Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front brake juddering at low speed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 08:16 AM
giskard

Bikes: Kona Jake the Snake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My new Kona Jake the Snake (2010 model) has some serious fork judder when braking at low speed. The Kore Race cantilever brakes have been adjusted by my LBS and were working fine, but a few days ago, whilst filtering through city traffic, I noticed serious judder and flex in the front (carbon) forks. Admittedly, I had an impending flat front tyre, could this be a factor?

What's the general fix for judder with canti brakes?
Old 02-18-11, 08:36 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Is the judder gone now that you fixed the flat?

On "road" bikes with more flexible forks, the usual cause of this is having the cable stop too far away from the straddle cable. Is your cable stop up on the headset? If so it can usually be moved down closer to the brake by using a mount that goes through the hole in the fork. I have never had this shudder problem on mountain bikes, even with very long main cables. Presumably the MTB forks are more rigid.

Also, if your brake pads are positioned poorly, it can sometimes cause squealing or other annoying stuff.
Old 02-18-11, 08:47 AM
furballi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Clean the rims and pads with scotchbrite. Wipe with alcohol. Adjust pads so that they hit squarely on the rim. Some people prefer a 1mm toe-in at the front (1mm gap at the rear).
Old 02-18-11, 03:31 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by furballi
Clean the rims and pads with scotchbrite. Wipe with alcohol. Adjust pads so that they hit squarely on the rim. Some people prefer a 1mm toe-in at the front (1mm gap at the rear).
This, plus possibly a need for adjusting the headset as well as a very close inspection of the rims to make sure there are no imperfections. You may simply have picked up some oil off the road that contaminated the braking surface.
Old 02-20-11, 08:32 AM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

I don't like the word 'juddering', but will go ahead and use it as its too early for me to think of anything better - 'chattering' doesn't really work. In rebuilding my 1989 Bridgestone Comp MB2 that I bought new, but which was used hard by my son for a few years before limping home, I took a short ride before really starting work on it. When I applied the front brake, violent 'juddering' ensued. I had planned to replace the rims anyway, so I parked it and started working on it. When I went to put in the new Kool Stop brake pads, I realized that the RH cantilever arm on the front brake was twisted, resulting in pronounced 'toe-out' of that brake pad, or the rear of the pad contacting the rim first. Obviously this was the cause of the 'judder', but what happened to it? Then I remembered my son told me on the phone once that he had really crashed hard on a fast trail and badly warped the front wheel. He had the wheels trued. That's when it hit me - the badly warped rim slammed into the RH brake pad during the wreck, pulling it forward and twisting the arm. Fortunately, the new pads have a lot more adjustability than the old ones and I was able to get just a tiny bit of positive toe on that pad, so I expect it to be okay when I get the new wheels in. Its generally not a good idea to do any major twisting on aluminum components, but if I can't get it right during final assembly I will 'tweak' that arm with a large wrench.
Old 02-20-11, 09:21 AM
Gerry Hull
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Juddering perfect word. so what not in dictionary. I knew Exactly what you meant when I saw it. Can be caused by so many things.

I just bought some new Rolf Prima wheels. They have very atypical spoke set up. Design weakness in these wheels is that the rim is slightly flared at every spoke juncture. At the brake tracks the rim is, if you measure between the spokes, .740 wide. Measured at the spoke junctures, its .746-.748. Manufacturers instruction manual had said, You need to dial in a s-load of toe in with these wheels. When I read that I thought, hmm, wonder why? Then go ride it with brakes set flat on rim like usual. Judder my God. Tons of toe in alleviates symptoms but doesnt fix underlying problem. Trying to figure out how to fix it without destroying wheel.

But maybe you can narrow down problem by rotating wheel while applying light pressure to brake. See if it grabs at particular place or places.
Old 02-20-11, 09:32 AM
tru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
install one of these: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=47409
Old 02-20-11, 11:46 AM
1saxman

'Juddering' is a BS word and there are plenty of engineering terms existing to describe brake pulsation and cyclic 'grabbing'. Like many other new 'words', it only came into existance because of ignorance of the established terms describing the effect, which has been experienced since the invention of the wheel. I started seeing it on car forums referring to the same effect on brakes. I suppose the word came into being when somebody tried to describe a 'jarring shudder' and came up with 'judder'. Things like this remind me of a lady I used to work with from Alabama who had a delightful way of combining words into very descriptive non-words, like beaucoup and 'oodles' into 'beaucoodles', or 'flustered' and 'frustrated' into 'flustrated'. As cute as they may be, they're still not real words.
'But maybe you can narrow down problem by rotating wheel while applying light pressure to brake. See if it grabs at particular place or places.But maybe you can narrow down problem by rotating wheel while applying light pressure to brake. See if it grabs at particular place or places.

'But maybe you can narrow down problem by rotating wheel while applying light pressure to brake. See if it grabs at particular place or places.'

Like I said, I know what caused my problem, but that is obviously the first step in assessing the situation for anyone experiencing this.

'the rim is slightly flared at every spoke juncture.'

Wow - a brake chatter machine if I ever saw one. I'll bet it would take a ton of toe to stop that rim from chattering.
Old 02-20-11, 03:17 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
I had a couple bikes that would vibrate fiercely when I put the brake on. The thing they shared was new Velocity Aero rims and Kool-Stop salmon brake pads. Installing all-black pads cured the problem immediately, and once the rims had some miles on them the salmon pads worked fine, too.

I bet the OP's bike has some sort of rough finish on its new rims. A few wet rides will take care of that.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 02-20-11, 05:40 PM
Hibonite

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others have stated it could be a number of things that all add up for fierce fork shudder. In my case it was that the CR720 brakes fit loosely on the pivots such that when the brake is applied the rotation of the wheel would twist the arms and the pads would end up being toe-out, despite having adjusted them toe-in at first. When i increased the toe in a lot, it fixed the problem for me.
Old 02-22-11, 07:36 AM
giskard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet the OP's bike has some sort of rough finish on its new rims. A few wet rides will take care of that
It has a somewhat radially rough finish so I wouldn't expect that to cause problems, but I'm not discounting it as a possible cause.
Old 02-22-11, 09:49 AM
s4442jlp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
. . . you may find this of interest.

https://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...o-cross_101807

Most likely the simplest thing is to check that the front pads toe-in is exisiting; you can increase it to ~1.5mm and still maintain effective braking.
Old 02-22-11, 10:24 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Brake shudder is a real problem for road and cross bikes with cantilever brakes and particularly with carbon forks. The main cause seems to be the long span of brake cable between the headset mounted cable hanger and the brake itself. Here is Lennard Zinn's explanation of the cause and cure:

https://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...o-cross_101807
Old 09-15-11, 01:43 AM
giskard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your feedback on this thread.

The brake shudder problem has now been fixed by my local repair shop - the fix was to replace the straddle cable and the lightweight alu hanger with a slightly heavier and far more solid steel hanger, the latter has made all the difference. Also the right-angled noodle was removed and the angle of the cable from the bars down into the cable housing is now gentler.

The attached pic shows the old cable setup at the bars but I'll post updated pics later today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jts_front_sm.jpg (99.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-15-11, 02:12 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yep, common problem. The fixes usually are:

1. toe in the brake pads
2. check the headset for play
3. install a fork crown housing stop

I did #3 because it had the added benefit of routing my brake cable a lot more smoothly. I had minor "judder" and it cured it instantly.
Old 09-15-11, 06:43 AM
giskard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbineBlade
install a fork crown housing stop
I did consider that because such a thing might also provide a cable adjuster but it would have meant more work that was required for the solution provided by my lbs.
Old 09-15-11, 08:31 AM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just to be a nudge, the term "judder" is perfectly fine in this context. It describes the apparent "shudder" in the motion when 24 Hz film sources are shown on 50 or 60 Hz video displays. The rate of the motion artifact is approximately 10 Hz, so it's not that far a stretch to call any unpleasant 10 Hz mechanical motion that starts and stops "judder". BTW, "shudder" is something people do, not mechanical systems.
Old 09-15-11, 09:11 AM
ecnewell 

Bikes: 2007 Raleigh Rx 1.0, 1990 Cannondale ST400, 1981 Fredy Rüegg, 1984 Miyata One-Thousand

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't think "judder" was a real word either, though I did understand what the OP meant. Turns out it's a perfectly cromulent word. I learned something today

From my MacBook's built-in dictionary:

jud•der |ˈjədər|
verb [ intrans. ] chiefly Brit.
(esp. of something mechanical) shake and vibrate rapidly and with force : the steering wheel juddered in his hand.

noun
an instance of rapid and forceful shaking and vibration : the car gave a judder.
Old 09-15-11, 10:10 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 1saxman
'Juddering' is a BS word and there are plenty of engineering terms existing to describe brake pulsation and cyclic 'grabbing'. Like many other new 'words', it only came into existance because of ignorance of the established terms describing the effect, which has been experienced since the invention of the wheel. I started seeing it on car forums referring to the same effect on brakes. I suppose the word came into being when somebody tried to describe a 'jarring shudder' and came up with 'judder'. Things like this remind me of a lady I used to work with from Alabama who had a delightful way of combining words into very descriptive non-words, like beaucoup and 'oodles' into 'beaucoodles', or 'flustered' and 'frustrated' into 'flustrated'. As cute as they may be, they're still not real words.
Possibly the strangest rant I've read in the mechanics forum. According to www.m-w.com "judder" has been in use since 1931. You probably have a better chance of causing the extinction of newer, not-real words like "email" and "cellphone" than something so entrenched in the English vocabulary as "judder".