Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08, 01:03 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Today is my fourth consecutive day of riding to work, a first for me. Today's ride was uneventful; partly sunny, low 80s, typical Sunday traffic (with the exception of Cruisin' the Coast, which didn't affect my ride).

Last night's ride was my first dusk ride home. There was a fair amount of light when I left, but the last third of the ride it was getting fairly dark. As I was riding down Collins Road, a kid, probably about 7 or 8 years old, playing with a skateboard saw me ride past with my Down Low Glow and exclaimed, "Oh, cool!" That made me smile the rest of the way home.
Old 10-12-08, 08:00 PM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride home was just like the ride in (drizzly, cold, mind wandering to places that involve warmth and laziness) only wetter.

On the plus side, the leaves looked absolutely beautiful. The cold weather must have given those slacker trees that were still green the kick in the butt they needed to turn yellow and orange and red.

Pretty!
Old 10-12-08, 10:21 PM
slloth

Bikes: '72 peugeot PX10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by girljen
The ride home was just like the ride in (drizzly, cold, mind wandering to places that involve warmth and laziness) only wetter.

On the plus side, the leaves looked absolutely beautiful. The cold weather must have given those slacker trees that were still green the kick in the butt they needed to turn yellow and orange and red.

Pretty!
I gather you are an optimist. The perfect bike commuter. Bike commuting is not for the faint of heart.

Only the strong survive!
Old 10-13-08, 05:58 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I overslept this morning by 45 minutes. I briefly considered driving, but that was depressing because the weather is absolutely perfect right now -- morning lows in upper 50s, afternoon highs in the upper 70s. So I threw my clothes on and headed to work with no breakfast. Stashed some instant oatmeal, an apple and banana in my seatbag. I made great time riding to work, even with no breakfast and catching every red light along the way. Karma was with me because someone left a package of blueberry muffins in our break room at work. Made it to work on time, although a few minutes later than usual.
Old 10-13-08, 06:26 AM
girljen
Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slloth
I gather you are an optimist. The perfect bike commuter. Bike commuting is not for the faint of heart.

Only the strong survive!
Thanks! I looked at this thread before work and it was just the motivation I needed to get my butt out there.

Not a bad ride. The fog was cool to look at but didn't mess anything up, I had good stoplight mojo, and I made good time. My hands got cold, so I'll get some better gloves over the weekend.
Old 10-13-08, 06:56 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful ride this morning. A tad warmer than last week, and mostly clear skies. It was hard to watch the road instead of looking at the stars.

Traffic on the bridge was light, and on the second half of it, I flew downhill to a green light, and made a high-speed right-turn onto Main Street. It was great.

Now, I have to work, or something.
Old 10-13-08, 07:21 AM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This weather is nuts, it was almost 80 yesterday, suppose to be near it today...ride in was a warm 55. Almost T-boned but this ahole who just had to get on the expressway ramp just as I was passing by it.

But traffic was very light so the rest of the ride was nice.
Old 10-13-08, 09:04 AM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Traffic was really backed up on the road I normally take so I went my alternate route. It's a little longer (and a lot more hilly) but I didn't feel like dealing with the idiots who'd already blocked the intersection. If you don't get a simple concept like "don't go into the intersection unless there's room", do I really want to trust your ability to drive a car?
Old 10-13-08, 09:17 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freight train stopped on the crossing I take. Had to take an alternate route on a 4-lane road that features a narrow viaduct under the tracks. Some dillweed decided that the way to handle the awful presence of a bicycle on the roadway was to lay on the horn a bunch of times.
Old 10-13-08, 09:49 AM
gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went into work earlier than usual, putting me right in the middle of bike/scooter rush hour, but no major hassles or holdups. Lovely temperature -- about 23C/73F -- and no wind, but a bit hazy. I knew it was going to be a busy day and the temptation to just keep riding past my office building was significant .

12.5 hours later, the ride home was great, too... no traffic, no wind and I was flying! I could tell the air quality wasn't so hot, though. I wish they'd finish fixing the roads on the side of Suzhou Creek... it's going to be great when they get the trees planted and when there's less construction dust in the air.
Old 10-13-08, 10:51 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
misty
Old 10-13-08, 11:01 AM
DavidW56

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My ride this morning was pleasant, although I needed a light windbreaker to keep the chill off. It was around 53 degrees, calm, cloudy, and dry. I had to remove the jacket as I waiting to cross the street in front of my building -- already I was too warm.

As for anyone yelling at me to ride in the street instead of the sidewalk -- No. Way. Period. Not Michigan Ave. at rush hour. Not a chance.
Old 10-13-08, 03:29 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Started at 33 degrees and is now 51 as I head back home .... gotta love this time of year
Old 10-13-08, 06:00 PM
ironhorse3

Bikes: Diamondback entry level.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride was good; it's in the 50's here. Having some afternoons in the 80's this week.

Last edited by ironhorse3; 10-13-08 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-13-08, 08:48 PM
funrover 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it ended up being a fun/bummer mix. On the return trip home I snapped a spoke while stopping for a pedestrian. but I did run across a couple people doing a tour and talked to the for a little bit, they where heading to Pueblo for today and asked a few questions. It was cool to see. A nice bianchi and a cannondale!
Old 10-13-08, 08:48 PM
girljen
Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride home was dry and comfy. It was cold outside, but I was dressed for it. I spent the first part of the ride going faster than I realized...I guess I had stress to burn.

I saw a fox. It decided it wanted nothing to do with me, and ran (or, as I explained to my Seuss-loving toddler, "I saw a fox. He was not wearing socks. He did not make my tongue blab any blibber blubber. He just jumped into the trees while the freezy breeze blew." ).

It was nice to be immersed in nature after such a bummer day at work.
Old 10-13-08, 11:25 PM
funrover 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by girljen
The ride home was dry and comfy. It was cold outside, but I was dressed for it. I spent the first part of the ride going faster than I realized...I guess I had stress to burn.

I saw a fox. It decided it wanted nothing to do with me, and ran (or, as I explained to my Seuss-loving toddler, "I saw a fox. He was not wearing socks. He did not make my tongue blab any blibber blubber. He just jumped into the trees while the freezy breeze blew." ).

It was nice to be immersed in nature after such a bummer day at work.
I hear that, it's amazing after a crazy day how a ride can help!
Old 10-14-08, 06:09 AM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here, here on the stress burner.

It's still that wacky temperature in the morning, not warm enough, not cool enough...and all the idiots were back to work and school after the holiday racing to those red lights...but a nice ride in just the same.
Old 10-14-08, 06:09 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Left to work early today after oversleeping and leaving late yesterday. Good thing. The batteries in my headlight started to go dead about 1/3 of the way through my commute, so I had to pull over under a streetlight and replace them. After that, I caught every red light along the way. So much for getting to work early. But, heh, it was a beautiful mild and clear morning, and this afternoon it's supposed to be in the low 80s. Can't beat that.
Old 10-14-08, 06:16 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
63 degrees this morning at 0530 when I left the house. Maybe Al Gore is on to something with this global warming thing. I dont know what he is so upset about, I kinda like it.
Old 10-14-08, 06:31 AM
girljen
Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spent the whole ride thinking of ways to upgrade my winter commuting gear. I started out way too cold, so I went back in and put on my coat. Then, by the time I got to work, I was way too hot. I have a feeling I could find something better than cotton thermals, too...if I'm going to be riding all winter (which I am), it better be pleasant.

This morning's ride was illuminated by a bright, full moon. It was nifty! And I learned that I can leave the house as late as 0526 and still make it to work on time.
Old 10-14-08, 07:10 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually hate the ride home. Drivers are more impatient. It's more uphill. There is often a headwind.

I ate a snack two hours before I left work last night. I also left later than normal. That definitely improved the ride.

There were still a few idiot drivers, but traffic was lighter. I didn't tire as easily. I couldn't do anything about hills and headwind though.

This morning, it was even warmer than yesterday morning. It was pretty cloudy, but no rain. Overall a good ride.
Old 10-14-08, 07:55 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i had to drop my car off this morning to have some work done on it, i had my bike and my bag in the car so i left the car and biked to work from the garage and took a different route which is always exciting, there was a slight drizzle too but it cleared as i was getting closer to my destination

it hurts a little to have to put money into the car but it has to be done

Old 10-14-08, 08:09 AM
Thomas Brock

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dark, cool (but not too cold) and pretty darned alright. Had a great big red moon pushing me in, too.
Old 10-14-08, 08:22 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Urg. I'm coming off of a nasty cold this past weekend, and I'm still light-headed today. The crap in my lungs is starting to come out, which is a good sign.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.