Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 05:48 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
feeling not so good this morning...grrrr
Old 11-03-08, 06:34 AM
Thomas Brock

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other than ending at my office, the ride this morning was great. It was bright, warm (but not too warm) and the sky had a lovely light gray of cloud cover. Didn't see any other cyclo-commuters, so I'm wondering if I'm it for the winter...
Old 11-03-08, 06:55 AM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
52 this morning and overcast, nice ride in. For some unknown reason I've shaved almost 10 minutes off my ride time the last two trips.
I must be hitting the lights better.

Going to be recreational riding for a week as my little guy goes in for tonsil surgery and I'm taking the week off.
Old 11-03-08, 07:02 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I spent a hour cleaning and lubing my bike yesterday, so of course we had unexpected rain today. It was supposed to be clear with clouds rolling in later in the day and showers tonight. I had my bike all packed up before I checked the morning weather on TV. Surprise, surprise, they were wrong again on their forecast. It was already raining --actually a light mist. I went ahead and cycled to work since I had all of my gear ready, even though I don't normally ride in the rain. It was just a light mist, but it kept sticking to my glasses and making it hard to see. Fortunately it wasn't raining hard enough to make the roads wet and splashy.

Another reason I wanted to ride today is that my new Dinotte tail-light came on Saturday, and I wanted to try it out. It was hard to tell how much more effective it was since it was so much brighter this morning with the end of daylight savings time. The rain made it darker, however. I didn't notice any difference in how the cars reacted to me in traffic, but I felt a little safer.
Old 11-03-08, 07:02 AM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clydesdale
I work from 0700-1900 I know how you feel. This morning it was bright did not have to use my lights in front, just my blinky in the back. You get use to the dark though and begin to enjoy it. Do you find it easier to ride after shift or before? I like the ride home the most myself.
While the ride to work is easier, since it's downhill, it's SO hard to get my butt out of the house! I'm always ready to ride home, even uphill in traffic in the dark. So...I guess it's a toss-up.

Then again, if all commutes were like the one this morning, I'd get out of the house on time with a smile on my face every day! The weather was beautiful, the sky was clear, the stars were out. There was no wind. No traffic, either, but the stoplights worked out in my favor anyway.

Old 11-03-08, 07:44 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of my best commutes yet!

Beautiful weather, no wind, sane traffic. I arrived at work with one heck of an endorphin buzz.

I saw two other commuters, but they were both on the sidewalk.
Old 11-03-08, 07:44 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was full daylight out when I left this morning. Just as I anticipated, there were more cars on the road, which to me is not a good thing. I believe people are more likely to drive if there is light out, but I'm sure I will adapt given enough time.

Last edited by SouthFLpix; 11-03-08 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-03-08, 07:50 AM
pueblonative

Bikes: Roadmaster 26 Men's Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bad thing is that I'm racing the sun down on the back end of my commute, which usually also means dealing with tired drivers.
Old 11-03-08, 08:09 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
had en enjoyable ride in, decided to take the singlespeed in so i could give my legs a little break...mounted the headlight on the bars but i may not need it, spotted a few other bike commuters which is always nice to see

Old 11-03-08, 08:15 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Upper 30sF. 30-35MPH headwind coming off Champlain. It wasn't too bad when I was a little bit inland but if I could see the water, I was getting blasted and it was slow. Took me about 5 minutes longer to go 6.5 miles.

I saw a large flock of waterfowl riding big waves with whitecaps. Also saw a boat with blinds up around it and a string of duck decoys trailing it. It's hunting season but I'm not sure this guy's location was legal.

Didn't see any cyclists. Just 3 or 4 peds.
Old 11-03-08, 09:02 AM
TechKnowGN

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The commute this morning kicked ass. 53 degrees and cloudy, almost no wind. Set a personal best for the commute. 32 minutes for 5.15 miles. I know that's slow for a lot of folks, but for me, it's pretty darn quick. (although I still got passed by a girl in a skirt)

It's going to be gorgeous here the next few days, mornings in the high 40s - low 50s, daytime highs between 65-71. I'll have daylight for both halves of the commute, so my lack of bike lighting won't hurt me this week.

I'm going to be able to commute 3, maybe 4 days this week before the rain comes.

Saw several other commuters, looks like quite a few folks taking advantage of this indian summer.
Old 11-03-08, 09:35 AM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Warmed up 44F today, nice ride in.
Old 11-03-08, 09:40 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was calm and still, then, seemingly from nowhere, a rain/sleet storm rolled in. Of course it involved hellish headwinds (don't they always?). It was pretty sparse though and i didn't get too wet.
Old 11-03-08, 09:59 AM
habernac
commuting Canuck

Bikes: 07 Rocky Mtn ETSX-70, 00 Rocky Mountain Hammer (commuter) 98 Lemond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice and warm today, it was weird due to the time change, I felt like I was late coming in as the sun was up by the time I rolled into work. Snow forecast for tomorrow.
Old 11-03-08, 10:15 AM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mid 40's, 20 above average. What's not to love about that?
Old 11-03-08, 10:41 AM
buttmonkey

Bikes: giant fcr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man bites dog

Yes! This morning I stuck out my foot and clocked the little teeth gnasher who always tries to bite me. Every morning this mid-sized package of gnarl tries to do me harm and I finally got a shoe in his mouth. His owner was out this morning too and cussed me out as his dog went whimpering back to the sidewalk.

A little wet but a fun ride this morning just the same.
Old 11-03-08, 10:46 AM
DCvision

Bikes: Giant Sedona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nobody likes monday morning commutes, but it was nice to have the sun out when I left... easy ride, not pushing it, but enjoying the ride..
Old 11-03-08, 10:55 AM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buttmonkey
Yes! This morning I stuck out my foot and clocked the little teeth gnasher who always tries to bite me. Every morning this mid-sized package of gnarl tries to do me harm and I finally got a shoe in his mouth. His owner was out this morning too and cussed me out as his dog went whimpering back to the sidewalk.

A little wet but a fun ride this morning just the same.
I am imagining that encounter to look like something off Tom & Jerry; a little yappy dog that looks like a tornado, growling and snarling until a *THWACK* with a shoe! Thx for the entertainment!
Old 11-03-08, 11:59 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather was awesome this morning. Shorts! On Nov.3! Then again, I did an 80km road ride yesterday without freezing my ass off, so I shouldn't be surprised. Due to the aforementioned ride, my legs were a little tired, but things went fine regardless.
Old 11-03-08, 12:20 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What a nice commute. First a beautiful view of the Hudson River and the turning leaves in New Jersey from the 158th St. greenway entrance I knew was there but didn't find until today, followed shortly by a fast stop for a girl (I think) with a bad dye job, carrying a tube TV, who couldn't decide where she wanted to be on the greenway, then a flock of geese and the still-novel experience of the freshly opened section near Dinosaur/Fairway. Then down near 52nd some Brooklyn Velo Force guys in full kit coming the other way, neither of whom (on passing inspection) was my friend Mark, so I figured I'd tell him I'd seen his teammates--and not 2 minutes later, none other than Mark himself in full Fred mode (this is him), going North on his single-speed.

And all the bolts got tightened on the Swift while I was hunting down that one *$&% squeak the other day, so it was a nice quiet solid ride.

Two thumbs up. Highly recommended.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538

Last edited by noteon; 11-03-08 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 01:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Came out this morning to find the fendered bike's rear tire flat. Switched to the unfendered race bike. Hope the rain holds off this afternoon. Don't feel like wearing the Freshman Stripe.
Old 11-03-08, 01:35 PM
Metricoclock

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
today was an odd 64F here in michigan, unfortunently the bridge on the MUP was out, so i had to back track and reroute through the arb and down the rocky slick wet paths along the river.
Old 11-03-08, 03:41 PM
martybucs

Bikes: DiamondBack Approach, Diamondback Outlook, Giant Cypress, Schwinn Sprint 10 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cloudy skies, but mild temps and no threat of rain. Both ways were smooth going and fast since I took the airless tires off.
Old 11-03-08, 03:56 PM
Catgrrl70

Bikes: noyb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
47 degrees when I left the house this a.m. in a nice heavy rain. It actually wasn't too cold; rather, I dressed well. Full on raingear. I was fairly dry but for the sweat factor when I got to work. My gear is hanging all over the locker room in as small a space as possible (very few women continue to bike to work in this weather and the locker room is fairly empty this time of year). Deep puddles and slippery bricks were encountered, couldn't avoid some of it and I had a couple front wheel slips on the way in. Must slow down going home as it'll be black as midnight by 4:30 pm. Oh, and pouring down rain again.
Old 11-03-08, 05:00 PM
Thomas Brock

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wet. And it looks like tomorrow's ride in will be just as wet.

Good times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.