Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day goes wrong

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day goes wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-23, 10:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
You're just going all in with this aren't you.
Not yet.

We can take this further.

We know two things:

(1) The OP had an order mix-up
(2) Canyon told the OP that there were other instances of this.

If there were one or two mix-ups, then I agree that the most parsimonious explanation is that it was just a random, innocent mistake.

However, if there were a whole bunch of mis-fulfilled orders, we can start to suspect other explanations.

If the latter is the case, then with a bit more information, we could test the hypotheses, i.e.,

If it was a random, no-fault innocent series of mistakes, then one might expect a random distribution of mislabeled boxes (eg, for every M labeled S, there should be an S labeled M).

If something else was going on (involving intent on the part of even a single individual -- no conspiracy necessary), one might expect a systematic skewing, such that all of the mix-ups were of the form M substituted for S. If that is the case, Occam's Razor comes down rather unambiguously on the side of something else going on.
Old 07-13-23, 10:49 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,307 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Not yet.

We know two things:

If there were one or two mix-ups, then I agree that the most parsimonious explanation is that it was just a random, innocent mistake.

However, if there were a whole bunch of mis-fulfilled orders, we can start to suspect other explanations.

If the latter is the case, then with a bit more information, we could test the hypotheses, i.e.,

If it was a random, no-fault innocent series of mistakes, then one might expect a random distribution of mislabeled boxes (eg, for every M labeled S, there should be an S labeled M).

If something else was going on (involving intent on the part of even a single individual -- no conspiracy necessary), one might expect a systematic skewing, such that all of the mix-ups were of the form M substituted for S. If that is the case, Occam's Razor comes down rather unambiguously on the side of something else going on.
Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-14-23, 02:12 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Occam's Razor asserts that all other things being equal, we should favor the hypothesis with the fewest ad hoc assumptions.

Perhaps it is an ad hoc assumption for you to assume Canyon will behave differently from other businesses, such as LBS and GM.
You must be having a laugh right? I made 1 very simple assumption which doesn't involve GM swapping engines or some dodgy LBS salesman.
Old 07-14-23, 02:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Not yet.

We know two things:

You make a mundane logistics error sound very exciting. I ordered a jersey from 7-mesh last year and they sent me a pair of bib shorts by mistake. Well at least I presumed it was a mistake at the time, but now you have got me thinking. Maybe “something else” was going on?
Old 07-14-23, 05:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
I agree 100%. I typically buy local as I have with all of my previous bikes. I would have paid full price for the bike fit regardless of the outcome. It just doesn’t make sense to knowingly try to make the wrong size work. It was just a knee jerk reaction in a moment of frustration. I only went with the Canyon because they are a reputable company and I felt this spec Endurace was a great value. (Carbon, 105 Di2 for 2699 plus shipping).
you misread one of my posts. I ordered a small and the box and bike that showed up were medium. I am quite confident it was a mistake.
I know in my area, and I checked a random FL zipcode, you can take delivery of a Canyon via Velofix? Was this option not available to you? That said, I don't know whether if they show up at your door with the wrong size, it's still your problem, or whether it would be handled much differently.
Old 07-14-23, 06:15 AM
RJC1811

Bikes: Giant Defy 1, Univega Viva Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
OP, sorry to hear about your disappointment with Canyon, hopefully the return goes smoothly. I have a lower level Giant Defy (Aluminum frame) and I love it.

Having worked in distribution for 30 years I can say that even with a big focus on Lean principles, mistakes happen. I have no idea how Canyon’s operation works. It could be something as simple as when completed boxes of bikes are finished they get put in bays labeled with size and component group. When the order pickers come to grab a bike for an order, they grab one from the appropriate bay and ship it without really looking at what they are shipping. They just assume that what is in the bin is correct. If the wrong item was put in the bin, the wrong item gets shipped. This was one of our most recurring causes for wrong products being shipped.

That could also account for a large batch of mediums being shipped as smalls.
Old 07-14-23, 11:10 AM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I know in my area, and I checked a random FL zipcode, you can take delivery of a Canyon via Velofix? Was this option not available to you? That said, I don't know whether if they show up at your door with the wrong size, it's still your problem, or whether it would be handled much differently.
Velofix was not available in my area. I am not sure if that would have impacted the return process.

Originally Posted by RJC1811
OP, sorry to hear about your disappointment with Canyon, hopefully the return goes smoothly. I have a lower level Giant Defy (Aluminum frame) and I love it.

Having worked in distribution for 30 years I can say that even with a big focus on Lean principles, mistakes happen. I have no idea how Canyon’s operation works. It could be something as simple as when completed boxes of bikes are finished they get put in bays labeled with size and component group. When the order pickers come to grab a bike for an order, they grab one from the appropriate bay and ship it without really looking at what they are shipping. They just assume that what is in the bin is correct. If the wrong item was put in the bin, the wrong item gets shipped. This was one of our most recurring causes for wrong products being shipped.

That could also account for a large batch of mediums being shipped as smalls.
that’s EXACTLY what I assume happened.
Old 07-14-23, 11:42 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
They're not "keeping" your money. There is a charge on your credit card which will be cancelled out when they issue a credit for the return. And, they will almost certainly issue the credit within a day or two of receiving the bike, not 30 days.
Being a bike retailer, I mostly side with the dealer on these subject, but in this case, they shipped the wrong size, so something the OP did not order. If they cannot ship the correct item within a reasonable time, a refund should be issued. If they refuse I would get with the CC company and dispute (Amex is great with this, they will issue you a credit while they investigate). The only fault I see with the customer here, is opening and assemblying a bike that was labeled on the box, but roadies get that "new bike star eyed" thing, so it's kinda understandable.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 07-14-23, 11:53 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by wheelreason
If they cannot ship the correct item within a reasonable time, a refund should be issued.
They are going to issue a refund. That is not in dispute.
Old 07-14-23, 11:57 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
Well I will keep the thread updated with the return process but I will not be purchasing another Endurace for the time being. I looked at 4 LBS’s today and came home with a Giant Defy Advanced 1. Not nearly the value of the Endurace but the shop that I purchased from offered amazing customer service and the bike was really impressive on the test ride.
Congrats. You can't go wrong with a Giant Defy, that's for sure. It's an excellent endurance road bike. In fact, you can't go wrong with any Giant bicycles. Hopefully it's the 2023 with 105 DI2 instead of the 2022 with mechanical Ultegra!

Canyon lost a sale (and probably a customer) by dealing with this the way they did. I get that they can't trust people and that the bike has to be new and unridden for them to accept the return, but most people only have 1 bike, can't afford to pay twice pending reimbursement and/or don't have time to waste while waiting because the summer is not endless. Anyways, I still think you made a good decision with the Defy.
Old 07-14-23, 03:19 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Congrats. You can't go wrong with a Giant Defy, that's for sure. It's an excellent endurance road bike. In fact, you can't go wrong with any Giant bicycles. Hopefully it's the 2023 with 105 DI2 instead of the 2022 with mechanical Ultegra!

Canyon lost a sale (and probably a customer) by dealing with this the way they did. I get that they can't trust people and that the bike has to be new and unridden for them to accept the return, but most people only have 1 bike, can't afford to pay twice pending reimbursement and/or don't have time to waste while waiting because the summer is not endless. Anyways, I still think you made a good decision with the Defy.
The Defy is in fact the newest model with the 105 Di2. I am really excited about it. I also feel better about the purchase since I am supporting a local small business. I manage a small business myself and typically try to support local when I can. I was only going with the Endurace because it has good reviews and is around $1500-2000 less than most of the other Carbon bikes currently equipped with 105 Di2.

Originally Posted by wheelreason
Being a bike retailer, I mostly side with the dealer on these subject, but in this case, they shipped the wrong size, so something the OP did not order. If they cannot ship the correct item within a reasonable time, a refund should be issued. If they refuse I would get with the CC company and dispute (Amex is great with this, they will issue you a credit while they investigate). The only fault I see with the customer here, is opening and assemblying a bike that was labeled on the box, but roadies get that "new bike star eyed" thing, so it's kinda understandable.
I don’t suspect there will be any issue with getting the refund. From what I can tell Canyon is pretty good about issuing a full refund even on lightly used bikes returned within the 30 trial period. It’s more a matter of them not exchanging the product for the correct item. Their policy is to receive, inspect, then issue the refund. So the earliest one can expect a refund is 2-3 weeks with this policy. Then you have to reorder the replacement bike when it is available again. As for the label on the box, I was so excited I didn’t even notice it till after I realized the issue. There was a packing list which I did open before opening the box and it listed the correct item so I didn’t inspect beyond that. I definitely should have checked the frame prior to assembling it but that got lost in the starry eyed excitement that you described.
Old 07-14-23, 05:29 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
In case you weren't following along, here are the Cliff Notes:
- OP contacted Canyon.
- They acknowledged the error.
- They are taking the bike back and issuing a refund.

Not sure how it could be handled in a more satisfactory manner.

All the other scenarios floating about are just speculations made by the nattering nabobs.
Old 07-14-23, 08:20 PM
tomato coupe

All the other scenarios floating about are just speculations made by the nattering nabobs...
... of negativism.
Old 07-15-23, 07:17 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
In case you weren't following along, here are the Cliff Notes:
- OP contacted Canyon.
- They acknowledged the error.
- They are taking the bike back and issuing a refund.

All the other scenarios floating about are just speculations made by the nattering nabobs.
Thanks, I was following along just fine.
I am interested in knowing though how a Velofix facilitated purchase may differ in experience if the bike in some manner isn't correct (something broken, wrong size or model, etc)? Does a Canyon purchase hit your CC upon checkout, shipping, fulfillment?
Old 07-15-23, 08:03 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Spiro Agnew
The situation is really no different than with an LBS. If you called the LBS and told them they gave you the wrong item, they wouldn't issue a refund until you brought the item back.
So Canyon is completely justified in doing a thorough inspection of the wrong bike they innocently shipped out before deciding whether or not they can issue a refund, but inspecting the contents of the box before they shipped it out to make sure that it matched the order is somehow asking too much?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-15-23, 08:13 AM
tomato coupe

So Canyon is completely justified in doing a thorough inspection of the bike … before deciding whether or not they can issue a refund?
Yes, they are.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-15-23, 08:21 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Yes, they are.
Clearly, in this case, the time for Canyon to have done an inspection of the contents of the box was before they shipped it out and charged the OP for something he did not order.

For them to turn around and tell the OP that the refund is contingent upon the inspection of the contents once they returned is a tad hypocritical, and probably illegal under CA consumer protection law.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-15-23, 08:27 AM
tomato coupe

Clearly, in this case, the time for Canyon to have done an inspection of the contents of the box was before they shipped it out and charged the OP for something he did not order.

For them to turn around and tell the OP that the refund is contingent upon the inspection of the contents once they returned is a tad hypocritical, and probably illegal under CA consumer protection law.
Are you new to online shopping? The vast majority of online retailers issue a refund after they receive the returned item.
Old 07-15-23, 08:34 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Spiro Agnew
Are you new to online shopping? The vast majority of online retailers issue a refund after they receive the returned item.
Are you new to consumer transactions? The vast majority of online retailers ship the product that was ordered. The legal system has a word for this. It is called a contract.

However, your tenacity defending the helpless corporation against the all-powerful consumer is very touching.

BTW, I am not suggesting that the refund should be issued before the item is returned. I am objecting to the idea that the refund is contingent upon the very same type of inspection that Canyon apparently couldn't be bothered to do before shipping the item out. It takes a special type of apologist not to recognize that double-standard.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-15-23, 08:51 AM
tomato coupe

Are you new to consumer transactions? The vast majority of online retailers ship the product that was ordered. The legal system has a word for this. It is called a contract.
You live in a dream world. Every online retailer makes mistakes, and the vast majority have similar policies for dealing with returns and exchanges.
Old 07-15-23, 08:54 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

And this stupid argument started when I had the temerity to suggest that "the bank never makes a mistake in your favor."
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-15-23, 09:07 AM
tomato coupe

And this stupid argument started when I had the temerity to suggest that "the bank never makes a mistake in your favor."
Actually, it was when you made the absurd claim that Canyon shipped the wrong size bike intentionally, hoping the OP wouldn't notice.

Once a bank (or, more accurately, its ATM) made a mistake in my favor. But a more realistic (cynical) interpretation is that they sold something they didn't have, so they did a substitution with the hope that the buyer wouldn't care, or wouldn't make a fuss out of it.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-15-23, 09:12 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Actually, it was when you made the absurd claim that Canyon shipped the wrong size bike intentionally, hoping the OP wouldn't notice.
It is a possibility. We can get a better idea only if we have more information, i.e., whether all of their "mistakes" were substitutions of M for S, for example. If so, that is suggestive. If it is a random mix-up, it would not suggest intent.

But it makes no difference to the OP. The relevant fact is that Canyon shipped the wrong bike, and thus violated the sales contract. It is on them to make it right, not the OP. Did Canyon compensate the OP for lost time for re-packing and delivering the box to Fed Exp? Is Canyon willing to pay interest on the payment for the goods it failed to deliver?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-15-23, 09:22 AM
tomato coupe

It is a possibility. We can get a better idea only if we have more information, i.e., whether all of their "mistakes" were substitutions of M for S, for example. If so, that is suggestive. If it is a random mix-up, it would not suggest intent.
You didn't state it was a "possibility', you stated it was "more realistic." You directly accused Canyon of intentionally shipping the wrong bike.

The relevant fact is that Canyon shipped the wrong bike, and thus violated the sales contract. It is on them to make it right, not the OP. Did Canyon compensate the OP for lost time for re-packing and delivering the box to Fed Exp? Is Canyon willing to pay interest on the payment for the goods it failed to deliver?
As stated, you're living in a fantasy world if you think Canyon (or any other online retailer) is going to compensate someone for the time it takes to re-pack an item and ship it back. Your understanding of contracts and how it applies to this situation is dismal.
Old 07-15-23, 09:33 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

You didn't state it was a "possibility', you stated it was "more realistic." You directly accused Canyon of intentionally shipping the wrong bike.
Your reading comprehension is quite poor. Here is what I wrote:

Once a bank (or, more accurately, its ATM) made a mistake in my favor. But a more realistic (cynical) interpretation is that they sold something they didn't have, so they did a substitution with the hope that the buyer wouldn't care, or wouldn't make a fuss out of it.
Then, ...

Not only are they not apologizing, they are treating it as a routine return/refund request, with the implication they can deny it if they find a scratch on the frame.

That isn't how one deals with an honest mistake.

It isn't even consistent from how they treated me (well) with a recall of a frame component several years ago.
and ...

I don't think the substitution happened in the US. Regardless of the motive or intentionality, I think it is safe to assume it happened where it was manufactured. In other words, whomever did it doesn't directly have to answer for it.
and ...

The motive would be to sell a bike now, rather than later. I'm not suggesting that actually happened. I am speculating that it could have happened, in exactly the same way a LBS can push someone to buy a bike that is not their size so that they can move the inventory. (Canyon, to their credit, strongly discourages buying a bike that is not the recommended size.)

Nonetheless, Canyon made a mistake (or whatever), not the OP. That much is completely unambiguous. They should do something more than simply allow him to return the bike, get on a waiting list, and meanwhile have him hope that they don't find a scratch on the frame or some other reason to deny him a full refund.
and ...

Not yet.

We know two things:

I think you owe me an apology.

[As stated, you're living in a fantasy world if you think Canyon (or any other online retailer) is going to compensate someone for the time it takes to re-pack an item and ship it back. Your understanding of contracts and how it applies to this situation is dismal.
I recognize that would never happen. It does not follow that the aggrieved party is not entitled to compensation.
Likes For Polaris OBark:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.