Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does anyone collect Cyclocross bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does anyone collect Cyclocross bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-24, 12:38 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I've had a few vintage cx bikes over the years, and in all of those cases, at least, the BB height was crazy high, far out of the range I find comfortable.
Part of the attraction for me is the higher BB. I prefer feeling a little higher as well as the additional pedal strike clearance. My favorite bikes have 60-65mm drop on 38/42mm tires. Relatively high today.

In the C&V sense, almost every bike brand I've looked at had their CX bike with a higher BB than their road and touring models. There might not be a consensus on CX geometry in totality, but BB height relatively higher is a good general guideline. With 770cx33 BB drop of 70mm would put the height at 274, fairly low for a C&V CX bike in my view.

The triple review here seems to indicate common design style for each style - CX, Criterium, and Road Race: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-special.html

Or, to phrase it another way - what are some brands and bikes to look for that have 270ish BB height designed for CX?
Old 04-09-24, 12:43 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 2,027 Times in 1,117 Posts
High BB on that Merckx. When my kids raced with me, I got my son a Poprad and for my shorter daughter a “smaller” Ridley. The BB was so high on that Ridley and with the level TT, the stand over height was to be ignored.
Old 04-09-24, 12:46 PM
Spoonrobot 

Originally Posted by styggno1
I do not have a CX collection but I am happy to have one in the "collection".

Amature World Champion and then turned pro, John Talen, had this bike made for him at Merckx.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0bff1168_h.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0dfa946a_h.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...d5ce4008_h.jpg
Wow what a beauty. Just like the Pinarello posted earlier - you gotta get that built up and riding!
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 04-09-24, 01:11 PM
Classtime 

2018 Colnago CX had 68mm BBdrop.
Old 04-09-24, 01:17 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
What do you do with a vintage CX bike?
Old 04-09-24, 01:19 PM
Spoonrobot 

Originally Posted by Classtime
2018 Colnago CX had 68mm BBdrop.
No doubt BB height has gotten lower in the modern era but it isn't applicable here. I started in the C&V because those are the types of CX bikes where my interest lies. Obviously, road height BB was not much (if any) impediment to the enjoyment of cyclocross, it doesn't seem common once the niche became more developed in the late 70s/80s.
Old 04-09-24, 01:21 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,299 Times in 867 Posts
The high bottom bracket was not universal on CX bikes, was apparently there to provide for pedaling briefly with the clips pointing down, not for log-hopping.

Newer designs of course make no concessions for toe clips.

I've mostly used touring bikes for CX training mileage, done on-road and off.

Certain sport-touring bikes like the Super Course and Grand Sports bikes from Raleigh have (in my preferred 23-inch size at least) 71/73-degree geometry that is what most CX bikes and 1990's MTB's have.

I came across a pro's former bike for sale that was hard-ridden and being sold with two badly damaged rims. It turned out to be a great bike for all-around riding, at least where I don't have to leave it unattended as it's a top-end (Hi-Mod) model of Cannondale's Super-X.

Running super-light 33mm tubess semi-slick Mavic "AllRoad" tires makes it quite good for even on-road group rides. Geometry is perhaps a tad steeper than my quoted 71/73 degrees, and it's well under 18lbs due to it's super-light frame and rim brake configuration.

With the new wheels and tires I'm into this thing for only a grand:

This Fuji CX bike turned up on Craigslist having a defective, separating crankset, which I had used parts on hand to fix.

It had been on someone's trainer for most of it's life and was had for just $160 from the son of the original owner.
Geometry is slower (slacker HT), with it's generous steering flop helping me hold a line through hairpin turns on dirt trails.

The rear brake bosses were welded on in very poor alignment, such that I eventually had to replace the brake with a different brand in order to get the pads to hit the rim properly.

Likes For dddd:
Old 04-09-24, 01:31 PM
Spoonrobot 

Originally Posted by kroozer
What do you do with a vintage CX bike?
Ride it around, appreciate the vintage-ness. I do most of my gravel racing/riding on modern disc brake bikes but occasionally there's a course when my vintage CX bike is a good choice and it's such an interesting and different experience I get a lot out of it that the disc bikes don't give me. I suppose I could eventually race some CX too.

My path into vintage CX started with converting a 1990/91 flat-bar Schwinn Crosscut into a dropbar bike and I liked it so much that I bought a new rim brake Panasonic CX bike and that made me really want to go back and see what the actual CX bikes from the C&V era were like.

Originally Posted by dddd
The high bottom bracket was not universal on CX bikes, was apparently there to provide for pedaling briefly with the clips pointing down, not for log-hopping.

Newer designs of course make no concessions for toe clips.

I've mostly used touring bikes for CX training mileage, done on-road and off.

Certain sport-touring bikes like the Super Course and Grand Sports bikes from Raleigh have (in my preferred 23-inch size at least) 71/73-degree geometry that is what most CX bikes and 1990's MTB's have.

I came across a pro's former bike for sale that was hard-ridden and being sold with two badly damaged rims. It turned out to be a great bike for all-around riding, at least where I don't have to leave it unattended as it's a top-end (Hi-Mod) model of Cannondale's Super-X.

Running super-light 33mm tubess semi-slick Mavic "AllRoad" tires makes it quite good for even on-road group rides. Geometry is perhaps a tad steeper than my quoted 71/73 degrees, and it's well under 18lbs due to it's super-light frame and rim brake configuration.

With the new wheels and tires I'm into this thing for only a grand:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7cc8a86f44.jpg

This Fuji CX bike turned up on Craigslist having a defective, separating crankset, which I had used parts on hand to fix.

It had been on someone's trainer for most of it's life and was had for just $160 from the son of the original owner.
Geometry is slower (slacker HT), with it's generous steering flop helping me hold a line through hairpin turns on dirt trails.

The rear brake bosses were welded on in very poor alignment, such that I eventually had to replace the brake with a different brand in order to get the pads to hit the rim properly.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5c7f071613.jpg
Sure, point taken. Happy accident for me, as I like it for the log hopping aspect as well. There's a thing about the handling that gives me comfort, feeling relatively higher above the ground or something, even if it's only 10-15-20mm.

Nice bikes, Fuji made some interesting cross bikes in the 2000s and early 2010s but they didn't sell well for whatever reason.
Old 04-09-24, 01:39 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3234 Post(s)
Liked 3,882 Times in 1,442 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
We do have a World Champion CXer on Bike Forums. Perhaps we can get him to comment. @Andy_K, what say ye on the subject?
I think you mean World Lanterne Rouge.

The problem with vintage CX bikes, once they stop just being road bikes, is this:

https://teamawesomecycling.bigcartel...top-won-t-stop

Except for that, they are fantastic bikes. I really want an old Ibis, if nothing else, for the rear brake hanger, which I couldn't search for by its proper name because I'm at work.

I've got a couple of CX bikes in my garage, but the oldest of them is from 2013 for the reason shown on the T-shirt above.
Old 04-09-24, 02:59 PM
Classtime 

Most 70s CX bikes are “mistaken” for road bikes. https://pezcyclingnews.com/interview...clocross-king/
Old 04-09-24, 03:52 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5891 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I've had a few vintage cx bikes over the years, and in all of those cases, at least, the BB height was crazy high, far out of the range I find comfortable.
That's why I picked up a CX frame that is on the smaller end of the range of sizes I like. That won't fix the high BB but it will allow me to straddle the bike comfortably. The rest is just a learning experience (I hope). I do have the parts stashed for the bike other than wheels (unless I go tubular and maybe I should).
Old 04-10-24, 07:38 AM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 141 Posts
I have owned this '95 Bianchi Cross Project USA since new. It was sold as a frameset and for two years only. It's fully lugged Zero Uno tubing and Reparto Corse built. It does have the old school Euro high BB and it feels a bit strange when I first get on it, but it doesn't take long for that feeling to go away. The only real downside is that the chainstays max out at around a 35mm tire, though I don't really need anything larger.

Likes For Choke:
Old 04-10-24, 08:08 AM
Spoonrobot 

Originally Posted by Choke
I have owned this '95 Bianchi Cross Project USA since new. It was sold as a frameset and for two years only. It's fully lugged Zero Uno tubing and Reparto Corse built. It does have the old school Euro high BB and it feels a bit strange when I first get on it, but it doesn't take long for that feeling to go away. The only real downside is that the chainstays max out at around a 35mm tire, though I don't really need anything larger.

https://ciocctoo.com/forums/var/album...G?m=1633194020

https://ciocctoo.com/forums/var/album...G?m=1633194019
That's a solid, tasteful build. Bianchi has so many good cx bikes from the mid-1980s-early 2000s

Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 04-10-24, 12:41 PM
Classtime 

There was one of those very rare Bianchis available nearby and I got excited — but a little research determined it was the largest they made and too big for me to throw around a CX course🙁.

edit: And here for a good price and local and TOOOO LARGE
https://www.ebay.com/itm/126274843464

Last edited by Classtime; 04-10-24 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-10-24, 01:25 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Choke
...The only real downside is that the chainstays max out at around a 35mm tire, though I don't really need anything larger.
The funny thing is, the seat stays are s-shaped curved for tire clearance and look like they can take 50mm tires easy!
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 04-10-24, 01:41 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 882 Times in 423 Posts
This is a bike I use for gravel and mixed stuff. The frameset came from another BF member via the classifieds. It would have been sold in the late 00's by BikesDirect as the CX853. A bit too young for C&V, the frame is 853, the fork is carbon.
I am running 35mm tires, but could go a bit larger although I never measured.

Likes For daverup:
Old 04-10-24, 01:56 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 52 Posts
I need it when my son and I go riding together. He has a Gary Fisher hybrid and tends to cross medians and grassy knolls.
'93 Waterford X-12 753.

Likes For dmarkun:
Old 04-10-24, 07:30 PM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 938 Times in 176 Posts
c1999 Voodoo Wazo CX

I looked for a vintage CX bike or frame for some time without success in finding something in my size for what I considered reasonable money. I wound up going with this Voodoo Wazo I bought as a frame set. I think it weighs in around 22 pounds and I use it as a gravel bike. I'm using 35mm tires. Not sure larger would fit.

Likes For Andy Antipas:
Old 04-10-24, 08:45 PM
cheffyjay

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Derosa, Ron Cooper, Davidson, Miyata 912, Le Jeune, Klein Rascals, AMP Research B3, B4, B5, PX10,Holdsworth, Schwinn Paramount, Frejus, Erickson, Simoncini SLX, Cecil Walker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 52 Posts
I've seen almost no pre-1990s cyclocross bicycles for sale over the years. What I've owned were not exactly classic, but fairly vintage:
the Pinarello--I sold this but it was lost in shipping somewhere in Arizona

Currently own this Bianchi:

Likes For cheffyjay:
Old 04-11-24, 01:52 AM
tdh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I think one reason why you don't see many threads on vintage cross bikes is because they're really hard to find. I'm sitting on a Pinarello cross frame I need to build up. This is how the bike came to me in the "wild." Maybe this thread will get me motivated!

I’ve got that same frame a few years back; the one with the cable guides on the lugs…currently rebuilding it. But since mine was already repainted I didn’t care about period correct parts…just built it up as a 1x. Tried mini v brakes. Didn’t work because the distance of the cantilever bosses is only 65, 55mm respectively with these old frames. I kinda collect cyclocross bikes. I say kinda because, as mentioned here already, they’re incredibly rare. Have the pinarello and two gazelles. Looking for an Empella for a while now. So far no luck. I buy mostly in Europe, though. I have folks there which I have the stuff send to before I pick it at my yearly visit…outside of Europe it is even more difficult I’d say. Also: a lot of these frames are fairly banged up and have issues. One of the rear canti bosses of my pinarello came off - rust. One more question: that pinarello can you still decipher the Columbus sticker? What tubing was used? Mine has a 27.0 inner diameter seat tube, does yours too? Sorry for being slightly off topic…
Likes For tdh:
Old 04-11-24, 07:21 AM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The funny thing is, the seat stays are s-shaped curved for tire clearance and look like they can take 50mm tires easy!
Yep, and the fork will take larger tire too, though not a 50mm. On the other hand, it was made for CX and since the UCI limits tires to 33mm it makes sense that they didn't go to the trouble to shape the chainstays.
Old 04-11-24, 09:15 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5891 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
Originally Posted by tdh
I’ve got that same frame a few years back; the one with the cable guides on the lugs…currently rebuilding it. But since mine was already repainted I didn’t care about period correct parts…just built it up as a 1x. Tried mini v brakes. Didn’t work because the distance of the cantilever bosses is only 65, 55mm respectively with these old frames. I kinda collect cyclocross bikes. I say kinda because, as mentioned here already, they’re incredibly rare. Have the pinarello and two gazelles. Looking for an Empella for a while now. So far no luck. I buy mostly in Europe, though. I have folks there which I have the stuff send to before I pick it at my yearly visit…outside of Europe it is even more difficult I’d say. Also: a lot of these frames are fairly banged up and have issues. One of the rear canti bosses of my pinarello came off - rust. One more question: that pinarello can you still decipher the Columbus sticker? What tubing was used? Mine has a 27.0 inner diameter seat tube, does yours too? Sorry for being slightly off topic…
The sticker is beat up but it's Tretubi Columbus (SL or SP) with likely Aelle fork and stays. The seatpost was out of round and I had it reamed to 27.2 (also had to have the BB threads chased).

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-question.html