Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Alternative to Apple Watch?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Alternative to Apple Watch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 01:16 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Sounds like the product doesn't work that well.

Read about his interesting experience here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...lite-link.html

Even in their own marketing the user looks kinda confused.
Likes For znomit:
Old 07-17-23, 08:30 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Haha!
Old 07-17-23, 08:52 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

I bought The Motorola Defy (Satellite Link) on Saturday and returned it on Sunday. Very poor in so many ways. Would not stay bluetooth connected to my iphone, would not retain my med/health info (DoB, etc) even though I entered it 4 times, kept telling me I had have a plan & subscription to do several things even thoug I DID have a plan and subscription, requires msg recepients to download and use the Bullitt messaging app to communicate with you, and other issues too. Lastly, Bullit's "Support" has provided no help, just boilerplate email script replies.

I bought the Garmin Inreach mini2 and so far everything has worked has marketed. It costs more than Motorola but may just be a "you get what you pay for" result.
Likes For rbrides:
Old 07-18-23, 01:05 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Calsun
The latest iphone 14 models have satelitte communications for use in an emergency to send out texts for help.
It pays to re-read things sometimes. I did not notice this statement earlier. I just read Apple's iPhone 14 description and it seems great. Although my initially stated need was for a wrist-phone with longer battery life, the true essence of my need is being able to communicate. Satellite messaging is a real plus and the product description says the user can send their location to others via the FindMe feature. This may be good for me. Tnx!
Old 07-21-23, 06:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
I bought The Motorola Defy (Satellite Link) on Saturday and returned it on Sunday. Very poor in so many ways. Would not stay bluetooth connected to my iphone, would not retain my med/health info (DoB, etc) even though I entered it 4 times, kept telling me I had have a plan & subscription to do several things even thoug I DID have a plan and subscription, requires msg recepients to download and use the Bullitt messaging app to communicate with you, and other issues too. Lastly, Bullit's "Support" has provided no help, just boilerplate email script replies.

I bought the Garmin Inreach mini2 and so far everything has worked has marketed. It costs more than Motorola but may just be a "you get what you pay for" result.
I put mine away for about 10 days and forgot about it. Basically the same experience. I got mine at REI so I can give Motorola some time to make it work.
Old 07-21-23, 06:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by rbrides
It pays to re-read things sometimes. I did not notice this statement earlier. I just read Apple's iPhone 14 description and it seems great. Although my initially stated need was for a wrist-phone with longer battery life, the true essence of my need is being able to communicate. Satellite messaging is a real plus and the product description says the user can send their location to others via the FindMe feature. This may be good for me. Tnx!
Just to clarify, is Apple saying "Find Me/Find Friends" app will work via satellite, or just cellular connectivity? If it works via satellite, that would be great.
Old 07-21-23, 09:57 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Got my answer when setting up an iPad for my wife:

Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-22-23, 11:52 AM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts
I had a Samsung Galaxy Watch LTE, which was able to initiate and receive phone calls. 3-4 day battery life, so not really an improvement to the problem you're trying to solve. Mobile device manufacturers could easily double battery capacity for a small sacrifice in size, but they've all decided 3-4 days is how much battery life a mobile device should have. Devices with larger battery life that specifically target outdoor activities haven't sold well enough for manufacturers to continue offering them.

In two years, I received exactly 0 calls on mine that weren't from telemarketers. The "Number Sync" feature that let my watch receive calls on my other device's phone number kept turning itself off, and it was not trivial to fix. When I learned how much more data I could get from a Garmin watch, I happily ditched it.

Your watch can probably get several charges out of a small battery pack.
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 07-22-23, 12:28 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Just a thought... OVER...

Old 07-24-23, 09:10 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Just a thought... OVER...
Doesn't seem like a good one. Is HAM radio really ever used for personal emergencies?
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 07-24-23, 12:52 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Just to clarify, is Apple saying "Find Me/Find Friends" app will work via satellite, or just cellular connectivity? If it works via satellite, that would be great.
I will answer you question again later this week after my iPhone 14 arrives and I get out beyond cell service range.
Old 07-24-23, 02:29 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
i believe you have to push your location specifically with the app. when out of service it doesn’t automatically update like it does typically.
Old 07-24-23, 02:58 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Doesn't seem like a good one. Is HAM radio really ever used for personal emergencies?
No... The post was just in jest. Having a small, light weight, communication device is a gem. We should also remember those old little Candy Bar GSM cell phones have excellent range and do not require a service for a 911 call. I do think the Dick Tracy watch is just right Apple or not.

I have seen some touring rides come through our small town that had so many electrical components on their bars as to not be able to see the front tire. I mentioned this to one of them and his reply was that a fully loaded touring bike had limited visibility of the front tire even without the electronic gadgets attached.

A ham radio for emergencies is in practical in urban areas or along most traffic-ed roads. But in rural areas and the deep woods or desert there are a few Sheriffs Departments still monitoring CB, FRS, and even some 2m/440 Ham Freqs.

Off topic I think that little ChiCom UV-5R is filling a great need for less then 30 USD. I have witnessed at least 5 people come into the Ham Radio family just because they could get a fair radio for a real good price. Further more, now days getting a Ham license is not much harder then getting your Radio and Electronics merit badge in the Boy Scouts... Ha

KD5YVG - 73