Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Strange shifting issue

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Strange shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 06:19 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Strange shifting issue

So let's assume I'm on 1st gear.

Shift down to second works, third works, fourth, fifth, sixth all work.

Does not shift to seven...except on a rare occasion.

Now shifting up it gets weirder.

Let's assume I tried to shift to seventh, but it's still in sixth gear.

Shift up to sixth, gear stays in sixth.

Shift up to fifth gear, gear stays in sixth.

Shift up to fourth, gear moves up to fifth.

Shift up to third, gear moves to fourth.

Shift up to second, gear shifts to third.

Shift up to first, gear skips second and goes right into first.

Then I can shift down gear by gear except it never reaches seventh, and all the above can be repeated.

Also, when shifting up I sometimes have to coax it by slightly overshifting to the next but not enough for the shifter to engage - i.e. halfway to third from fourth and it'll shift to fourth.

Tried messing around with the limit and tension but I'm not certain I'm picking what's right. Headscratcher.

Suggestions?

M.
Old 05-29-13, 06:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
Sounds like classic cable issues. Friction somewhere between the lever and the der. Andy.
Old 05-29-13, 06:55 PM
jowilson

Bikes: 1992 Trek 800 Antelope, 1971 Triumph

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try "resetting" all your adjustments. Screw barrel adjuster all the way back in on the shifter, along with the barrel adjuster on the derailleur, and unscrew the high and low adjuster screws.

Shift to first gear, but be careful not to let the chain shift past and into the spokes.

Set the high screw limit so the chain won't go past the first gear.

Shift down to 7th and set the low screw limit so the chain won't go past 7th gear.

Try shifting through all the gears. If there are still problems, shift back to 7th, unscrew the cable clamp and pull the cable with just enough force to get the cable moderately stiff.

Tighten the cable clamp and shift through all the gears again. If you still experience problems, use the barrel adjusters to get it just right.

Hope this helps...

Josh
Old 05-29-13, 07:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

The OP inferred that his cable tension/index coordination was good because in one direction all shifting was spot on (until the last shift where the der's return spring is at it's weakest). Yet when he shifted in the other direction the der didn't follow the lever's command. The most common way to reconcile these two behaviors is with cable issues.

Of course there could be other problems like a bent hanger or cage, mismatched cog count or c-c spacing, or a lever that has a gummy barrel movement (not a ratchet one). Andy.
Old 05-29-13, 07:51 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

I should add that in the corrective action (with the cable/casing) the OP should rebase line the system. Like Josh said. Andy.
Old 05-29-13, 09:20 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
I'd be curious what bike this "system" is on.
If it's a BSO, that shifting may not be that abnormal
Old 05-30-13, 03:52 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Sounds very like a bent hanger to me. It should always be the first thing to check when there are shifting problems.
Old 05-30-13, 03:58 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
You can confirm it's cable friction by manually assisting the derailleur's return spring. If it shifts fine with you helping it, it's not likely to be the hanger.
Old 05-30-13, 07:37 AM
jolly_ross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hanger will be bent, they pretty well always are. Whether it's bent enough to be a problem is hard to tell other than by straightening it. I know of no way of doing this other than by using a hanger alignment tool.

First thing to do, however, with mysterious shifting problems is to change the cable, inner and outer. Unfortunately OP will also have to reset limit screws etc because he's dicked about with them.
Old 05-30-13, 09:13 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_ross
The hanger will be bent, they pretty well always are. Whether it's bent enough to be a problem is hard to tell other than by straightening it. I know of no way of doing this other than by using a hanger alignment tool.

First thing to do, however, with mysterious shifting problems is to change the cable, inner and outer. Unfortunately OP will also have to reset limit screws etc because he's dicked about with them.
That's what I think too.

A bicycle is a simple machine but the devil is in the details. For mysterious shifting problems, check to be sure everything is in the default condition. That includes cable and housing condition and derailleur hanger alignment.
Old 05-30-13, 10:28 AM
TiBikeGuy

Bikes: Litespeed Ti Mtb, BikeE Recumbent, Cannondale H600 Hybrid,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Possible causes of shifting problems :

1. Rusty shifter cables.
2. Kinks in shifter housing.
3. Correct housing length - too short or too long will affect the shifting.
4. Do not use brake housing for the shifters, they are too flexible.
5. Shifter housing that are frayed.
6. Bent derailleur hanger.
7. Rapid fire shifters that have old grease that sticks to the ratcheting mechanism.
8. Rear derailleur spring tension that are stuck.
9. Rusty chains with stiff links that skips.
10. Rear derailleur rollers that are covered with dirt and old grease that prevent it from spinning smoothly.
Old 05-30-13, 01:02 PM
cbchess
Map maker

Bikes: Ventana El Ciclon, Walt Works 29er, Specialized Enduro (fixed up for my son).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiBikeGuy

1. Rusty shifter cables.
7. Rapid fire shifters that have old grease that sticks to the ratcheting mechanism.
10. Rear derailleur rollers that are covered with dirt and old grease that prevent it from spinning smoothly.
All these +1
Old 05-30-13, 06:19 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
With no pictures or bike data, sounds like it might be time to lube the cables, per Andrew's first post.

The symptoms really do sound like a classic cable "hysteresis loss" issue between shifter and derailer, but might also be due to too large of a chain gap between the sprocket and the top roller on the rear derailer which is adjustable on the better majority of derailers.
Old 05-30-13, 07:03 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
Try shifting the bike by pulling just on the cable...no shifters...if it shifts like it is supposed to..well check the other things mentioned...
Old 05-31-13, 08:16 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
You have two different things going on. Of course when the shift to seventh fails you will need two shifts to go back up, as the lever still starts out in 7th. After that it's operating pretty normally, with the exception of 1st gear, where it's common to be able to pull the derailleur a little more. The reason it won't get to 7th is (as mentioned) cable friction or a bent hanger - or both, and the already mentioned low spring tension by the time you get down to that end.

So you need to start by confirming hanger alignment and then isolating and correcting any friction problems, which could be lubrication, contamination, rust, kinking, etc. Then you need to do the previously mentioned "reset" of the tension adjustment.
Old 06-27-13, 12:28 PM
Shiseiji
Ron

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 2006 Montaque Hummer, 2006 Fuji Crosstown 1, 2012 Civilian Corduroy Rebel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onbike 1939
Sounds very like a bent hanger to me. It should always be the first thing to check when there are shifting problems.
I've been taught that bent hangers most often exibit a chain jump across cogs. Not what you've seen?

TIA
Old 06-27-13, 01:36 PM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiseiji
I've been taught that bent hangers most often exibit a chain jump across cogs. Not what you've seen?

TIA
Not really. A bent hanger can cause inconsistent changes both up and down despite any amount of indexing adjustment. The problem is that it is sometimes very difficult to spot as it can be off in both the vertical and lateral directions. With any gear problems I've trained myself to check the hanger before doing anything else.
Old 06-27-13, 01:50 PM
Shiseiji
Ron

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn High Sierra, 2006 Montaque Hummer, 2006 Fuji Crosstown 1, 2012 Civilian Corduroy Rebel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, thanks. We have the alignment tool at the coop where I volunteer, and I have used it several time to correct shifting issues not related to derailleur indexing. I have no shame in asking questions and not paying for any more lessons than I have to.

At least by starting with the tool you will know you have two set points, the alighment and index screws. I like to make sure the derailleur is clean and lubed too, espicially with index shifters. Extra friction is not my friend.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-27-13, 01:54 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Originally Posted by TiBikeGuy

1. Rusty shifter cables.
All true but hardly complete, and diagnosis is not a multiple choice procedure. One needs to look first at the items that are most likely the cause of the specific problem, eliminating them by means of isolation and substitution, rather than just going down a list.
Old 06-27-13, 02:01 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Originally Posted by Shiseiji

TIA
You've been taught incorrectly. A hanger that is only bent in (the most common occurrence) will mostly just move all shift points inward and create somewhat more noise. If the hanger (or derailleur/cage) is twisted, however, the rotation of the pulley cage will cause misalignment in varying amounts due to it no longer rotating in the same plane as the cogs, and then may cause skipping gears, misalignment in some gears, etc.