Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hanging bags from hood

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hanging bags from hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 01:23 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
yeah, lay off, you are way out of your element.

As I said before, race me or name a champion to race for you. Otherwise, **** off dude. Not much else to say, put up or shut up.
What does this have to do with anything? The bottom line is that you're taking food from a food bank -- food meant for people that are food insecure. The result of a bike challenge would not change that.
Old 11-14-23, 05:10 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
I like how the cheapest bike in the shop was a $3k carbon, quite an upgrade. Really hope this is true and Larry is such easy mark.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 11-14-23, 07:32 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Hey bro, going to say this once. Please stop. If you want smoke, you can race me or ask kj43 or someone to race me in your stead.
Sorry, I moved out of the area and I'm up in Contra Costa County now. Funny, all those times you turned your nose up at me and ignored my friendly waving to you and now you gonna call me out?
Likes For KJ43:
Old 11-14-23, 07:34 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
New debasements revealed with each thread. We can all be thankful we don't share Larry's "life" real or imagined.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 11-14-23, 08:29 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

When I was born the national debt was 5 trillion, now it’s 33 trillion.
You're the reason why our debt is out of control, too many people driving Bentleys while sucking on govt tit.
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 11-14-23, 08:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
Sorry, I moved out of the area and I'm up in Contra Costa County now. Funny, all those times you turned your nose up at me and ignored my friendly waving to you and now you gonna call me out?
No good deed goes unpunished.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-14-23, 09:32 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,970 Times in 4,692 Posts
This is my haul from the food bank near at the college near my house (it’s only for wealthy people, very far from the train station and on the top of a hill. Organic produce, etc etc, no homeless people.)
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Got an address for that food bank where only wealthy people freeload?
https://canadacollege.edu/sparkpoint...foodpantry.phpif you look at a topographical map of the route from the Redwood City Train Station to Canada College, one can only reasonably assume that the food bank is not meant for poor homeless people who take the train.

what kind of food bank gives canned wild salmon and walnuts instead of tuna and peanuts?
I'm not familiar with Larry's food bank, but I do work at my own community food pantry -- and I can assure you that none of them are serving "wealthy people." They almost certainly have maximum income thresholds which are directly related to the number of people in a household.

In another thread, Larry explained that he just got a big wage increase, which helped him purchase his new expensive road bike; at my food bank (and many others -- including Larry's, perhaps), the income disclosure is on an honor system: if you write down on the form that your income is below the threshold, we'll serve you. The presumption is that very few people are awful enough to lie in order to get free food.

As for Larry's claim that this food bank is for rich people because (1) it's in an affluent area, and (2) they're giving out canned salmon. Wow, what a crock of crap. Poverty often exists (and is often worse) side-by-side with great affluence, and much of the food given out at such food banks is donated by local grocers. I haul those donations from our local grocers, and they often include high-end cuts of meat, salmon, tuna, etc -- whatever is about to hit its 'sell-by' date.
Old 11-14-23, 09:45 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Perhaps a vintage Pletscher rack and a milk crate held on by bungies.

Edit: But seriously, how about a backpack?
I see these all over Lancaster County PA with the Amish.
Old 11-14-23, 09:45 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Not to mention that food pantry is located in tuition free community college.
Old 11-14-23, 09:53 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
As for Larry's claim that this food bank is for rich people because (1) it's in an affluent area, and (2) they're giving out canned salmon. Wow, what a crock of crap. Poverty often exists (and is often worse) side-by-side with great affluence, and much of the food given out at such food banks is donated by local grocers. I haul those donations from our local grocers, and they often include high-end cuts of meat, salmon, tuna, etc -- whatever is about to hit its 'sell-by' date.
I think affluent people tend towards fresh salmon and other fresh fish. My family sometimes ate canned salmon when times were tough.

I rode to my 35th high school reunion back in '18. I went to an exclusive New England boarding school that back in the early 80s cost 5 figures/year. At the time of the reunion, Skanska was finishing up a new, three-story athletic building that included a studio with Peloton bikes an indoor hockey rink. Estimated final price tag was $82 million. Over $70 million of that came from one, anonymous donor. (I am pretty sure I know who that was. He's the King of a country.)

Not 3 miles away is a town that, according to at least one source, has the highest rate of opioid addiction in the entire state of MA.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-14-23 at 09:59 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-14-23, 09:59 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by stevel610
I see these all over Lancaster County PA with the Amish.
And some of them will drop you like a bad habit.

I was doing an MS charity ride out that way. An Amish teen got mixed up in the crowd for a bit. She was wearing a dress, one of those white hair net type things and riding an old Raleigh 10-speed with a milk crate strapped to the back. The bike had mirrors on both sides and, I kid you not, a rear Campy disc wheel. She was absolutely flying. And yes, I drafted her for about a half mile.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-14-23, 11:00 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts

As I said before, race me or name a champion to race for you. Otherwise, **** off dude. I have given my area and demonstrated that I am willing to race anybody. Not much else to say, put up or shut up.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 11-14-23, 02:38 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not familiar with Larry's food bank, but I do work at my own community food pantry -- and I can assure you that none of them are serving "wealthy people." They almost certainly have maximum income thresholds which are directly related to the number of people in a household.

In another thread, Larry explained that he just got a big wage increase, which helped him purchase his new expensive road bike; at my food bank (and many others -- including Larry's, perhaps), the income disclosure is on an honor system: if you write down on the form that your income is below the threshold, we'll serve you. The presumption is that very few people are awful enough to lie in order to get free food.

I live in a small metropolitan suburb that is fairly wealthy overall, but there are people in need. The number of those people in need fluctuates as circumstances change (e.g., went way up during the Covid shutdown). We don't have any homeless in our city.

The only time I see anyone well off at our food bank is when they are (i) donating their time working, (ii) dropping off food donations, or (iii) dropping off a check. The food bank serves those truly in need even though they virtually all have a place to live. Those that aren't in need would not be caught dead driving off with a load of food.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 11-14-23, 03:23 PM
frdfandc

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Dragon Race

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And some of them will drop you like a bad habit.

I was doing an MS charity ride out that way. An Amish teen got mixed up in the crowd for a bit. She was wearing a dress, one of those white hair net type things and riding an old Raleigh 10-speed with a milk crate strapped to the back. The bike had mirrors on both sides and, I kid you not, a rear Campy disc wheel. She was absolutely flying. And yes, I drafted her for about a half mile.

Yes they will. Heard plenty of stories from my uncle who was an avid cyclist. Never really believed it until one day I was finishing a ride years ago, had one last climb to do and was approaching a young Amish man on a bike at the base of the climb. He pulled away from me like I was standing still. I know I was on the tired side, but I feel that if I was even at 100%, he'd do the same thing.
Likes For frdfandc:
Old 11-14-23, 05:14 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I live in a small metropolitan suburb that is fairly wealthy overall, but there are people in need. The number of those people in need fluctuates as circumstances change (e.g., went way up during the Covid shutdown). We don't have any homeless in our city.

The only time I see anyone well off at our food bank is when they are (i) donating their time working, (ii) dropping off food donations, or (iii) dropping off a check. The food bank serves those truly in need even though they virtually all have a place to live. Those that aren't in need would not be caught dead driving off with a load of food.
I need the Wilier to go to this food bank or the other guests might judge me. It’s all rich people, high end cars etc.

edit: this is a joke, and much more insincere than most of my posts, wasn’t meant to be taken seriously. But I do think it’s a rich person food bank, or at least decidedly not for the lowest class. It’s different than other food banks I’ve gone to or volunteered at (highschool hockey team volunteered.)

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 11-14-23 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-14-23, 06:30 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
I need the Wilier to go to this food bank or the other guests might judge me. Its all rich people, high end cars etc.
People at this food bank would judge you for cycling there in a < $3K road bike but not for riding off with bags of organic produce hanging from the hoods of a $3K road bike?
Old 11-14-23, 07:11 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
I think someone has mistaken a local restaurant for a food bank. That explains the "guests" in high end cars, and why they're "judging" some dude riding off with a bag of food.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-14-23, 07:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
i carry a folding back pack https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Ultral...eae8f9840&th=1

but I am now a bit concerned as it appears Larry is relatively close geographically

Old 11-14-23, 07:53 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think someone has mistaken a local restaurant for a food bank. That explains the "guests" in high end cars, and why they're "judging" some dude riding off with a bag of food.
Also maybe because that dude is waiting at the bottom of the closest hill to race the Uber Eats / Post Mates / Door Dash delivery people on e-bikes leaving the same restaurant.
Old 11-14-23, 08:35 PM
LarrySellerz

it’s good practice, keeping a load like this out of your spokes.
Old 11-14-23, 08:38 PM
vuurmot

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I just carry around a small backpack
Old 11-14-23, 08:49 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
race the Uber Eats / Post Mates / Door Dash delivery people on e-bikes
Fyi the fastest of those guys are on track bikes
Old 11-14-23, 09:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
I need the Wilier to go to this food bank or the other guests might judge me. It’s all rich people, high end cars etc.

edit: this is a joke, and much more insincere than most of my posts, wasn’t meant to be taken seriously. But I do think it’s a rich person food bank, or at least decidedly not for the lowest class. It’s different than other food banks I’ve gone to or volunteered at (highschool hockey team volunteered.)
You can't suddenly call it joke. Just because nobody was laughing with you and nobody found it funny and it wasn't initially put out as a joke you can't just say ok this bombed like the Enola Gay, maybe I should say it was a joke and then it clears the issues.

You clearly as usual don't understand the issues present within poverty and food insecurity and take this as a joke. Unfortunately it is not a joke for a lot of people who actually rely on food banks to help out or keep themselves or their families fed. We are all quite lucky that we don't have the food insecurity and we get lucky that we can buy nice bikes and ride nice bikes and care for certain things a little less (for the most part).

If there is something you don't understand sometimes it is better to just bow out and leave and say hey I don't get it rather than digging yourself further into a hole deeper and deeper and deeper.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-14-23, 11:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Fyi the fastest of those guys are on track bikes
But I don't like my food deconstructed unless it is accompanied by an explanation rendered in fancy accent.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 11-14-23, 11:45 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
edit: this is a joke, and much more insincere than most of my posts, wasn’t meant to be taken seriously.
So, your posts are insincere. And this singular one is “much more insincere” than most of your insincere posts. So, you are admitting being a troll.

But I do think …
After your endless ridiculous posts, why do you believe anybody cares what you think? After admitting your posts are insincere, do you believe people are going to care more about what you think?

As I said before, race me or name a champion to race for you. Otherwise, **** off dude. I have given my area and demonstrated that I am willing to race anybody. Not much else to say, put up or shut up.
So, somebody criticized your insincere post (among many other insincere posts) and you went all internet tough guy and challenged him to a ridiculous “duel”.
Likes For njkayaker:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.