Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Carbon Topstone

Old 06-20-19, 08:51 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Some initial positive impressions from Matt Gersib at Riding Gravel:

"I’ve been fortunate to have received one of the first Topstone Carbon Force eTap AXS bikes in the country for testing on Riding Gravel. Look for the introduction to that test to come very soon, but my initial rides on the bike have been very encouraging. In fact, out of the box, it’s one of the lightest, most responsive and smooth-riding bikes I’ve ridden."

https://ridinggravel.com/gravel-bikes...pstone-carbon/
Old 06-20-19, 08:52 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Tire clearance is . . . marginal for a 700c x 38mm tire (see today's press photos). Gimmicky bearings holding the seat stays to the seat tubes. ("Let's do an Isospeed knock-off that Trek won't sue us for!") And 30mm -- that's about 1.25 inches -- of "boing, boing" flex at the saddle. YIKES! I know some of you guys love a lot of flex in a gravel bike, but YIKES! That's a noodle!

Of course, if you weigh 110 pounds, the flex issue won't be as big. But if you weigh 200 pounds . . . brings to mind the silly old "Green Acres" intro where Oliver is bouncing along on his tractor! Boing! Handling on this bike will be very different depending on the weight of the rider.
Old 06-20-19, 08:53 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by shoota
Yep, the Agave would be my choice too.
At first it looked bluish gray on my phone, but in other photos it looks like a sandy light grey. I guess I'll have to wait to see one in person.
Old 06-20-19, 08:54 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
You don't think the Trek Checkpoint, Giant Revolt, Cannondale Topstone, or Specialized Diverge are effective as "quiver killers"?

I do know of several people using Checkpoints and Revolts as road bikes. I could see some roadies turned off by the squishier Specialized future shock, but the Topstone is based on the geometry of the Synapse endurance road bike.

I am with you in wanting to see road bikes with wider tire clearance. It is very limiting to only be able to clear 32c tires.
My Revolt is fantastic as a road bike, with a second wheelset, I'm not really riding my Fuji anymore. lol The D-Fuse seatpost does take a little getting used to on the road, you can def feel it flexing. But it's really comfortable over rough roads, and I have no problems on fast group rides.

But I agree that Giant would never market it that way, they want you to buy a road bike too.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 06-20-19, 08:55 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
At first it looked bluish gray on my phone, but in other photos it looks like a sandy light grey. I guess I'll have to wait to see one in person.
Looks more light green to me lol
Old 06-20-19, 08:56 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Tire clearance is . . . marginal for a 700c x 38mm tire (see today's press photos). Gimmicky bearings holding the seat stays to the seat tubes. ("Let's do an Isospeed knock-off that Trek won't sue us for!") And 30mm -- that's about 1.25 inches -- of "boing, boing" flex at the saddle. YIKES! I know some of you guys love a lot of flex in a gravel bike, but YIKES! That's a noodle!

Of course, if you weigh 110 pounds, the flex issue won't be as big. But if you weigh 200 pounds . . . brings to mind the silly old "Green Acres" intro where Oliver is bouncing along on his tractor! Boing!
Check out the video on the Cannondale site. Looks like lots of movement! Way more than IsoSpeed, which you hated.

I wish they had just made a Synapse-like frame with more tire clearance.
Old 06-20-19, 09:17 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Looks more light green to me lol
Probably is! I am bad with hues.
Old 06-20-19, 09:26 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Check out the video on the Cannondale site. Looks like lots of movement! Way more than IsoSpeed, which you hated.

I wish they had just made a Synapse-like frame with more tire clearance.
Super-thin seat tube flex zone at the bottom end -- just like Trek Isospeed. Bearings freeing up the seat tube junction (this time with the seat stays) -- just like the Trek Isospeed. Very well designed to permit maximum flex in the rear triangle.

They are clearly marketing the "BOING!" as a selling point. That helps people like me, who think the rear triangle needs to be stiff to be efficient, stay away from bikes we wouldn't like anyway. (I always rode a hardtail mountain bike, too.) And it helps those who are looking for flex find their perfect bike.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 06-20-19 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 09:40 AM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Am I the only older rider who's a bit out of shape that would like to see a flat bar option on gravel bikes? Seems to me that the shorter reach that the flat bar provides makes the bike much more comfortable to ride over longer periods of time... albeit at the cost of being less aerodynamic.

Also kind of struggling to understand the difference between the Ultegra RX2 and Ultegra versions.

Overall I like the bike though and will pop into the Cannondale LBS to see when they think they might have one on the floor so I can give it a spin in the parking lot.
Old 06-20-19, 10:26 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
They kicked the BB to 11 with proprietary crap. BB30-83 Ai.

So BB30 shell with downhill width and offset spacing.
Old 06-20-19, 11:04 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Originally Posted by ronin4740
Am I the only older rider who's a bit out of shape that would like to see a flat bar option on gravel bikes? Seems to me that the shorter reach that the flat bar provides makes the bike much more comfortable to ride over longer periods of time... albeit at the cost of being less aerodynamic.
Isn't that basically a 1990's mountain bike?
Old 06-20-19, 11:11 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464

Now sure I see the problem. Maximize bearing spacing without affecting q factor substantially. Hollowgram cranks are already some of the best out there
Old 06-20-19, 12:08 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Isn't that basically a 1990's mountain bike?
Yes... I've been regretting selling the 90's Specialized Rock Hopper I used to own for a long, long time
Old 06-20-19, 12:51 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

SOMEBODY get the word to Cannondale . . . people HATE press fit bottom brackets. But they HATE, HATE, HATE non-standard proprietary press fit bottom brackets that limit crankset options!! Gravel bikers, more than roadies, are people who like to try different cranks and gearing. I know gravel racers who ride a different crankset based on the course they're racing on in a given week. If they accidentally buy this bike, with its "we want to force you to buy our crankset" bottom bracket, they are sunk.

And the "integrated" seatpost clamp? Is there any manufacturer that makes one of these that's trouble free? Nobody. A huge proportion of them slip and/or require frequent re-torquing. Why invite that? Traditional seatpost clamps aren't less aero (in spite of appearances) and they WORK. Every time. All the time.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 06-20-19 at 12:54 PM.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 06-20-19, 01:16 PM
shoota 

Traditional seatpost clamps aren't less aero (in spite of appearances) and they WORK. Every time. All the time.
I wish someone would tell that to my wife's Jamis Renegade.

Re: BB - Cannondale got it right with the alloy Topstone so this BB30 BS just ticks me off. Totally with you on this. I wonder if there is a screw together adapter for Shimano cranks that fits this offset bb standard?

Last edited by shoota; 06-20-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 08:15 PM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The more I think about this bike the more I am convinced that this should be called a slate 2 rather than gravel topstone. It has road (synapse) geometry with very short chainstays and high bottom bracket (just like Slate). The only significant difference is that Slate has front suspension and this bike has rear suspension. Now its time for cannondale to finally merge both solutions and make a bike that will have a full suspension (a better version of niner magic carpet ride).
Old 06-20-19, 10:43 PM
gus6464

Makes no sense why this didn't come with a spec with the Lefty Oliver.
Old 06-21-19, 12:36 AM
sweetspot

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Makes no sense why this didn't come with a spec with the Lefty Oliver.
The only explanatoion I can think of is cost. But again if they sell models with carbon SAVE stem and handlebar for over 5k then it should be doable to offer a Lefty in that price range. Maybe they did not do that to avoid chsnging the frame geometry (models with rigid fork would be hampered by having a suspension fork geometry without actually having that kind of fork). On the other hand making 2 variants of frame could not be cost effective...

Last edited by sweetspot; 06-21-19 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-21-19, 04:11 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
OMG.....30mm of suspension
Time to buy an MTB
Old 06-21-19, 04:57 AM
gus6464

Originally Posted by sweetspot
The only explanatoion I can think of is cost. But again if they sell models with carbon SAVE stem and handlebar for over 5k then it should be doable to offer a Lefty in that price range. Maybe they did not do that to avoid chsnging the frame geometry (models with rigid fork would be hampered by having a suspension fork geometry without actually having that kind of fork). On the other hand making 2 variants of frame could not be cost effective...
The slate came with a rigid fork spec too one year. But it probably has to do with the oliver being designed for 650b wheel only.
Old 06-21-19, 12:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
OMG.....30mm of suspension
Time to buy an MTB
A thread about blurred category bikes or current ways for brands to design comfort into frames = an opportunity for angel to beat the horse and declare an MTB is needed.
Old 06-22-19, 06:40 PM
BluFalconActual

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
You don't think the Trek Checkpoint, Giant Revolt, Cannondale Topstone, or Specialized Diverge are effective as "quiver killers"?

I do know of several people using Checkpoints and Revolts as road bikes. I could see some roadies turned off by the squishier Specialized future shock (Roubaix is stiffer), but the Topstone is based on the geometry of the Synapse endurance road bike.

I am with you in wanting to see road bikes with wider tire clearance. It is very limiting to only be able to clear 32c tires.
I’m a roadie at heart and just picked up a 2020 Revolt and after 3 days of ownership/riding, I can totally see it being a quiver killer. If I were to slap on a set of skinnier GP5000 tires, I can guarantee it would almost be as fast as my “go fast” bike. One of the selling points for me with the Revolt was it’s lack of suspension/weird handlebars/gimmicks.
Likes For BluFalconActual:
Old 06-23-19, 07:29 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

SOMEBODY get the word to Cannondale . . . people HATE press fit bottom brackets. But they HATE, HATE, HATE non-standard proprietary press fit bottom brackets that limit crankset options!! Gravel bikers, more than roadies, are people who like to try different cranks and gearing. I know gravel racers who ride a different crankset based on the course they're racing on in a given week. If they accidentally buy this bike, with its "we want to force you to buy our crankset" bottom bracket, they are sunk.
Worse yet... this custom offset bottom bracket requires a CUSTOM DISHED REAR WHEEL, per a few articles I’ve read out there. So you can’t easily upgrade or replace your wheels without getting the rear one re-dished.

That is so ridiculous. Total deal breaker.

Last edited by HarborBandS; 06-23-19 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 07:17 AM
shoota 

Worse yet... this custom offset bottom bracket requires a CUSTOM DISHED REAR WHEEL, per a few articles I’ve read out there. So you can’t easily upgrade or replace your wheels without getting the rear one re-dished.

That is so ridiculous. Total deal breaker.
For me, if it were just ONE of any of things I could probably get past it. Re-dishing the rear wheel isn't that big of a deal from what I hear. But all the proprietary stuff adds up and I can't handle it.
Old 06-24-19, 07:22 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

For me, if it were just ONE of any of things I could probably get past it. Re-dishing the rear wheel isn't that big of a deal from what I hear. But all the proprietary stuff adds up and I can't handle it.
I like to upgrade and tweak my bikes over time, and do all of my own work. Anything on a bike model that I would need the assistance of a shop for is a nonstarter for me.
Likes For HarborBandS:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.