.
that sounds pretty amazing. might be fun to go look at the house again but bring your bikes & ride the trail for an hour or so
Old 04-10-19, 08:30 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I have some friends who specifically bought their house a few houses away from one of the entrances to the River Mountain Trail in Henderson NV. They consider it a wise choice to be able to access the trail so easily.
Old 04-10-19, 09:18 AM
jefnvk

Sounds like more positives than negatives

Trail is indeed secluded from the house, even this time of year when the foliage is minimal you can't see it from the back yard. It is an acre and a half narrow lot, all wooded in the back, so not really worried about privacy. Area is generally upper middle class type township housing, somewhere I can run air impact wrenches at 10PM and no one is going to complain, the nearby towns are small and somewhat decent incomewise. No real transient population in this area.

Its currently our 1B option, 1A only winning out because it is significantly cheaper and already refinished inside (albeit with far less land in a proper subdivision), but the bike path seems to be a huge selling point to us.
Old 04-10-19, 09:27 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
that sounds pretty amazing. might be fun to go look at the house again but bring your bikes & ride the trail for an hour or so
I do ride that trail quite a bit, just not that particular section (as of now, it is a dead end spur the house is on, there is a pedestrian bridge in construction that will fix that over a major highway). I turn off a half mile or so short of that house and take another trail up to a nearby park. From that house right now, I could get to a state park and a city park, both with 10 or so miles of paved paths each plus MTB trails in the state park.
Old 04-10-19, 09:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by jefnvk
From that house right now, I could get to a state park and a city park, both with 10 or so miles of paved paths each plus MTB trails in the state park.
too bad you can't also you that trail to get to work! that would be an even dreamier dream house!
Old 04-10-19, 10:16 AM
mr_bill

Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Where I live we measure lots in square feet.

First lived in a two family with the railroad literally in the backyard. (BTW, long ago the railway was a MUP.) The last train rolled through the day we moved in. (The whole house shook, if you remember the I Love Lucy Show, that was a bit of an exaggeration. But not much.) The abandoned tracks then went dormant, but people would walk the tracks. (Not huge numbers, but there were often people walking by.) Occasionally there were "shenanigans" which in the police logs were generally reported as "Youth were reported gathering at...."

Then we moved to a two family across the street from the railroad tracks, and eventually it became the Minuteman Bikeway. We were on the trail with our infant before the trail officially opened.

Then to a house across the street from the Minuteman Bikeway. (In each case sounds like the same distance you are contemplating from your bikeway.) Child carrier, trailer-bike, two bikes, now an adult who doesn’t remember it NOT being a bikeway.

Very good friends live adjacent to the bikeway, their backward chain link fence just twenty feet from the bikeway. They have small shrubs that give *some* privacy during the summer, but this time of year the shrubs are dormant. It's a VERY busy mup, and they LOVE it so close. They also USE the Minuteman all the time, on bike or on foot.

Another friend abuts the bikeway, with a far larger back yard, but has put a gate in their back fence, and technically did some landscaping on the "wrong" side of the chain link fence, even putting out a bench for people to sit on. They "just" walk on the bikeway.

Neither of them have ever been bothered by bike headlights. (Car headlights on the other hand....)

So, yeah, living very near a MUP, even if it's in your backyard, can be quite positive.

BTW, before the Minuteman opened there was much FUD about crime, privacy, trespassing, and property values. Very quickly it was clear those were all non-issues. That success led to many more communities to say yes to MIMBY. (MUP in My Back Yard.) Most recently in Lynnfield yesterday. (Though that was a very very close vote.)

Anyhow, ask some of your possible future neighbors about their experiences with the MUP.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 04-10-19 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 10:20 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My last house was across the street and about a block from a trailhead. To me, that was better than being on it. The houses on the greenbelt cost more, but they have a parade of people looking into the backyard and either the walkers' dogs are barking at the house or the owners' dogs are barking at the walkers.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-10-19, 10:43 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Living on a MUP (potentially with the homeless), must still be somewhat safer than living on a golf course. I currently live 180-200 yards down the 1st hole fairway, with my back patio being right in the typical "slice zone". No near-misses, yet.... The silver lining is an ever replenishing supply of brand new balls (since it's the first hole, most of these lost balls have only been hit once!)
Old 04-10-19, 10:50 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Riveting
No near-misses, yet.... The silver lining is an ever replenishing supply of brand new balls (since it's the first hole, most of these lost balls have only been hit once!)
Isn't a near-miss a hit? And maybe you should think about opening a barely used golf ball store.
Old 04-10-19, 10:50 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
When we were looking for a house, we found one that was in dilapidated shape with a miserable floor plan. It was on our short list only because it was right on the MUP. We eventually bought in another neighborhood, a block and a half from the MUP.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
BTW, before the Minuteman opened there was much FUD about crime, privacy, trespassing, and property values.
My town had a published ~30y.o. MUP plan, funded in stages. Time came for more construction. One of the unbuilt sections ran between a city golf course and a neighborhood of nice 'on the golf course' homes. Those homeowners descended en mass on the city council, begging them to not build this easy path for 'those kinds of people' to access their neighborhood. They spun wild tales of bicycle-borne violent home invasions, rapes and murders.

Facepalm. This is in the 'burbs, in a town with 35+ miles of existing MUP and not a single instance in history of the horrors they were describing, no gang activity and lacking even a solitary encamped homeless person. But since nobody thought this section of path was controversial in the least, nobody had shown up to speak specifically for it.

Ten years later, that little unbuilt gap remains in the town's MUP map.
Old 04-10-19, 10:52 AM
rumrunn6

police logs should be a public record & there should be some way to investigate if there are any past incidents. maybe in the local papers. do you have a "wickedlocal" publication or website that covers the neighborhood? you can also knock on some doors & ask your potential new neighbors what they think. I know some parts of this country you can't knock on a door without getting shot, but hopefully this house isn't in that kind of area. it's funny, we do so much research about a prospective home but don't meet our neighbors until we move in. too bad there isn't an easy & friendly way to meet potential new neighbors w/o seeming to "stalk" the neighborhood
Old 04-10-19, 11:09 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tcs
One of the unbuilt sections ran between a city golf course and a neighborhood of nice 'on the golf course' homes. Those homeowners descended en mass on the city council, begging them to not build this easy path for 'those kinds of people' to access their neighborhood. They spun wild tales of bicycle-borne violent home invasions, rapes and murders.
Yeah. I noted that sort of reaction in a post above. But in the case I mentioned, the trail was built. The reality is that it's very popular with local and not so local residents and has increased home values.

The same sort of fear is often the true motivation (although not always voiced) behind opposition to mass transit proposals. There is a light rail line in Southern New Jersey that runs between Trenton and Camden. The original plan called for it running a good ways south of Camden, but several communities feared "those kind of people," so that portion was never built. From the start, ridership on the portion that was built greatly exceeded estimates. Moreover, it has made some of the dying towns along the route more attractive to potential residents. It has also spawned new small businesses. The southern communities who opposed the extension are now basically in favor of it.
Old 04-10-19, 11:25 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And maybe you should think about opening a barely used golf ball store.
No way! Now that my "ball expenses" have dropped to zero, I can afford to play more often, those things are like $2-4 a piece, and I seem to lose them faster than I find them. Now if I could only find a good supply of lost tubes.
Old 04-10-19, 11:47 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Riveting
No way! Now that my "ball expenses" have dropped to zero, I can afford to play more often, those things are like $2-4 a piece, and I seem to lose them faster than I find them. Now if I could only find a good supply of lost tubes.
I didn't realize you played yourself. And you could go tubeless.
Old 04-10-19, 12:20 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
too bad you can't also you that trail to get to work! that would be an even dreamier dream house!
I could get close enough, but I don't really feel like a century commute every day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.