Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Snob NY (Eben Weiss) on carbon

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Snob NY (Eben Weiss) on carbon

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-24, 11:47 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I have never stated it is solely a carbon fiber problem, but the fact remains that it is a larger concern with carbon bikes due to multiple factors including how carbon composites can be built strong and light by putting material at major stress point and not much material at other point and due to the failure mode of carbon once the integrity of the composite is compromised. (I will get crap for this but: a good if not exactly equal example is of a barely ripe banana, which is pretty hard to pull open to skin from the stem, but is you break the integrity of the skin with a little nick of a knife it opens a lot easier)
A "fact"? a banana analogy? ooookaaaay.

I don't hate carbon, I looked into a bunch for carbon before I decided to go custom for a variety of reasons.

If you ride to the max hard and fast and take advantage of it super,
You don't hate it, I get that. But you obviously feel it's inferior for anything that's not riding hard and fast. As many have explained many times, riding hard and fast is not the only reason to enjoy a carbon fiber bike.

but know that you have to take a bit more care is say you ride and errand with kids and have to lock up it up with other bikes and more clueless people (opp sorry I leaned my 80 pound e bike and it fell on your bike)
I take no more care with my CF bike than my light(ish) weight steel or aluminum bikes. Maaaaaybee, I am a little less careful with the titanium bikes, but I think my habits of being careful extend to everything I have, so really no difference. But I don't use them for what I think you're talking about. I don't have any pure beater or utility bikes although my old steel rigid mountain bike is pretty close. But I'm fairly careful with it too.

and bottom line there is a solution we should all be able to agree on N+1
Agree, but I'll go further: I think everyone should follow my example: at least one of each.
Old 02-13-24, 03:26 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I totally agree with your premise, but digital cameras are one consumer electronic where newer is significantly better. My Canon SLR was high-end 15 or 20 years ago, but it straight up can't do what even modern consumer cameras can do - particularly in the areas of dynamic range and signal/noise ratio. For non-photographers, that means that my camera can't capture details in black and white at the same time (like at a wedding) or take quality pictures in low light conditions.
My point was that they are still functional after 20 years. I happen to own the first Canon digital SLR from around 2002 and it still works fine and takes pretty good photos. I have a couple of newer cameras too and of course they are superior. But my newest is still around 10 years old and very capable. Things tend to improve (especially electronics) over that timescale. I’m sure electronic shifting will also improve over the next 20 years, but it’s a pretty simple device in the world of electronics. Certainly nothing to be afraid of!
Old 02-13-24, 10:27 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
My point was that they are still functional after 20 years. I happen to own the first Canon digital SLR from around 2002 and it still works fine and takes pretty good photos. I have a couple of newer cameras too and of course they are superior. But my newest is still around 10 years old and very capable. Things tend to improve (especially electronics) over that timescale. I’m sure electronic shifting will also improve over the next 20 years, but it’s a pretty simple device in the world of electronics. Certainly nothing to be afraid of!
As far as I know, there are no parts in a digital camera that wear out, so there’s little need to worry about finding replacement parts.

I don’t think you can say the same about the moving bits of a bike’s drive train. Whether it’s electrical or mechanical. Things that move wear out.
Old 02-13-24, 10:37 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
As far as I know, there are no parts in a digital camera that wear out, so there’s little need to worry about finding replacement parts.

I don’t think you can say the same about the moving bits of a bike’s drive train. Whether it’s electrical or mechanical. Things that move wear out.
Agreed. But I don't think it's a reason to be afraid of electronic derailleurs. The concern of the poster was that the electronics would die prematurely.
Old 02-13-24, 10:38 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Digital SLRs have moving parts.