Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What dictates chainline?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What dictates chainline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-16, 09:41 AM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
What dictates chainline?

Quick question:

On older 3 piece crank/bb setups, what dictates your chain line? The spindle length, the crank, or both?

Basically, if an mtb is spec'd with 'xx' chain line using 'xx' bb and a mountain double crank. If I put say a road double on it, would chainline be the same or different?

Thanks.
Old 12-11-16, 09:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
43.5 for doubles. Triple is usually a little wider than double to offset the rings right and put the middle ring in the best location. Mountain bike chain line is usually a little wider than road to match the wider rear. It's not perfectly precise for a square taper BB because the taper and the torque on the crank bolt might not be exactly the same from one set of parts to another. If you want to, you can move it inward with a shorter BB. You need to make sure the rings don't hit the frame but since they're smaller they may not. It's not especially crucial on a derailleur bike. Rings have stayed at about the same location over the years while the spacing at the rear has changed a lot to allow for more speeds.

Here's a good article Chainline Concepts | Park Tool

This page has a lot of info for individual crankset models though it's been headed out of date
Sheldon Brown's Bottom Bracket Size Database
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 12-11-16 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-11-16, 09:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In General, Measure... It's a line parallel to the center line of the Bike .. the rear cluster of cogs, be it a cassette a freewheel , or just 1 cog has a center line .

how far is it from the center line running thru the bike ?

Odd number of cogs, its the middle one, even number, its the space between the 2 most centered ones .

carry that line, parallel to CL, forward to the crank, it's again the middle cog on a triple , or the space between the 2 chainrings on a double .

so middle chainring of a triple is in line with the middle, say 3rd of 5 cogs on a freewheel.

chain flexes sideways an equal amount to the 1st and 5th cog .. because of that alignment.

Old 12-11-16, 10:00 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
you always shoot for the same chainline, so changing from a triple to a road double requires a bottom bracket swap as well to maintain the same chainline.
Old 12-11-16, 11:58 AM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Both. A specific crank has a recommended BB width to achieve the normal chainline. Older cranks had quite wide BBs. Modern cranks typically use narrower BBs. You should know the model of the crank and you can lookup the BB width. Shimano has a doc, some others can be harder to find.
Old 12-11-16, 12:54 PM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Think I have it figured out.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-11-16, 01:33 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
The idea behind a chain line is to have every thing "centered" on average, so the chain runs straight.
Since this only occurs on 0 to 3 possible ring/cog combinations, don't obsess too much if you're a couple mm off of "perfect".
I actually run a slightly wider chain line because I tend to use the outer (smaller) cogs more than the inner cogs.
Old 12-11-16, 05:34 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
The idea behind a chain line is to have every thing "centered" on average, so the chain runs straight.
Since this only occurs on 0 to 3 possible ring/cog combinations, don't obsess too much if you're a couple mm off of "perfect".
I actually run a slightly wider chain line because I tend to use the outer (smaller) cogs more than the inner cogs.
Think about it this way:

Look at your rear wheel. The cassette is located by the locknut and the right dropout. Now direct your attention inward and measure from the center of your cassette to the centerline of your bicycle's main frame. That's your ideal chainline.

If you have a choice, choose a crankset and BB spindle length that comes close but I wouldn't obsess if it turns out to be a few mm off.
Old 12-11-16, 05:47 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
[QUOTE=Shinkers;19244616]Quick question:

On older 3 piece crank/bb setups, what dictates your chain line? The spindle length, the crank, or both?

....QUOTE]

Both.

Obviously a longer spindle will push the crank out, but that's only half the story.

Over the years they've moved the hub of the crank arm inward compared to the chainring position. This was done to shorten spindles and make for a stronger, stiffer, yet lighter system.

Unfortunately, that means that if you are mixing spindles and cranks, you risk the chainring position (chainline) being more inboard or outboard than you expect.

I wish there were a simple way short of trial and error to predict chainline of non-spec combinations, but so far not. Yeas ago when this started, I cut a worn spindle in half and mounted it on a base. Then I could mount a crank and measure from chainring to table, and use that to know which spindle would put the rings where I wanted them.

Short of that, simply push the crank onto a spindle, measure chainline, then add/subtract spindle RH length to have it end up on target.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.