Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Waxing Chain Just Trend or usefull?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-23, 05:22 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by lupo68288
Hello,
I'm currently thinking to wax my new bike (arroves in one month). Currently I only use Lube on all of my bikes, but I have heard, that waxing is better than lubing, because of the consumption of chains. It waxing really good or is it just a new trend and don't have any advantages? What are your experiences with waxing your chain and would you recommend it? And what chain wax do you use?
It is somewhat trendy. Chains do not last longer than a good lube but the chain, rings and cassette stays very clean and you're not covered with filth from chain lube if you have to touch the chain or rings.
Old 09-09-23, 08:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
The whole deal with Flat Earth is that it is a Lie.

I tried being a Flat Earther and the Earth didn't get flat. I still had to ride hills. So screw that.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-09-23, 11:19 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The whole deal with Flat Earth is that it is a Lie.

I tried being a Flat Earther and the Earth didn't get flat. I still had to ride hills. So screw that.
But when you're done, are you back where you started? What's your total net elevation change?
Old 09-10-23, 04:13 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
It is somewhat trendy. Chains do not last longer than a good lube but the chain, rings and cassette stays very clean and you're not covered with filth from chain lube if you have to touch the chain or rings.
Tests have shown that chains do actually last longer with wax, mainly because they stay cleaner as you have observed. At least in dry conditions. Wax tends not to perform so well in the wet.
Old 09-10-23, 07:27 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Another chain waxing thread. How adorable.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 09-10-23, 07:35 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Waxing solves all of that. It's super clean. I don't really care about longevity or a few phantom watts of horsepower or whatever other silly claims people want to make. I'm just happy to not have to scrub grime off of every metal part on my bike anymore.
If you don't care about that, why lube your chain at all? Just run it dry!
Old 09-10-23, 09:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
But when you're done, are you back where you started? What's your total net elevation change?
Doesn't matter. If the Earth is flat, it should be Flat ..... no elevations change.
Old 09-10-23, 10:10 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
In my experience, they actually do last quite a bit longer, under the conditions I ride at least. Anything other than wax under these conditions, the "filth" you mention becomes a grinding paste, and I was constantly replacing chain rings, cassettes and chains until I switched over to wax.
Old 09-10-23, 10:31 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Lombard
Pretend it is another e-bike thread.
Old 09-10-23, 12:05 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Just wait until we get a leg waxing thread.
Old 09-10-23, 10:34 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Time is money (I could be working and making money). Waxing is time consuming. My time is worth much more money than even the most expensive top level groupset. The cost of worn part replacement is simply not a concern compared to wasted time. For a $10k+ bike with a top end drivetrain, I get it. It's psychological, even if it makes no sense from a time/money calculation perspective. Any cheaper bike and it's a hard no.

I suppose I could pay someone else to wax my chain and come out ahead. They'd have to come to my house though because if I had to take my bike to a shop and pick it up later, there's that time wasted again.

In conclusion: no.

Last edited by Yan; 09-11-23 at 07:27 AM.
Likes For Yan:
Old 09-11-23, 05:10 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Pretend it is another e-bike thread.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Just wait until we get a leg waxing thread.
Electrolysis.

E-bikes and waxing had a child ....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-11-23, 06:29 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Yan
Time is money (I could be working and making money). Waxing is time consuming. My time is worth much more money than even the most expensive top level groupset. The cost of worn part replacement is simply not a concern compared to wasted time. For a $10k+ bike with a top end drivetrain, I get it. It's psychological, even if it makes no sense from a time/money calculation perspective. Any cheaper bike and it's a hard no.

I suppose I could pay someone else to wax my chain and come out ahead. They'd have to come to my house though because if I had to take my bike to a shop and pick it up later, there that time wasted again.

Not to mention that there appears to be no longevity advantage to hot waxing over using a good oil based lube. The only advantage to hot waxing appears to be keeping the drivetrain cleaner. It is certainly not worth the extra time and resources. And don't even go into the "grinding paste" theory. I get 8-10K miles out of my chains using oil based lubes every 500 miles. I have yet to see any hot waxers claim longer chain life.
Old 09-11-23, 06:52 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I have yet to see any hot waxers claim longer chain life.
Guess you didn't read post 79.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Tests have shown that chains do actually last longer with wax, mainly because they stay cleaner as you have observed.
Old 09-11-23, 08:40 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I have yet to see any hot waxers claim longer chain life.
Mine have at least tripled. More importantly, it has reduced wear on my cassettes and chainrings.

I recognize I ride under more extreme conditions than average, but it has made a huge difference. If it made no difference, I wouldn't bother.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-11-23, 09:37 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan

I suppose I could pay someone else to wax my chain and come out ahead. They'd have to come to my house though because if I had to take my bike to a shop and pick it up later, there's that time wasted again.

I really don't understand this take. I spend about the same amount of time with hot wax as I did with wiping/re-applying wet-lube.
The process basically is however long it takes to disconnect and remove a chain, and then put it back on. With quick links, this takes about 30 seconds. The rest of the process involves a chain sitting in a pot while it heats up and/or hanging on a hook drying.
Old 09-11-23, 09:52 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Tests have shown that chains do actually last longer with wax, mainly because they stay cleaner as you have observed.
I'm not so sure about that conclusion. Yes, waxed chains stay cleaner, but that may not fully explain why chains last longer.

The Zero Friction lubricant tests with no contamination still showed wax lubes greatly reduced wear over non-wax lubes.

Old 09-11-23, 09:57 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I'm not so sure about that conclusion. Yes, waxed chains stay cleaner, but that may not fully explain why chains last longer.

The Zero Friction lubricant tests with no contamination still showed wax lubes greatly reduced wear over non-wax lubes.
Well I did say "mainly", maybe I should have said "partly". One thing that is clear from those tests is that a dirty drivetrain greatly accelerates wear.
Old 09-11-23, 10:02 AM
Maelochs

Actual scientific testing---serious testing, not the anecdotal BS most internet users seem to think is "science"---indicates clearly that waxed chains last longer than unwaxed chains--and save a tiny bit of power as well.

The question is whether the trade-off for the very slightly more involved process is justified by the better performance and extend drive train length. That is entirely a personal matter, not subject to science---it is a matter of opinion. It is a matter of personal preference. Even speaking as a chain-waxer, I would say the benefits are so minimal that wet-lube, drip-wax, and cooked wax are all valid choices.

However, the facts have been amply demonstrated---the cleanest way to lubricate one's bike chain is wax and the longest-lasting chain 9and thus also drive train parts, by some not-yet-determined degree) and also the least power-robbing chain is one which has been properly waxed.
Old 09-11-23, 10:05 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I really don't understand this take. I spend about the same amount of time with hot wax as I did with wiping/re-applying wet-lube.
The process basically is however long it takes to disconnect and remove a chain, and then put it back on. With quick links, this takes about 30 seconds. The rest of the process involves a chain sitting in a pot while it heats up and/or hanging on a hook drying.
It is obvious he has just assumed waxing would require more work. I just use drip wax because I'm lazy. I don't earn any extra money with the time saved either. That time soon gets taken up by our kids and pets!

I also know a shop who offers a chain waxing service on rotation. They sell you 3 new, freshly waxed chains and you post them back after each use.
Old 09-11-23, 03:20 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by smd4
Guess you didn't read post 79.
I did. "Tests show blah, blah, blah". No, I have yet to hear from anybody here that they can get north of 10K miles using hot wax. I get anywhere between 8-10K miles out of my chains using oil based lubes. Furthermore, can you go 500 miles between hot waxings and get that kind of mileage?
Old 09-11-23, 03:25 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

I
i have to dispute this as well. Back when I used wax lubes, I was lucky to get 2-3K miles out of my chains. Now thst I use oil based lubes, I get 8-10K miles.
Old 09-11-23, 03:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Yes, waxed chains stay cleaner, but that may not fully explain why chains last longer.
Just a guess...Wax holds on to less grindy particles that contribute to wear of the chainy parts.

My observations of my own own bikes using wax-based drip lube, compared with my previous use of oil-based lubes, support this conclusion. I'm not a scientist, and I do not have a laboratory.
Old 09-11-23, 03:33 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Well I did say "mainly", maybe I should have said "partly". One thing that is clear from those tests is that a dirty drivetrain greatly accelerates wear.
I think this is the key, overlooked point.

With completely pristine, on-road conditions, the difference is probably negligible.

Under the conditions I ride (dry moon-dust, sand, grit), a non-wax lubricant quickly becomes a highly destructive grinding paste. There may be some formulations that minimize this, such as the ones that are designed to leave a dried teflon coating, but for those that I have tried, they still get dirty, and are much more of a PITA to work with (not to mention more toxic).
Old 09-11-23, 03:43 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm not a scientist, and I do not have a laboratory.
I am, and I do, but it would be hard to think of a less interesting experiment, except maybe testing different brands of tooth-paste.
Likes For Polaris OBark:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.