Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Smelly clothing

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 08:14 AM
Rotty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smelly clothing

Just started cycling long distances and I've noticed that my clothing stinks after a mile or two. I mostly wear cotton clothing. Right now in NYC its chilly and I wear a tee and a hoodie to school.
The odor coming from the clothing during a ride smells "static-y" as my sister calls it, and lasts until I wash them.

I'm pretty sure it's not my sweat because I work out and run on treadmills and I never have had this smell before doing those activities.

Only other times I've had this smell was when I was young and I would run and play outside. Sometimes I could smell it on my sister when she did the same thing.

I'm guessing wind and the sun is a big factor to the smell as I can also smell it on my jeans and sometimes my hair. My friend calls the smell "fresh air" but don't seem too fresh to me..

I haven't bought any cycling clothing yet so don't know if it's the same deal with them too.
Old 04-28-10, 08:45 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Wool clothing, wicking clothing and adding vinegar when you wash your clothes will all help.
Old 04-28-10, 09:54 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Read this thread. It may help. --> https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-end-of-a-ride...

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-28-10, 10:10 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Switch to synthetic fibers. That way you clothes won't smell after a mile or two. They'll smell all the time. Even after you wash them. Assuming you do.

Old 04-28-10, 10:30 AM
apclassic9
Caustic Soccer Mom

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So long as we're not talking about plain ol sweat... laundry detergents, softeners, dryer rags all leave a scent behind. If you want totall non-scented (smelly) clothing, start washing ALL your clothes in just vinegar and baking soda. There are actually non-detergent web sites out there that will give you the details.
Old 04-28-10, 11:39 AM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Synthetics are much better at avoiding the odor. I can use the same bibs three or four days before the need a laundry.
Old 04-28-10, 12:25 PM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it doesn't smell like sweat or any other body odor, who cares?

I know what you mean though. Biking sweat smells different from running or tennis sweat. It must have something to do with the fact that it is being air-dried as soon as it gets wet. The extra tricky part is that the rider often cannot smell it, but others can.

Bring a change of underclothes, deodorant, and some baby wipes to clean up after the ride if others find it offensive. (minimum)

Everyone here recommends wicking clothing, but it is not always practical for a commuter who wants to travel light and not change when he gets where he's going.
Old 04-28-10, 12:54 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
I can use the same bibs three or four days before the need a laundry.
:facepalm:
Old 04-28-10, 12:58 PM
motomurphy

Bikes: CAAD9 4, Centurion??? road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had good luck using Penguin sport wash
Old 04-28-10, 01:16 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Synthetics are much better at avoiding the odor. I can use the same bibs three or four days before the need a laundry.

Gotta wonder what's growing in that chamois by then...
Old 04-29-10, 12:46 AM
Yalborap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo

Gotta wonder what's growing in that chamois by then...
A new civilization. They worship chest hair.
Old 04-29-10, 03:31 PM
Rotty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I haven't thought about the smell coming from detergents I've been using. Also I have never heard of washing your clothes with vinegar, sounds like a joke lol, but I will try it.

@JeremyZ: Yeah that's my theory too. I have only had this smell when I'm cycling.
I can definitely smell it though. Sometimes when I stop and breathe it in a little it kind of makes me sick (in combination with exhaustion).
Old 04-30-10, 08:32 AM
es82

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vinegar can help get the sweat smell out. I don't do this every time, but once in awhile I'll soak my workout clothes in a weak viniger/water solution for a few hours before doing the laundry. It really helps get rid of the musty-sweat smell. If I use too much vinegar, there is a bit of a lingering smell just out of the wash, but more of a 'fresh' smell, but it fades pretty quickly.

I tend to just sweat a lot in general, so I'll even do this with normal under-shirts after they start getting a bit musky.
Old 04-30-10, 08:34 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Don't think cotton is a decent wicking agent.. You want less smell, you'll have to seek out bike specific materials.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-30-10, 11:09 AM
joewey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wash your clothes with Borax and add vinegar to the rinse and air your clothes to dry.
Old 04-30-10, 11:24 AM
Totaled108
Truck Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOOL (merino wool) is the way to go. Wicks wonderfully. In the winter months I'd wear Icebreaker sweater and rain jacket/wind breaker 5 days a week (30+miles a day), washing it only once a week or less. I only had to change my bike shorts and rain pants when I got to work. Kept the sweater on because it looks presentable (I'm a commercial truck driver) and didn't smell like anything. Before getting it (wool sweater) I had to change out of my jersey due to the smell after just a few miles. I'm sure I'll use them for long summer rides, when its hotter, but I'm in love with merino wool. I'm going to be picking up some bottoms soon enough too for hiking and climbing.

I sweat quite a bit so I need all the help I can get removing that stuff with out smelling.

You'll still be paying the same for wool as with synthetic bike apparel, but can use the wool in other setting far more easily.
Old 04-30-10, 11:38 AM
Cosmoline
Biscuit Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They don't even get a funk till several days of use. Maybe it's my body chemistry.
Old 04-30-10, 05:18 PM
Totaled108
Truck Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They don't even get a funk till several days of use. Maybe it's my body chemistry.

I'm naturally stinky. or for the folks around me when in synthetics.
Old 05-01-10, 05:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
for detergents this is the ONLY thing I can tolerate. everything else makes my clothes smell funny and when they heat up from my body when i exercise it annoys the heck out of me. especially jeans. this detergent doesn't do that.

Arm & Hammer Free of Perfume & Dye Laundry Detergent
https://www.buythecase.net/product/95...ry%20Detergent

sometimes clothes will get into into a funky state and may require several washings before using again. it doesn't help to let clothes wet with sweat lay around for more than a few hours. heaven forbid days. ha stank will bond with fibers and you'll have a horrible time getting it out.

I also shower before most training sessions so there's less bacteria being transposed to my clothing
Old 05-22-10, 07:36 PM
Rotty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good news guys. I stopped using my old laundry detergent, Tide, and switched to using Arm & Hammer with activating Baking Soda. After 2-3 hour long rides in warm weather my clothes still smell fresh (lucky genes, sweat doesn't smell plus I shower with soap before I go riding). I do add vinegar when I remember. I'm always sniffing the clothes after I use vinegar though and I can smell the vinegar very very slightly, but it doesn't smell when I go cycling.
Old 08-03-10, 02:19 PM
bcd43

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a laundry sanitizer that used in MMA (mixed martial arts) - kenshield. It kills bacteria like MRSA and Staph and does the same for odor bacteria. even better it doesn't leave a smell in my clothes. I wash with my regular detergent and add 1 to 2 oz of ks to the rinse cycle (I put it in the dispenser for fabric softener).
Old 08-03-10, 03:21 PM
RA913

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Simple Green in the washing machine! Works great, and smells good too!
Old 08-03-10, 03:40 PM
Joemess
Space for rent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
says you.....

edit... dang zombie post. I should have looked at the date.

Last edited by Joemess; 08-03-10 at 03:41 PM. Reason: I am a goober.
Old 08-03-10, 04:05 PM
RA913

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's just nasty!

There are a ton of people out there that don't know how bad they smell!
Old 08-04-10, 12:20 PM
es82

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My cycling stuff after my first multi-day ride is smelling rather ripe after 1 day of use each. Even when put away dry they are very smelly, I had to double-bag them at the hotel I was staying at because the room was starting to smell like my shorts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.