Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

scooter speed limit on part of the Beltline

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 08:22 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts

https://atlantaintownpaper.com/2019/...ing-on-trails/

Atlanta's Eastside Beltline is suffering from it's own success. I am not sure that the designer envisioned just how popular this (section) would be, nor the release of these powered scooters. I find it really a shame that we have to pass a regulation in order for users to treat each other with respect and safety. I used to ride here a lot. It has gotten to where after work hours and weekends on any decent weather day it is nothing more than a hazard to be there. Something had to give.
Old 06-22-19, 09:09 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Using geofencing technology, e-scooters will be limited to 8 miles per hour in the reduced speed zone between Monroe Drive and DeKalb Avenue during congested periods.
I'm actually surprised this hasn't been done with share fleets more already - for those trying to use the route for transport it definitely beats an outright ban or a dismount zone.

The hours-of-effect is an interesting twist, too. I'm not sure I think the numbers are right, but the possibility is really interesting.
Old 06-22-19, 09:32 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
My City enacted an ordinance for bike- and scooter-shares that prohibits operation of E-assist vehicles on greenways (also sidewalks). Perhaps they anticipated safety issues; however it may have been to restrict the staging of the things along the trails. The scooters were just distributed last week, and though I have not yet seen one being ridden, I have heard reports of people zipping down the sidewalks on them. It will be interesting to see what enforcement actions will happen.
Old 06-23-19, 09:22 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
There have been a series of well publicized and 'off the book' incidents here regarding them. One of the services offering them is actually supposedly banned from the Beltline (Bird) but I am supposing there is more to it than them saying so, as in court proceeding.

What I find particularly interesting about the speed limit times is that it falls within an area of time that the Beltline isn't even supposed to be in use. It "closes" like a park, etc. late and at those times is very lightly travelled by anyone.
Old 06-23-19, 06:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
The city pretty much always wins these battles because they just start confiscating noncompliant scooters. The companies have to make their scooters conspicuously available in order to compete,but that makes confiscation incredibly easy.