Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Brought the Marlin 5 home but may have messed up.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 07-25-19, 07:02 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts

I just rode the Marlin at home after a 2.5 hour drive each way to buy it. I saw real quick that the rear rim is warped and the front brake isn't as good as I thought it was when I rode it. All I can say is don't go buy something when you are distracted. I got real bad news on the way there when I was just a few minuets from getting to where the bike was. I gave $200 for the 2017 Marlin 5 29" wheels and cable disc brakes,that looks show room new and shifts great with a few little rubber whiskers still on the tires. Just the brake and rim trouble.

Can you guys tell me where is the best place to get the parts and about what it will cost? I assume I can learn what to do to fix it on Youtube. I'm on a tight budget and don't mind used parts if that's the best way. Can it possibly be straightened? It rides better than my old bike even with the warped rear rim.
Old 07-25-19, 07:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Any competent bike shop should be able to true the wheel and adjust the brake. Adjusting a cable-actuated disc caliper takes a couple of allen wrenches and a few minutes. Truing a wheel is still something that eludes me-- I do all of my own maintenance and upgrades, except for that. Every time I touch a spoke wrench, I just make things worse.
Old 07-25-19, 07:37 PM
RH Clark

I will look at it as a learning experience but I would like to try fixing it myself, I'm usually pretty competent with detailed stuff. My mind was just too distracted when I picked up the bike. I got news of the death of a young family member in a car wreck when I was just a few minuets from getting to the bike.

If you have a favorite youtube video of how to true the rim I would love a link. Otherwise I'll start searching as soon as I can.

Will it hurt anything to ride it as it is? I can easily tell it just lifting and spinning it. I must have been in a daze when I test rode it. I rode it all over a couple hills this afternoon and it does 10 times better than my old bike even with the warped rim.
Old 07-25-19, 09:22 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Truing a wheel is not difficult, it just takes some patience. The sky isn't falling on your purchase and you should be able to easily get both issues solved.

Most youtube videos will explain the same thing. It is a little more complicated with disc brakes, since you have to make a reference point, but zip ties are good for that.
Old 07-26-19, 06:19 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
First, I'm really sorry at that news about your family member. That is news that no one wants to ever hear. My heart goes out.

On the warped wheel, you can buy a spoke wrench at pretty much any place that sells bike parts. There are different size spoke wrenches. You might be best off taking the wheel to a shop to at least have them verify what size wrench you need.

What exactly are you noticing about the front brake?
Old 07-26-19, 06:49 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Condolences to your family on your loss

As for smaller things in life. The beauty of disc brakes is that an out of true wheel doesn't typically effect braking. Are you sure the wheels are attached to the fork or rear drop outs properly?
Old 07-26-19, 06:51 AM
qclabrat

Also attach pictures if you are unsure, sometimes there are things we can pickup on which may not have been obvious to mention.
Old 07-27-19, 07:00 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Click here for Park Tool repair site. This a wealth of info including videos and tools needed.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 07-27-19, 06:37 PM
RH Clark

Sorry guys,I didn't mean to dump all that on ya'll. I was in an emotional state when I posted and the little warped wheel doesn't seem nearly as bad today as it did then. Thanks a bunch, I 'll get it worked out.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 07-29-19, 09:07 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Sorry guys,I didn't mean to dump all that on ya'll. I was in an emotional state when I posted and the little warped wheel doesn't seem nearly as bad today as it did then. Thanks a bunch, I 'll get it worked out.
NP, all good,
post pictures when you get out, riding is therapy for me, hopefully you can also have some solace while pedaling around.
Old 07-29-19, 10:19 AM
kq2dc7

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I trued my wheel by using the rotor and caliper.

On a stand I spun the wheel and the rotor stopped the wheel were it was out of true. Using a small crescent wrench I tightened the spoke that would pull that section the direction needed. Mark the spoke and do small adjustment until it passes thru without rubbing.
Old 07-29-19, 06:42 PM
RH Clark

I did around 7 miles of windy trails around the forest hills this evening with my 10 year old son. Didn't notice the warped wheel off the pavement. We both had a blast. He was slap wore out and I was about 75% slap wore out after about 3 hours on rocky rutted horse trails. I think we are hooked. Working on getting a camera to take along and share some with you guys.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 07-30-19, 10:14 AM
qclabrat

kids on bikes always puts a smile on my face
Old 07-30-19, 03:33 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
are you sure its the wheel that is warped sometimes a poorly seated tire can look like wheel is warped. you can use a zip tie on the frame cut the end off where it touches the rim spin the wheel see if its the wheel. if it looks straight enough its the tire not seating on the bead and wont cause much trouble. a bent rim isn't the worst thing in the world either unless its a taco shape. you can even ride the bike with a couple of broken spokes. if you discover the rim is bent its a matter of seeing what direction its bent using the spoke on the opposite side to pull by tightening the spoke and loosing the spoke on the side its bent towards to let it relax away from bend. it takes practice to get right. I recommend watching RJ the bike guy on youtube and a few others around to get the idea. I straightened my road bike rim by watching those guys. cable disk brakes are simple to adjust as well. I work on my own bike because I like to tinker, as new things come up its something new I get to learn.