skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
How high and wide are those bridge crossings?

As someone with acrophobia (i.e., heights), I am not a big fan of bike bridges. In Irvine, I can tolerate the ones on the Jeffrey Open Trail:

Awards and Nominations - 2016 - Jeffrey Open Space Trail - ASCE OC - American Society of Civil Engineers - Orange County Branch

But the Jeffrey Pedestrian Bridge that cross the I-405 freeway (to link the Juanita Moe Trail and Freeway Trail) scares me tremendously, even though it has fully fenced sides.
The bridges crossing the SART are as high as the levees on each side of the river, and the trail is on top of those levees I'd guess they are 15-20 feet above the riverbed?. They're truss bridges, pretty well guarded on the sides so you won't fall off . Scroll down on this page and you'll come to a few pictures of the bridge at the south end that goes across from Costa Mesa to Huntington Beach. There's another similar bridge almost next to the 17th street road crossing up in Santa Ana, about 1.5-2 miles south of the 'Orange Crush' freeway interchange. Not sure about the bridges farther inland, maybe other can chime in on those.

Entering and exiting the Santa Ana River Trail in Costa Mesa | Marc Perkins
Likes For skidder:
Old 11-18-21, 08:14 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
The bridges crossing the SART are as high as the levees on each side of the river, and the trail is on top of those levees I'd guess they are 15-20 feet above the riverbed?. They're truss bridges, pretty well guarded on the sides so you won't fall off . Scroll down on this page and you'll come to a few pictures of the bridge at the south end that goes across from Costa Mesa to Huntington Beach. There's another similar bridge almost next to the 17th street road crossing up in Santa Ana, about 1.5-2 miles south of the 'Orange Crush' freeway interchange. Not sure about the bridges farther inland, maybe other can chime in on those.

Entering and exiting the Santa Ana River Trail in Costa Mesa | Marc Perkins
Thank you. Although I know the chances of me falling off are miniscule, the fear I feel crossing bike bridges is disproportionately huge because of my condition.
Old 01-02-24, 01:23 PM
ui127

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
This trail is a bit boring but has some nice spots at either end, right? I can't think of any better options nearby for such long, continuous dedicated bike path riding?
Old 01-04-24, 01:00 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
simple matter to hook up the 90% bike paths ride mixing in the la river trail to the long beach trail. a quick roll through southern long beach and seal beach (and a roll along the sgrt as far as you wanna go) and sunset beach (all west of pch)...then hopping on the huntington beach/bolsa chica bike path to newport beach.
just before entering newport, heading north on the sart to your hearts content. any combo of the lart, sart and sgrt with the assorted 20 miles of connecting/paralleling pch makes it an ideal, flattish first century or a good way to get in oodles of miles with very little automobile interaction.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-04-24, 10:20 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by ui127
This trail is a bit boring but has some nice spots at either end, right? I can't think of any better options nearby for such long, continuous dedicated bike path riding?
It is kind of boring, but it'll take you by Angel Stadium and the Honda Center and some interesting neighborhoods. The 'inland' portion ends at Green River park/golf course, but there is a way to get through the area beyond that and back on the portion of the SART in Riverside County. The SGRT goes inland up to Irwindale and (someone correct me if wrong) the Azusa area at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains. I don't know how far the LART goes inland, at least to the Cahuenga (sp?) gap (Griffith Park/Glendale area).
Likes For skidder:
Old 01-04-24, 05:05 PM
ui127

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
It is kind of boring, but it'll take you by Angel Stadium and the Honda Center and some interesting neighborhoods. The 'inland' portion ends at Green River park/golf course, but there is a way to get through the area beyond that and back on the portion of the SART in Riverside County. The SGRT goes inland up to Irwindale and (someone correct me if wrong) the Azusa area at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains. I don't know how far the LART goes inland, at least to the Cahuenga (sp?) gap (Griffith Park/Glendale area).
Good options for sure. Have you ridden all of SART/SGRT/LART? Got a favorite or a favorite starting point?
Old 01-04-24, 06:04 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
If one is looking to complete a big loop and include the SGRT, SART and PCH, here is a connector route that I have ridden several times to use some rolling hills and gentle climbs of La Habra Heights and Whittier Hills to make it interesting and relieve the boredom of the flats. My preference is to connect from the SART to the SGRT.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/45293350
Old 01-05-24, 02:44 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by ui127
Good options for sure. Have you ridden all of SART/SGRT/LART? Got a favorite or a favorite starting point?
Never ridden the entire length of any of them. My usual ride on the closest one, the SART, is from the beach up to Katella/Angel Stadium/Amtrak station then back, 26 mile RT; the section from Katella up to Green River is the really boring part!. I can't remember how far I've gone up the SGRT, but I'd start in Seal Beach and go inland for 45 min/1 hour then turn around. The LART I've only been on a very few times and just the section south of the 405 freeway, a few times when doing a bike tour down the coast, or when traversing from PV back over to Long Beach. The section from the 405 south to Long Beach downtown area is OK, just that the areas off of it are pretty sketchy.
Old 01-06-24, 10:03 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
On the safe side: even if you ride solo on a bright weekend afternoon day, the river trails are not like street riding. There are pro's and con's.

Boring: bring some music with you and that will take the edge off the long straight-aways.

Muggings: oh yeah, as Forrest Gump says "sh-** happens".
Old 01-09-24, 10:02 AM
folmonty 

Bikes: Specialized Stump Jumper (1st yr original 1981), Santana sovereign, Bike Friday NWT, Merlin, Trek Rail 7, YT Szepter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
SART ups and downs

The SART is nice to avoid car traffic but as mentioned here by many there are times it's extremely boring. Relentless headwinds can make it quite droney. In the past few of weeks I've been staying in OC have seen some crazy ebike and even motorcycle antics that are problematic. Homeless situation seems to be escalating one again which is no surprise. Primarily I like to use it as a connector to other routes. Back in the 80's 90's when we lived in Riverside area it was a great ride to Huntington or Newport Bch. Love to see families riding together but it's not a good place for young children unless strictly supervised. Just hope that whatever city agencies are responsible for keeping the SART clear, open and devoid of squatters stays on it.
Old 01-10-24, 09:27 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by folmonty
Homeless situation seems to be escalating one again which is no surprise. Just hope that whatever city agencies are responsible for keeping the SART clear, open and devoid of squatters stays on it.
I was on the SART from the Beach to Katella and there didn't seem to be much of a homeless problem. Actually, the last 2 or 3 times I have been on it there has been a police presence. The best part of the SART is getting on it at the beach in the late afternoon when there's a huge onshore wind blowing. Those tailwinds can be awesome.
Old 01-22-24, 05:35 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
To me, SART will always be a monument. As a 16-year old, I made up my mind that I was going to ride my bicycle (from Walnut, CA) to the beach. (Neither the internet nor parental supervision had been invented.)
I pedalled my BMX bike (mostly standing, because of the plastic seat) on Valley View Blvd, stoplight by stoplight by stoplight....) Despite my youthful exuberance, I was utterly exhausted and sore when I got back home. It was deep into the dark hours, but long before cellphones and I was afraid I was so busted. I was trying to quality for the varsity swim team at my school about that time, but I was so weak for WEEKS after this. Haha.
Then I got a ten-speed and my friend Ronnie (a few years older, much cooler, and with a much, much sweeter Raleigh ten-speed, with the metal things on his toes) showed me the way to SART.
After Ronnie, SART became my Happy Place. I always rode through the Anaheim Angel's parking lot, neath the colossal "A" as a superstitious ceremony to thwart flat tires.
I never had a cool jersey, and usually rode bare-chested with the latest Oakley sunglasses. One time I blacked out at a park along SART and a little kid woke me up saying, "Is 'Oakey' your name? Cause that the name on your glasses." (We're talking Factory Pilots, long before the Blades).
I've run into MrBeanz and his bride on SART. What an awesome coincidence and what an awesome day!
I've ridden SART hundreds of times.
I've taken my bike on the train to the Anaheim Stadium AMTRAK stop (and of course, passed neath the colossal A) and ridden back to my Carlsbad home a few times.
I've navigated the homeless encampments that gathered round SART back in the day. (Are they still there?)

SART is like life. It can be ugly at times, but ultimately it is a good thing. I rode up to the Northern end of SART once. (like up around Carbon Canyon or some tish?)
SART is good, especially in the age of texting drivers. Very good. Even better than SGRT, which is also good. They both beat the hell out of BMXing on Valley View Blvd.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 01-22-24, 09:54 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I was on the SART from the Beach to Katella and there didn't seem to be much of a homeless problem. Actually, the last 2 or 3 times I have been on it there has been a police presence. The best part of the SART is getting on it at the beach in the late afternoon when there's a huge onshore wind blowing. Those tailwinds can be awesome.
When I lived in Costa Mesa the worst part about riding SART out past Anaheim was battling headwinds all the way home. Sometimes I’d get off the trail early and ride the regular streets home.
Old 01-23-24, 03:51 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Speaking of Katella, does anyone else remember anchorman and smallcraft pilot Hal Fishman on KTLA, channel 5?
I always wondered if the street was named after the station or vice-versa.

Last edited by calamarichris; 01-23-24 at 03:58 AM.
Old 01-23-24, 07:13 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Speaking of Katella, does anyone else remember anchorman and smallcraft pilot Hal Fishman on KTLA, channel 5?
I always wondered if the street was named after the station or vice-versa.

Katella was named after the daughters 'Kate' and 'Ella' of the original farmer/landowner, a guy named Mr. Rea. A lot of streets in Orange County were named like that. I knew a guy named McFadden, the Orange County street named McFadden was named after his grandfather who was a rancher in early Orange County.
Old 01-23-24, 07:26 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Katella was named after the daughters 'Kate' and 'Ella' of the original farmer/landowner, a guy named Mr. Rea. A lot of streets in Orange County were named like that. I knew a guy named McFadden, the Orange County street named McFadden was named after his grandfather who was a rancher in early Orange County.
That's awesome to know. Thank you!
When I was younger, we used to vacation up at Lake Almanor, which I later found out was named after the engineer's daughters: Alice, Mary, and Noreen.

I've also been to both Buena Vistas (Good Views for those of you who don't "habla" Chris Farley). In Colorado, even the Spanish-speakers pronounce it "Buwna Veesta" which was hilarious to me at first.

So it's most likely another weird coincidence then. THANK YOU.
Old 01-23-24, 08:01 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

When I was younger, we used to vacation up at Lake Almanor, which I later found out was named after the engineer's daughters: Alice, Mary, and Noreen.

I've also been to both Buena Vistas (Good Views for those of you who don't "habla" Chris Farley). In Colorado, even the Spanish-speakers pronounce it "Buwna Veesta" which was hilarious to me at first.

IF you're familiar with the Costa Mesa/Fountain Valley/Huntington Beach area, a lot of streets that intersect the SART were named after former residents of note - Slater Ave, Talbert Ave, MacArthur Blvd, Banning Street, Hamilton Ave, Edwards Street, Gisler Ave, etc. The most famous has to be Segerstrom, named after the family that had a big farming operation in the north end of Costa Mesa. The area is now home to the famous high-end South Coast Plaza shopping center and the Segerstrom Center for the Performing Arts. And the City of Irvine - named after a rancher/farmer who formerly owned the land
Old 01-23-24, 08:02 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

IF you're familiar with the Costa Mesa/Fountain Valley/Huntington Beach area, a lot of streets were named after former residents of note - Slater Ave, Talbert Ave, MacArthur Blvd, Banning Street, Hamilton Ave, Edwards Street, Gisler Ave, etc. The most famous has to be Segerstrom, named after the family that had a big farming operation in the north end of Costa Mesa. The area is now home to the famous high-end South Coast Plaza shopping center and the Segerstrom Center for the Performing Arts. And the City of Irvine - named after a rancher/farmer who formerly owned the land
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-17-24, 07:09 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I rode SART for the first time yesterday (on a group ride) from Imperial Highway down to Angels Stadium yesterday morning and can confirm that the ride is nice but boring.
Old 03-19-24, 08:10 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
IF you're familiar with the Costa Mesa/Fountain Valley/Huntington Beach area, a lot of streets were named after former residents of note - Slater Ave, Talbert Ave, MacArthur Blvd, Banning Street, Hamilton Ave, Edwards Street, Gisler Ave, etc. The most famous has to be Segerstrom, named after the family that had a big farming operation in the north end of Costa Mesa. The area is now home to the famous high-end South Coast Plaza shopping center and the Segerstrom Center for the Performing Arts. And the City of Irvine - named after a rancher/farmer who formerly owned the land
Segerstrom definitely and even a high school named after him. A little different with Roy Sakioka, the Japanese-American who was interned during WWI and owned land adjacent to the Segerstrom's. I think there is a street named after him too.