Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

best method and product for clean/lube road bike chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

best method and product for clean/lube road bike chain

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 09:40 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,586 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by svidrod
safer, certainly. but are they as effective? that is the real question.
Safety and effectiveness are relative terms, and you can add cost to the mix, but there are safer solvents that are just about as effective. Balancing the risks and benefits is something we could debate until the cows come home, but why bother. There's no one right answer. Everyone has to find his own balance appropriate to his needs and situation, and be mindful of properly managing whatever risks are involved. For instance neither gasoline nor many of the "safer" solvents are appropriate to the apartment dweller. Even if used outdoors, there's still a storage issue.

To those who refuse to use gasoline, I don't say your concerns are groundless. To those who use gasoline, I hope you treat it with the respect it warrants. Let's move on and spare this dead horse any more beatings.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-26-12, 09:57 AM
bkaapcke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
What do you do with gasoline that is full of chain crud? bk
Old 03-26-12, 10:02 AM
svidrod

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Use it to ignite the pile of downed sticks you gather in your yard each spring. But only on your Township's designated burn days.
Old 03-26-12, 10:10 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Settle out the crud in storage, and pour clean solvent off the top when I'm ready to reuse. Or you can put a cotton ball in a funnel and filter out the crud and add the clean gasoline to the fuel for your lawn mower.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 03-26-12, 10:32 AM
cvcman

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
humm let me guess, you are the same type of guy who thinks the new light bulbs are better for the enviroment
Old 03-26-12, 10:52 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by cvcman
humm let me guess, you are the same type of guy who thinks the new light bulbs are better for the enviroment
If you're referring to me, you're a mile off.

I think that the new mini fluorescent bulbs are an example of jumping from the pan to the fire, analogous to when Congress ordered tha adding of mtbe to motor fuel. To solve one problem, a new and worse one is introduced, in the case of the mini-F bulbs that of adding mercury to the waste stream.

I'm the type of guy that thinks that the new bulbs and similar mandates have nothing to do with being smart, environmental, socially conscious or anything like that. They're simply another benefit of having the "best Congress that money can buy".

But, it is possible and sensible to consider the environment along with other factors when making decisions. Saving and recycling solvent keeps it out of the waste stream, it saves money, which is the main reason I do it.

Old 03-26-12, 11:37 AM
svidrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cvcman
Better for the environment? Maybe. Better for our strained electricity network? Certainly.
Old 03-26-12, 12:01 PM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Although I do not use gasoline, it is an excellent degreaser. Stinky as all get out.

But what to do with the remaining mixture of chain smutz and gasoline?

Why not dip yer chain in gasoline, swish it around, remove it then immediately light the gasoline soaked chain on fire. This way you get rid of the mixture and burn off the dirt inside your chain.

Of course, this is best done will wearing loose fitting clothing, underneath a birch tree at the height of summer.

Gawd, I love "chain clean and lube" threads.
Old 03-26-12, 05:23 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
discarding solvent

Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
But
- How do people discard the used citrus degreaser, down the drain?

- Rinse with hot water? Unless a rain collector and solar heater is used this is not all that green.

- Put in the oven to dry? Not a very green and energy efficient way to dry a metal part.

On the other hand I use a petroleum based solvent to clean (wipe mostly), WD-40. Wipe to dry with a rag that gets reused for months. I don't use water to clean the mechanicals. When I dunk parts it is also in a container with WD-40 until it's too dirty then it's discarded at the oil collection/recycling center when I drop off my motor oil. I've been using WD-40 from a gallon I bought years ago.
I have a large jug with dirty solvent that I take to the land fill for proper disposal every so often. I am not on city water so I never pour it down the drain. Some small amount does go down my drain when I rinse it but that's very minor.
Using water is not an issue where I live. I have a shallow well and a river in my back yard.
I figure riding my bike is a reasonable contribution to enviro friendly behaviour. I am reasonably responsible in that regard but do use petro products regularly as do most people for good or bad.
Old 03-26-12, 05:47 PM
I_like_cereal
Fail Boat crewman

Bikes: Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chain cleaners used in the past:
Brakecleen - It is what I had handy.
Some fancy crap from the LBS that came with the scrubber.
Some gas I had left over after I changed my fuel filter.
Mineral spirits.

Of all of them I think the brakecleen worked the best. However it stripped the plating off the chain. So I had to lube and lube and lube.
The Fancy crap worked ok.
Of course gas worked great, just did not like my hands burning and my wife wanted nothing to do with me for a while.
I still use mineral spirits. It works ok and I do a two part clean. Soda bottle and scrubber. I do need a new scrubber though. I and considering two toilet brushes tied together.
In the rainy season here I have to clean the chain at least once a week or everything sloooows waaaaay dowwwwwwn from all the grit.

I do like the bucket cleaning method though.
Old 03-26-12, 06:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
It takes a lot of trouble to clean a chain by the methods above. And there's dirt and the trouble of disposing of the mess. I value my time, so if I can't clean my chain easily, I replace it. It might even be less strenuous on the environment for me to do this.

Chains are cheap. My time isn't.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-26-12, 07:07 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
FWIW, I believe that gasoline risks are exaggerated, but I also know that gasoline presents serious hazards if not handled properly. Someplace between "used it for years, never got burnt" and "you're taking your life into your hands" lies a nuanced truth involving a question of intelligently recognizing and managing risks.
Well put.

The trouble, IMO, is that there are always going to be things that are dangerous, relatively speaking. Back when we were bringing down wooly mammoths with spears, cleaning a bicycle chain with gasoline wouldn't have been very high on the list. But now that we've made our world pretty safe, the gasoline/chain paradigm can seem like a huge threat - especially to people who make a living off of bad results.

I once ran a call where some poor fellow backed over his 18 month old boy's head with the family sedan. That was more than a decade ago, but you can bet your last dollar than still I'm paranoid about my 2 and 4 year old boys when I'm in reverse. Far more paranoid than the actual risk calls for, in fact - at least in comparison to mammoth spearing.
Old 03-26-12, 09:16 PM
Franky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very hurtful, amigo.
sorry, sorry compadre. just funning
Old 03-27-12, 04:17 AM
digger

If you're a human walking this earth and enjoy the basics of modern conveniences then you are already NOT environmentaly friendly.

However, if you ride a bicycle, rather than drive, you are WAY more enviro friendly than one who drives a motor vehicle. Its a matter of degree. I think the earth has a very good ability to clean itself of our waste, to a point. However, humans have started to saturate the earth and it has reached its limit.

I use paint thinner to clean my chains. I feel it is no worse than citrus degreasers which do not work well, thus you need more of it. I keep the used paint thinner in a large 4 litre (that's right around 1 U.S. gallon). Twice a year, my community has a hazardous waste day, and I bring it there to dispose of. Its about 4 litres per year.

Not envrio friendly? Well....yes, paint thinner is a hazardous chemical. But I wear gloves when handling it, I do not smoke will handling it, I use it in a well ventilated area and I do not pour it down the drain nor dump it outside.

Bicycling is not waste free, but a hellava lot better than most activities.
Old 03-27-12, 04:22 AM
digger

Originally Posted by noglider
It takes a lot of trouble to clean a chain by the methods above. And there's dirt and the trouble of disposing of the mess. I value my time, so if I can't clean my chain easily, I replace it. It might even be less strenuous on the environment for me to do this.

Everyone has a method. Some people (like me) are OCD about their chains and clean them often. Others replace them more frequently.

Which is more envrionmentally friendly? I guess it is possible to throw the chain in the recycle bin(?)
Old 03-27-12, 04:33 AM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digger
Everyone has a method. Some people (like me) are OCD about their chains and clean them often. Others replace them more frequently.

Which is more envrionmentally friendly? I guess it is possible to throw the chain in the recycle bin(?)

Did Bryan talk to you?
Old 03-27-12, 04:40 AM
digger

Originally Posted by ben4345
Did Bryan talk to you?
Bryan?
Old 03-28-12, 04:53 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
I clean my chain once every year on Thanksgiving day. I throw it in a bucket of gasoline next to my turkey fryer so that I can multi-task. I keep the turkey frozen until it goes in the fryer and that gives me time to work on the chain. They are no more than 4 feet apart. I can stand in the middle and just turn around to attend to the other. My wooden deck is just big enough for the gas grill, the fryer, the chain bucket, and the patio table where my kids can sit and watch me work. It's a great family tradition.
Uh, no shots and beer? What kind of Thanksgiving family activity is that?
Old 03-28-12, 04:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

Word. I challenge anyone to honestly say that there's a meaningful advantage to all this cleaning nonsense compared to just regularly re-lubing, letting it drip a little, and thoroughly cleaning the outside of the chain. Especially considering time, the cost of cleaning supplies, and the hassle of the mess and/or dealing with filthy solvents.

Lube often, clean the outside.
Old 03-28-12, 08:43 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
some chains are cheap. mine are., but if I had a campy chain I'd probably be more enthusiastic cleaning it.
Old 03-29-12, 07:04 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Uh, no shots and beer? What kind of Thanksgiving family activity is that?
My kids are young. I have a strict rule of no hard liquor before the age of 16.
Old 03-29-12, 09:48 AM
cbchess
Map maker

Bikes: Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't care how you clean the chain. But I really like Chain-L lube. I got almost a year out of my last application.
Old 03-29-12, 10:01 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by cbchess
i don't care how you clean the chain. But I really like Chain-L lube. I got almost a year out of my last application.
I do care, but only if you use Chain-L. To properly lube a chain it has to be dry inside, so the newly applied product can wick into the chain where it needs to be. The most common chain cleaning error is failure to dry completely, especially if using water based cleaners which can be retained inside the chain by capillary action for a long time. Think about water that seeped under a glass table top for comparison.

If the chain isn't dry added lubricant will sit on the outside and be wiped off before it can do any good. It's like trying to wipe up a spill with an already soggy towel.

I don't care how people clean or lube their chains, though I'm obviously happier if they use my stuff. But I really do care how Chain-L users clean their chains, because poor technique yields poor results which reflect poorly on my product and me.

Old 03-29-12, 11:01 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
some chains are cheap. mine are., but if I had a campy chain I'd probably be more enthusiastic cleaning it.
That's a fair point. And I do spend a bit of time cleaning my chains. By not letting it get seriously gunky, I can clean them by applying ATF liberally, wiping, and repeating that cycle a few times. Each application/wipe cycle yields cleaner and cleaner wipes, so I believe it does some good.

Originally Posted by cbchess
I'd love to be able to look at my chain and know that it doesn't need more lubrication. How do I do that? I do have Chain-L and use it occasionally.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-29-12, 11:10 AM
FBinNY 

I'd love to be able to look at my chain and know that it doesn't need more lubrication. How do I do that? I do have Chain-L and use it occasionally.
There's no way to look, so if in doubt oil it again (Chain-L lasts too long, and I need people to apply more often than absolutely necessary). Actually, while you can't usually see that it needs to be oiled (unless there's some rust starting at the edges of the plates) you can hear it.

As the oil becomes contaminated and dry the chain starts getting noisier which is a fairly reliable indicator of the need to oil. Certainly any chirping characteristic of a dry chain means you should have oiled it yesterday.

Over the years, I've found another early warning. The shifting becomes a bit more sluggish, so if I find myself thinking of trim adjustments I try to remember when I last oiled the chain, and if I can't remember, I go ahead and do so at the next opportunity. One nice thing about Chain-L (remember this it the maker saying this) is that it wears out very slowly, so you have a few hundred miles between the early signs and having a dry chain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.