Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If you will lie about something small.... A Salsa Story

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

If you will lie about something small.... A Salsa Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-23, 11:15 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Some Clase Azul Plata Tequila if you please.
Nothing but the best for Bike Forums.

Old 07-28-23, 11:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Anybody need anything while I'm up?

Can you pee for me while you're up?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-28-23, 11:27 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Can you pee for me while you're up?
Already did.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-28-23, 11:32 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Nothing but the best for Bike Forums.

https://www.epgrandetequila.com/

Blanco = smooth
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 07-28-23, 11:47 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Look at the horrible handlebar position on that bike! The soulless corporate manufacturer must be liars and cheaters!
Old 07-28-23, 04:57 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts

Is it giving ya a nice ride?

If so then BRAVO!

That's what counts.

Old 07-28-23, 05:41 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

Is it giving ya a nice ride?

If so then BRAVO!

That's what counts.

My favorite bike that I have owned......

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Likes For mr,grumpy:
Old 07-28-23, 07:39 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
The ONLY thing I didn't change or fix on my last new bike is the crank. Just what this cranky thread needs. LOL hahahahaah
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 07-28-23, 08:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
My favorite bike that I have owned......
So you should have learned that soulless corporations are good for something.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-29-23, 04:27 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
I often wonder if threads like this result in the OP having a moment of realization and adjustment. Or, as my grandma used to say, "In a world that can't decide between Coke or Pepsi, what are the chances everyone in it is working against YOU?".
Old 07-29-23, 06:13 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by nomadmax
I often wonder if threads like this result in the OP having a moment of realization and adjustment. Or, as my grandma used to say, "In a world that can't decide between Coke or Pepsi, what are the chances everyone in it is working against YOU?".
Because I can't give this more than one Like.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-29-23, 09:10 PM
mr,grumpy 

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I guess that depends on what part of the OP's story you're focused on. If you are focused on the back story, the mostly non-pertenant part, then yea. I learned that unlike any other manufactured product, bicycles are designed to not be correctly assembled from the factory. I learned that because high-end bicycles in the 1970s came completely as parts, it is acceptable for a 90% pre-assembled mid range bike to simply fall apart when ridden and it is entirely the fault of the shop selling the bike. Much like it would fall on the kid selling refrigerators at Best Buy should you make it nome, plug it in , and it exploded.
OP also learned that, as delivered from the factory, some bikes are designed to have the finish destroyed by other parts go the bike, all working in seamless harmony, EXACTLY the way that the engineers who designed it envisioned.

However, if you focus on the fact that the company's official position is that they NEVER include ANY of the items that MY bike came equipped with two of, then no. No change. If they will lie abut soothing as trivial as clear stickers, you can bet your ass that they will like about important things like child slave labor and how they dispose of their hazardous waste.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
Old 07-29-23, 09:13 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12782 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
I guess that depends on what part of the OP's story you're focused on. If you are focused on the back story, the mostly non-pertenant part, then yea. I learned that unlike any other manufactured product
Dang, never been to Ikea? Bought a push mower? Bought a grill?

When it comes to larger items, hardly anything arrives from China ready-to-use.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-29-23, 09:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12782 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
However, if you focus on the fact that the company's official position is that they NEVER include ANY of the items that MY bike came equipped with two of, then no. No change. If they will lie abut soothing as trivial as clear stickers, you can bet your ass that they will like about important things like child slave labor and how they dispose of their hazardous waste.
Nobody is lying about the chainstay and downtube protectors, it's just a minor miscommunication between you two. Since you were talking about cable housing rub, the guy on the phone probably didn't think you were talking about protective film on the downtube and chainstay

You should be looking at those in a positive light. If they don't give anyone else chainstay or downtube protection films, you got them free of charge!
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-29-23, 09:42 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Dang, never been to Ikea? Bought a push mower? Bought a grill?

When it comes to larger items, hardly anything arrives from China ready-to-use.
A motorcycle? Shipped in a crate. Final setup done by a dealer.

Once again, it was a loose fastener. A brake lever. Not so loose that is was noticeable when the OP test rode when he picked it up, but on a longer ride it slipped. We are talking about something that can be taken care of in a matter of a minute or two on the side of the road if necessary by anyone which is able to master the ability of trying shoes, or opening a bottle of water, then replacing the cap and tightening it.

This was a minor issue the OP blamed the company for lying about when they said the bike shop assembled the bike. Which they did.

Shoes, most come with the laces not laced. TV, you have to attach the foot it stands on. Camera, you have to attach the strap. Refrigerator, you have to adjust it for level, and you have to remove packing and put the drawers in place, and sometime swap the door hinge from one side to the other. Computers, you have to go through the initial setup. Of course the OP didn't have to do anything, the bike shop did the assembly, as is always the case with a new bike, unless you buy it online and assemble it yourself. So Salsa did not lie, which is the basis for this entire thread.

So, the OP now had a bike that he says is the best bike he ever owned, but he believes Salsa lied, about something they did not lie about, so they didn't lie. So another drama filled bike forum post about a extremely minor issue, and I hate calling such a minor thing and issue. I am happy though that the OP has the best bike he ever owned. I shall remain slightly new bike jealous, and happy for the OP at the same time, and hope he truly enjoys his new bike.
Old 07-29-23, 10:00 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Your logic is pure nonsense. It's like arguing "If someone is willing to break the speed limit, you can bet your ass they will rob banks and murder their neighbors.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-29-23, 10:24 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Your logic is pure nonsense. It's like arguing "If someone is willing to break the speed limit, you can bet your ass they will rob banks and murder their neighbors.
Well, my neighbor's brother's boss had a math teacher whose second cousin twice removed had a friend whose mailman used to speed all the time while delivering the mail. They found out after he died that he had killed the couple next door and put them in a freezer in his basement. When they searched his house, they found $3 million that they traced back to a bank robbery that occurred 30 years before. Interestingly he died riding his bike down a steep hill when the brake lever on his new bike slipped.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-29-23, 10:33 PM
tomato coupe

Well, my neighbor's brother's boss had a math teacher whose second cousin twice removed had a friend whose mailman used to speed all the time while delivering the mail. They found out after he died that he had killed the couple next door and put them in a freezer in his basement. When they searched his house, they found $3 million that they traced back to a bank robbery that occurred 30 years before. Interestingly he died riding his bike down a steep hill when the brake lever on his new bike slipped.
I believe the parts about the murder, the bank robbery, and the untimely death while cycling, but you clearly made up the part about speeding -- everyone knows those mail trucks are incapable of breaking the speed limit.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-29-23, 10:38 PM
phughes

I believe the parts about the murder, the bank robbery, and the untimely death while cycling, but you clearly made up the part about speeding -- everyone knows those mail trucks are incapable of breaking the speed limit.
I just know what I was told by my neighbor's pool boy's mom's manicurist.
Old 07-29-23, 10:46 PM
mr,grumpy 

Once again, it was a loose fastener. A brake lever. Not so loose that is was noticeable when the OP test rode when he picked it up, but on a longer ride it slipped. We are talking about something that can be taken care of in a matter of a minute or two on the side of the road if necessary by anyone which is able to master the ability of trying shoes, or opening a bottle of water, then replacing the cap and tightening it.

This was a minor issue the OP blamed the company for lying about when they said the bike shop assembled the bike. Which they did.
This is utterly untrue. I never said that they "lied" about the fastener. Blamed some one els for their shoddy workmanship, yes. This was NOT the lie though. And, since the story was about the lie, not the incidents that led to the lie, you are perpetrating . logical fallacy to discredit my credibility and to steer the discussion away from the actual lie towards something else.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
Old 07-29-23, 10:48 PM
mr,grumpy 

It's called credibility and clearly you have none.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
Old 07-29-23, 10:49 PM
tomato coupe

It's called credibility and clearly you have none.
Seek professional help.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-29-23, 10:55 PM
phughes

This is utterly untrue. I never said that they "lied" about the fastener. Blamed some one els for their shoddy workmanship, yes. This was NOT the lie though. And, since the story was about the lie, not the incidents that led to the lie, you are perpetrating . logical fallacy to discredit my credibility and to steer the discussion away from the actual lie towards something else.
I went back and reread the original post. So you are saying they lied about the vinyl protectors? Okay, I stand corrected. There was so much drama regarding the brake lever I got it wrong. What you now need to do, is go back and investigate exactly who applied the vinyl protectors on you other bikes. Make sure it wasn't the... bike shop mechanic who assembled the bike. I suspect it was, even if Salsa provided the protector.

Seriously though, enjoy the new bike. We're taking pot shots here, but you have a new bike that you feel is the best bike you ever owned. I'm happy for you, and I mean that. Don't let the little stuff diminish your enjoyment.
Old 07-29-23, 11:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
They blamed someone else for shoddy workmanship? You mean they were completely honest about things? The shop you purchased it at and that built it up is the last line in the chain. If they didn't check over something it is ultimately on them. Yes ok Shimano or SRAM or Microshift or Campy made the lever and spec'd the bolts and yes a factory contracted by Salsa did initially building of the bike but in the end the song remains the same the shop was in the end the folks who should have checked things over one. There has to be someone to bottom line things and it cannot be the people at the start who won't ever see that bike again.

You are like that old character on the Family Guy television program "you're a big fat phony" over something inconsequential in that case playing the demo on a digital keyboard piano and having fun in your case over Salsa seeming to be a normal company not doing anything wrong. The lack of checking those bolts was an oversight on that shops part and Salsa doesn't install stickers or tape so not sure where the lying and deceit is coming from. You do realize your shop could have installed those stickers they do sometimes come with bikes I have had bikes come with them and installed them in a shop environment. I know you think Salsa is some big evil corporation out to get you but they aren't. They aren't a tiny company either but they don't need to lie to you and more than likely aren't lying.

I would be curious to hear Jared's hot take on this, I am sure he would be amused, I am amused it is quite funny that you are taking such extremes. You are trying to tell people that there is Carolina Reapers in the Salsa don't eat it when they made a nice fire roasted tomato and jalapeņo salsa that a wider range of people can enjoy not too spicy but not totally mild either but with some good flavor that could appeal to a decent range of people.

If you give a mouse a cookie, they will get a sugar high and then break into the cabinet and go shoot up the school and do drugs.
Old 07-30-23, 12:01 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
If they will lie abut soothing as trivial as clear stickers, you can bet your ass that they will like about important things like child slave labor and how they dispose of their hazardous waste.
Any company who is using child slave labor or poorly disposing of hazmat, will lie about it. Why would you assume otherwise? They will do this whether or not their customer service agents are perfectly honest or are scoundrels. The response you got from Jared (poor soul) has absolutely nothing to do with anything else.
Likes For retswerb:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.