Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Looking for PBP spectating advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 04:23 AM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Looking for PBP spectating advice

I'm not a randonneur, but I know some of them from my old bike club in North Carolina, USA.
My spouse and I have moved to Portugal in retirement, and want to plan a trip to be spectators at PBP. We want to do the thing where we bring a table and hand out food and drinks at a random place on the route.

I saw the rwgps route posted here, and I looked at the route at https://www.paris-brest-paris.org/la-route/
I selected some towns to prospect that are on the route, to look for AirBnB, etc.
I don't want to run afoul of this rule:
Support given on the route, or in the checkpoint towns, by a non-registered vehicle
If I find a landowner who allows me to set up a table next to the road, does that avoid violating that rule?

Are there other things that we need to know? Can anyone recommend a website with information/advice about doing this?
many thanks!!
Likes For esther-L:
Old 07-08-23, 12:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
If you are supporting everyone, it's not an issue. The problem comes when you are supporting specific riders. Since you don't know anyone specifically in the ride, it's okay to drive on the course. I suggest avoiding it as much as possible though. I have no idea how to pick a point on the course to do this. There are lots of vans at the top of Roc'h Trevezel, but it is only on the route on the way out this time. There is a pull out near Huelgoat where people would probably welcome some support. I took a nap on a bench near there in 2019.

In 2011, there was someone that had dropped out of PBP and was driving around supporting people out of their van. I caught up to them just before Mortagne-au-Perche. Even though I wasn't far from the control, it was near the top of a long climb (seemed long at the time). So it was welcome to have a drink and some cookies.
Old 07-09-23, 05:10 AM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
It seems like you need some sort of permit to drive a motor vehicle on the course. If I don't have a motor vehicle, I avoid being a non-registered vehicle! I am hoping that a bicycle will not violate that rule. Also if you do use a motor vehicle, it looks like you need to be within 5km of a control.

I was thinking to find AirBnB or hotel within walking distance of the course, then find a landowner who would let me set up a table in their yard next to the course.
I have seen recommendations for Sizun, Villaines-la-Juhel, Huelgoat. I didn't know there was a pull-out at/near Huelgoat - that might be a good place. That is on the way out, and not on the return trip.
Old 07-09-23, 06:03 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
You do not need a permit as a random spectator.

It is pretty common for random, kind people to have a setup offering water and snacks.

What is not allowed is driving around on the course supporting a specific rider(s) but camping out as a spectator isn't a problem for anyone that I can figure.

Personally, I would park myself on the Roc for a day and then drive to Sizun and take the D18 South to join the return route and park after a climb on the return route. Riders are going to be trashed on this year's return, it is way harder than in year's past. A bit of en couragement might help them. I hope you go and have fun.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-09-23, 09:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

The course is not closed to people that aren't involved in the ride. It just wouldn't be realistic. The organizers just don't want the traffic from hundreds of people supporting specific European riders on the course. From what I can tell, it used to be a problem. I feel like these rules are skirted anyway, with my evidence being the lineup of campers at the top of le Roc'h. There is no way to get there by following the route for support cars, and they aren't there for fun.
Old 07-09-23, 09:50 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Love it.

Don't get me wrong I love the croissants, pastries, baguettes, and of course crepes, but damn I get to the point where I'd kill for a bagel PBJ somewhere on the return. Can you source a couple 5lb tubs of chunky peanut butter? Just don't setup on a fast stretch. 2/3 up a climb isn't a bad spot IMO. PBJ and water, and I bet a lot of Americans would be tickled. Comfort food.

Seems like there are plenty of places where you could set up a table roadside without bothering a landowner. I suppose getting approval is always a good idea.

The people on the back end are the ones who really need encouragement and calories. Please minimize driving on the route though.

Cheers!
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-09-23, 11:27 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

The local grocery near our airbnb didn't carry peanut butter. I ended up getting nutella for my peanut butter fix.
Probably would have been a good idea to make a trip into the Carrefour.
Old 07-10-23, 12:49 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Oh heck. Randonneuring is now a spectator sport?

looks sideways at non matching saddle and bar tape
Old 07-10-23, 07:01 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

PBP has a lot of spectators, at all hours in some places. Villaines, for example. I ate too much at loudeac at 3 in the morning and ran out of the dining hall because I had to throw up. There were spectators standing there to watch. Only time I resented them being there.
Old 07-10-23, 07:59 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by znomit
Oh heck. Randonneuring is now a spectator sport?

looks sideways at non matching saddle and bar tape
I don't know but there were far more spectators in 1995 but my fondest memory was going by I think a farm at 3-4am Monday somewhere near Tintineac and hearing a faint clap that got louder as I approached and then a "Bon Courage" from what seemed to be an elderly lady sitting in a chair with a blanket over herself. There is no shortage of kids to give pins to. I give away two water bottles as souvenirs.
Old 07-10-23, 08:06 AM
GhostRider62

There is also a subgroup of spectators at Controls who like to fondle the Special bikes. Some Controls will have special parking spots to give us some space from the groupies although Villaine was the worst, I had to park down an alley despite there being almost nobody there right out front. And of course, I came back to people playing with my recumbent and especially the push button eTap. The velomobiles are like rock stars. Fans lined the streets for many villages on old start from the velodrome but the new sheep farm start did not have that same ambiance. It did not feel the same until Mortagne in 2019, at least for me, because the villages were not as packed with spectators.
Old 07-10-23, 08:44 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I don't know but there were far more spectators in 1995 but my fondest memory was going by I think a farm at 3-4am Monday somewhere near Tintineac and hearing a faint clap that got louder as I approached and then a "Bon Courage" from what seemed to be an elderly lady sitting in a chair with a blanket over herself. There is no shortage of kids to give pins to. I give away two water bottles as souvenirs.
The faint clapping coming from upstairs windows at 2am I assumed was for me.

The people make PBP, for me.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 07-10-23, 09:33 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I experienced a lone spectator sitting out in a field clapping for me at 3am in 2011. Tbh, I though I had picked up a tack or something. Fortunately I figured it out before I stopped, it was on the long downhill after the climb out of Loudeac. I never saw them, they must have been fairly far back from the road.

The people out in front of their houses offering food and water definitely make the ride worth it. The riders are a bit annoying, I know I am.
Old 07-11-23, 06:10 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I experienced a lone spectator sitting out in a field clapping for me at 3am in 2011. Tbh, I though I had picked up a tack or something. Fortunately I figured it out before I stopped, it was on the long downhill after the climb out of Loudeac. I never saw them, they must have been fairly far back from the road.

The people out in front of their houses offering food and water definitely make the ride worth it. The riders are a bit annoying, I know I am.
Those pesky Stvzo lights.....

I think I am going to stop for the snacks this year, somehow I feel like I am taking something that someone behind me needs more. Odd but true. My support fell thru. I had the car, hotels, and even registered the support car. Oh well. Covid didn't help either. The thoughts of strangers in the dark clapping for you is somehow a powerful motivator.
Old 07-11-23, 08:46 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Talking to the people when stopping for snacks is the best part. There are so many people offering them, I doubt you will run them out of food.
One of them complained to me that more riders weren't stopping. You can burn a lot of time stopping to talk to them though.
Old 07-11-23, 09:02 AM
GhostRider62

When there are children, I stop. Have to unload those heavy pins. I remember one little boy yelling and jumping up and down like I gave him a million bucks. Felt good. Then, I noticed another child looking forlorn and I pulled a pin out for her, too.
Likes For GhostRider62: