Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2013!! How Was your Commute Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 10:55 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I'm guessing I will never have a better day to commute. Cloudy and mid 50s this morning with a mild tailwind (about 10 mph). This afternoon should still be cloudy with temps in the mid 60s. The wind is supposed to shift during the day so I should have a tailwind going home, too.
Nope. There will never be a better commute. 34 miles of tailwinds in t-shirt and shorts. Couldn't possible ever be better.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-07-13, 11:02 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
There was enough light on the way home that I could have almost gotten away without a headlight. This is exciting. No more pitch-dark rides until November!
Old 02-08-13, 03:50 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
no bicycle commute today, too much champagne last night
Old 02-08-13, 06:24 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yesterday's commute home was, in some ways, worse than the morning commute to work. Although the sun was bright, the temperature was milder and the wind was at my b the snow conditions had gotten worse: the plows had thrown more lumps of snow over the snowbanks onto the sidewalks and path and 2cm (1") of snow had fallen on top. The worst part of the commute home was when a jogger (not a runner) passed me . OK, well, the conditions were so bad that I had to walk 1/3 of the way back and that's when she passed me.

When I drove my wife into work this morning, as best I could, I had a peek at the condition of the sidewalks (her workplace is halfway along the route to mine) and they hadn't been plowed so I decided to walk in.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 02-08-13, 06:52 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold rain just around freezing...I had one of those mornings where I look out the window just as I walk out the door of my apartment to take the elevator down, no rain, and by the time I get out side 5 minutes later...rain!
Old 02-08-13, 06:57 AM
aquateen

Bikes: CAAD10 5, Trek 1000 Alpha Series

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
first rainy morning commute. i was better prepared for it than i thought. only issue i had was wet/cold gloves.
Old 02-08-13, 07:07 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The ride home yesterday convinced me that I needed a rest day, and fortunately it coincided with a rainy morning. I had commuted 155 miles and ridden 207 total miles over the past week and my legs were feeling it, and that wasn't helped by a stiff headwind out of the north all the way home. Got lucky on my commute, however, as I got home just ahead of a storm system that was heading our way all day. Forecasters had predicted its arrival some time in the afternoon and I decided to take my chances and ride. It started raining soon after I got home.
Old 02-08-13, 08:08 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Beautiful morning, sun shining, most of the puddles from yesterday's rain have dried up. I only saw one other cyclist this morning. Maybe it's the temperature with 8°C considered to be "cold" by us here in Georgia.
Old 02-08-13, 08:23 AM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back on the bike this morning after replacing two spokes on the rear wheel after work yesterday. I still have a little 'wobble' in the wheel and will take it to the bike shop tomorrow morning for a real true and check and to pick up some more spare spokes. Good news was they both broke on the non-cassette side, so I didn't have to take the wheel off the bike to do a repair. Commute today was overcast and warm (about 60 degrees) with no real wind. Rode in wearing shorts and a jersey and a light jacket. Very nice a warm here in south Florida, while the NE is getting slammed with a big snow storm...

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 02-08-13, 08:29 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
33F, wet, with a 30mph crosswind, headwind, tailwind, all over the place wind. I reminded myself of what's heading towards you all on the east coast and lowered my head and ground it out. While walking out the door I realized I'd forgotten my wallet - dodged that bullet and grabbed it, but then got to work with no underwear. I think it's time for a checklist on the bathroom mirror
Old 02-08-13, 10:53 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
i rode chicago's lakefront path this morning.

we had like 14 hours of freezing rain/sleet/snow/slush yesterday and it all froze solid overnight.

HOLY RUTTED ICE, Batman!

with the ice, and the oh so lovely 20 mph N wind right in my face the whole way, it took me 95 minutes to get from the west loop up to my job in evanston (14.5 miles), a new record! yes! at least my Marathon Winters kept me upright the whole way during that unholy ice-fest. i wanted to hug my tires when i got to work, but they were just a bit wet and sloppy.

i was so very late for work this morning.
Old 02-08-13, 04:06 PM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
but then got to work with no underwear.
Just wear your bike shorts all day.
Old 02-08-13, 04:38 PM
BassNotBass
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisM2097
Originally Posted by arsprod
... but then got to work with no underwear

Just wear your bike shorts all day.
What's this "underwear" thing you speak of?
Old 02-11-13, 07:36 AM
dcb23

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
East Coasters up North of me obviously offline for a few days...down here in DC it's rainy and well above freezing. And for once I suited up for rain even though it looked as if it had stopped outside...it hadn't.
Old 02-11-13, 08:07 AM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Easy ride in this morning. About 59 degrees at 7:05 when I rolled onto the street with a breeze from the East. Hit four of my five traffic lights green on the way in, but had to stop a couple times at street crossings for traffic to clear. All in all, it was a nice ride in and I really enjoyed the ride. South Florida is 'suffering through' one of the warmest winters we have had in a spell and the conditions are great for the commute.

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 02-11-13, 08:25 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride to work would've been nice this morning but the weather forecast are nnot good for tonight, freezing ice, snow, a mix of both, lot of wind.... So I took the minivan this morning. I hope I won't regret my choice tonight.
Old 02-11-13, 08:40 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
holy crap (that's my best description of today's ride), 37F and we're under a wind advisory. 35mph winds with gusts up to 50, just heard on the radio that they've closed sections of highway near Chicago. Fortunately, the wind's out of the west and my commute is mostly north/south. I think I may take the bus home!
Old 02-11-13, 09:00 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It felt really good to be back on the bike this morning after taking all week last week away. I was way too sick to ride last week, terrible cold, coughing and aches. I was heavily medicated all week long.
It was still a game-time decision this morning and I decided to give it a go. I had a few coughs while regathering myself. Otherwise, good ride.

It was wet but not raining, 48F light winds 5-10mph, it's supposed to be sunny on the way home high around 50.. The weather is too good to pass on, even if I am still a little under the weather.
Old 02-11-13, 09:41 AM
groovestew

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Second cycle-commute of the year! Well, I'm doing better than the last few years, anyway. At just below freezing, and no wind, I didn't really have much excuse to not cycle. Cold in the valley, though. The 150 foot drop in altitude seemed to correspond with a 10 degree drop in temperature...I'm sure it wasn't actually that much colder, but my fingers, face, and knees suddenly froze once in the valley. Climbing back out of the valley, I realized very quickly just how fat and out of shape I've become over the past couple months.
Old 02-11-13, 09:44 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It rained all day yesterday, about an inch and a half, and we're expecting steady rain for the next three days. So I added a top cover on my streamliner. I also made some rainboots from stray plastic grocery bags and vinyl pieces, semi-fused with a heat gun and then sprayed with black rubber. Some old inner tube rubber on bottom to grip the pedals. They look pretty good for a random first try but probably won't last more than the week. If I do it again "for real" I'll use an iron and wax paper to fully fuse the polyethylene bags and they'll be practically indestructible.

After all that it wasn't actually raining this morning. Maybe just a little, more misty than rain. I did have to climb around and over a large tree that had fallen across the path, taking a couple of its neighbors with it. I had it all to myself this morning other than a park worker who had driven out to take care of the debris. Curiously there were over a score of deer scattered about, and not the regulars because these were much more skittish. Maybe the rain has gotten them all stirred up, but I think that in certain kinds of weather they don't expect to see humans and just take the place over.
Old 02-11-13, 09:46 AM
Rudz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't need a headlights this morning, and the cold is disappearing, rode in an orange long sleeve and compression shirt. All was well untill a car cut me off and I put the bike down. SOB didn't even bother to stop either.
Old 02-11-13, 11:55 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
My hands were really cold when I got to work this morning. Problem with my commute in is that it's too short, and it's about that point in the ride where my hands and feet are at their coldest (~4.5 miles). A few more miles, and circulation gets going, and I get warmed back up. I might see if I can get out of bed a little earlier (yeah, right) and take the longer way, or something! 38F, wet roads, but no actual rain for a change.
Old 02-11-13, 03:22 PM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Loved the fog on the way in this morning. Absolutely brilliant riding conditions... temp around 40, slight tailwind, fog, and wet roads, though no rain falling anymore. Very nice. The warmer temps brought back out some of the riders I haven't seen in a long time. Probably more riders out this morning than any time in the last month or so that I remember.

The ride home promises to be into a 15-20 mph headwind, so not as fun, but warm with temps still in the 50s.
Old 02-11-13, 06:40 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buzzed by a ******nozzle in an SUV on the way home today. Otherwise a good commute. Got to try out the cargo capacity of my bike when I picked up a part for my car. The extra weight was noticeable but not too bad.
Old 02-11-13, 07:56 PM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Another joyful ride from SE to Bethesda this evening for work. Was forced to ride the "vintage" mountain bike in. So I figured why not make it worth the trip and take the C&O to Seven Lock Rd. The temp was great for shorts and a tee. The trail is saturated. "Sorry" to all the poor joggers who had to eat mud as I passed by.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.