Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do I choose a new saddle?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-23, 05:31 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Ok. I bought one from a different seller. He had a white saddle. It’s worth trying.
For the price, you really can't go wrong. You can always Facebook Marketplace it for what you paid if you don't like it. Shoot me a message after you have tried it.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-20-23, 07:55 PM
77Eric

Bikes: Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Last time I was in the market for a new saddle I used the fizik saddle finder app. It worked well for me and I ended up buying one of their saddles that I’ve been very happy with but you can use it to buy any saddle you want. Worth a try I think to at least point you towards a saddle shape that fits your riding style, body type, etc.
Old 07-21-23, 03:48 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I hope the Cobb saddle works for you. I have a Pro SR. They are no cookie cutter machine built saddles, you can tell they're assembled by hand with care, and in the USA.

BTW, the Randee is 145mm wide. Here's a website that did writes about it. https://aerogeeks.com/2014/07/03/cob...ee-first-look/

The updated version is now called the Type R, R for Randee of course ! https://speedandcomfort.com/products/type-r

DO look at Cobb's setup guide for your saddle, it's very helpful ! https://speedandcomfort.com/pages/saddle-set-up-guide
Likes For Garthr:
Old 07-21-23, 05:15 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Saddle are a personal fit thing, like shoes. What might be excellent for me might be torture for you. Generally speaking, more expensive means lighter, but is not a guarantee of being more comfortable. Unfortunately, until you have experience enough to know what type of shapes work for you, it's matter of trail and error. Also be aware that adjustments to fore-aft position and tilt can significantly effect comfort.
My TEST was a 100 Mile Ride.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 07-21-23, 06:18 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Too many cheesy puns!
Gran Fondue....
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 07-21-23, 06:24 AM
wheelreason

Why do cyclists who ride longer distances prefer saddles with less padding?
I think I don’t really understand how saddles work.
Because usually they are supporting less of their weight on the saddle, they are pedaling faster cadences, and they have lots of time on the saddle. Try doing a century with a beach cruiser saddle and it will become obvious. Taht being said, saddle preference is strictly personal preference, don't fall for all the hype. I'm still riding (and will ride until I die) a Turbo saddle on all my bikes.
Old 07-21-23, 06:27 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I won’t be doing rides that long-most likely 25-30 miles.
You buy directly from Selle?
You've referred a couple times to "Selle" saddles. I think in this instance you're replying to someone who referred to Selle Anatomica.
That's one company. There's also Selle Italia and Selle San Marco. All different companies. Selle just means saddles in italian.

In the US, especially for Selle Italia, it often makes sense to purchase from an overseas (Europe) seller -- often half the price vs. US list and MAP pricing.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-21-23, 06:33 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You've referred a couple times to "Selle" saddles. I think in this instance you're replying to someone who referred to Selle Anatomica.
That's one company. There's also Selle Italia and Selle San Marco. All different companies. Selle just means saddles in italian.

In the US, especially for Selle Italia, it often makes sense to purchase from an overseas (Europe) seller -- often half the price vs. US list and MAP pricing.
Ahh. I thought it was all one company with different saddle lines.
Old 07-21-23, 12:26 PM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Selle Uranus
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 07-24-23, 10:06 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

There was a question about my sit bone width.
I went bach over my notes and the 155mm was the width of the seat I need, not my bone width.
I’m sorry but I don’t have a prize for whoever got it right. 😎

Last edited by pepperbelly; 07-24-23 at 06:33 PM.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 07-24-23, 04:26 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
You just buy one. And if you don't like it, you mount it on a bike you're going to sell. Then you buy another saddle. And you repeat these steps until you figure it all out.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-24-23, 04:56 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I try to buy as much from my local REI store as possible. Make it easy to do returns when something is not quite right. I bought a Ergon SMC Sport Gel saddle for men from them in March for $90 and for me it has been a good saddle. One can pay more to get a lighter frame or simply pay more as the brand sells at a premium price for who knows what reason.

In the old days of leather saddles one paid more for better leather and better workmanship and understood that there would be a lengthy break-in period. With the use of plastics the saddles are comfortable or not on day one.
Old 07-27-23, 01:18 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

The Cobb Randee saddle I bought on Ebay arrived. I mounted it but haven’t adjusted or ridden on it yet.
I did notice the padding seems much firmer than the Specialized Toupe I had on it.
I double checked my sit bone width at the lbs and it shows I need a saddle 155mm wise. My Toupe is 143mm. The new Cobb is about the same width. Is the enough too narrow to cause discomfort?
Old 07-27-23, 03:07 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
The Cobb Randee saddle I bought on Ebay arrived. I mounted it but haven’t adjusted or ridden on it yet.
I did notice the padding seems much firmer than the Specialized Toupe I had on it.
I double checked my sit bone width at the lbs and it shows I need a saddle 155mm wise. My Toupe is 143mm. The new Cobb is about the same width. Is the enough too narrow to cause discomfort?
My understanding (and personal experience) is that too narrow doesn't support your sit bones and you will suffer, but you already bought the saddle and you already get pain every ride, so what have you got to lose by trying it?

You might want to try the Fabric Scoop Radius Gel next. It's 155mm wide and costs about $35 at the rainforest. I'm loving mine, even over the 142mm wide version (I measure for 140). Specialized Power 155 or even 168 is another favorite, but it's $$$
Old 07-27-23, 03:43 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by urbanknight
My understanding (and personal experience) is that too narrow doesn't support your sit bones and you will suffer, but you already bought the saddle and you already get pain every ride, so what have you got to lose by trying it?

You might want to try the Fabric Scoop Radius Gel next. It's 155mm wide and costs about $35 at the rainforest. I'm loving mine, even over the 142mm wide version (I measure for 140). Specialized Power 155 or even 168 is another favorite, but it's $$$
I will be trying it, probably tomorrow morning.
My lbs has a Selle saddle I may try if this one is too uncomfortable.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 07-27-23, 04:57 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I am curious why there are so many new Cobb Randee saddles being sold on Ebay for $35-$40 when they sell elsewhere for $170-230.

New old stock? I see several different logos on the Randee saddles offered for sale.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 07-28-23 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Added question
Old 07-28-23, 10:06 AM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 75 Posts
I agree there is no substitute for actually trying the saddle. I live in a remote area and that is difficult, but perseverance will pay off. I lucked out with some vintage bikes and found that Selle Italia Flight and Avocet o2 saddles were great from the beginning. The Selle San Marco Rolls is a different story. I have not given up on that saddle yet, but it is taking more adjustment to get comfortable. The basket type saddles like the Selle Anatomica just did not work, even when tensioned per manufacturer's instructions. But for modern bikes the Selle Italia Boost SLR series works the best and I came by that only after trial and error. You will end up with a basket of saddles but your bottom will thank you.

Mike
Old 07-28-23, 11:04 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by IcySwan1
I agree there is no substitute for actually trying the saddle. I live in a remote area and that is difficult, but perseverance will pay off. I lucked out with some vintage bikes and found that Selle Italia Flight and Avocet o2 saddles were great from the beginning. The Selle San Marco Rolls is a different story. I have not given up on that saddle yet, but it is taking more adjustment to get comfortable. The basket type saddles like the Selle Anatomica just did not work, even when tensioned per manufacturer's instructions. But for modern bikes the Selle Italia Boost SLR series works the best and I came by that only after trial and error. You will end up with a basket of saddles but your bottom will thank you.

Mike
My lbs has a saddle I might get. It’s a Selle Superflow-something. It is softer than other saddles I have looked at. I think it’s for recreational riders, which is what I am, at least for now. I will have the others for when I lose more weight and start riding longer-if I do.
For now I need something so pain doesn’t keep me from riding.
The Selle is also the correct width.
Old 07-28-23, 12:24 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

My lbs has a saddle I might get. It’s a Selle Superflow-something. It is softer than other saddles I have looked at. I think it’s for recreational riders, which is what I am, at least for now. I will have the others for when I lose more weight and start riding longer-if I do.
For now I need something so pain doesn’t keep me from riding.
The Selle is also the correct width.
Quoting myself for this. I tried a very short time on the Cobb again. It isn’t as bad as I first thought. I will put some miles on this before buying a different saddle.
Old 07-29-23, 02:16 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I am curious why there are so many new Cobb Randee saddles being sold on Ebay for $35-$40 when they sell elsewhere for $170-230.

New old stock? I see several different logos on the Randee saddles offered for sale.
Pepperbelly, the saddles being sold by various sellers on ebay are indeed a form of new/old stock, but non-retail packaging as if you buy a retail one it does comes in a box. I say a "form" of NOS as Cobb recently went through a brand name change which involved renaming a number of models due to various factors which the author of this article expresses here : https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...e-up_7565.html .
because of ownership changes, intellectual property, contractual disputes, brand confusion, and the need to move forward, the brand of the saddle is now JCOB. Do you want the business particulars? Probably not​​​​​​
Who knows how these various sellers on ebay acquired them. Some of the models being sold are discontinued models altogether. That they have no retail packaging, maybe they were intended for complimentary distribution among sponsored athletes or other professionals. Just a guess as I don't have a clue how a business may be run !
Likes For Garthr:
Old 07-29-23, 10:48 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Pepperbelly, the saddles being sold by various sellers on ebay are indeed a form of new/old stock, but non-retail packaging as if you buy a retail one it does comes in a box. I say a "form" of NOS as Cobb recently went through a brand name change which involved renaming a number of models due to various factors which the author of this article expresses here : https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...e-up_7565.html .

Who knows how these various sellers on ebay acquired them. Some of the models being sold are discontinued models altogether. That they have no retail packaging, maybe they were intended for complimentary distribution among sponsored athletes or other professionals. Just a guess as I don't have a clue how a business may be run !
About a couple years ago many hundreds of Cobb saddles were donated to Goodwill at several different localities. I suspected directly from Cobb. They were reselling those things in bulk and individually for a long time on their auction site. I think that's why they are readily available NOS on ebay to this day.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 07-29-23, 06:49 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
About a couple years ago many hundreds of Cobb saddles were donated to Goodwill at several different localities. I suspected directly from Cobb. They were reselling those things in bulk and individually for a long time on their auction site. I think that's why they are readily available NOS on ebay to this day.
my first Flite saddle came over on the boat with Columbus
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-29-23, 07:23 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Paul Barnard will give you your money back.
Old 07-29-23, 07:48 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Paul Barnard will give you your money back.
I’m not unhappy. I just had questions.
Old 07-30-23, 11:55 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I got out this morning for a quick, short ride. I still need to tweak the position but I think it will be ok.
I rode 5 miles averaging 12.5mph. The Cobb saddle felt almost hard when I first sat on it but after a mile or less I really didn’t notice the saddle at all. After 5 miles I had no discomfort at all. I know that is a short test but my hiney is happy with it.
It may even get a little better as I break it in.
I did notice that it is really slick. I guess that will go away as I ride it.
Likes For pepperbelly:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.