Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Big “race” tomorrow - what do I need with me?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-23, 05:51 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

Hi all!

I think it’s a “gran fondo” rather than a race, but coming from the running world we call everything organised a “race”.

This is an organised ride of 210km and 2500m of elevation. I’m hoping to do in about 8 hours, but with a few stops I might be out for 10 hours (even more).

There are 5 water/electrolyte/2xgel/banana stops inc. 1 lunch stop.

I’m running tubeless, but will have 2 x co2 and 1 x tube, a multi tool.

2 x water bottles - both electrolyte/energy I think and several gels. Probably a bag of sweets.

They meet us with our own gear at 140km and I’ll put more sunscreen, a change of top (I sweat a lot), some electrolyte drinks I like, salt tablets, and bananas.

This will be the longest I’ve ever ridden and also longest I’ve been out exercising. I’ve done marathons before, but always finished much faster than 8 hours haha

What am I missing? What else would people take?

I know there’s no right answer and everybody will have different ideas so hopefully can stay civil! It’s just an idea generating exercise/making sure I don’t miss anything more experienced riders have found very useful/essential.

Conditions will be quite cool (autumn here in Australia), maybe a little wet, and there’s usually a wind here.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-23, 06:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Is there a chance that you could see unexpected cold or rain? Planning to bring something warm? If it gets cold over the last miles, you may be unabloe to go fast enough to generate enough heat. That will cost you a lot of time (and quite possibly sickness afterwards).

Lightweight, easy to stash warm items - Armwarmers. Hat. Light single layer jackets. A folded sheet of newspaper. (Don't laugh. That's been done and still is by the pros. Go to a major stage race and watch the entire peloton, not just the big shots at an alpine summit. You'll see lowly domestiques stuffing newspaper for the cold descent because they gotta finish warm and healthy to start tomorrow in good shape and they have no team cars anywhere around. And newspaper works! Fits in any jersey pocket.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-14-23, 06:07 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Another tube . . or two. I've only had the odd, infrequent flat on daily rides, but I make up for it with plenty of flats on longer rides in unknown areas. I have flatted three times in one day so I take three extra tubes on long rides (normal rides is two), especially if you're riding with a non-popular-sized wheel (650B comes to mind). Also take a mini pump if you have one, I'm not a fan of CO2 cartridges.
Old 04-14-23, 06:10 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
snickers
Old 04-14-23, 06:21 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Another tube . . or two. I've only had the odd, infrequent flat on daily rides, but I make up for it with plenty of flats on longer rides in unknown areas. I have flatted three times in one day so I take three extra tubes on long rides (normal rides is two), especially if you're riding with a non-popular-sized wheel (650B comes to mind). Also take a mini pump if you have one, I'm not a fan of CO2 cartridges.
Indeed, no point in carrying more tubes than cartridges.
Old 04-14-23, 06:28 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Bring more food than you think you'll need.

Barry
Old 04-14-23, 06:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Tire plugs.
Old 04-14-23, 07:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Credit card
Old 04-14-23, 07:33 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Ibuprofin
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 04-14-23, 08:36 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
You got good advice here and you sound prepared.
Draft other riders whenever possible.
Don't feel compelled to stop at every organized point.
Or, if you must stop, don't dilly dally or eat too much.
Enjoy the scenery. Good luck, pal.
Old 04-14-23, 08:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I’m doing an 80mi gravel event on Sunday. I expect it will take about 6 hours, and there are well-supported aid stations at 15mi (or less) intervals. I’m taking…

Tools - 2 TPU tubes, 3 CO2s, mini hand-pump, levers, multi-tool, Dynaplug tool, and about 18” of duct tape.
Snacks - 6 Clif gels, 2 protein bars, 2 packs of Skratch gummies, and 2 rice crispy treats. I will start with 2 large bottles of endurance/fuel mix and a 2L hydration pack of water. I expect to refill along the way, and lean on the aid stations.
Old 04-14-23, 09:33 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
A lot of endurance riders will bring a dill pickle or two, isn't much nutritionally but if you start to cramp the pickles help with it, haven't heard a good explanation why but I can say it works, easy to grab prepackaged at larger gas stations. Otherwise I'd toss a mini patch kit in to go with that extra CO2 cartridge, when did you last top up the tubeless sealant? If its been 2-3 months maybe toss a half amount in, I find there's an ok enough amount in at 3 months but by 6 its pretty much dry but for a longer ride where I wouldn't want a flat I'd want the typical, fresh install level of sealant.
Old 04-14-23, 09:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Bring whatever you would normally take on a ride like this. It is way way way waaaaaaaay to late to start messing with things. You want to figure this stuff out long in advance so you know what works and what doesn't well before a big ride or race. An experiment on an unknown ride could end poorly. Nutrition is not something you want to do a big change of a the ride.

I would bring whatever food and drink work for me while riding and enough for the length of time I need it plus maybe a little extra. I would bring the clothes I need for my body and if I thought it might get cold or wet. If you are getting a SAG wagon or drop-offs then you can have extra clothing and food with them and any repair items or whatever.
Old 04-15-23, 06:45 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
If you sweat a lot, when you change your jersey, also re-apply chamois cream.
Old 04-16-23, 04:10 AM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks all, plenty of great advice there and I availed myself of quite a bit of it.

Race didn’t go quite to plan and I had to switc to the shorter course after pulling something in my quads. It was a relatively cold day and disaster struck just after the lunch stop. Might have been able to nurse it home on a flat course, but there was no hiding here due to the hills.

Still a very enjoyable day and the actual gear prep certainly didn’t let me down!
Likes For Cramic:
Old 04-16-23, 04:20 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
Thanks all, plenty of great advice there and I availed myself of quite a bit of it.

Race didn’t go quite to plan and I had to switc to the shorter course after pulling something in my quads. It was a relatively cold day and disaster struck just after the lunch stop. Might have been able to nurse it home on a flat course, but there was no hiding here due to the hills.

Still a very enjoyable day and the actual gear prep certainly didn’t let me down!
Kudos and smart move to make the adjustment.
Old 04-16-23, 07:58 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I’m doing an 80mi gravel event on Sunday. I expect it will take about 6 hours, and there are well-supported aid stations at 15mi (or less) intervals. I’m taking…

Tools - 2 TPU tubes, 3 CO2s, mini hand-pump, levers, multi-tool, Dynaplug tool, and about 18” of duct tape.
Snacks - 6 Clif gels, 2 protein bars, 2 packs of Skratch gummies, and 2 rice crispy treats. I will start with 2 large bottles of endurance/fuel mix and a 2L hydration pack of water. I expect to refill along the way, and lean on the aid stations.
How do you carry spare duct tape? Just recently broken spoke and could have used some.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-16-23, 09:34 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
How do you carry spare duct tape? Just recently broken spoke and could have used some.
I like electrical tape a little more.
I wrap it around one of my frame tubes or on the bars, close to the stem.
If you choose duct tape, use electrical tape as a base layer.
Otherwise the duct tape leaves a gooey residue, especially in hot weather.