Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycling compared to walking

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 06:37 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts

Not that long ago I read a few books by Sebastian Junger, one of which detailed his long backpacking trip on foot he'd made with a couple of colleagues. Both books are worth reading. I encourage people in the burbs to ride a bike to the store or for short errands rather than take the car. But, walking is also an alternative for these errands. You can can't carry as much and it is slower. But, the fact that it is slower makes it more inherently pensive as you move along. I find that taking a break from riding the bike and putting one foot in front of the other is a nice departure. (The quote below is not from one of Jungers books, yet incidental).

Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 05-06-23, 06:46 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Very thought provoking. Personally, I enjoy walking several miles per day with my dog. As for my personal fitness and training, nothing beats riding my bike. Walking, in my eyes, is a leisure activity where riding is an athletic endeavor.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 05-06-23, 06:50 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Not that long ago I read a few books by Sebastian Junger, one of which detailed his long backpacking trip on foot he'd made with a couple of colleagues. Both books are worth reading. I encourage people in the burbs to ride a bike to the store or for short errands rather than take the car. But, walking is also an alternative for these errands. You can can't carry as much and it is slower. But, the fact that it is slower makes it more inherently pensive as you move along. I find that taking a break from riding the bike and putting one foot in front of the other is a nice departure. (The quote below is not from one of Jungers books, yet incidental).

Old 05-06-23, 07:15 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
While not perfect, there is a rough proportionality as one progresses through modes of transportation.
Ten to twenty miles is a good day of walking, and a good hour on a bike.
Fifty to sixty miles is a good day on a bike, or an hour in a car.
Five hundred is a long day in a car, or an hour in a plane.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-06-23, 07:26 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
It depends on where you're walking. If its in my neighborhood (a typical suburban concrete jungle), then its boring and forgettable. If its a walk in the woods, on the beach, or up in the countryside (like the Camino de Santiago mentioned in the article), then its interesting. I'll still prefer a bicycle on city streets.
Old 05-06-23, 07:58 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Walking, in my eyes, is a leisure activity where riding is an athletic endeavor.
Mostly maybe, but it might depend on the terrain and how hard you choose to push it. I can remember some pretty challenging hikes and some pretty easy rides.

These days I get most of my exercise riding. My dog has aged out of any walks that are at all demanding and running is out of the question. She was my trail running and hiking buddy for years. We ran quite a few thousands of miles together. These days I offer her a walk three times per day. On a really good day she will walk around the block two of those times. Some days she will decline two or all three. In that case she lays in the grass in the front yard at walk time and watches the neighbors go by while we sit in the adirondack chairs.

I love my bike, but I'd give up riding in a heartbeat to be able to trail run and hike with her again. She was am awesome trail dog.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 05-06-23, 08:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
While not perfect, there is a rough proportionality as one progresses through modes of transportation.
Ten to twenty miles is a good day of walking, and a good hour on a bike.
Fifty to sixty miles is a good day on a bike, or an hour in a car.
Five hundred is a long day in a car, or an hour in a plane.
When I have backpacked it always surprised me how long it takes to get from A to B compared to cycling. I remember one time looking at a map that showed a camping area 5 miles away. After walking more I pulled out a map because I thought I had passed it and realized I had only gone another 3 miles. And I’m a city boy, so walking places is an everyday occurrence.
Old 05-06-23, 08:35 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Outrider1
Very thought provoking. Personally, I enjoy walking several miles per day with my dog. As for my personal fitness and training, nothing beats riding my bike. Walking, in my eyes, is a leisure activity where riding is an athletic endeavor.
I entered a hospital on 12/31 and was there on in rehab for 3 months after heart surgery. During that time, I didn’t put a foot on the ground for two months. When I did finally start I had to use a walker, even in the house. I’ve since graduated to a cane, and I try not to use it. Yesterday I did a walk of maybe 3 miles. My legs were shot. About to head out again. It’s nice to be somewhat mobile again.
Old 05-06-23, 08:54 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
But, the fact that it is slower makes it more inherently pensive as you move along.
If slow speed increases pensiveness, I guess that means there are a lot of philosophers sitting around on the sofa every evening.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-06-23, 08:57 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts

This makes sense, but only if you walk barefoot, or maybe in mocassins made from the hides of animals you've honored.
Old 05-06-23, 09:17 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
If I could out pace mosquitoes or flies that swarm dog poop, walking might be entertained....
since the bicycle can, I'll stick with it. Plus, I can't outrun a stray aggressive dog, cycling I can.
Old 05-06-23, 10:26 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Walking good. Running good. Biking good.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 05-06-23, 11:17 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Waking forces me to be more pensive about how little ground I'm covering and how much less efficient I am at moving. My personal preference is to never walk something that I can't bike. Of course there is a crossover point at which if the distance is so short I'd rather walk than worry about locking up my bike, but for the most part I feel adequately connected with my environment when I'm on a bike. Admittedly less so than when I'm on foot but that's ok by me. An hour of walking gets me 3-4 miles. Where I live, that's mostly suburban and unremarkable. An hour is about what a round trip walk to the second nearest (more importantly, preferred) Starbucks would be (we now have a Dunkin closer to home, but I digress). On a bike, that 3-4 mile trip is covered in 15 minutes.

Last edited by tFUnK; 05-06-23 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-06-23, 11:33 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Walking is great when it turns into a hike.

Tried the roundtrip walk to the local market consisting of about 4 miles R/T.
I did not realize how much weight stress is on the shoulders from holding a couple of moderately heavy canvas grocery bags full of produce and bakery items for 30 minutes.
Old 05-06-23, 11:35 AM
Pratt

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
In City Boy Terms

Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I have backpacked it always surprised me how long it takes to get from A to B compared to cycling. I remember one time looking at a map that showed a camping area 5 miles away. After walking more I pulled out a map because I thought I had passed it and realized I had only gone another 3 miles. And I’m a city boy, so walking places is an everyday occurrence.
You had gone 60 blocks, and had 40 more to go.
Old 05-06-23, 12:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Mostly maybe, but it might depend on the terrain and how hard you choose to push it. I can remember some pretty challenging hikes and some pretty easy rides.

These days I get most of my exercise riding. My dog has aged out of any walks that are at all demanding and running is out of the question. She was my trail running and hiking buddy for years. We ran quite a few thousands of miles together. These days I offer her a walk three times per day. On a really good day she will walk around the block two of those times. Some days she will decline two or all three. In that case she lays in the grass in the front yard at walk time and watches the neighbors go by while we sit in the adirondack chairs.

I love my bike, but I'd give up riding in a heartbeat to be able to trail run and hike with her again. She was am awesome trail dog.
you brought back fond memories of my late black lab. We ran countless miles, hiked many a mountain and his favorite; mountain biking. He was my outdoor companion for many wonderful years. He even had to knee replacements (TPLO) and he still kept going. Eventually he could only walk a couple of blocks before exhaustion. I still miss him dearly.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-06-23, 12:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
This makes sense, but only if you walk barefoot, or maybe in mocassins made from the hides of animals you've honored.
Barefoot on sun-baked asphalt sprinkled with goat heads -- that's the most authentic mode of transport.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-06-23, 12:48 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

I would wear my gatorskin moccasins for the goatheads.
Old 05-06-23, 01:02 PM
grantelmwood
Banned

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Walking good. Running good. Biking good.

Otto
Walking good. Running bad for knees. Biking good.
Likes For grantelmwood:
Old 05-06-23, 05:06 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by grantelmwood
Walking good. Running bad for knees. Biking good.
You must heelstrike. No problems with knees in minimal shoes with forefoot strike.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 05-06-23, 05:16 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I’ve been riding everywhere for the last 13 years (no car, by choice). Lately I’ve re-discovered the joy of walking, particularly in nature. One of the biggest advantages of walking over cycling for me is that I can listen to music with noise-cancelling earphones. I don’t do that on a bike.
Old 05-06-23, 06:41 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Walking is great when it turns into a hike.

Tried the roundtrip walk to the local market consisting of about 4 miles R/T.
I did not realize how much weight stress is on the shoulders from holding a couple of moderately heavy canvas grocery bags full of produce and bakery items for 30 minutes.
Get a bag which distributes weight across the body. I have walked for miles with heavy loads of groceries that way.
Old 05-06-23, 06:52 PM
CAT7RDR

Okay. This looks doable.

Get a bag which distributes weight across the body. I have walked for miles with heavy loads of groceries that way.
Old 05-06-23, 08:47 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I entered a hospital on 12/31 and was there on in rehab for 3 months after heart surgery. During that time, I didn’t put a foot on the ground for two months. When I did finally start I had to use a walker, even in the house. I’ve since graduated to a cane, and I try not to use it. Yesterday I did a walk of maybe 3 miles. My legs were shot. About to head out again. It’s nice to be somewhat mobile again.
Sorry to hear about that setback. I hope to hear you telling us you're back on your bike soon.
Old 05-06-23, 09:04 PM
runningDoc

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
i bike to work and fun. but i skip lunch and squeeze in a 3mile walk during work too.

intermittent fasting and walking is mainly what I used to lose 60+ lbs in about 5months in 2020 and kept it off since.

the secret is to find low impact cardio that you can enjoy... i don't really love walking but i can pair it with listening to podcasts, teams meetings (on iphone) for work, or calls. its hard to do teams meetings on the bike lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.