Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Rear Tail Light that mounts on rear rack

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Rear Tail Light that mounts on rear rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-23, 03:19 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Question Rear Tail Light that mounts on rear rack

I'm a tourer. I use panniers and secure my tent and sleeping pad across the rear panniers. There are boatloads of great tail lights available that mount on the seatpost or one of the tubes on the bike, but those lights cannot be seen because of my tent and sleeping pad are in the way. So I'm in the hunt for a great rear tail light that will mount to my rear rack mount. What say ye?
Old 09-22-23, 10:27 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
There's a bunch of lights with dedicated rack mounts.

Cateye reflex is a good option because you don't have to remember to turn it on and it has a built in reflector.
https://cateyeamerica.com/products/reflex-auto

Cygolite have a rack mount if you want a brighter option.
https://cygolite.square.site/product...&category_id=4
Old 09-23-23, 11:55 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Are you into a little DIY? Someone asked me this question a couple of years ago and I have pictures of a very easy DIY that uses three parts, a bolt, an L shaped corner bracket and a short piece of 1/2" PVC irrigation pipe both of which can be bought from Home Depot or a similar store. It's picture heavy so see the Private Message I will send you later today.
Old 09-24-23, 05:05 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
No irrigation hose here, but I fabricated a bracket from a piece of angle aluminum from the hardware store. Used a hack saw, drill, few nuts and bolts. I mounted it extra low so if something hung over the back of the rack, it did not change the light beam, an earlier one I made would sometimes have the light aimed too low if something on the rack pressed down on the light.

Some Planet Bike lights and possibly some others include a bracket that will wrap around a seatstay that has a smaller diameter than a seatpost. I have wrapped some inner tube rubber around rack tubing to make it thicker and then used the seat stay brackets to mount lights on a rack. When touring, I like a spare taillight, so usually have two on the rack. In the photo, a reflector is installed on the rack light mounting plate. This light mount did not take any extra tools like a saw or drill, used a scissors to cut the inner tube rubber.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 09-24-23 at 06:31 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-24-23, 08:55 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku...rent/323.html?
Old 09-24-23, 04:19 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
There's a bunch of lights with dedicated rack mounts.

Cateye reflex is a good option because you don't have to remember to turn it on and it has a built in reflector.
https://cateyeamerica.com/products/reflex-auto

Cygolite have a rack mount if you want a brighter option.
You can add Niterider too.

If you can't find it here, you can go to Shapeways (3D printing marketplace) and search for your favorite light. You'll almost certainly find someone has made one there. That's where I got one for my Garmin Varia Radar+light.
Old 09-24-23, 08:47 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
I have mounted a seatpost only light to my tubus rack with a tubus fender bracket and a nitto lite mount.
Likes For Rick:
Old 09-25-23, 05:42 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Busch + Müller (Germany) make a variety of lights, including ones that mount on the rear of a rack.

Battery powered:
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku...cklichter.html

Dynamo generator powered:
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-rucklichter.html

E-Bike powered:
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/e-bi...cklichter.html

Myself, I've got a pair of CygoLite Hypershot 350 USB. CygoLite makes a rack mount adapter, if that's your preferred mounting spot. Very bright light. Good range of flash patterns. With two of them, one on the rack and one on your helmet, seat post or seat stay, it's all but impossible to not easily see a bike from a few hundred yards away.

https://cygolite.com/product/hypershot-350-usb/

Last edited by Clyde1820; 09-25-23 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-25-23, 06:46 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by jkinner
I'm a tourer. I use panniers and secure my tent and sleeping pad across the rear panniers. There are boatloads of great tail lights available that mount on the seatpost or one of the tubes on the bike, but those lights cannot be seen because of my tent and sleeping pad are in the way. So I'm in the hunt for a great rear tail light that will mount to my rear rack mount. What say ye?
If you're not running good coverage fenders, a rack mount light can (and will) get covered in splatter. Just something to be aware of.
Old 10-02-23, 11:48 PM
speyfitter

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
ALL Bontrager flare lights can mount to the light bar of a rear rack.

I recommend the Bontrager Flare RT. If you buy this light it comes with a seat post mount. The 2 part seat post mount has the rubber strap and a plastic adapter recessed in the rubber strap that you can remove and mount to the rear rack light bar with a small socket screw since it has a brass threaded bushing in it. It’s done this way on purpose for this reason.

This mount part can also be bought separately at any trek dealer as well as the light obviously:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...t-kit/p/25674/
Old 10-04-23, 09:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Planet Bike, Bontrager, Portland and a few others make (or made) inexpensive, very good and long lasting rack mount taillights that used AA and AAA batteries. I still have one or two for my early 1990s Univega hybrid with rear rack. They bolt into the holes already drilled into most racks. Pretty standard sizes. And it's easy to drill new holes or add sheet metal brackets if needed for custom fit.

And I have two or three sets of AA and AAA taillights that clamp to the seat tube or seat post but can be adapted to a rear rack with some sheet metal brackets and bolts.

Much as I prefer newer, brighter USB charged headlights, some of the older style taillights with AA and AAA batteries are still just fine for most purposes. The main advantage to super bright USB taillights like the Cygolite Hotshot and Hotrod is for daytime visibility. Those Cygolites are really too bright for nighttime group rides -- great way to blind your buddies behind you. So I'll use both types on some rides.
Old 10-06-23, 11:58 AM
Paul_P

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
I discovered that Cateye ViZ, Portland Design Works, and Planet Bike rack mount tailights all use the same mount form.
Planet Bike is cheapest to buy just the mount (6$) for using the same light on more than one bike.
When in town I use the USB ViZ450 and have a AAA battery powered PDW Danger Zone for off grid touring.

As an aside, Planet Bike also use a front headlight mount (they have more than one) that is the same as B+M and is only $6 allowing me to also switch my big B+M IQ headlight between bikes.
Likes For Paul_P:
Old 10-06-23, 12:56 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
thumbs up to the DIY suggestions. That's what I do for my tour bike and for various light brands. I also 3D printed some brackets.
Old 10-06-23, 01:11 PM
twobiscuits

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If you go up one level in that website, you can see there are several rack-mounting lights. For example, the Flat S, which comes in both dynamo and battery versions, is an excellent light for a modest price. But they assume you have a rack with a plate for mounting a light on, with holes for two screws.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku...cklichter.html
Old 10-13-23, 03:08 PM
JohnJ80

Cygolite, Specialized and Niterider all have rack mounts for their lights. I use the versions of both that are 300 lumens except for the specialized that is lower lumens..

I also have a 3D printed version for my Garmin Varia radar and light combo that fits on a rack. I got it from the marketplace on Shapeways.com.

J
Old 10-13-23, 05:58 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
Cygolite, Specialized and Niterider all have rack mounts for their lights. I use the versions of both that are 300 lumens except for the specialized that is lower lumens..
Why limit yourself when you can mount the seatpost style ones with some other brackets. I purchased a couple of Dinotte taillight's and found a way to mount them and other seatpost mounted style taillight's.

I mounted a tubus fender support upside down. Attached it to the tail light mount on the tubus rack. I mounted the Nitto rack accessory to it.
Old 10-15-23, 01:31 PM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks!

Originally Posted by JohnJ80

I also have a 3D printed version for my Garmin Varia radar and light combo that fits on a rack. I got it from the marketplace on Shapeways.com.

J
It took a little hunting but I did get the Cygolite with rear rack adapter for my bike. Very happy with it!
Old 10-18-23, 08:25 PM
JohnJ80

it took a little hunting but i did get the cygolite with rear rack adapter for my bike. Very happy with it!
👍

Excellent.