Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you will lie about something small.... A Salsa Story

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

If you will lie about something small.... A Salsa Story

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-23, 09:44 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
I get the feeling that this bicycle was not properly test-ridden after assembly. Any mechanic and shop worth their salt has a mandatory test-ride policy. You do it to TEST the bike to find any issues or errors in the assembly and final adjustment. They failed on two counts: to catch the loose brake lever and then to catch it during the test ride. That's QA/QC 101 in bicycle retail.
Per post #37...The bike was test-ridden by the shop.
Old 08-16-23, 07:35 AM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Looks like y'all might have been right....

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 08-16-23, 07:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Count your blessings that you didn't hydroplane right off the road.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-16-23, 01:54 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
Another strike against disc brakes, you can't just flip your front wheel around to make that tire face the right direction
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 08-22-23, 01:49 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
How many bike shops have you wrenched in?

Arrogant? Some people, huh? If brake lever position varies by person to person, how do you know you had THEM SET UP "PROPERLY?" How do you know the coach didn't know more about proper setup than you do?

I ask again: How many shops have you wrenched in?
Why the need to question my experience? The points I raised were germane and valuable.
But since you asked...
I oversaw 13 stores in the SF Bay Area. So I was managing the "wrenches" in these shops. Ensuring QA/QC was followed. I've been wrenching since I was about 10. In shops since I was 16 in 1981.
The LBS with 13 locations was the world's largest Specialized and Cannondale dealers at various times in the 90's. That means I was responsible for thousands of new bicycles going out the front doors and thousands more repairs as well.
Worked at the LBS level and industry level. Taught the factory technicians how to build the titanium bike line. Taught them the UBI manual techniques.
Ran a campus shop. Taught bicycle maintenance to staff & students.
The coach wasn't even alive when I started mountain biking.
Anyone who looks at a kid's bike, while doing 50 bike safety checks while everyone's waiting to ride, and says, "Oh, these levers are WRONG!" is both arrogant and using his time wrong. His job isn't to "make bikes fit HIS idea of 'right'," but to do SAFETY checks. Eg. find SAFETY issues. And if you really want to get technical, moving brake levers on a kid's bike right before a ride could constitute a safety problem itself! Kid goes to hit the brake lever in challenging terrain, and it's been moved! OH CRAP!
Again, bad use of the coach's time and poor decision-making. All because he "knew better." And the irony? I moved the levers right back to where they were and my kid preferred.
Been doing this long enough, thank you.
Old 08-22-23, 05:35 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
I hate it when people don't recognize my obvious genius and superiority.
Old 09-04-23, 04:00 PM
Hvac

Bikes: About 10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I say, cut ‘em some slack. Humans make mistakes. In this case the mistake may have been not to own up to the other mistake. The employee has no skin in the game, just a paycheck. Unless you feel compelled to right every wrong get back on your bike.
Old 09-04-23, 09:06 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Why the need to question my experience? The points I raised were germane and valuable.
But since you asked...
I oversaw 13 stores in the SF Bay Area. So I was managing the "wrenches" in these shops. Ensuring QA/QC was followed. I've been wrenching since I was about 10. In shops since I was 16 in 1981.
The LBS with 13 locations was the world's largest Specialized and Cannondale dealers at various times in the 90's. That means I was responsible for thousands of new bicycles going out the front doors and thousands more repairs as well.
Worked at the LBS level and industry level. Taught the factory technicians how to build the titanium bike line. Taught them the UBI manual techniques.
Ran a campus shop. Taught bicycle maintenance to staff & students.
The coach wasn't even alive when I started mountain biking.
Anyone who looks at a kid's bike, while doing 50 bike safety checks while everyone's waiting to ride, and says, "Oh, these levers are WRONG!" is both arrogant and using his time wrong. His job isn't to "make bikes fit HIS idea of 'right'," but to do SAFETY checks. Eg. find SAFETY issues. And if you really want to get technical, moving brake levers on a kid's bike right before a ride could constitute a safety problem itself! Kid goes to hit the brake lever in challenging terrain, and it's been moved! OH CRAP!
Again, bad use of the coach's time and poor decision-making. All because he "knew better." And the irony? I moved the levers right back to where they were and my kid preferred.
Been doing this long enough, thank you.

And the response…. Crickets.

Old 09-04-23, 11:20 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
I purposely mount my rear tire "backwards".