Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2012 - How Was the Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 05:40 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loved the weather coming in--a bit breezy, leaves blowing about, cloudy, misty. All sorts of Hazmat trucks around the capitol building this morning..not sure if it was a drill or not.
Old 10-25-12, 05:55 AM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great ride in.

First commute after being sick for a few days. My first climb I felt a bit sluggish...must be the cold meds working their way out of my system. I get an added bonus on my commute...I have about 2.5 miles of fresh blacktop on a relatively flat surface. Got in a nice sprint to wake up the lungs and legs.

I'm kinda surprised how I feel. I thought I would be lagging, but once I got warmed up I seemed to be fine.
Old 10-25-12, 06:42 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
This morning was the warmest yet of the past few weeks, 10C, with a forecast of 19C for the afternoon (and sunny too!!!). I just wore a shell and long sleeved jersey (and shorts too people, c'mon!!) and had to unzip the shell partway along the route. I have an afternoon meeting scheduled to end 30 min after my regular day ends so I rode in 30 min later this morning. It was a little brighter and I felt a bit more awake too, enough to race a car down a hill (56kph, which is good for me and about as fast as I can pedal in top gear). The only setback of the morning ride was the SE 22kph wind which was a headwind for 4 hills and 2/3 of the ride so I'm surprised I was able to maintain 21.5kph average rate.

Before I headed home yesterday, I realized that before I had even started, my legs were burnt so I took the short route but even that was a real struggle, I just limped home. Fortunately, my legs had seemed to have recovered by the morning, maybe it was the 1/2 bottle of wine, Piave cheese and dark chocolate I had after the memorial mass for my sister that helped.
Old 10-25-12, 07:42 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluish Green
I think I experienced a first (for me) today... I commuted eastbound in the morning with a SSW 8mph wind kind of behind me, and commuted westbound in the evening with a SSE 12mph wind kind of behind me. Tailwinds both ways!! Woo hoo!
Don't brag about it because one day you will have headwind both ways
Old 10-25-12, 07:45 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunny, cold, big headwind but I didn't feel like pushing this morning so I left earlier and took 1h11min. to go my 27.2 kms instead of my usual 1h. Not bad.
Old 10-25-12, 08:16 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Borderline hot yesterday afternoon with temps near 80°F for the ride home. Should be slightly cooler this afternoon.

This morning's ride was good. Foggy/overcast so no visible sunrise as I neared Washington, but there was a nice breeze PDT the river. Almost got hit in the face by a few falling and, later, blowing leaves. At least they're still pretty. There's some good foliage along the Mt Vernon Trail these days...
Old 10-25-12, 09:26 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a rear flat on two consecutive days (Tues & Wed). (tiny punctures in the tube, street side with nothing visible in/on the tire itself)

I have several meetings that started early this morning, so I used the MTA/Bike & Ride for a truncated commute this morning.
I'm hoping for the best this afternoon.
Old 10-25-12, 09:41 AM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
-6C/21F, a little breezy with a few random snowflakes in the air, not nearly enough to say it was snowing. I've been feeling rather sluggish recently and just poking along my commutes, which perhaps explains why I've been getting passed by other cyclists with alarming frequency! This morning, I was riding along and started to see my shadow in my own headlight beam. Turning my head around, I saw another commuter cyclist gaining on me with an incredibly bright headlight. After he passed me, I half-heartedly chased him for a bit until our paths diverged. It was then I realized I was in 4th gear, and not my usual 5th. Not sure what's wrong with me, but I'm just not feeling motivated to really push myself these days.
Old 10-25-12, 09:47 AM
Allycat24

Bikes: All-City Space Horse, Trek 5000 WSD

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outstanding fall weather this week. Today, I finally left off the knee and arm warmers and was dressed just right for 60s. On the ride in, it was still fairly dark, and I saw a guy coming down a steep dirt path with lots of roots, and he did an endo in slow motion. Since another rider was stopped at the same place, I kept riding, but I still feel guilty for not stopping. I hope he was okay. I had enough trouble seeing the bike path so thought it was kinda gutsy that he was even attempting to ride down that path on a road bike. Next time, I will be a good citizen and stop.
Old 10-25-12, 09:53 AM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by groovestew
-6C/21F, a little breezy with a few random snowflakes in the air, not nearly enough to say it was snowing.
Ooo, cool! I haven't encountered this yet but it will come.

Originally Posted by groovestew
... I saw another commuter cyclist gaining on me with an incredibly bright headlight.
Yesterday evening, while driving in the car, I saw an oncoming cyclist on the other side of the road with 3 incredibly bright lights, 2 on the handlebar, one on his helmet. Despite being 4 lanes over, the lights were incredibly bright and, with the helmet-mounted light, it looked weird. It actually took me a moment to figure out what I was seeing that had a triangle of bright lights. It made me have second thoughts about considering a helmet-mounted light. In reality, this person did not need so many or so much light considering s/he was on a well-lit road.
Old 10-25-12, 10:46 AM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First real test of my new fenders, and they worked really well Light rain coming in to work today - I saw only one other bicyclist. Sometimes see as many as 10, so the weather seems to have dropped most others.

Question: what can I do to waterproof the Sigma computer and the bicycle lights? What should I use to coat the places where water can go in?
Old 10-25-12, 11:45 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
treadtread, I suspect they're fairly water resistant or maybe even waterproof. They know where this stuff is going. But if rain is heavy, I suspect Saran wrap would work OK.

I rode to work today for the first time in a few weeks. I really have to do this more often. I feel great, and my mind is so much more awake. I think of my cycling route to work as long and hilly, but my view of it is changing slowly. I took a slightly longer route, and it was about 14 miles. I took exactly an hour, and my computer, of course, said I averaged 14.0 mph. None of the hills felt difficult. I went at what I would call a moderately strong pace but I wasn't pushing myself. I ought to be able to push it hard occasionally, so I will try doing the whole route hard from time to time, just to build strength and endurance.

Weather is cool and damp and overcast. I wore a merino wool long sleeve polo shirt with a wool jersey on top. I was overdressed, but since both layers were wool, I didn't overheat, and I didn't want to go through the trouble of peeling off a layer. I was fine, and I dried off very quickly once inside.

I put a front rack on my bike and also fenders. For the time being, I can't attach my dynamo headlight, so I'm using a decent battery light. I ran it on the way in, figuring a daytime running light may not do any good, but it doesn't do any harm, and maybe it helps people see me. I also run my taillight on "steady" in the daytimes.

I shot this as soon as I arrived at work.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-25-12, 12:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Drove in today because I'm leaving work early to take my mom to a ballgame . Just for fun, I turned on strava for comparison. Driving saves me roughly 4 minutes door to door, but costs me $8 in parking.
Old 10-25-12, 01:27 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Cold, and the roads were wet, but at least it wasn't raining.

I almost got run down from behind by some guy in a big white F-150 who wasn't paying attention. Looked like a brand new truck, if I lived, that probably would have been a nice $ettlement.
Old 10-25-12, 02:53 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
-1C with excellent 42kph tailwind this afternoon. The ride home will be slow unless the wind dies down early. Yesterday I had a 40 gusting to 55kph headwind for the trip home. The road was torn up in one spot so I took the new section of the MUP. It has a nice drop that leads into a turn where I can easily get up to 40kph. That spot is completely unsheltered from the wind so it will probably get blown in with snow on a regular basis.

I stopped by the LBS this morning and my Pugsley had arrived but was still in the box. I'll be picking it up tomorrow afternoon. I got a black Brooks Professional saddle for it and brought it home today to get some proofide onto it. The saddle is probably in excess of 10 years old and is sucking up the proofide like crazy. I'd wipe the bottom and 30 seconds later it would be dry to the touch.
Old 10-25-12, 03:38 PM
jrickards

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
This afternoon's ride home was in beautiful warm weather, sunny and 20C but with a 43kpm S wind (about 1/2 of my ride home, yuk!).

Couldn't believe it that in these beautiful conditions, a car passed me with the telltale sounds of studded tires!!!
Old 10-25-12, 04:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
jrickards, do you bike-commute through the winter?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-25-12, 04:59 PM
Rimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was having a bad day. On my way back from work I was on the right side of the road minding my own business and some driver honks like an ass at me. He may have just got off an interstate exit ramp. Anyway as he passes me, he's between the left and right lane and eventually goes into the left lane. No one else is in the left lane or anywhere around. Well, I got behind him as he was turning left through the traffic light. After that, he makes a U-turn. He either doesn't know where he's going, or he's trying to get away from me. Well, I turned left and made a U-turn after him. I pulled up in the left lane next to him. Then he lied and said that it wasn't him. I have it on tape, so I know it was him.
Old 10-25-12, 06:34 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I was late getting out this AM so I got a ride from my wife (she had a meeting at my work site by luck) with my bike. I worked until about 6:30 PM, and it was just getting dark. I was using my regular SigmaSport headlight to see while I changed the headlight bulb in my car last night, and I couldn't find it this morning so I found an old white blinkie light and fastened it with a few cut-bike-tube-elastic-bands. IT was not enough to see with, but certainly enough to be seen by any of the ~4 cars I saw on the way home.
As I was arriving at the bike racks the other last cyclist - an older chap - was just pulling on his reflective vest and riding off. I try to not race people when I commute as I tend to overdo it and feel sick, but since this was the trip home I figured I could push a little. I saw his tail-light cresting the top of the first hill when I was at the bottom (about a 50 m climb over 500m). I reeled him in on the last set of flats before we got back onto public roads about 7 km later. There is a long gradual downhill terminated with about 20 meters of washboard ruts leading directly into a fence with a narrow open gate, and I like to do top speed tests on this hill, while most others take it real easy to avoid hitting the fence. I caught up to the other guy, slowed to say hello, then blew past. I maintained my pace after the fence and I could tell the guy had sped up a bit to try and hang on to me because I hadn't slowed down but I was pulling away much more slowly than I caught him.

I have had a persistent cough for the past two weeks and this was my first ride, except for runs tot he grocery store and taking the dog for walks. It felt great!
Old 10-25-12, 06:35 PM
LarDasse74

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rimmer
I was having a bad day. On my way back from work I was on the right side of the road minding my own business and some driver honks like an ass at me. He may have just got off an interstate exit ramp. Anyway as he passes me, he's between the left and right lane and eventually goes into the left lane. No one else is in the left lane or anywhere around. Well, I got behind him as he was turning left through the traffic light. After that, he makes a U-turn. He either doesn't know where he's going, or he's trying to get away from me. Well, I turned left and made a U-turn after him. I pulled up in the left lane next to him. Then he lied and said that it wasn't him. I have it on tape, so I know it was him.
Remember: that guy's punishment is that he has to be a dick the rest of his life.
Old 10-25-12, 06:38 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When in doubt, pack the windbreaker!

It was forecast to be upper 60's on the way home today, but we had a cold front come through early this afternoon, and the temp dropped from 77 F to 47 F and windy in 3 hours. My nylon windbreaker saved my bacon tonight!
Old 10-25-12, 07:17 PM
Rimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LarDasse74
Remember: that guy's punishment is that he has to be a dick the rest of his life.
He looked like a white-collar kind of guy at least in his 50s probably or 60s. His driving was bit off and abrupt when I caught up behind him on the turn. That and the U-turn makes me think he was trying to lose me. I normally let this stuff go and don't chase down motorists, but I was too angry today to let this one go. He looked intimidated, and I'm sure he was surprised a bike rider caught up to him.
Old 10-25-12, 11:14 PM
silmarillion

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The way home last night was windy as heck, and kinda like sitting around the campfire when the smoke follows you...It seemed that the wind was always in my face. Whew, I was tired when I got home!
Old 10-25-12, 11:40 PM
RunningPirate

Bikes: 1970? Dawes Galaxy (cannibalized), 197? Bob Jackson Frankenbike, 1989 Jamis Diablo

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Not bad, all things considered. About mid 50's when I left the house in what was either a light rain or a heavy fog. I got to try out my new kludged together head light (Basically a 4W LED driven by 8 AA batteries) which lit the MUP nicely. The ride home was drier (turns out it was in fact rain) but it had the typical headwinds that I know I have to deal with.
Old 10-26-12, 05:23 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
It was a nice uneventful ride in this morning, at a cool 36f.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.