Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

'Vintage' Profile bars - brakes won't fit

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 08-19-19, 03:18 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts

Hi - I have an old set of Profile aerobars, and I'm setting them up on a road frame (old Specialized Allez a couple cm smaller than I'd ride road) with the intent to try a triathlon. I had the bars and some TT style brake levers around from a random parts buy (I think the bars came with some 1056 downtube shifters and 1055 brake levers, not sure where the brake levers came from)

It appears that the profile base bar starts its curve too close to the end of the bar for the bar-end style brake lever to be inserted. Should I try to mount some road levers to them, or is there some sort of trick I'm missing?

Thanks!
Old 08-20-19, 08:10 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
Hi - I have an old set of Profile aerobars, and I'm setting them up on a road frame (old Specialized Allez a couple cm smaller than I'd ride road) with the intent to try a triathlon. I had the bars and some TT style brake levers around from a random parts buy (I think the bars came with some 1056 downtube shifters and 1055 brake levers, not sure where the brake levers came from)

It appears that the profile base bar starts its curve too close to the end of the bar for the bar-end style brake lever to be inserted. Should I try to mount some road levers to them, or is there some sort of trick I'm missing?

Thanks!
If I'm reading you right...those brakes are meant to be inserted/mounted in the end of bullhorn handlebars...not into the end of clip-on aero bars. Such as in this picture. If you used bar-end shifters...they would be interested/mounted on the end of the aero bars. (note: This pic is not my bike...just a pic I found on the internet. Too many brake handles in close proximity IMO.) -- Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 08-21-19 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-21-19, 08:49 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
In addition to my above post, I also just want to add that mounting those bar-end brakes on the end of aero bars would be a safety hazard I think. I don't believe their mounting clamps, and the tubing of the bars themselves, is sturdy enough to support the rider should they happen to be used in a hard-braking situation. It seems to me that the combination of the momentum, weight, and leverage of the rider could cause the bars to fail/collapse.

Dan
Old 08-21-19, 02:22 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
You're right, but not my issue. I'm trying to mount them on the bullhorn base bar - these old aerobars have a loop at the top and a mount for downtube shifters.

A picture is worth a thousand words on this one, I think. I'll take some tonight.

Thanks!