Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 10:46 AM
Tobias Greenich
Lone-Star-Fred

Bikes: 08 Motobecane Fantom CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First commute on the new bike! Time for first impressions.

Quite honestly, moving from the bike I was previously riding to the Motobecane is like night and day. It's snappy and responsive, and having working gears is nice (I've been riding my other bike single speed). I'm still perfecting the fit of the bike, but it's the right size, and I already love riding it.

It came with toeclips, and I've kept them on just to try them out. It was wierd at first, but not entirely bad. Takes a minute to get in them while moving, but getting out is as easy as pushing down on the back of the pedal and rotating out. I'll leave them in for a bit to get a better idea, but eventually I'd like to move to clipless, especially since I plan on using this for cyclocross as well.

I'm liking the drop bars. I'm not quite used to them yet, and so I'm (still) adjusting both myself and the bars to feel good. Gears shift smoothly, everything just glides right along. The brakes are still a bit wonky, I'm trying to dial them in just right, but cantilever brakes have always given me problems.

The ride to work was fairly nice, gave me a good feel for the bike. I'd never actually understood what people meant by "snappy" until now, even though I'm sure it's not much compared to other bikes, it's still a huge difference from the other bike. I like it. Turning is a dream, too, as I find myself falling into deeper angles and sharper corners. I'm gonna take it out to the park later and find my falling point.

All in all, good morning!
Old 10-31-08, 12:58 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride in. Luckily rode in the gap between downpours and it was warm. Can only hope that happens again this evening. I stopped and helped someone with a flat, but unfortunately, his tire just wouldn't hold air - more problems than we could see in the dark (I suspected pinch flat) so he walked to nearest bus stop. Super nice guy and he was grateful for some help. Just hoping that ride home can be a bit dry as well, although traffic could be horrid as it's Halloween party time and I'm riding through downtown later than usual, at height of rush hour...
Old 10-31-08, 01:34 PM
slloth

Bikes: '72 peugeot PX10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VolGirl
I wanted to wear a skirt and heels, just because.
If I wore a skirt and heels I would probably lose my job. Damn narrow minded people. Equal rights for men to!
Old 10-31-08, 01:39 PM
kgriffioen
Go Leafs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had my first flat this morning. I was totally unprepared and had to call work and get a ride the rest of the way. Went to the LBS and now I am prepared for the next time. It hit 70 today in Milwaukee. Its going to be great taking the boys out tonight trick or treating.

By the way, Happy Reformation Day too!!
Old 10-31-08, 02:54 PM
degnaw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got run off the road for the first time - rite of passage, I guess

I was riding eastbound, about 2 feet from the white line, at about 20mph (slight downhill) on a rural, shoulderless, 35mph limit road. There was a narrow yellow cross-hatched median to the left that ended about 10 feet ahead, and I hear a vehicle coming up behind me. I look in my mirror to see a white cargo van coming towards me on the cross-hatched area at a pretty fast speed, so I have to hit the brakes and bail onto the grass to my right to avoid getting buzzed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
runoff.JPG (12.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-31-08, 03:03 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Battery problems today. Actually not problems, just poor charging on my part.

First the Shuffle dies within the first mile so I turn around to get a different iPod and that one dies after about 3 miles and by then I didn't want to turn around. Also my helmet light batteries went dead about half way through. Still quite nice though...about 30 with gorgeous clear skies at 4:30 AM.
Old 10-31-08, 06:00 PM
Matt1972
Fairweather Bike Commuter

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weighed myself this morning before I rolled out- au natural I weigh 238. I remember not long ago I weighed 253. I need a haircut, so I may weigh even less. I worked 8-5 today- morning was chilly like a New England morning is this time of year. If I drove in, I would've been behind a schoolbus, but I just passed it and the 10 or so cars behind it. The ride home was fine. I was fiddling with the velcro straps on one of my cycling shoes, and the store detective appeared, "Oh, it's you! I thought someone was over here ripping paper!" Tomorrow I'm working 12-9, I may get a haircut before work..
Old 10-31-08, 06:26 PM
buttmonkey

Bikes: giant fcr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About the same as yesterday, another 20 miles rt. I did get my winterizing in. Fenders and rainwear purchased. First went to REI in Berkeley, they had mud-flap fenders for $39. I didn't have the right tools with me to install and they wanted $25 to put on. I hemmed a little and then gave in. Sure, stick them on, I said.

Are you a member? Uh, no. Oh.

Then it'll be $35 to install.

Sorry, no deal I said. Went to VeloSport bike shop and bought the same fenders for $30 and they installed no charge. Heh. Pays to shop around. Bought raingear at a Mountain shop. Wanted Gore-tex but no-one seemed to stock any shells, just heavy parka like stuff.
Old 10-31-08, 09:31 PM
Wake
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bad day - going into the parking lot I decided to pull a fast turn. A second later I was on the ground with a road-rashed and bruised knee, torn pants, etc. Got lots of attention from folks at work while I emptied the first-aid kit and put a couple of 4x4's on the "badge of honor". At 63 years of age, I guess they were amazed that I was still in one piece!

Turns out the new parking lot asphalt is a little slick - stone aggregate was smooth instead of sharp like most roads, tires are probably several-year-old hybrid road slicks - the combination was just too much (or little).

This gives me a better excuse to get a new bike.
Old 10-31-08, 10:17 PM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's an argument against wearing an iPod. I didn't ride with mine for the first time this week and what i heard was disturbing. Apparently a family of mice have taken up residence somewhere in my drivetrain and were complaining vigorously with every pedal stroke.
Old 10-31-08, 11:51 PM
slloth

Bikes: '72 peugeot PX10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by degnaw
I got run off the road for the first time - rite of passage, I guess

I was riding eastbound, about 2 feet from the white line, at about 20mph (slight downhill) on a rural, shoulderless, 35mph limit road. There was a narrow yellow cross-hatched median to the left that ended about 10 feet ahead, and I hear a vehicle coming up behind me. I look in my mirror to see a white cargo van coming towards me on the cross-hatched area at a pretty fast speed, so I have to hit the brakes and bail onto the grass to my right to avoid getting buzzed
I would take the road next time till there is room for the vehicle to pass. Then move over to the edge when it is safe.
Old 11-01-08, 06:17 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I tallied up my mileage for October and realized that I had my highest monthly bike commuting mileage ever -- 422 miles. My total cycling for the month was 612 miles, about average for me, but usually about half of my mileage comes from longer weekend rides. My weekend riding was off in October due to traveling, work and weather, but commuting took up the slack.
Old 11-01-08, 06:43 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No work this Saturday for me, but I did almost get hit by a car full of teenagers while riding to the supermarket to pick up a few things. Almost fell off my bike, but I was able to put a foot down and prevent the fall.
Old 11-02-08, 07:38 AM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I forgot about the one big bonus of the time change: For a few weeks, I'll be able to see the sun coming up when I ride to work! The sky is absolutely beautiful just before sunrise.

The ride itself was nippy...and fast, because I overslept.
Old 11-02-08, 09:09 AM
clydesdale
230lb Hill Climber

Bikes: Gaint TCR, Rincon/ Batavus/ Nishiki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride in today. I can not believe it is Nov in Colorado with this weather. The time change helped provide enough light.
Old 11-02-08, 11:46 AM
Caleab

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slloth
If I wore a skirt and heels I would probably lose my job. Damn narrow minded people. Equal rights for men to!
We were discussing something like this at my place of employment. No reason that guys shouldn't be able to wear kilts to work. Ever see the utili-kilt ?

so mix wearing that and commuting in... and being in the IT world... well.. it could be hella fun.
Old 11-02-08, 01:09 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Off work for a week so more of a pleasure/good health ride then a commute but I did ride past my office.

I left and it was in the low 50's. I got home and it was 70. I way over dressed and got hot. 5 miles in I was shedding the heavy jacket. 8 miles I shed the light one and rode in my base layer and jersey. My medium tights (my latent weekend Lycra addiction) were pretty hot by the time I got home. Should have gone with the light ones.

Ended up making a 20 mile loop out to My Aunts house that I don't visit nearly enough. Unfortunately she was not at home and chances are she was working her part time job at Cracker barrel that I also pass every day on my Comute. I may have to go visit her and get a pecan waffle and smoked sausage while I am there to recover the 1100 calories I burned.

Pretty good run. Think tomorrow I will go hit the Silver Comet rail-trail and ride 20-30 miles while ped traffic is light with folks at work. Drop in at Rockmart GA and ride up to the Brushy mt Tunnel and back down toward one the the trail heads closer to Cedartown GA snd check out the final section that was completed last month. Maybe later this week I will ride Cedar Town GA to Anniston AL.
Old 11-02-08, 06:03 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
rode to work on friday dressed as Abe Lincoln. It was a blast! Actually, what gave me the idea was, about a month ago, as I was passing a group of litle girls waiting at their bus stop, one yelled out "hey abraham lincoln!" i suppose it had to do with the beard, and i waved hello. well, they see me pas them pretty often and yell "hi mr. lincoln!" and whatnot, so i thought i would go all out and give them a funny story to go to school with.

it worked out perfectly! I passed them as they were walking to their bus stop, and they freaked out! haha it was great, they shouted "it's really him! abarham lincoln!...i waved and we all laughed

i also won the 'most realistic' costume contest at work, and rode home with a big gift basket in my front basket, still dressed as abe.....i got plenty of smiles, honks, "hey abe!".....all in all a great halloween commute, and being dressed so funny mus have cheered people up too, no one gave me greif
Old 11-02-08, 09:16 PM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding to and from work in the dark is going to take some getting used to (I work 0600-1800, and am used to going to work in the dark and home when it's light). It's very strange that my ride home is just as dark as my ride in!

Still, it was very cool to see the moon and stars. I love clear nights. And now I'll be able to wear the same cold-weather gear home that I wore in.
Old 11-02-08, 09:50 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VolGirl
Must confess. Despite it being a beautiful day for commuting, I wanted to wear a skirt and heels, just because. So I drove in this morning.
https://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/

It's possible. : D
Old 11-02-08, 10:42 PM
Matt1972

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need an Incredibell or an AirZounds system. I almost pedaled into a guy who was on a cellphone. That'll teach me to stay on the road and not cut through a mini-plaza parking lot. All in all, however, it was a good commute to work- sunny in the 40's. I ordered a cyclocomputer from Hashbar, I mean Nashbar, so I'll soon get a better idea on speed and travel time. It seems to stand at a good 20 minutes. I put my aeorbar on yesterday ( had to use masking tape to thicken the areas on the handlear where the clamps are attached- ghetto!) The only spot where my Vega headlight can go is at the apex of the aerobar. I realized tonight on the way home that the light illuminates the raod a lot better than before. previously, the brake cables blocked partially the beam.
Old 11-02-08, 10:48 PM
clydesdale
230lb Hill Climber

Bikes: Gaint TCR, Rincon/ Batavus/ Nishiki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by girljen
Riding to and from work in the dark is going to take some getting used to (I work 0600-1800, and am used to going to work in the dark and home when it's light). It's very strange that my ride home is just as dark as my ride in!

Still, it was very cool to see the moon and stars. I love clear nights. And now I'll be able to wear the same cold-weather gear home that I wore in.
I work from 0700-1900 I know how you feel. This morning it was bright did not have to use my lights in front, just my blinky in the back. You get use to the dark though and begin to enjoy it. Do you find it easier to ride after shift or before? I like the ride home the most myself.
Old 11-02-08, 10:50 PM
Matt1972

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mean, "partially blocked the beam"
"raod"= "road"
Old 11-03-08, 02:06 AM
trombone
<user defined text>

Bikes: 80's peugeot. Somewhat knackered. Lovely new Salsa Casseroll singlespeed.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warm again this morning.
I've been riding with the fixed gear the past few weeks - a new thing, but I'm getting used to it.

Just how used was evident today when I took my other bike for various reasons. It felt extremely weird to stop pedaling!

Annoying thing is that I have a slow puncture. I took out the tube to check it, but there was no leak that I could find. So I put it all back together again, but it's still going soft. I think the tube is toast. How tedious - I'll need to get a new tube and replace it. Wish I'd done it the first time I took it out.
Old 11-03-08, 02:52 AM
mhifoe

Bikes: Genesis Equlibrium, Salsa Vaya, Claud Butler Urban 100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am back commuting today after 6 weeks off the bike due to a new baby.

Last time I commuted it was light and I was still in shorts, but much has changed in the intervening weeks. The tights, jacket and reflective vest have been dug out of the wardrobe for another winter.

This evening will also give me a chance to try out my new fenix headlight which replaces a Cateye 530 which failed at the bracket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.