Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Masi GC in pretty rough shape -- value?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 08-21-19, 06:39 PM
Contigo

Bikes: 1987 Waterford Paramount; 1986 Pinarello Montello; 2003 Lyonsport; 1986 Bridgestone Mile 112; 1981 Univega Viva Sport; 1984 Raleigh Gran Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This one is my size, but it certainly has its flaws. My main concern is the risk of a rusty BB. I asked the seller if he'd remove the bottom bracket and send photos, but got a non-responsive answer ("it spins fine").

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Masi-Gran-C...IAAOSwvNddV1ct

Seller isn't exactly forthcoming with information. Rust in the BB cable pathways could be from old galvanized cables? Considering the cost of a repaint, and dealing with the chrome, I think this might be a money pit at nearly any price.

Any thoughts on the rust risk?
Old 08-21-19, 07:37 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,126 Times in 426 Posts
That chainstay scares me more than the bottom bracket. I wouldn't touch it without seeing it in person.
Old 08-21-19, 07:49 PM
tmh657

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
That chainstay scares me more than the bottom bracket. I wouldn't touch it without seeing it in person.
^This. If the seller can't answer questions to your satisfaction just let it go. Not worth the hassle.
Old 08-21-19, 09:51 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
I think the bottom bracket will remove.
this is of the era middle later 80's - past the days of the cut outs.
The chainstay is hiding a lot of rust I think under the paint. These had clearcoat on the chrome, if one is lucky, removal of the clear will allow a nice result on the fork crown.
The price it is now is reasonable.
bigger frame, bigger box, might be a surprise $ wise to ship.
Especially if the seller does not remove the fork.
I would be more worried about poor packing and shipping damage than from anything I can see.
Old 08-22-19, 07:07 AM
Contigo

Bikes: 1987 Waterford Paramount; 1986 Pinarello Montello; 2003 Lyonsport; 1986 Bridgestone Mile 112; 1981 Univega Viva Sport; 1984 Raleigh Gran Tour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's an area of apparent rust just below the fork crown (left blade insert point) in photo 10. That's worrisome.

With the rust you can see, and the hints of rust you cannot, it seems prudent to expect the BB to be worse, not better, than imagined.

Oh well, I'm not sure this could improve on my Paramount anyway.
Old 08-22-19, 08:32 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,351 Times in 7,190 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
Originally Posted by Contigo
There's an area of apparent rust just below the fork crown (left blade insert point) in photo 10. That's worrisome.

With the rust you can see, and the hints of rust you cannot, it seems prudent to expect the BB to be worse, not better, than imagined.

Oh well, I'm not sure this could improve on my Paramount anyway.
...for future reference only: I've restored some really rusted frames out of a quixotic sense of adventure. Most of them turned out nice, and in particular I can remember how thoroughly packed with sand, grit, and the products of oxidation, was the BB shell of a Ron Cooper. That is now (repainted and rebadged) one of my favorite bicycles to ride.

BB shells and fork crowns have a lot of thickness to them, so once you remove and neutralize the rust, apart from any chrome never being shiny again, there's little problem in terms of frame function. The chainstay on this bike, as already pointed out, is much more problematic. If it has spent its life full of crap and rust, that's exactly where it would rust through (next to the insertion into the BB shell). That's an impossible fix without removal and re-brazing a new stay in there, which makes it a very expensive repair.

Anyway, you're already decided against it. Just meandering a bit.
Old 08-22-19, 07:44 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...for future reference only: I've restored some really rusted frames out of a quixotic sense of adventure. Most of them turned out nice, and in particular I can remember how thoroughly packed with sand, grit, and the products of oxidation, was the BB shell of a Ron Cooper. That is now (repainted and rebadged) one of my favorite bicycles to ride.

BB shells and fork crowns have a lot of thickness to them, so once you remove and neutralize the rust, apart from any chrome never being shiny again, there's little problem in terms of frame function. The chainstay on this bike, as already pointed out, is much more problematic. If it has spent its life full of crap and rust, that's exactly where it would rust through (next to the insertion into the BB shell). That's an impossible fix without removal and re-brazing a new stay in there, which makes it a very expensive repair.

Anyway, you're already decided against it. Just meandering a bit.
My experiences jibe with this... Note: Seller says spindle spins smoothly. that's somewhat unlikely if rust laden. My guess is rust is on the outside, more than on the inside.
Old 08-25-19, 02:52 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3463 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,994 Posts
The market said $338. at that point in time plus shipping perhaps.