Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-08, 07:59 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
fun ride home. Wound up time-trialing it w/ another guy I passed on the way and he then decided to keep up. We shared about 95% of the same route (at least until I peeled off at the end of my road) and, what made it more enjoyable, good luck w/ lights and cars (no red-light runners to deal with)

Today was a crazy day I didn't know how many kids I'd be bringing home until late. Just the one, after all, so rode to his school and biked home w/ him. Beat my wife and daughter home by half an hour.
Old 11-07-08, 08:14 PM
ShooterK2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome commute home today. I took the "long" route (about 13 miles) and rode around the local lake. Found a new use for my "Take-A-Look" mirror: watching the sunset when I'm eastbound!! Nothin' like the sun setting over the water as I'm pedalling home.
Old 11-07-08, 11:06 PM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy Ninja sidewalk cyclists on the way home. If i was handing out the free blinkies i would've had to take out a second mortgage. Okay, slight exageration, i saw 4.
Old 11-08-08, 02:23 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Ride home last night was great. The Down Low Glow really made me feel safe and seen; practically every car that passed me got completely into the other lane to do so, although I did have a few come a bit close. I had one person yell out, "Hey! I like your bike." Man, that never gets old.

Today's ride was hellish. Had headwinds up to 9mph the whole way in. Hopefully that means I'll get a good tailwind tonight. Getting off work at 7:00 tonight, so I'll be riding home in the dark that whole way.
Old 11-08-08, 05:10 PM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Friday evening's commute back to my car was almost a disaster.

I was riding my upright bike, and my pannier fell off (again), with the laptop in it. This happened as I was crossing the bridge in heavy traffic.

Luckily the car behind me braked to avoid running over the bag, but he was following pretty close, and the bag was under the front of the car when he stopped. I ran back, grabbed the bag, jumped on the sidewalk to get everything squared away, and waved to the driver.

If I use the pannier on the upright bike again, I'm gonna zip-tie it to the rack.
Old 11-08-08, 11:10 PM
Matt1972
Fairweather Bike Commuter

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I left my clunky work shoes at work lastnight so I didn't have to stuff them in my backpack today. The mailman dropped off a package from Nashbar- it contained my Ascent V cyclecomputer and my bar end blinkies. I didn't have time to install the computer before I left , so I did it after I got home tonight. Numbers appear when I spin the front tire, so I guess it works- I'll see tomorrow, weather permitting..Tonight was misty, but I got home before the clouds opened up.
Old 11-09-08, 07:29 AM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As usual in the mornings, I just could not get my butt out of the house. This morning was BAD, though. I left five minutes late, so my commute to work became the Late To Work Time Trial Stage.

I dodged a couple cars delivering newspapers. I hate those things. They don't watch for anything except their next delivery stop, they drive erratically (without signaling, because their hazards are on), and if there are two of them, they will drive two abreast going the same direction down a side street, very slowly, giving me no room to pass. Their only saving grace is that they roll with their drivers side windows down, so they can hear my bell.

Rant over. Anyway, other than that, it was a nice and very quick ride.
Old 11-09-08, 07:34 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by girljen
Late To Work Time Trial Stage.
Old 11-09-08, 08:31 AM
Pig_Chaser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is day #7 of straight commuting. Lucky me, i get to work all weekend . Legs were pretty sore yesterday on day #6 but i took it really really ez and they've recovered nicely, maybe even better than they would with time off.
Old 11-09-08, 03:50 PM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The commute home last night was sublime. First complete ride at night. There's a section of E. Railroad, where it runs behind the old VA home, that has no streetlights and my lights, including the Down Low Glow, stood out spectacularly. I made a quick detour to the Subway shop about a block from our apartment to get me some dinner before heading home; first time I was on Pass Road at night. A little nervous, but no problems. Trés cool.
Old 11-09-08, 09:39 PM
Matt1972
Fairweather Bike Commuter

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Satellite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute to work began well- I usually have to dismount and wait for a break in traffic, walk briskly across a two lane road (Route 28- the main drag...) and then clip back in. Today I had pleasure to just roll out. I was met with a headwind, however, and it slowed me down a bit. I got to work on time- worked 11:50 AM until 9:15. My cyclecomputer is working, though it's set for a 700x25 tire, not a 700x23, which is what I have. It says my average speed was 11.3 mph. Gotta work on that... Anyway, the ride home tonight was fine- it was good to sit when I got home, though.
Old 11-10-08, 12:29 AM
Metricoclock

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Miyata 310 (conversion)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had snow this after noon, yep the first real snow of the year. Some is still collected on the cars outside.
Old 11-10-08, 04:13 AM
jogya03
half way commuter

Bikes: few folders, road bike, and MTB

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For the last few months, I only half commute, going to my office with my folder, and come back home with bike inside my wife's car. Just too much rain here in Balikpapan, East Borneo.
Old 11-10-08, 06:38 AM
JoeSoMD
Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful stars today. First day back on the bike in a month having just returned from a job in the Philippines. It was warm there. It is cold here in Maryland. I need better socks.
Old 11-10-08, 06:48 AM
samsmeg
Wear a helmet

Bikes: 1975 Dawes Super Galaxy 531 tubes, 1998 Condor Squadra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time I've posted in this thread! Today in the UK was a little wet (last night was torrential) and this morning I found it hard to get up so I decided for the first time I'd do the first 12 miles by car then cycle the 14 miles left. I just hope where I parked my car is ok; in a tiny lane next to some large houses, should be OK.

The ride back to my car is gonna be wet though, FUN! And i didnt even bring anything to protect my seats in the car from the wet bike dam it!

Sam
Old 11-10-08, 07:26 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday I spent about an hour cleaning my drive train. I had the chain soaking in mineral spirits for 3 days, then I cleaned it up with a cloth, and soaked it in prolink. Also did the derailleurs and cleaned up the cassette.

This morning it was raining. The prolink should hold okay though.

Mid 30sF. Bit of a tailwind. I do like riding in the rain. With the tailwind I had no wind noise so it was just the gentle whir of the tires and the sound of raindrops hitting my jacket.

5 miles of empty MUP. Not a single other person. Just the occasional squirrel.
Old 11-10-08, 07:48 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
i managed to get out and ride saturday and sunday which is unusual...saturday night i was heading to my friends house to hang out and drink some wine so i grabbed the poncho and headed out and it was wonderful and slightly scary due to wet leaves and not really being able to see all of the little cracks and holes in the road...sunday i did a 20 mile ride and checked out some of the headlights in south portland and also stopped at willard beach...i had a good time riding in this morning, it was about 43 when i left the house and i saw a few other commuters

Old 11-10-08, 07:48 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of my easiest commutes ever. My legs were well rested so no fatigue problems, the weather was cool enough that I was able to pump pretty hard without breaking a sweat, and traffic posed no major obstacles. Effortless.
Old 11-10-08, 08:07 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Meh. I caged it.

I was kind of on the fence regarding the weather- predictions of thunderstorms, maybe even hail. Still I probably would have ridden this morning and played the afternoon by ear; we rarely get sustained t-storms and could have probably waited out a storm at work. But then I was planning the rest of my day.... Let's see, after work I gotta go to Costco and pick up some flooring.... well, since Costco is like 1/4 mile from my office, it hardly makes sense to ride to work, ride home, probably in the rain, then drive back to the place I rode from.

I have this Friday off; I'll make sure a ride an extra 15 miles to make up for it. I promise!

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-10-08, 08:15 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mid 30s this morning. No rain. Nice ride. I was overdressed a bit (other than my feet, which got cold)

I was on the recumbent took a slightly longer route (17.5 miles vs 16.5), averaged only 13.4 mph. Oh, and I was festive.
Old 11-10-08, 08:19 AM
Thomas Brock

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chilly ride in.

Silly gate guard stopped me at the very last possible second which caused me to lose my balance and drop the bike. No damage other than my already-malfunctioning Sigma DTS 1106 mount broke.

Other than that, it was just another ride in.
Old 11-10-08, 09:11 AM
Pig_Chaser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the commute home last night i wiped out. I was going through a construction zone and there was this 2' drop, i went into it at about a jogging pace. The ground was too soft at the bottom and my 23c cut into it like a pizza cutter into a deep dish with extra cheeze. I nearly endo'd but threw my weight back and then went over sideways instead.

Today marks day #8 of straight commuting... it could also be my last commute of the year.
Old 11-10-08, 09:22 AM
Ka_Jun
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^hope you're okay. Cold as hell this morning, deployed the fleece vest & tights...probably could go down to 20F w/ that setup. Dusting of snow. Saw one other commuter, two other diehards on the rack @ work.
Old 11-10-08, 09:39 AM
cyclaw
hammer hammer hammer!

Bikes: '99 Brodie Energy mtb, old Bianchi roadie, crappy old utility bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pig_Chaser
On the commute home last night i wiped out. I was going through a construction zone and there was this 2' drop, i went into it at about a jogging pace. The ground was too soft at the bottom and my 23c cut into it like a pizza cutter into a deep dish with extra cheeze. I nearly endo'd but threw my weight back and then went over sideways instead.

Today marks day #8 of straight commuting... it could also be my last commute of the year.
Nice avy there, PC! I'm originally from E-town.. whatta game on Saturday eh? Go Esks Go!!

Anyways, hope you didn't get too bruised/cut up from your crash there.

As for my commute this morning, it was f***ing cold. 1 celsius plus a bit of cross wind. Fingers and ears freezing up. Gotta break out the ear warmer and better gloves next time.
Old 11-10-08, 09:40 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pig_Chaser
On the commute home last night i wiped out. I was going through a construction zone and there was this 2' drop
Holy cow, I've seen bad stuff in construction zones, but they normally put barricades up for a two-foot drop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.