Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sugino XD600 Loose

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Sugino XD600 Loose

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 08:18 AM
jgcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sugino XD600 Loose

I put this crankset on my commuter and today the left crank started loose. The BB is Shimano UN55 (?) 115mm, and both should be JIS. Its been fine for a month or so of occasional commuting.

Did I just not tighten it down enough before? I did have my foot a little more outboard because my heel was nipping my kickstand, so I think this is what started it.
Old 09-23-15, 08:23 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
It probably just needs to be tightened down. Don't overdo it but it looks like you underdid it. I ran into a bike mechanic on a tour who told me that square taper cranksets are prone to failure. I don't think that's true but it's clear that a lot of people tighten them down properly.

Be careful; if you run that crank arm loose, you're likely to ruin it.
Old 09-23-15, 08:31 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The recommended tightening torque for square taper cranks (350 to 450 inch-pounds) is a LOT tighter than most new mechanics realize and far more than a typical 8 mm allen key can provide. A hex bit in a torque wrench is really recommended. Assuming you didn't torque it properly you were on borrowed time and it picked now to finally come loose.

As noted, if you rode with the arm loose for any real distance you may have distorted the arm's square hole and it will never be right again.
Old 09-23-15, 08:50 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Every amateur mechanic has undertightened a square taper crank at some point. In my experience (yes, I did it too...) once you feel it loose the arm is ruined and needs to be replaced. It only takes a little movement to ruin the tapers. Your best bet now is to re-install it with as much force as you possibly can and start shopping for a new crankset.

For a much better and detailed explanation, see here: Installing Cranks by Jobst Brandt

Originally Posted by bikemig
I ran into a bike mechanic on a tour who told me that square taper cranksets are prone to failure. I don't think that's true but it's clear that a lot of people tighten them down properly.
That mechanic was wrong, but lots of cranks do get ruined from undertightening. Installed properly, a square taper crank will be good forever or until the bottom bracket needs servicing/replacement.
Old 09-23-15, 09:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
It probably just needs to be tightened down. Don't overdo it but it looks like you underdid it. I ran into a bike mechanic on a tour who told me that square taper cranksets are prone to failure. I don't think that's true but it's clear that a lot of people tighten them down properly.

Be careful; if you run that crank arm loose, you're likely to ruin it.
I wouldn't say that a square taper is more prone to failure but they are more prone to damage if they aren't properly installed. An ISIS, Octalink or external bear crank won't round out on the spindle if slightly loose and ridden like a square taper will.

When I used square taper, I always torqued my bolts to the same torque as HillRider suggests. I never had problems with an arm coming loose. But I've seen many poorly torqued and ruined square taper cranks. Even a moderate amount of riding on a loose crank will ruin it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-23-15, 09:06 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,526 Times in 2,864 Posts
Always use a torque wrench on a square taper.
Learned that the hard way.