Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 06:06 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
The stretch of road I complained about being tore up last week, over a mile of it and busted a tube on it is done and slick as a goat's ***. Beautiful ride. I keep thinking the great weather will end soon but just nice day after nice day.
Old 10-07-08, 06:23 AM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the first time since this spring, I could see my breath! It was 37 degrees when I left the house. I need mittens to go over my gloves. Other than my hands and my little nose, though, I stayed warm.

Nice ride, by the way. Traffic was polite, stoplights were in my favor, and the stars were even brighter and prettier than normal. I know, they're always the same stars, but some days they just show up better.

When I got to work, one of the paramedics (who is also a bike commuter) complimented me on how well I was lit up. Score!
Old 10-07-08, 06:27 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I left 30 minutes earlier than normal. I was ready, and didn't want to give myself any time to decide to drive.

It was 48 degrees, dark, and quiet. My new hat and gloves worked great. My long-sleeved cotton shirt over the top of my short sleeve shirt got too warm. I'm still waiting on cold-weather gear to be delivered.

The first 20 minutes of my commute were beautiful. Later, traffic started to pick up, but nobody was aggressive.

I've been at work for 15 minutes already, and haven't bothered to get coffee yet. I feel really awake.

Weirdest thing in my panniers today?
4th Annual Thoroughbreds and Redheads Weekend (2005) Bottle of Maker's Mark Bourbon

Last edited by dcrowell; 10-07-08 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-07-08, 06:38 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I had to work (unexpectedly) late last night; didn't get to bed until 11:00 (way past my bedtime). I did prep the bike last night for riding. It was warm, humid and rained last night. Woke up at 4:00 am, wondered if it was worth getting up, but got up anyways. Had breakfast, showered, shaved, kissed the wife good-bye. She asked if I was riding and I said yes. She told me that it's suppose to rain and possible thunder showers today. So? I've got rain gear and I laugh in the face of danger (actually, it's more like a nervous chuckle).

Took off at 6:02. Temperature was 76°, humidity 89%, dark, so I had all my lights on, including my Down Low Glow (first time riding with it and it ROCKS! ). Nice easy ride to work. Passed a bike ninja riding a roadie with wire basket panniers and got passed by some ninja geezer on a hybrid. Total ride time was 47 minutes, averaging 12.7 mph. Not my fastest time, but I was in no hurry. Overall, a beautiful and pleasant ride.
Old 10-07-08, 06:51 AM
Thomas Brock

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other than I left late, again, the ride was great.

I've been using the iPod with one earbud in and it's really made my rides faster (approximately 30 minutes for 6 1/2 miles as opposed to 35-38 minutes for 6 1/2 miles).

I hit my first majorette milestone : 500 commuting miles since August 15th. I know it's not much compared to some of ya'll, but it's a bit of a big deal for me. I shall be having a beer tonight to celebrate.
Old 10-07-08, 06:53 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not good. I overslept this morning and my legs were completely gone from training last night. I definitely had a lot temptation to bring the car, but I toughed it out and rode the bike instead. This was unlucky number 13 for me, as far as total number of commutes.

Edit: I saw 2 cycle commuters yesterday. That was the most I've ever seen in one day. They were dressed in normal clothes, one riding on the sidewalk, the other on the street against traffic.

Last edited by SouthFLpix; 10-07-08 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-07-08, 06:54 AM
KLW2

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wet, but still fun!
Old 10-07-08, 06:55 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
It was good to get back in the saddle again after yesterday's rain. I find I'm using high gears more often, even on hills, and that my commute is becoming a series of sprints instead of a plodding pace.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-07-08, 07:25 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So i turned onto hwy 625 and there in the distance was another cyclist. Easy to spot a blinky in pitch black. Then as i make my way, another cyclist turns in front of me. 3 cyclists on hwy625! ... suddently i don't feel so special. Actually it's pretty cool to see other cyclists, and it also make you feel safer.
Old 10-07-08, 07:34 AM
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
felt really strong today, the hills all seemed flatter and shorter. the wind was non-existant. caught most of the lights green. I made lousy time. go figure.

Change you can believe in - Bigfoot Nessie 08
Old 10-07-08, 07:34 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pig_Chaser
So i turned onto hwy 625 and there in the distance was another cyclist. Easy to spot a blinky in pitch black. Then as i make my way, another cyclist turns in front of me. 3 cyclists on hwy625! ... suddently i don't feel so special. Actually it's pretty cool to see other cyclists, and it also make you feel safer.
+1 I (almost) never see another bicyclist on the road. The ones I do are either on a side street or just resting. First time I passed, and was passed by, another bicyclist on my commute.
Old 10-07-08, 07:53 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cold cold cold this morning. We get to the car and it's coated with ice, and then realize that we had put the scrapers in storage.

Riding into work (bike-car today) the drivetrain is making weird clicking noises. I cleaned the chain and teeth the other day, so I'm guessing there's a problem with the bottom bracket.

My bands:
Old 10-07-08, 08:34 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It started out nice, with the sunrise creating little pink and purple tufts of cloud ahead of us, and no wind to speak of. My first warning sign was that there was a car going by at our first stop sign. Instead of a dab-and-go, we had to wait. Weird. Next stop sign, same thing. Hmmmm. Next one - clear. After that, we got stuck behind cars everywhere. I even had a 3-light delay at one point, because some idiot was blocking two lanes of traffic and I couldn't sneak out and around. If you miss that first series of lights, you're screwed.
Old 10-07-08, 08:42 AM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wicked cold and couldn't find my beanie, today. At an intersection w/ two other commuters, one of whom commented on my pace when he caught up to me at a stop after I dropped him. Yelled at and almost got hit when a d-bag in a white SUV merged into my lane from a turning lane without signaling. He saw me after I started yelling, though, stupid prick.
Old 10-07-08, 08:48 AM
WillynHook
IguanaFred Rider

Bikes: Giant Iguana - Freded-Up since 1992

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gorgeous, slight northern wind in the face, but really pretty.
Old 10-07-08, 10:16 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A scene that made my day! I was closing up my locker when I noticed a bike cop followed an SUV into the parking garage. He was pulling over the driver for using her cell phone. Woo hoo! I've never seen that law enforced until today. Way to go, Blue!
Old 10-07-08, 10:30 AM
Caleab

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good ride to work this morning. Getting a bit chilly. Bought some gloves yesterday at a LBS and they helped. I hope I can gather some more fall/winter riding clothes soon. Shorts aren't really cutting it at 50 degrees. 8)

I need panniers in a major way, but not sure which brand to go with. I currently have a trek back rack and unsure whether or not it's worth paying more for trek panniers (that use the interchange system) or just get some of the others I've seen.
Old 10-07-08, 10:35 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
chilly and sunny, i love the cool fall mornings, cleaned my chain last night so the bike was a little easier to get rolling

Old 10-07-08, 11:55 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
A little warmer this morning at 38*F. Took a couple of minutes to get my HID to light up, I think it's either a bad connection or the lamp is starting to go. I'm going to mount my halogen as a backup, at least until my new flashlight gets here (Shipping for DX is slowwwww-it took 3+ weeks to ship, and it's been a week and tracking still doesn't show it as in the US).

Anyway, Tue/Thu are days I drop my daughter off at school for early band practice, then I park in the school lot and ride to work - this means I get to ride a fully paved route, which means a lot more time at a fun speed, 25 MPH or so. My normal route is almost half gravel and has many more and steeper hills. So this is a fun route even though it involves a little driving.
Old 10-07-08, 12:11 PM
sasquatch2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats!

I hit my first majorette milestone : 500 commuting miles since August 15th. I know it's not much compared to some of ya'll, but it's a bit of a big deal for me. I shall be having a beer tonight to celebrate.[/QUOTE]

that's definitely a big deal, congrats.
Old 10-07-08, 12:36 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Nice speedy ride. After I dropped the 7 yr old at his school and was heading back to the MUP, skies open and it was just DUMPING rain on me, but I happened to be under some really thick maple trees so had a great opportunity to stop and pull my raincoat out of the pannier for the rest of the very wet ride.
Old 10-07-08, 12:38 PM
habernac
commuting Canuck

Bikes: 07 Rocky Mtn ETSX-70, 00 Rocky Mountain Hammer (commuter) 98 Lemond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice on the way in, warmer than yesterday. The weather has just taken a turn for the worse, hope it gets better in the next 4 hours.
Old 10-07-08, 01:18 PM
chuyim
Commuter on a Folder

Bikes: Dahon Speed D7 / P8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunny, crisp, but cold today in Boston. I had my screaming yellow vest over my 3/4 coat. Need to shop for a wind jacket and full-finger gloves soon.
Old 10-07-08, 02:00 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful day. Rode 30 miles, then my legs gave out....I literally couldn't pump any more...I was so mad/embarrassed that I had to call my wife to come get me...this is the most that I have ridden in one sitting so far...I kinda feel like crap, I think I might have over exerted myself...but I'll rest tonight and see how I feel tomorrow.
Old 10-07-08, 02:50 PM
VolGirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's raining. That means I get to wear my big, yellow cape on the ride home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.