Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 09:15 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I'm taking the whole Thanksgiving week off, so I'm not technically commuting. But I did ride a route that was pretty much the same as my normal commute today; I had to pick up a couple things at Best Buy which is over near my office. Nasty wind out of the north on the way in, which made the ride home much easier!

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-24-08, 10:00 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not really commuting but I rode around for around an hour and a half just trying to teach myself how to track stand....it was actually really good exercise, going that slow i mean, holding yourself up for long periods of time works your muscles pretty good. I'm starting to get it down, but need more practice. It was a good ride though, it was raining a little and in the mid 40's I'll guess. I have really started liking riding in the rain.

On a side note also tried out my new gloves, the kind that can be half finger or mittens...i bought them from Tractor supply for 8 bucks, and they are completely waterproof...and my hands were warm enough to start sweating, but the inside wicks the moisture away...really good gloves for the price!
Old 11-24-08, 11:52 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
whizzed in quick this morning- don't know why I was going faster than usual.

and oddly enough buzzed home pretty fast too. Hmmmm? Probably the last of fast rides before the winter trudges become more every day. Less wind I think.

Tomorrow heavy rains and high winds predicted. That'll bring me back to reality.
Old 11-25-08, 05:36 AM
MIKEnDC
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice this morning--44F/6-7C with a bit of headwind that made me think of "bureaucratic resistance" (yeah, I watched JFK over the weekend ).

Rain overnight and some showers in the area this morning, but I didn't find any on my way in. Heck, the sidewalls on my tires weren't even wet. Make a parcel, please, I'll take it.
Old 11-25-08, 06:08 AM
chrism32205

Bikes: Bianchi Axis (commuter), Specialized Tricross S-Works, BMC Team Machine SLT01, Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Nice 54° F here this morning, although looking cloudy but the weather channel said 10% chance of rain.

No traffic problems lately.. hmm.. things are good, but did have a lady walking in the do not walk crosswalk as I had the green. She was texting, never looked up, I slowed down some and went by her, she shreeked in omg.. The lesson is, be aware of your surroundings.
Old 11-25-08, 06:42 AM
Thomas Brock

Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Balmy 50°s here, too, and slightly damp. Roads were wet from an overnight rain.

Nice ride with no surprises.
Old 11-25-08, 06:42 AM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chrism32205
A Nice 54° F here this morning, although looking cloudy but the weather channel said 10% chance of rain.

No traffic problems lately.. hmm.. things are good, but did have a lady walking in the do not walk crosswalk as I had the green. She was texting, never looked up, I slowed down some and went by her, she shreeked in omg.. The lesson is, be aware of your surroundings.
For real. People ought to be glad that I'm a goodguy. I could do soo much damage on my bike. I lost count of the number of tough guys/ gangbangers I quietly rode by and they never knew I went by.

Nothing to report this morning. 40 degrees and dark. Quiet ride in. Stopped at my donut shop to pick up a couple of croissants.
Ernest
Old 11-25-08, 06:52 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weird. Bit of an easterly wind, which neither helps nor hinders. Temps right around the freezing point but rising steadily. Very intermittent light rain. I mounted the studded Hakkas last night just in case things were ice-coated this morning. It's hard to say whether the effort was wasted. Things seemed mostly wet but some streets were slushy and there was definite ice on my driveway.

Only saw one other person on the MUP, a runner. On the road, I met a young woman on an MTB riding uphill. She didn't have studs. Two bikes at my building when I arrived. It's nice to see people out when it's not sunny and 70F.
Old 11-25-08, 07:18 AM
FredOak
SA[in]NE

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freezing rain on the way home last night, freezing rain on the way on this morning, plus some decent gusts...oh joy!

Plus the front seam on my rain jacket totally split, not how I wanted to start my day!
Old 11-25-08, 07:35 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Didn't ride this morning due to some serious wind and rain. I am going to run on the treadmill at work at lunchtime instead, it felt strange to drive this morning but I got to listen to my favorite local radio station. When I opened my car door the wind forced the door and it might have put the door out of wack because now I have to really slam it to get it to close, it figures something like this happens when I do decide to drive....GRRRR, no big deal I guess.

Old 11-25-08, 07:38 AM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The ride home last night was a stress-induced hammer fest. Get me out of here!!!

As a result, I'm sore this morning. My calves are screaming at me. The ride in this morning wasn't bad, though, I actually left on time so I could go at a mellow pace. It was warmer than yesterday (ok, 25 degrees instead of 15, but still an improvement), and I got to work in time to put on makeup and make coffee. Bonus!
Old 11-25-08, 07:49 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last night I was sitting home at 8pm looking at another boring night at home, when I just said, "the heck with it, I'm going for a ride." So I rode around the streets of the city without a plan or care in the world until 11pm. It was awesome. This morning my legs were a bit worn out, but I made it to work without issue. Traffic was higher then normal and the streets were damp.
Old 11-25-08, 07:58 AM
road_rascal
What member?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little cool this morning. About 14F when I got to work this morning. A least it isn't icy yet!
Old 11-25-08, 08:23 AM
kgriffioen
Go Leafs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First commute since last Thursday. Was right around 26F this morning with a clear blue sky and the wind should die down a bit for the ride home. The roads were nice and clean, no icy patches. (we had 2-3 inches of snow yesterday) I think I was way over dressed. I sweated through 4 layers on top but I was nice and warm. Tomorrows forecast calls for more of the same, maybe even a bit warmer. I better ride as much as I can before I eat myself into a coma on Thursday!!
Old 11-25-08, 08:34 AM
harleyfrog
An Army of Fred

Location: Lost South of Nowhere East of Edan On the Waterfront Far from the Madding Crowd (Biloxi, MS)

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads Trail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
No commutes this week. I crashed during a club ride on Sunday; scraped my left knee and right ankle from the chainring, and pulled something in my left calf. Now I'm walking around with a slight limp.
Old 11-25-08, 09:02 AM
Galoot

Bikes: 1975 Coppi Campionissimo, 1980 Raleigh Grand Sport, 1983 Trek 520, 1983 Ciocc, 1995 Trek 520

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lovely 8.5 mile ride in to work today, about 22F when I left the house. I'm sure to get some comments from the students today, walking around in shorts and sandals!

A few more days, and I'll probably have to switch over to the studded front tire. I'll probably have to switch to the beater commuter too, rather than the nice Trek 520.
Old 11-25-08, 09:02 AM
stevemtbr
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good ride home last night, cold, dry and clear. Left as the sun was setting and it was totally dark when I hit the woods. About half way through the ride I stop in a clearing, turned the lights off and just checked out the stars and enjoyed the total silence. It was great.
Old 11-25-08, 09:46 AM
floriderron

Bikes: Trek, Giant, Schwinn, Sun Recumbant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wonderful ride into work today. I took time to stop and "smell the roses." One of the canals I pass was calm with lilly pads everywhere and the second was calm also except where I spooked the gators when I stopped. Warmer today around 55 when I started out with calm winds which was nice for a change. The 30 mile ride home will be a different story, the headwinds are supposed to be about 10--20. Gotta take the good with the bad.
Old 11-25-08, 10:24 AM
Fantasminha

Bikes: Giant FCR, Scott CR1 Team, Fuji Newest 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Overslept this morning (i do at least once a week) so I was behind schedule. Decided I didn't care since no one would be in the office this week anyway. It's true too--I'm here nearly by myself.

The ride was great. 37 degrees, sunny, no wind. Bummer I forgot my long finger gloves. The four-wheelers were all wierded out this morning for some reason but I managed to dodge them all. Great riding weather!
Old 11-25-08, 10:36 AM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uneventful ride this morning (though I think some guys in a dump truck behind me yelled at me for taking the lane; another classic case of "don't you realize we can't hear a damn thing you say when you yell out your car window?").

I had to pick up a job from my company's print center this morning on my way to the locker room to change. I've talked to the printer there once or twice about commuting and my routine. This morning he said, "I've got to ask you a serious question. Weren't you freezing yesterday??? I saw you come in dressed as you were and couldn't believe you weren't cold!"

Well, I wasn't cold yesterday. I told him the layers I wear are warmer than they look (2 layers of UnderArmour on my torso and brushed fabric tights on my legs), and of course I'm working to pedal the whole way here. He just shook his head in disbelief. Of course, the fact that he's originally from the Middle East might have something to do with his reaction; he probably thinks it's cold here in the summer.
Old 11-25-08, 10:47 AM
Brett77

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light rain in the morning but it cleared up as I made it out of the city. The ride flew by today because I getting to some intense parts of my audio book (listening to No Country For Old Men now, Clockwork Orange is next). I hit up the highway for the last 10 km or so and probably averaged a good 38km/h with a nice tailwind. Overall good ride.
Old 11-25-08, 10:59 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man i was cold, i thought i might've overdressed, definatly not the case. My toes were darn near numb as i reached work.
Old 11-25-08, 11:08 AM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rainy and cold in NYC. I saw a total of three cyclists going in my direction this morning: Me, the woman who caught up with me and chatted as we rolled, and the guy who passed us.

But even better than the chat: My feet stayed toasty dry all the way to work (11 miles). I still need real rain paints to go over the tights, but the wet sock issue is SOLVED.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 11-25-08, 11:23 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
The thermometer said 40F but it felt colder. Glad I wore tights. No need for long sleeves under the coat though.
Old 11-25-08, 12:15 PM
T-Hussy
Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Epic Carbon 92', Old-school fully-rigid specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another great day to bike in Denver, about 35 and sunny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.