Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

When will Shimano GRX components REALLY be available for sale as components?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.
View Poll Results: In what month will all Shimano GRX components first be available to the public?
August, 2019 -- It's what they said.
0%
September, 2019 -- It's also what they said.
14.29%
October, 2019
0%
November, 2019 -- in time for the holidays!
0%
December, 2019 -- I said ALL of them. Not just cable.
0%
January, 2020
0%
February, 2020 -- in time for the start of gravel season.
35.71%
March, 2020
21.43%
April, 2020
0%
NEVER! It's vaporware and/or will be overcome by Shimano 12-speed.
28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 10:49 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

Shimano is infamous for "introducing" product and attaching wildly optimistic delivery dates. So far, I've seen media reports saying that the cable and Di2 groupsets for GRX will first be available in August, 2019 . . . unless it's September, 2019. (Waffling already?) For us long-term Shimano observers . . . we know better. (The complete Ultegra Di2 Disc groupset wasn't available for public purchase as components until 14 months after "introduction.") Let's take a poll. What month do you believe customers will be able to buy all the cable and Di2 GRX components (except the auxiliary brake lever) for the first time?
Old 05-08-19, 02:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10968 Post(s)
Liked 7,494 Times in 4,190 Posts
Feb 2020 in terms of being able to 1-off buy any of the listed components.
Old 05-08-19, 08:17 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I'll also go with February to get all the one off bits & bobs. We'll see it as OEM on the "big 3" well before Christmas but the parts buyers will be left high & dry till 2020.
Old 05-08-19, 09:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Luckily a lot of this new line just isnt needed by many cyclists.

The 1x setup will be appreciated by those who find 1x to be a good setup. So that's gonna be a pain to wait for if someone is wanting Shimano 1x for gravel.

But at this point, the rest of gravel riders have been able to more than adequately create drivetrains that are quality and fit needs.

- Praxis cranksets with 32t small rings shift just as well as shimano.
- GS read derailleurs shift 36t cassettes without issue and can handle larger cogs with some adjusting.
- paved road shifters work perfectly fine on gravel roads.
- the wheelset options for gravel are seemingly endless.

Perhaps I am underestimating the 2.5mm more space the new FD and crankset employ.
At the same time, my gravel bike has 430mm chainstays, can fit up to 50mm tires, and even a 36t small ring fits fine. An extra 2.5mm on top of that? I guess there are designs that can use such a setup, but the need fosmr such clearance sure seems to be the opposite of where gravel cranksets are trending- which is smaller chain rings.

But hey- this will help fill some gaps in the aftermarket for sure. Its just that I think those gaps are smaller than ever at this point since other brands and products have largely filled what shimano was missing
Old 05-09-19, 06:59 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Luckily a lot of this new line just isnt needed by many cyclists.

But at this point, the rest of gravel riders have been able to more than adequately create drivetrains that are quality and fit needs.

- paved road shifters work perfectly fine on gravel roads.
- the wheelset options for gravel are seemingly endless.
I don't know.

The GRX progressive brake levers are the most interesting part of the whole lineup.

And the GRX wheels will be $420 list which isn't a bad deal at all for a 21.5 internal width Shimano wheel.

The fact that something isn't needed doesn't mean people won't want it or buy it. I'd like to get my hands on the shifters/levers.

-Tim-
Old 05-09-19, 07:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know.

The GRX progressive brake levers are the most interesting part of the whole lineup.

And the GRX wheels will be $420 list which isn't a bad deal at all for a 21.5 internal width Shimano wheel.

The fact that something isn't needed doesn't mean people won't want it or buy it. I'd like to get my hands on the shifters/levers.

-Tim-
When I said its lucky this stuff isnt needed, i meant that in the context of the thread's topic- availability. I agree that even though something isnt needed, that doesnt mean people wont want it or buy it.
I was simply saying that in spite of the assumed delay for when these 1-off parts become available to consumers, consumers have great options currently available that address the same things Shimano intends to address.

I dont know what progressive brake levers are...do you mean progressive as in the new levers are an improvement over current levers(so progress)? From what Ive read- the new levers pivot at a different point, have a different shaped hood, and have grippy levers(apparently regular ones slip for people?).
Old 05-09-19, 10:19 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My guess is it will appear the same week as the Bontrager gravel-specific helmets.
Old 05-09-19, 10:24 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
For me, the take away from this thread was highlighting the fact that in the cycling world when something is "announced" and is "readily available" are two very different things.

Having worked at a bike shop for several years, I can tell you that the day (sometimes within the hour) of something being announced the shop was fielding inquiries or people were asking about pricing. Sometimes those same people would also about availability but many of them just assumed it was available within a very short period of time (read: a week or two).

For those more in tune with this how this works, we all know that between May 1st - July 4th, the brands and companies are going to really ramp up the unveils and announcements on various stuff. Especially in the road market around the TDF and the early shoppers for 'cross season.

But I can't tell you how many times I've logged into a dealer portal, seen the brand new releases and then I've seen availability dates 3-4+ months later. It completely kills the buzz for the shop.

Don't even get me started on how difficult it is to get "shop copies" of stuff. I've never wrapped my head around why manufacturers don't put more effort into making stuff available for shop employees or to have a demo bike available in m/l like size ASAP. You want us evangelizing it, not telling you... "What I read on Bikeradar..." or what have you.
Old 05-09-19, 11:26 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
For me, the take away from this thread was highlighting the fact that in the cycling world when something is "announced" and is "readily available" are two very different things.

Having worked at a bike shop for several years, I can tell you that the day (sometimes within the hour) of something being announced the shop was fielding inquiries or people were asking about pricing. Sometimes those same people would also about availability but many of them just assumed it was available within a very short period of time (read: a week or two).

For those more in tune with this how this works, we all know that between May 1st - July 4th, the brands and companies are going to really ramp up the unveils and announcements on various stuff. Especially in the road market around the TDF and the early shoppers for 'cross season.

But I can't tell you how many times I've logged into a dealer portal, seen the brand new releases and then I've seen availability dates 3-4+ months later. It completely kills the buzz for the shop.

Don't even get me started on how difficult it is to get "shop copies" of stuff. I've never wrapped my head around why manufacturers don't put more effort into making stuff available for shop employees or to have a demo bike available in m/l like size ASAP. You want us evangelizing it, not telling you... "What I read on Bikeradar..." or what have you.
That tends to be more common with road stuff vs mtb. For the most part whenever an mtb brand announces a new bike it's available that same day. Same thing with the components. When rockshox announced their new fork lineup for 2020 it was basically available to order that same day along with axs eagle. The road stuff always takes forever to come out. I think it maybe has to do with the mtb market being much more competitive and lots more options so if you don't have your stuff out right away people forget about you because they can just go with something else.
Old 05-09-19, 12:27 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Yes, I think the road bike industry would be much better served announcing the product once it's in the pipeline and available for sale to individuals (or, at the very least, when it's available on OEM bikes for purchase). What's the point of establishing momentum with a big product announcement if you're going to let the momentum die in the six, eight, ten months between announcement date and the date customers can actually buy it?

Granted, the word may get out on the product before it becomes available -- and there's value in controlling the announcement -- but under the current scheduling, the availability of the product is anti-climactic. All feeding frenzy momentum is long dead by then.
Likes For FlashBazbo:
Old 05-09-19, 03:56 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know.

-Tim-
You can find DT Swiss C 1800 22.5 int / 26 ext for about $325 now and some Stans Grail builds for the same price. I'm sure the Shimano's will be discounted, but it's not a break through price.

I'm liking the crank styling and configuration, along with the clutched 2x RDs.