Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Which bike should I buy?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Which bike should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 07:35 PM
Buckaroo12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which bike should I buy?

I知 68 year old man with a bad foot and knee. I知 looking for a dual sport type ebike. I知 260 lbs and 6 foot 4. I am an avid motorcycle rider but I want to get into ebikes. I like fat tire tough off road bikes with lots of power. I want to haul my ebike behind my 5th wheel and am not concerned about $1500 Rad vs $3500 Evelo I just want the best in that range. Any advise will be appreciated!
Old 10-07-17, 08:40 PM
dilkes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buckaroo12
I知 68 year old man with a bad foot and knee. I知 looking for a dual sport type ebike. I知 260 lbs and 6 foot 4. I am an avid motorcycle rider but I want to get into ebikes. I like fat tire tough off road bikes with lots of power. I want to haul my ebike behind my 5th wheel and am not concerned about $1500 Rad vs $3500 Evelo I just want the best in that range. Any advise will be appreciated!
You might have a look at the Juggernauts from Biktrix.
https://electricbikereview.com/forum...1/#post-117715

He has quite a few flavors of the Juggernaut, most using the well-regarded and powerful mid-drive Bafang motors.
https://www.biktrix.com/collections/bikes/Fat-Bikes
Old 10-07-17, 09:18 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
I guess first you have to determine whether you want hub, or mid drive technology (and of course advantages and disadvantages to both)Thats a basic, initial decison regarding ebikes. Once you make THAT decision you move on the next step...
Old 10-08-17, 03:10 PM
merckx_rider
OUTLAW BIKER

Bikes: Eddy Merckx team 7-11 Corsa Extra Full Dura Ace, 2015 Equalizer Electric Fat Tire Bike

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a fat tire ebike - I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I'd ride anything else ever again...

Once you go FAT
You never go back.....

I also ride MC's the ebike is ALMOST as fun.
No cops at least.

My bike is a 500 watt but I want a 750 watt now.

I'm thinking of testing out a mid drive since you can use the gears, but the "weak link" is literally the chain in that system. Since the motor power goes thru the bikes drive train.

The hub motor system works great too. The compromise is take off torque and heavy weight hill climbing.
I like the hub system because the bike is still very rideable without power, it's just heavy with the extra wt of the battery and motor.

I'm 6' 250 - so almost the same load. My bike takes me up most big hills no problem - about 10-15mph with me not pedaling - IF I do pedal, the bike flies up the hill at almost 20. I figure if 500 watt is good 750 must be better... Am I right**********??

At this point - check out your local shops and test ride everything!! I do mean everything.
Old 10-09-17, 10:08 AM
tinasdude13

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mid drive fatty a lot of fun. Get at least a hardtail. Or get a bike that you can put a suspension fork on. Take a look at Lunacycle dot com / fat-tire/. They have several fat bike offerings. Get one with the ludicrous version mid drive. Make sure the battery that comes with it can unlock the full potential of the motor. Some batteries are not capable of enough continuous amps to do this. Happy to answer any questions. I have been thru this learning curve. 65 yo and love riding a 50 amp mid drive fatty!
Old 10-09-17, 03:16 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 193 Posts
Many manufacturers try to adhere to the California code for street legal ebikes. Luna, good for them, will sell you an off road ebike. I think one of their 1000W BBSHD's will satisfy someone who wants power.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 10-09-17 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 10:30 AM
RockstarBruski

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tinasdude13
Mid drive fatty a lot of fun. Get at least a hardtail. Or get a bike that you can put a suspension fork on. Take a look at Lunacycle dot com / fat-tire/. They have several fat bike offerings. Get one with the ludicrous version mid drive. Make sure the battery that comes with it can unlock the full potential of the motor. Some batteries are not capable of enough continuous amps to do this. Happy to answer any questions. I have been thru this learning curve. 65 yo and love riding a 50 amp mid drive fatty!
Tinasdude - please post a pic of your efatbike and list the specs!
Old 10-17-17, 06:56 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How fast, how far, how rough the terrain, how much pedaling intended, is weight an issue, how familiar are you with chain/gearset repairs?

You get fast, OR far, or both but Very heavy and expensive, mid-drive means more maintenance and lots of shifting, lighter weight generally means less durability, trade-offs everywhere. Describing your goals in relation to the above terms will help narrow down the possibilities.

Is sale price your only criteria for choosing a vendor, or would you prefer to avoid one who pays people to hype his products all over the internet, lies about what he sells, avoids warranty service, and engages in criminal harassment against those who reveal his business practices?
Old 10-19-17, 09:34 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
If you want to compare bikes, go to an e-bike expo. Next one in in Philadelphia, PA. Since you dont have your location listed I have no idea if that area is convenient for you.

-SP
Old 10-20-17, 02:59 PM
TForan

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra and it's far beyond my expectations. Highly recommeded and the owner is the best ! Call and talk to Roshan.